Jesper Fasth

Kershaw

Don't see a thread up on him, but the Rangers 6th Round Pick is amongst the leaders in SEL scoring with 4 goals, 5 assists and 9 points in 7 games as a 19 year old 2nd year player! Only small sample size so far but he sure does look like a steal at the 6th round of the draft.

It will be interesting to see how he progresses this year, hopefully some posters who watch him on a consistent basic can provide a scouting report on him. (Much Appreciated!)

Last edited by a moderator:

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005
I'd really prefer it if he stays way below the radar for the time being at least.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I'd really prefer it if he stays way below the radar for the time being at least.

No way, it's time to start calling him a blue chipper and top prospect and act like he's a top 10 first round pick. Didn't you get the memo?

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005
Not a big fan of memos.

I do believe this kid might just be legit and it would be a shame to hype this up too soon.

vippe

Mar 18, 2008
Sweden
He had a helluva game the other day. scoring 1+4 in a 7-7 game. Leading his team to catch up a 2-7 deficit with 12 minutes to go in the game in only 5 minutes :P

richardsequalscup*

I easily put him in the top 10 Rangers prospects. I started liking him more than Kreider when Kreider went back to college despite the fact Kreider has a lot more physical gifts. I think Fasth will make the Rangers next year. The reality is that the Rangers will probably lose Fedotenko, Wolski and Zuccarello next season. Wolski to UFA. Zuccarello they will probably deal. Fedotenko if he's signed will probably be dealt as well.

Those three could be replaced by Kreider, Fasth and Bourque.

iamitter

Thornton's Hen
May 19, 2011
NYC
I easily put him in the top 10 Rangers prospects. I started liking him more than Kreider when Kreider went back to college despite the fact Kreider has a lot more physical gifts. I think Fasth will make the Rangers next year. The reality is that the Rangers will probably lose Fedotenko, Wolski and Zuccarello next season. Wolski to UFA. Zuccarello they will probably deal. Fedotenko if he's signed will probably be dealt as well.

Those three could be replaced by Kreider, Fasth and Bourque.

Don't expect Fasth to come to NA for at least two more seasons.

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
He had a helluva game the other day. scoring 1+4 in a 7-7 game. Leading his team to catch up a 2-7 deficit with 12 minutes to go in the game in only 5 minutes :P

If I understand correctly he did this in front of some people from Rangers management. ;-)

Fasth is a name for the future, that's for sure, even Swedish national coach Par Marts have stated this in interviews.

cheerupmurray

May 26, 2010
Stockholm

If Fasth continues to produce near a ppg-pace he will of course come over, especially if he gets some games with the national team and does well.

Rangers seems absolutely stacked on the rightwing with stars on long contracts though, so hes not going to have a easy time getting a spot when/if he finally comes over.

richardsequalscup*

Sorry, but you are lost. He will be here next season. I'm quite sure our director of player personnel and euro scout didn't expect him to be averaging over a ppg. If they did, they wouldn't have made comments like that. Welcome to reality. When players break out, statements scouts and personnel make have a way of being tossed into the garbage.

iamitter

Thornton's Hen
May 19, 2011
NYC
Sorry, but you are lost. He will be here next season. I'm quite sure our director of player personnel and euro scout didn't expect him to be averaging over a ppg. If they did, they wouldn't have made comments like that. Welcome to reality. When players break out, statements scouts and personnel make have a way of being tossed into the garbage.

Just like Huberdeau will be playing in the NHL cause of the numbers he put up?
He's not physically ready yet.

JimmyStart*

...wow were you going for extremely condescending and overbearing? It makes sense to predict Fasth staying or coming. Your points are fair but it's also fair to expect a drop off through the year and maybe another year or two of development.

Kershaw

I think if he does continue this pace, the Rangers must sign him to a contract and possibly make room for him on the roster if he has a good pre-season and training camp. The problem is that they have 3 good RWers in Callahan, Gaborik and Zuccarello who are in Fasth's way of cracking the roster. I could see J.Fasth being signed and given a top role in Connecticut, probably 1 full season and if he does translate his game over, he'll get looks when Gaborik and Callahan are injured.

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005

LOL, easy there big boss man.

They will bring him here when they think he's ready. This ain't your grand mothers Rangers. No more rushing prospects.

Lainlight

Hands down AINEC
Jun 17, 2007
Columbus, OH
He wont continue in that pace, neither will Järnkrok. Theese guys are 2-3 years away from the NHL, maybe longer for Fasth. They are small and physically inmature, and they lack the dynamic skating of (for example) Tedenby

cheerupmurray

May 26, 2010
Stockholm
He wont continue in that pace, neither will Järnkrok. Theese guys are 2-3 years away from the NHL, maybe longer for Fasth. They are small and physically inmature, and they lack the dynamic skating of (for example) Tedenby

Fasth is a great skater, well I would say outstanding skater, he is very fast(h). Järnkrok is a decent skater. Both needs to bulk up, but neither is really undersized at 6'00''.

In Järnkroks case (especially since he is Detroit property) I would say he is a few seasons away from making NHL, in Fasth case im not so sure.

richardsequalscup*

Next 10 games should really tell the Rangers what they have. If he has 20 points in 16 games, that is pretty impressive.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Next 10 games should really tell the Rangers what they have. If he has 20 points in 16 games, that is pretty impressive.

There is no doubt really what the Rangers had, and Fasth putting up great numbers would probably paint a false picture if anything.

Jesper Fasth is a 2-way player who is very talented but also very modern in terms of being able to do basically anything on the ice.

But he is not a elite offensive player, and probably never will be unless he develops really really really well over the coming 2-3 years.

When things are said and done, I think there is a good chance that he will have had like a PJ Axelsson type of career. Normally, a player 6'0 who isn't suited for a nr 1 line role has a hard to get a crack in this league. But Fasth is so verstaile -- his strength is basically his forechecking game and his work away from the puck, from shot blocking to positioning etc -- but he can also, when put in the right situation, pull of top notch offensive plays. You can prolly put together a heck of a highlight video of this kid.

But when you watch him over 4-5 game period, its pretty obvious that he doesn't have like the hockey sense of a Zetterberg. He doesn't have that ability where he can adjust and be a constant offensive force. Someone who can take a hold of the game and dictate it offensivly. In the end he is a very good prospect for sure. Awsome pick. I would bet on him scoring around 40-50 in the NHL and being a very important player for his team.

Kershaw

14 Points in 12 games now. Really looking promising on the stat sheet. Successful 6th round pick so far.

cheerupmurray

May 26, 2010
Stockholm
Youngsters starting of really great usually cools down after a while, but if Fasth actually manage to stay aroung 1 ppg in SEL that would be crazy for a 19/20-year old. In todays very lowscoring Elitserie, theres usually only a handful players that manage to stay over 1 ppg over a full season.

Hopefully we get to see him in the national team, and see how he does on that level of play. Guys like Krüger and Silfverberg did put up loads of points in SEL but at the World Championship level they where just very good energyplayers as 20-year olds. Would be interesting to see if Fasth could produce even at that level.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad