Player Discussion Jeremy Swayman: VII- Swayman's agent basically calls Cam a liar

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

How does this saga end?

• Bridge deal

Votes: 52 21.4%
  • Long term deal

Votes: 66 27.2%
  • Trade

Votes: 125 51.4%

• Total voters

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
@Gee Wally

We have numerous deletions and more in here. We know tension and emotions are high.
But you folks must simply stop taking personal shots at each. Stay to topic.

If not we will be left with no choice other than adding thread bans.

BOSTON — Boston Bruins president Cam Neely suggested Monday that the team has made an eight-year offer to unsigned restricted free agent goaltender Jeremy Swayman at $8 million annually.

“I don’t want to get into the weeds with what his ask is,” Neely said at a news conference at TD Garden. “But I know that I have 64 million reasons why I’d be playing right now.”

Neely did not disclose what Swayman’s ask has been but said he was surprised by it.

So far, Swayman is holding firm to his demand. It aligns with his personality of not backing down, especially following his uncomfortable 2023 arbitration hearing. According to Neely, Swayman wants to set a new market for goalies, specifically ones under team control.

“What his ask is and what we believe his comp group is,” Neely said, “are two different things.”

General manager Don Sweeney said he remains in contact with Lewis Gross, Swayman’s agent. The Bruins are not interested in trading Swayman.

“Ultimately, we’re a better team, as I’ve said all along, if Jeremy is part of our hockey club,” Sweeney said. “That’s my intention. That’s my wish. I’ll continue to work to do that. I think Jeremy and the team are both hurt in this regard. That’s what I’ll do. I’ll continue to work hard to find a settling point.”

With only three preseason games left, it is likely Swayman will miss regular-season time, even if an agreement is pending. Coach Jim Montgomery designated Joonas Korpisalo as his goalie for the regular-season opener against the Florida Panthers on Oct. 8, regardless of Swayman’s situation. The Bruins have two full practices remaining in camp.

“Where we are in camp right now, with how well camp has gone and how well Korpisalo has done,” Montgomery said, “right now, he’s going to be our Game 1 starter.”

How good is the offer?​

Swayman would become the fifth-highest-paid goalie in the NHL under the Bruins’ offer, behind Sergei Bobrovsky, Andrei Vasilevskiy, Connor Hellebuyck and Ilya Sorokin. Only Vasilevskiy ($9.5 million average annual value) signed his contract as a pending restricted free agent. The others were due to become unrestricted.

It is a significant payday for Swayman, considering he has never been a regular-season No. 1 goalie.

Last edited:

goldenblack

Apr 15, 2024
Swayman could end this all today. Take the deal and say he's ready to play. Not sure what he's even trying at this point. Bruins should deal otherwise bc he's being a detriment to the organization

There's a thing with emotional alphas that is hard to explain if you've never had one in your life. I've seen guys willing to burn it ALL down to somehow not look weak. Its definitely something to behold.

That theory you were all agreeing with this last page, that's been basically my theory the whole time. Gross is a snake, Sway has gotten very bad advice, and that side has totally misunderstood their leverage basically the whole time.

So let's see. Let's see.

Last edited:

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
I didn't say it defined their culture.

The point is that they didn't "stick to Bruins culture". And to say that Swayman doesn't fit but these guys did is insulting. Have issue with the guy who said that.

But in fairness to the thread if anyone wants to discuss this more, we can do it in private or another thread.

goldenblack

Apr 15, 2024
I didn't say it defined their culture.

The point is that they didn't "stick to Bruins culture". And to say that Swayman doesn't fit but these guys did is insulting. Have issue with the guy who said that.

But in fairness to the thread if anyone wants to discuss this more, we can do it in private or another thread.

At the end of the day, you play to win the game.

If Sway's agent got an 8x8 and tells his client to hold out, and you are at your max, it's time to take the agent out at the knees. They JUST did.

If we get a deal here, the gamble was worth it. And if they don't? They weren't gong to anyway. We had reached this point, specially with Sway's side clearly leaking.

Bodit9

Sponsor
Oct 22, 2016
Upstate NY
At the end of the day, you play to win the game.

If Sway's agent got an 8x8 and tells his client to hold out, and you are at your max, it's time to take the agent out at the knees. They JUST did.

If we get a deal here, the gamble was worth it. And if they don't? They weren't gong to anyway. We had reached this point, specially with Sway's side clearly leaking.
Swayman/Gross have been slinging mud at management in the media for months and are surprised they are now defending themselves and throwing a little back at them? Ridiculous. Complaining about the arbitration process, wanting to reset the market, bragging about taking business classes, leaking to Chiclets about being cheap and not returning phone calls. Gross Swayman have TOTALLY mismanged this whole situation.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Too late for that now. Not an option.

Is signing racist bullies and spousal abusers sticking to the bruin culture?
Lol

I’m off to do errands - I’ll look for you at Modern Butcher around 11.

I could be “butthurt”. Or I could simply see how inept and woefully bad at their jobs Sweeney and Neely are, and realize that those two clowns are what’s holding the team back from being a true contender.

But yeah, it could be butthurt.
I’m 80/20 serious here

You need a few posts to get to 20/80 or the DKH version of the Duncan Principle is ruined

• Haha
Reactions: Bodit9 and LSCII

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
I've researched this carefully and here is the legit timeline. And a look into the future.......

July 2024: Number8 has been brutal on Sweeney. Thinks Ullmark/Korpisalo trade is shit and unwise to give away leverage on Swayman deal.

August 2024: Number8 has cooled somewhat and now condescendingly tells other posters "don't get nutty.... Swayman will sign and soon." Number8 is very wrong.

October 2024: Korpisalo turns out to be Martin Brodeur part two. He goes on a goaltending streak that has never been seen before. Number8 starts looking for sources of crow suitable to eat.

November 2024: Korpisalo just gets better. Literal brick wall. Number 8 sends an apology letter to Don Sweeney and starts a daily diet of crow parmesan, crow flambe, and crow yoghurt (not very common but oh so delicious if you get rid of those long boney things that are in the feathers). Bruins hit Thanksgiving in first place overall by a wide margin.

November 28, 2024: Bruins tell Swayman that the business professor at U Maine has consulted on the contract and thinks Swayman is now comped at $1.24M x 8.

November 30, 2024 7:00PM: Jeremy is found in the rafters of TD North with his bear hunting gun while Todd Angelie sings the anthem. Korpisalo is, oddly, skating around the ice like a madman literally as fast as he can. Fans are confused until they realize that he is trying to avoid what appears to be random gunfire. Actually Swayman is a very good shot, but Korpisalo is extremely quick and agile. Surprisingly so -- but then again he's extremely motivated. Shotgun pellets embed in the ice surface and Jeremy Jacobs screams "hey, what the f*** are you doing to my ice? I paid good money for that second hand ice factory you f***ers".

Things go south from there...........

goldenblack

Apr 15, 2024
Swayman/Gross have been slinging mud at management in the media for months and are surprised they are now defending themselves and throwing a little back at them? Ridiculous. Complaining about the arbitration process, wanting to reset the market, bragging about taking business classes, leaking to Chiclets about being cheap and not returning phone calls. Gross Swayman have TOTALLY mismanged this whole situation.

Yeah it's definitely been a little bit of NBA energy I find. And for a kid who has had 2 good series and basically nothing else of true consequence to reset a market. There's a reason we were unsure for years which of the two goalies to start night to night. They were that close, even if people want to rewrite history there. If Hampus doesn't score that late goal to tie it and we don't beat Toronto, what is he worth, 6M?

When you look at Linus and Sway and compare their character, there is a gap that comes with their age difference and maturity. It's a shame Linus was the older goalie, physically speaking.

Now that said, I believe Sway is the more fierce competitor, I do. Which maybe makes him the guy more likely to take you to the finish and bring the cup home. But he has to mature fast here. A truly great man also knows when humility is necessary. When you put your hand out and shake Neely's and say "ok, let's ride".

Your move, kid, Name maybe in the rafters of an original 6, as a god? Or you want to maybe be the next Laine?

Reactions: BMC and Bodit9

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
I don’t feel Swayman is worth anything more than 8m per. That’s the top end of what I would be willing to pay him. Very good goalie but I wouldn’t pay that to a in-his-prime Carey Price. Nothing personal against Swayman. If he feels he deserves 9.5 to 10m, it’s his right to chase it. It’s on the front office to get something done soon so the distraction is gone.

•Resign him

•Announce that the 64m is the final offer and Swayman has until December to sign it.

•Trade him

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
@lopey I didn't add any commentary one way or the other. You asked who Doc was talking about and I simply said the player's names he was alluding to.

At the end of the day, this comes down to whether this team is better with Swayman starting and Korpi backing up, or with Korpi starting and Bussi backing up.

Reactions: KillerMillerTime

lopey

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2009
Frozen Tundra Northern Ontario
@lopey I didn't add any commentary one way or the other. You asked who Doc was talking about and I simply said the player's names he was alluding to.

At the end of the day, this comes down to whether this team is better with Swayman starting and Korpi backing up, or with Korpi starting and Bussi backing up.
I agree team is better with Sway no doubt. But it has to be at the right price I dont want to be the leafs and overpay and get cap crunched.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
It’s always a wicked smart idea to slander your current boss.

This is a very simplistic way of looking at it.

In the end the Bruins have a business to run and they value players a certain way. Over-value a guy and overpay 2, 3, 4m here or there and you start not being able to fill important positions. Pay Swayman 9m+ now and you need to dump salary this year. It’s not as simple as “oh just pay him what he wants and we’ll figure that out later.” This isn’t the NFL, the cap is a hard cap and money is finite. What you pay one of your player impacts everything from the money available this year, in the future, and how people approach your organization in negotiations moving forward.

In a vacuum, it’s very easy to say pay that man what he wants with other people’s money.

I’m all for guys going for what they think they’re worth. But I’m not a fan of the way this whole thing has gone down. I also think the Bruins did some things in good faith to show Swayman he’s their guy and I think Swayman’s team took those concessions and tried to leverage them for more money. Once the first leaks started going public, this thing was always going to turn into two boxers going to their respective corners.

Now I’m not sure this can be mended. I also think Gross overplayed his hand as now Swayman is running out of good options.
Going from Ullmark \Swayman to Korpisalo\Patera\Bussi in one off season can't happen or heads should roll.

Last edited:
Reactions: LSCII

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
So Sweeney probably going to cave and give him 8.25 M ~ 66 M

I’m ok with this but Swayman needs to be happy and want to be here. I’m curious what he weighs in at.

He pulls something early on could be a nightmare

Anyways 46 hours since Cam sent out the signal 64 M is on the table

Donny just to nice let’s Sway/Gross get the W with 66 M

I’m hoping we get the Monty hates kids thread up by the weekend

Get it done guys

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida

Paraphrasing what I just read in a Bruins season preview article on the Athletic: the Bruins had an elite goalie start 82 games last regular season. If they don’t sign Swayman, they will have an elite goalie start 0 games this season. Torpedoes their chances at making the playoffs.

The luxury of having 2 elite starters covered a lot of warts in this lineup.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Paraphrasing what I just read in a Bruins season preview article on the Athletic: the Bruins had an elite goalie start 82 games last regular season. If they don’t sign Swayman, they will have an elite goalie start 0 games this season. Torpedoes their chances at making the playoffs.

The luxury of having 2 elite starters covered a lot of warts in this lineup.
The new lineup has a bunch less warts- they're a playoff team with or without swayman.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I agree team is better with Sway no doubt. But it has to be at the right price I dont want to be the leafs and overpay and get cap crunched.
Like I’ve pointed out plenty of times here, the cap issues come not from signing your best players to fair market deals, but from extending yourself on overpayments to bottom of the roster players. In this case, Korpisalo, Peeke, and Zadorov jump right to the top of the list.

I’m mean shit, would you rather overpay your starting goalie by a little bit or grossly overpay your bottom pairing dmen and your back up goalie? It’s foolhardy to be arguing over a small amount of money for an impact player when you’re paying your bottom pairing nearly $8 mill a year collectively.

Reactions: Smitty93

goldenblack

Apr 15, 2024
Like I’ve pointed out plenty of times here, the cap issues come not from signing your best players to fair market deals, but from extending yourself on overpayments to bottom of the roster players. In this case, Korpisalo, Peeke, and Zadorov jump right to the top of the list.

I’m mean shit, would you rather overpay your starting goalie by a little bit or grossly overpay your bottom pairing dmen and your back up goalie? It’s foolhardy to be arguing over a small amount of money for an impact player when you’re paying your bottom pairing nearly $8 mill a year collectively.

You missed on so many guys here last year when it came to their money vs contribution, that I'm going to reserve the right to see all 3 of these guys play now before declaring those contracts bad.

Reactions: Bodit9

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Oooh! He finished 5th and 7th? Well shit. That changes everything!!! How about him never winning a playoff series? Does that matter to you? Because it does to me. I couldn’t give a flying f*** about individual awards if you can’t win in the post season.

Nice goal post rocket boosters.

Swayman hasn't really won anything of note in the postseason either.

Saros has placed significantly higher in Vezina votes than Swayman and has a longer track record of being a number 1. Yes, that's a better resume.

badbrewin

Sponsor
Jan 13, 2007
Montreal
Swayman could end this all today. Take the deal and say he's ready to play. Not sure what he's even trying at this point. Bruins should deal otherwise bc he's being a detriment to the organization
Agreed 100%. I know the number was $7.8M AAV and I'm sure the B's would round that out to $8M, so a helluva payday for a guy who hasn't even been an official #1.

And it's not like he will be done earning at the end of the deal....he will still only be 33, so if he takes care of himself, could have a few more years thereafter.

Reactions: Bodit9

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad