Player Discussion Jeremy Swayman: VII- Swayman's agent basically calls Cam a liar

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

How does this saga end?

• Bridge deal

Votes: 51 21.7%
  • Long term deal

Votes: 64 27.2%
  • Trade

Votes: 120 51.1%

• Total voters

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
@Gee Wally

We have numerous deletions and more in here. We know tension and emotions are high.
But you folks must simply stop taking personal shots at each. Stay to topic.

If not we will be left with no choice other than adding thread bans.

BOSTON — Boston Bruins president Cam Neely suggested Monday that the team has made an eight-year offer to unsigned restricted free agent goaltender Jeremy Swayman at $8 million annually.

“I don’t want to get into the weeds with what his ask is,” Neely said at a news conference at TD Garden. “But I know that I have 64 million reasons why I’d be playing right now.”

Neely did not disclose what Swayman’s ask has been but said he was surprised by it.

So far, Swayman is holding firm to his demand. It aligns with his personality of not backing down, especially following his uncomfortable 2023 arbitration hearing. According to Neely, Swayman wants to set a new market for goalies, specifically ones under team control.

“What his ask is and what we believe his comp group is,” Neely said, “are two different things.”

General manager Don Sweeney said he remains in contact with Lewis Gross, Swayman’s agent. The Bruins are not interested in trading Swayman.

“Ultimately, we’re a better team, as I’ve said all along, if Jeremy is part of our hockey club,” Sweeney said. “That’s my intention. That’s my wish. I’ll continue to work to do that. I think Jeremy and the team are both hurt in this regard. That’s what I’ll do. I’ll continue to work hard to find a settling point.”

With only three preseason games left, it is likely Swayman will miss regular-season time, even if an agreement is pending. Coach Jim Montgomery designated Joonas Korpisalo as his goalie for the regular-season opener against the Florida Panthers on Oct. 8, regardless of Swayman’s situation. The Bruins have two full practices remaining in camp.

“Where we are in camp right now, with how well camp has gone and how well Korpisalo has done,” Montgomery said, “right now, he’s going to be our Game 1 starter.”

How good is the offer?​

Swayman would become the fifth-highest-paid goalie in the NHL under the Bruins’ offer, behind Sergei Bobrovsky, Andrei Vasilevskiy, Connor Hellebuyck and Ilya Sorokin. Only Vasilevskiy ($9.5 million average annual value) signed his contract as a pending restricted free agent. The others were due to become unrestricted.

It is a significant payday for Swayman, considering he has never been a regular-season No. 1 goalie.

Last edited:

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
So I guess the solution is hell with the Cap pay the guys ransom and hope he doesn't blow moving forward in the number one roll.

Bruin have one if not the best group of D man, they can make a trashcan look good.
You could probably cherry pick the playoff stats of the two guys so that they'd seem like equals.

They are not equals IMO, but the playoff numbers aren't all that different
Their playoff#s are
Friedman confirmed it as so this morning. The Bruins felt like the negotiations went public. It's not that it was only numbers leaking, it was said that the Bruins "lowballed" Swayman and haven't returned Gross' calls for three weeks. It was a public shot at the Bruins' credibility and reputation while negotiations were taking place.
I do appreciate Sweeney and Cam being upfront and talking publicly about it rather than leaking and hiding behind media personalities.

Reactions: lopey

Hazelwig

Feb 24, 2023
I think we should probably shift the conversation to what his trade value/return could be. As Ramsey said: "If you think this has a happy ending you haven't been paying attention."
I don't know how this makes sense for him to play for Neely after that public call out.

Bodit9

Sponsor
Oct 22, 2016
Upstate NY
No, I used the market. You can split hairs if you want, but I did not use any goalie to reach the numbers. I could also have just as easily pulled the numbers out of thin air because what a goalie signed for 4 years ago is irrelevant to what a guy signs for today. The money is different because the market is different, player comps aside.
Do you know how arbitration works?

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
I think we should probably shift the conversation to what his trade value/return could be. As Ramsey said: "If you think this has a happy ending you haven't been paying attention."
I don't know how this makes sense for him to play for Neely after that public call out.
Rather make him sit entire season then trade him for some avg return.That would sting the greedy little ####

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022
Their playoff#s are

I do appreciate Sweeney and Cam being upfront and talking publicly about it rather than leaking and hiding behind media personalities.
I mean they were doing that with Keefe but let’s not remember the 10mil nonsense

You would like your employer doing that to you or it’s just ok because your favorite team does it

Reactions: KillerMillerTime

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022
I’m sure all the people calling Gross a liar and for him to be fired for “lying that a $64 million contract wasn’t offered” are now going to keep that same energy for Neely lying about the offer… right?
cheers are louder for Neely and Sweeney on the Jumbotron than the players on the ice

Rather make him sit entire season then trade him for some avg return.That would sting the greedy little ####
Being a 7 seed and out in 5 will show him!

PaulD

Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
I doubt the Bruins were at 8x8 on day 1. Friedman put out they were "in the sixes" on an 8 year deal, but it sounded like it was very early and where they started at. 8x8 could have been on the table for a few weeks now or since the start of camp.

Sounds a lot more like Swayman is still sticking at 9.5x8 to me. I'd think if Swayman had budged some and they were close (under 1M apart) to a deal that Neely holds back on his comment today.
9.5 x 8 ... is that's so Swayman is dreaming.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
I wonder how much of Swaymans stance is dictated/directed by the union. I mean, Oettinger is due up next year. I'm sure his agent and the union are watching these negotiations.
The Union represents other positional players, does that mean they pay less union dues because the union is more concerned about setting the market goaltenders.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
How so? The past three years he has won the Presidents Trophy (around here that means a heck of alot), goaltended his team to a finals and did it again but won this time.
Panthers have achieve far more w/ Bob at 10M than the B's have with Pasta or McAvoy making their current contracts.

He is a hell of a one man team.
Nope. he has a great team around him.... which proves that spending 10M on a goalie doesn't stop you from winning. Nevermind only making 8.5 or 9.

Great point.

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
As much as I love Swayman, his high danger save % stinks and I'm not a fan of having an inflated EGO in the locker-room. I honestly didn't expect him to hold out this much but I shouldn't be surprised with an agent like Gross.

Over the past 2 years, among the 32 goalies with the most TOI (basically a list of assumed starters), he's 4th in 5-on-5 HDSV%. Looking at just last year (same 32 goalie filter), he was 11th. I'm not sure how either of those suggests his HDSV% stinks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad