Player Discussion Jeremy Swayman: VII- As featured in Episode 3 of Amazon's "FACEOFF: Inside the NHL

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

How does this saga end?

• Bridge deal

Votes: 52 21.3%
  • Long term deal

Votes: 66 27.0%
  • Trade

Votes: 126 51.6%

• Total voters

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
@Gee Wally

We have numerous deletions and more in here. We know tension and emotions are high.
But you folks must simply stop taking personal shots at each. Stay to topic.

If not we will be left with no choice other than adding thread bans.

BOSTON — Boston Bruins president Cam Neely suggested Monday that the team has made an eight-year offer to unsigned restricted free agent goaltender Jeremy Swayman at $8 million annually.

“I don’t want to get into the weeds with what his ask is,” Neely said at a news conference at TD Garden. “But I know that I have 64 million reasons why I’d be playing right now.”

Neely did not disclose what Swayman’s ask has been but said he was surprised by it.

So far, Swayman is holding firm to his demand. It aligns with his personality of not backing down, especially following his uncomfortable 2023 arbitration hearing. According to Neely, Swayman wants to set a new market for goalies, specifically ones under team control.

“What his ask is and what we believe his comp group is,” Neely said, “are two different things.”

General manager Don Sweeney said he remains in contact with Lewis Gross, Swayman’s agent. The Bruins are not interested in trading Swayman.

“Ultimately, we’re a better team, as I’ve said all along, if Jeremy is part of our hockey club,” Sweeney said. “That’s my intention. That’s my wish. I’ll continue to work to do that. I think Jeremy and the team are both hurt in this regard. That’s what I’ll do. I’ll continue to work hard to find a settling point.”

With only three preseason games left, it is likely Swayman will miss regular-season time, even if an agreement is pending. Coach Jim Montgomery designated Joonas Korpisalo as his goalie for the regular-season opener against the Florida Panthers on Oct. 8, regardless of Swayman’s situation. The Bruins have two full practices remaining in camp.

“Where we are in camp right now, with how well camp has gone and how well Korpisalo has done,” Montgomery said, “right now, he’s going to be our Game 1 starter.”

How good is the offer?​

Swayman would become the fifth-highest-paid goalie in the NHL under the Bruins’ offer, behind Sergei Bobrovsky, Andrei Vasilevskiy, Connor Hellebuyck and Ilya Sorokin. Only Vasilevskiy ($9.5 million average annual value) signed his contract as a pending restricted free agent. The others were due to become unrestricted.

It is a significant payday for Swayman, considering he has never been a regular-season No. 1 goalie.

Last edited:

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022
I'd like to point out once again that Jeremy Swayman responded to an arbitration hearing that personally upset him by performing as a world-class professional. It didn't impact his play. It actually motivated him to play the best hockey of his career.

Isn't that what the best athletes always do? They use people questioning them as motivation to prove them wrong rather than wallow?

Even if someone thinks he's being a "baby" about arbitration on the ice he responded like a f***ing man.
Doesn't resonate with all these successful business owners here that love to stick it to the man.

Bodit9

Sponsor
Oct 22, 2016
Upstate NY

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site

View attachment 911968

They weren't necessarily wrong, but to be fair, it was a small sample size. To his credit, he changed the narrative the following postseason.

This will make for such a poignant scene when Disney does a movie about his life. Poor Jeremy with the criticism of him written in the mirror so he can read every day (sure maybe not exactly wahat happened but a films got to take some artistic license )

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022
"When you go into that room, you don't say a word," he said. "My arbitrator started first, said all of these great things. The arbitrator on their side ... their job is to help the management side and to rip players. Hearing that you're not worthy of what you think you're worthy of, that was hard to hear. You don't forget what was said."

The Bruins goalie said he wrote down every criticism he heard during the hearing into a checklist that he would refer to during the season.

"My biggest knock was that I wasn't trustworthy in the playoffs. Check," said Swayman, motioning a checkmark with his hand.

The goalie had a 12-6 record with a .215 goals-against average and an NHL-best .933 save percentage in the 2024 postseason. But the Bruins lost in the second round to the Panthers, the same team that eliminated them the previous postseason.

"It's disgusting to think about that I'm not going to raise a Stanley Cup over my head this year. The way I will get to do that is to turn the page and take positives and start working towards next year," Swayman said.

The whole quote and not just the click bait

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
Like I’ve pointed out plenty of times here, the cap issues come not from signing your best players to fair market deals, but from extending yourself on overpayments to bottom of the roster players. In this case, Korpisalo, Peeke, and Zadorov jump right to the top of the list.

I’m mean shit, would you rather overpay your starting goalie by a little bit or grossly overpay your bottom pairing dmen and your back up goalie? It’s foolhardy to be arguing over a small amount of money for an impact player when you’re paying your bottom pairing nearly $8 mill a year collectively.
I think Swayman at 8m is overpayment by 1.5m. But I’d go 8x8. Otherwise I completely agree here. Mike Reilly, Forbort, Korpisalo etc etc etc the bottom of Sweeney rosters always littered with 3m contracts. Some Providence call ups would be better options

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I think Swayman at 8m is overpayment by 1.5m. But I’d go 8x8. Otherwise I completely agree here. Mike Reilly, Forbort, Korpisalo etc etc etc the bottom of Sweeney rosters always littered with 3m contracts. Some Providence call ups would be better options

I agree it is an overpay for the first few years of the deal, and probably then becomes and underpay for the remainder.

Reactions: Oates2Neely

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida

View attachment 911968

They weren't necessarily wrong, but to be fair, it was a small sample size. To his credit, he changed the narrative the following postseason.
Does Umaine not offer business classes on arbitration hearings?

He cant score the goals for them...games 2-6 they scored 8 total goals. No goalie is winning a series with less than 2 gpg of support
But if you're that guy who wants top dollar shouldn't you move the needle? Spend that money on a goal scorer then

4ORRBRUIN

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2005
boston
Nobody said he was a warrior? Are you Cam Neely lying again?
Did he say check on he was not reliable in the playoffs? Insinuating that they where wrong?

This kid is a clown and should be sent packing.

Please Bruins get rid of him, this is going to be a disaster if you sign him.

Reactions: Midship

DiggityDog

2 Minutes for Ruffing
Nov 2, 2019
Nothing for nothing, but it is his agent’s job to prepare him for arbitration and how terrible it is going to be. Everyone knows it awful, everyone.

If he got offended during the process I don’t blame him. It could’ve all been avoided though if had an agent who had come to the table in good faith as opposed to trying bend everyone over a barrel.

So here we are again, same agent, same shit. The back and forth between both parties has completely derailed all the momentum they had after a really fun free agency period. Instead of being excited like I was for this season, I’m now kind of over it. Sucks

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Did he say check on he was not reliable in the playoffs? Insinuating that they where wrong?

This kid is a clown and should be sent packing.

Please Bruins get rid of him, this is going to be a disaster if you sign him.
If he falters the pressure will be exponentially worse than a small arbitration hearing. This is Boston afterall

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA

View attachment 911968

That business education certainly paid off. Driving his business with emotion rather than facts in these negotiations it would seem.

What a shame. The mistakes and miscalculation by he and the agent is really going to hurt the Bruins as they backpedal from elite goaltending to merely average goaltending while also struggling to score goals.

Reactions: Bodit9

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad