Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
251255742_10224752900662585_1984034204420869475_n.jpg

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
Growing up having him and Orsillo calling the games was a real treat. Certainly something that has stuck with me and I’ll always remember. Rest In Peace to a legend.

“Buenos noches mis amigos”

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I have a personal Remy story that in many ways explains him.

1980 when I driving a cab I got into a minor fender bender with him where you exit Storrow Drive/Soldiers Field Road for the Pike.

upload_2021-11-1_1-55-1.png

I was in the left lane and was going straight to then make a left on Western Ave - he was in the right lane and we scraped.

One problem - Remy was in possession of a brand new white Volvo station wagon that he had just picked up at the dealer. Let's just say he was annoyed.

Fast forward 19 years to 1999 - While I saw him all the time at Fenway I never spent time in the booth but one night in Montreal I was working camera in the booth next to him and he was staring and then glaring at me the entire game. Finally, he screams you were the cab driver and I said you were in the right lane....................

3 years later in Fort Myers, he walks over and says the accident was his fault and then explained his wife had bet him $100 he couldn't get the new car home to Weston without a scratch. From that point on we would chat regularly as he wanted inside Bruins info.

Last edited:

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
The redsoxstats account said it best but what an absolute privilege it was to have him in all of our lives. Truly. I consider myself very lucky that I don’t know a time before Remy and Sox games won’t be the same without him.

Chevalier du Clavier

Écrivain de ferrage
Jul 20, 2005
Peter Gammons, The Athletic:

I admit I am not unbiased. In 1990, his name appeared on the Hall of Fame ballot, which in itself is a remarkable accomplishment, because any player who meets the requirement of lasting 10 years in the big leagues has to be an exceptional player. I voted for Jim Palmer and Joe Morgan on that ballot. They were inducted that year. I voted for Gaylord Perry, Ferguson Jenkins, Jim Bunning and Ron Santo. I did not think that at that time any of the other players on the ballot had a chance to make it.

So I voted for Jerry Remy. It was his lone vote before permanently falling off the ballot. Months after the vote went public, he figured out who did it, and said, “I can always tell my grandchildren I got a vote for the Hall of Fame.”

For 31 years, I have been conflicted about doing it, even though I did not think it denied someone else an election opportunity.

Today, October 31, 2021, I am not conflicted.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad