Player Discussion Jesperi Kotkaniemi - (On Loan to Liiga)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Intangir

Aug 14, 2008
Montreal, QC
Barkov is also big and plays good twoway game but is very different from Kotka, very.

Barkov is much better defensively, owns a higher skill level, a better vision, much better skating and is tougher to knock off the puck when along the boards. That said, he is also 5 years older and there is much potential for Kotkaniemi to improve out there so he could realistically make up for much of the difference that exists right now.

Overall I feel Barkov currently is a better player than KK ever will be. No disrespect to Kotkaniemi but Barkov is a top 5 or top 10 centerman out there for me. But I'm of the opinion that Mint will end up the more physical of the two, meaner and harder to play against in his prime, and with Suzuki there he won't have to carry nearly as heavy a load as Barkov has had to in Florida alongside Huberdeau, which should lead to much more on-ice success.

But anyways, comparisons are meaningless. What matters is how those players behave on the ice, and Kotkaniemi has been fantastic for us since the break. If he takes the same fire with him during the season I wouldn't be surprised if he eventually becomes a 60+ point center with both stout defense and physicality, and a grade-a contributor for us long-term.

Hannibal

Fear the Weber
Feb 11, 2007
Doesn’t see any comparaison with Barkov except they both big finns.

KK seems to be developing into a more Power game than Barkov’s finess. And me likey.

I hate comparaison, but i could see KK becoming Getzlaf/Jamie Benn lite. If he keeps improving.

Please, KK, make me eat crow.

Reactions: ForeverHabs97

Frozenice

No Reverse Gear
Jan 1, 2010
Former is easy: He reminds me of Bobby Smith. Bobby was a bit smoother but KK could be as smooth in time. BS was never as rugged as KK is displaying however.
Actual is more difficult: Maybe a younger Perry/Getslaf???
The presence that Bobby Smith had is very similar to KK but the way they play is a lot different but when KK is just skating around, Bobby Smith is a good comparison.

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009
So amazing that we have him and Suzie and soon Romanov to watch grow this teams up in the standing!!!

I dont like Bergevin at all but I got to say he's able To make some solid trade sometimes....

Suzuki Danault Domi and Romanov are freaking steals!!!! Also Chiarot look like a very good 2nd pairing defenceman. Thumb up Bergie!

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
So amazing that we have him and Suzie and soon Romanov to watch grow this teams up in the standing!!!

I dont like Bergevin at all but I got to say he's able To make some solid trade sometimes....

Suzuki Danault Domi and Romanov are freaking steals!!!! Also Chiarot look like a very good 2nd pairing defenceman. Thumb up Bergie!

The thing with Bergevin that really hurt him was hiring his buddies and hanging on to them too long. Case and point is Sylvain LeFebvre who had no business being the guy primarily assigned to develop our top draft picks.
The work Bouchard did with Evans, Fleury, Primeau, Mete (short stint really helped him), Kotkaniemi (short stint but beneficial) has really helped this franchise

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
And he just turned 20....

Wait until he fully grows. I can see a solid 215 pound frame. He will become hard to handle
If he does get that big he will be one of the meanest centers in the league
I already cant believe how rough the kid plays, last two games I noticed him constantly abuse guys behind the play with crosschecks and he never turns away from mixing it up in the scrums. Ya love to see it!

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009
The thing with Bergevin that really hurt him was hiring his buddies and hanging on to them too long. Case and point is Sylvain LeFebvre who had no business being the guy primarily assigned to develop our top draft picks.
The work Bouchard did with Evans, Fleury, Primeau, Mete (short stint really helped him), Kotkaniemi (short stint but beneficial) has really helped this franchise

Good point! Holding on Lefebvre was probably his worst move along with the Drouin trade. Hiring Bouchard and Ducharme were imo 2 great move.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
On the other hand Kotkaniemi clearly benefited tremendously from his 12 games in the AHL.

That was done in the nick of time.
I don’t know that it’s all that clear that those 12 games are the reason he’s looking much better today. I think it has more to do with the prolonged rest and having a chance to recover from a nagging injury.

FLHabs

Send all your underacheiving prospects!!
Feb 18, 2017

Call me crazy, but I'm starting to believe in Bergevin second crack at the "5 year plan" lol

Reactions: Redux91 and 26Mats
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad