Player Discussion Jeremy Swayman: VII- Swayman's agent basically calls Cam a liar

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

How does this saga end?

• Bridge deal

Votes: 51 21.7%
  • Long term deal

Votes: 64 27.2%
  • Trade

Votes: 120 51.1%

• Total voters

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
@Gee Wally

We have numerous deletions and more in here. We know tension and emotions are high.
But you folks must simply stop taking personal shots at each. Stay to topic.

If not we will be left with no choice other than adding thread bans.

BOSTON — Boston Bruins president Cam Neely suggested Monday that the team has made an eight-year offer to unsigned restricted free agent goaltender Jeremy Swayman at $8 million annually.

“I don’t want to get into the weeds with what his ask is,” Neely said at a news conference at TD Garden. “But I know that I have 64 million reasons why I’d be playing right now.”

Neely did not disclose what Swayman’s ask has been but said he was surprised by it.

So far, Swayman is holding firm to his demand. It aligns with his personality of not backing down, especially following his uncomfortable 2023 arbitration hearing. According to Neely, Swayman wants to set a new market for goalies, specifically ones under team control.

“What his ask is and what we believe his comp group is,” Neely said, “are two different things.”

General manager Don Sweeney said he remains in contact with Lewis Gross, Swayman’s agent. The Bruins are not interested in trading Swayman.

“Ultimately, we’re a better team, as I’ve said all along, if Jeremy is part of our hockey club,” Sweeney said. “That’s my intention. That’s my wish. I’ll continue to work to do that. I think Jeremy and the team are both hurt in this regard. That’s what I’ll do. I’ll continue to work hard to find a settling point.”

With only three preseason games left, it is likely Swayman will miss regular-season time, even if an agreement is pending. Coach Jim Montgomery designated Joonas Korpisalo as his goalie for the regular-season opener against the Florida Panthers on Oct. 8, regardless of Swayman’s situation. The Bruins have two full practices remaining in camp.

“Where we are in camp right now, with how well camp has gone and how well Korpisalo has done,” Montgomery said, “right now, he’s going to be our Game 1 starter.”

How good is the offer?​

Swayman would become the fifth-highest-paid goalie in the NHL under the Bruins’ offer, behind Sergei Bobrovsky, Andrei Vasilevskiy, Connor Hellebuyck and Ilya Sorokin. Only Vasilevskiy ($9.5 million average annual value) signed his contract as a pending restricted free agent. The others were due to become unrestricted.

It is a significant payday for Swayman, considering he has never been a regular-season No. 1 goalie.

Last edited:

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Oh no I should have clarified.

I don’t know what to believe for dollar figures on the table.

I fully believe the multiple reports that $64 million wasn’t on the table and that Neely lied.

But it is on the table. You're assuming ( as most people are ) that what was always on the table. Neely never said that. Whether they bumped up their offer from 7.8 or that's what it's been all along, there's a 64 million dollar offer on the table that they're currently not signing. That's what should be focused on, not these weird gotcha games over fan opinions you like to mire yourself in. Gross and Swayman have been negotiating in the media this entire time - it's only fitting they received their latest contract offer in the media.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
But it is on the table. You're assuming ( as most people are ) that what was always on the table. Neely never said that. Whether they bumped up their offer from 7.8 or that's what it's been all along, there's a 64 million dollar offer on the table that they're currently not signing. That's what should be focused on, not these weird gotcha games over fan opinions you like to mire yourself in. Gross and Swayman have been negotiating in the media this entire time - it's only fitting they received their latest contract offer in the media.

When Neely said there were $64 million reasons for swayman to be playing right now. He lied. There was not a $64 million offer on the table.

There may be now but at the time there wasn’t.

So when Gross said they have not been presented with such an offer he was telling the truth and people were calling him a liar.

It doesn’t matter what is on the table now. We are talking about what was on the table at the time that resulted in people calling Gross a liar.

DaBroons

Aug 2, 2005
Because the cap goes up making today's high dollar deals less as time goes by? That's the reason you want to lock the player into long term contracts. You pay more initially, but by the end, you're making out because its far less than market value?
OK, let's pay Swayman $9.5. That means a 21-player roster to get under the cap.

Are you good with that?

What if someone gets hurt? If two guys get hurt, then they play with 19 players.

Are you good with that?

Greek_physique

Caron - Legit SNIPER
Jul 9, 2004
Toronto, Ont
OK, let's pay Swayman $9.5. That means a 21-player roster to get under the cap.

Are you good with that?

What if someone gets hurt? If two guys get hurt, then they play with 19 players.

Are you good with that?

I mean, Monty some nights doesn't play our 4th line....can't be that different haha

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
If he doesn’t sign by next Tuesday and 64 M on the table I let him sit out the season & deal him next offseason

He wants 9 M plus I’m sure relocating costs of say another 500 K

Not sure who can afford him and give back anything valuable

I’d rather keep his rights and let him play in KHL

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
If he doesn’t sign by next Tuesday and 64 M on the table I let him sit out the season & deal him next offseason

He wants 9 M plus I’m sure relocating costs of say another 500 K

Not sure who can afford him and give back anything valuable

I’d rather keep his rights and let him play in KHL

Rights to Carter Hart 1:1

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017
If Swayman is still shaken up from his arbitration case, there is no chance he has the mental fortitude to recover from these contentious negotiations. Best to let him try and find a trade partner and move him on. We have money to make some in-season moves now.

• Haha
Reactions: Bodit9 and Pia8988

NeelyDan

Spot-Picker
Sponsor
Jun 28, 2010
Dundas, Ontario
Myself and @NeelyDan will kidnap Swayman and get him crippled drunk enough to sign a 7 year $7M contract on our way to pick up the @The don godfather as we venture our way across North America looking for ladies of the evening.

We will find Jeff Carter for The Don Godfather as well.
@The don godfather will have two things the size of small citrus fruit - a wad of chew and hemorrhoids - and a couture perched on his shoulder

@Sheppy will be sporting a Hawaiian buttondown and aviators, looking very much hangover Bradley Cooper

@NeelyDan will sport a boiler rivalling Randy from the Trailer Park Boys, a fairly unkempt beard and the visible stress of being a 48 year old dad tripping absolute balls on too many gummies

Together, the three of us will bring the city of Boston together in the new major motion picture “The Swayman Salvation”

dangermike

Jan 24, 2022
When Neely said there were $64 million reasons for swayman to be playing right now. He lied. There was not a $64 million offer on the table.

So when Gross said they have not been presented with such an offer he was telling the truth and people were calling him a liar.

It doesn’t matter what is on the table now. We are talking about what was on the table at the time that resulted in people calling Gross a liar.
i think saying it doesnt matter is silly - he said she said has been going on for months at this point - whatever.

we all know its 8x8 - what now?

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
i think saying it doesnt matter is silly - he said she said has been going on for months at this point - whatever.

we all know its 8x8 - what now?

Funny how it mattered when Gross was being pinned as the liar, but now that it’s Neely it’s a full pivot to “oh well now whoever lied doesn’t matter silly because it’s the offer now!”

Simply pointing out the hypocrisy

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine

Again, how did he lie? You're making assumptions that

1. The reports that the offer before the conference was 7.8 and not 8 were true

2. Neely was speaking in past tense and not current

Of course it matters what the current offer is, are you kidding me? That's what they're looking at and currently refusing. If you're so butt-hurt over people calling Gross a liar because that's what your real focus is, that's on you - maybe you can start a legal defense fund for Gross and go after some people for emotionally giving their opinions.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Again, how did he lie? You're making assumptions that

1. The reports that the offer before the conference was 7.8 and not 8 were true

2. Neely was speaking in past tense and not current

Of course it matters what the current offer is, are you kidding me? That's what they're looking at and currently refusing. If you're so butt-hurt over people calling Gross a liar because that's what your real focus is, that's on you - maybe you can start a legal defense fund for Gross and go after some people for emotionally giving their opinions.

And your going under the assumption that $64 million was on the table before the press conference which was been refuted by multiple reports.

Again just pointing out the overwhelming hypocrisy

Bodit9

Sponsor
Oct 22, 2016
Upstate NY
Swayman after arbitration

1000011337.jpg

Sevendust

Jan 11, 2010
Munich, Germany
Incredible how people want to convince himself and others that Swayman is an egomanic, average goalie that has to be traded. About the guy who was included in NHL top player lists this offseason ... Come on guys, I get it. His agent is a dickhead and his negotiation style is stupid but Sway is still one of the best goalies in the league.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
How many reports have come out this summer in regards to this dispute that have been half truths, false, or simply misreported, all from third party talking heads? 64 mill is straight from the horses mouth. I'm not ignorant to the potential of Neely lying or stretching the truth but I'm less likely to believe that's the case because of the ramifications and more likely NOT to believe outside reports thinking they know what's going on behind the curtain.

Interesting that the “I’m not ignorant to the possibility of Neely lying” crowd

Are the same people who are being ignorant to Neely lying and want to pivot to “well it’s the current offer now” so what was said before doesn’t matter!

Again blatant hypocrisy

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
He was also an anchor for them in many seasons.
Took them to two SCF in a row with a Championship. Three years ago was #1 goalie when the won PC so I think majority of Panther fans are ok about it.
Be one of the absolute best at what you do, in a field that generates a crap ton of income and with an agreement about how much revenue goes to the workers and you can.
How important was Swayman? He was primarily responsible for providing more money for a couple of weeks for bartenders, waiters and waitresses.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad