Player Discussion Jeremy Swayman: VII- Swayman's agent basically calls Cam a liar

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

How does this saga end?

• Bridge deal

Votes: 51 21.7%
  • Long term deal

Votes: 64 27.2%
  • Trade

Votes: 120 51.1%

• Total voters

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
@Gee Wally

We have numerous deletions and more in here. We know tension and emotions are high.
But you folks must simply stop taking personal shots at each. Stay to topic.

If not we will be left with no choice other than adding thread bans.

BOSTON — Boston Bruins president Cam Neely suggested Monday that the team has made an eight-year offer to unsigned restricted free agent goaltender Jeremy Swayman at $8 million annually.

“I don’t want to get into the weeds with what his ask is,” Neely said at a news conference at TD Garden. “But I know that I have 64 million reasons why I’d be playing right now.”

Neely did not disclose what Swayman’s ask has been but said he was surprised by it.

So far, Swayman is holding firm to his demand. It aligns with his personality of not backing down, especially following his uncomfortable 2023 arbitration hearing. According to Neely, Swayman wants to set a new market for goalies, specifically ones under team control.

“What his ask is and what we believe his comp group is,” Neely said, “are two different things.”

General manager Don Sweeney said he remains in contact with Lewis Gross, Swayman’s agent. The Bruins are not interested in trading Swayman.

“Ultimately, we’re a better team, as I’ve said all along, if Jeremy is part of our hockey club,” Sweeney said. “That’s my intention. That’s my wish. I’ll continue to work to do that. I think Jeremy and the team are both hurt in this regard. That’s what I’ll do. I’ll continue to work hard to find a settling point.”

With only three preseason games left, it is likely Swayman will miss regular-season time, even if an agreement is pending. Coach Jim Montgomery designated Joonas Korpisalo as his goalie for the regular-season opener against the Florida Panthers on Oct. 8, regardless of Swayman’s situation. The Bruins have two full practices remaining in camp.

“Where we are in camp right now, with how well camp has gone and how well Korpisalo has done,” Montgomery said, “right now, he’s going to be our Game 1 starter.”

How good is the offer?​

Swayman would become the fifth-highest-paid goalie in the NHL under the Bruins’ offer, behind Sergei Bobrovsky, Andrei Vasilevskiy, Connor Hellebuyck and Ilya Sorokin. Only Vasilevskiy ($9.5 million average annual value) signed his contract as a pending restricted free agent. The others were due to become unrestricted.

It is a significant payday for Swayman, considering he has never been a regular-season No. 1 goalie.

Last edited:

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
Because the cap goes up making today's high dollar deals less as time goes by? That's the reason you want to lock the player into long term contracts. You pay more initially, but by the end, you're making out because its far less than market value?

Hey, hey, hey, this is a violation of your contract with the site. You're not allowed to make logical, serious posts

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
I never called anyone anything. You claiming that is on you. :biglaugh:

And again, you can continue to avoid answering the question all you want, I know exactly why. The truth is what I said and it's obvious to anyone being remotely objective. And I mean that for both sides of the comps. They are worthless.
Why is everyone saying this contract is so important for Oettinger and Demko? Why did Swayman himself say he didn’t want to ruin the market for goalies if comps don’t matter?

(Laughing emoji)

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
I never called anyone anything. You claiming that is on you. :biglaugh:

And again, you can continue to avoid answering the question. The truth is what I said and it's obvious to anyone being remotely objective. And I mean that for both sides of the comps. They are worthless.
Let's say you're Sways agent right now. Come up with a starting number for our negotiations, don't care what number you decide on.

Now explain to me how you came to that number and why he is worth that without the use of any comps

Reactions: Bodit9

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
they came in at 2mil to purposely lower the number he would get. Lower than Daniel Vladar lol.

But go ahead and say it's business.....sure is...just like Swayman is doing now.

and he came in at almost 5 million to purposely inflate the number he would get. That is the nature of arbitration. Sway's number was 2ook below Ulmark's Vezina winning salary.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
I really wish Gross simply hadn't leaked the offer from the Bruins to Spittin'. This is where everything went sour. Up until that point, it was a closed door negotiation. Now everyone is in the mud slinging it around. Can we all agree that it started there?

To be clear, I'm not certain on the money he deserves or should get but rather angry that the whole situation took a curve in the wrong direction and I think the entire fanbase could agree it started right there.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
So you're saying comps matter?

Then you agree that Swayman should be paid $10 mill per?
I’m saying comps matter of course they do only someone divorced from reality would possibly say they don’t.

I don’t agree he should be paid $10M.

(Laughing emoji)

You could probably cherry pick the playoff stats of the two guys so that they'd seem like equals.

They are not equals IMO, but the playoff numbers aren't all that different
He said that Korpisalo played in round 1 and now he’s here. That didn’t happen.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
I really wish Gross simply hadn't leaked the offer from the Bruins to Spittin'. This is where everything went sour. Up until that point, it was a closed door negotiation. Now everyone is in the mud slinging it around. Can we all agree that it started there?

To be clear, I'm not certain on the money he deserves or should get but rather angry that the whole situation took a curve in the wrong direction and I think the entire fanbase could agree it started right there.
It definitely started there, although I haven't seen any confirmation of the source. Some logic applied and we can guess that it was Gross, just no confirmation on it

I’m saying comps matter of course they do only someone divorced from reality would possibly say they don’t.

(Laughing emoji)

He said that Korpisalo played in round 1 and now he’s here. That didn’t happen.
Fair deal man. That's what I get for continuously interjecting on debates half way through.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Let's say you're Sways agent right now. Come up with a starting number for our negotiations, don't care what number you decide on.

Now explain to me how you came to that number and why he is worth that without the use of any comps
Easy. The highest paid players are now making 12-13 mill per year and it's only going up. Swayman isn't in that tier yet, so if I'm his agent, I look for $9.5-10 Mill per as my starting point. I'd then negotiate down to $8,5 on a long term 8 year deal. If they want to hedge their bets and go 4 years, I'd go as low as $7.5 because he'll easily make that up next contract. If they wanted to do a 2 year bridge deal, I'd want $9 mill per.

No comps at his position needed. Just comps for the league market overall because he's been a top 5 player at his position based on his save percentage over the last 3-4 years already.

(Laughing emoji)
Irony is lost on you man. What you're saying is that HIS comps don't matter because you like YOUR comps. Which is why the comps are literally meaningless. Derp.

BIG f***ING LAUGH EMOJI

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Easy. The highest paid players are now making 12-13 mill per year and it's only going up. Swayman isn't in that tier yet, so if I'm his agent, I look for $9.5-10 Mill per as my starting point. I'd then negotiate down to $8,5 on a long term 8 year deal. If they want to hedge their bets and go 4 years, I'd go as low as $7.5 because he'll easily make that up next contract. If they wanted to do a 2 year bridge deal, I'd want $9 mill per.

No comps at his position needed. Just comps for the league market overall because he's been a top 5 player at his position based on his save percentage over the last 3-4 years already.
You literally used a comparison to the top earners in the league in the first line to come to that number, because you can't come to a starting point without some sort of market to compare to

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
Because the cap goes up making today's high dollar deals less as time goes by? That's the reason you want to lock the player into long term contracts. You pay more initially, but by the end, you're making out because its far less than market value?
It's the same for every player , Swayman is not special. Those things are already factored in.

Reactions: Bodit9

jpnam68

Oct 2, 2024
I have a question in hopes that someone with real knowledge can answer. If Swayman did not agree, no signed contract on December 1, 2024, could he go over seas, some other league to play? I realize he can not play in the NHL but what about elsewhere? Thanks.

bruins cup

Jun 29, 2024
I have a question in hopes that someone with real knowledge can answer. If Swayman did not agree, no signed contract on December 1, 2024, could he go over seas, some other league to play? I realize he can not play in the NHL but what about elsewhere? Thanks.
Yes he can just not ahl or nhl

Reactions: jpnam68

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012

Friedman confirmed it as so this morning. The Bruins felt like the negotiations went public. It's not that it was only numbers leaking, it was said that the Bruins "lowballed" Swayman and haven't returned Gross' calls for three weeks. It was a public shot at the Bruins' credibility and reputation while negotiations were taking place.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018

Irony is lost on you man. What you're saying is that HIS comps don't matter because you like YOUR comps. Which is why the comps are literally meaningless. Derp.

BIG f***ING LAUGH EMOJI
No you’re really not seeing the irony. You just used a comp to gauge his value.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad