Player Discussion Jeremy Swayman: VII- Swayman's agent basically calls Cam a liar

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

How does this saga end?

• Bridge deal

Votes: 51 22.0%
  • Long term deal

Votes: 64 27.6%
  • Trade

Votes: 117 50.4%

• Total voters

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
@Gee Wally

We have numerous deletions and more in here. We know tension and emotions are high.
But you folks must simply stop taking personal shots at each. Stay to topic.

If not we will be left with no choice other than adding thread bans.

BOSTON — Boston Bruins president Cam Neely suggested Monday that the team has made an eight-year offer to unsigned restricted free agent goaltender Jeremy Swayman at $8 million annually.

“I don’t want to get into the weeds with what his ask is,” Neely said at a news conference at TD Garden. “But I know that I have 64 million reasons why I’d be playing right now.”

Neely did not disclose what Swayman’s ask has been but said he was surprised by it.

So far, Swayman is holding firm to his demand. It aligns with his personality of not backing down, especially following his uncomfortable 2023 arbitration hearing. According to Neely, Swayman wants to set a new market for goalies, specifically ones under team control.

“What his ask is and what we believe his comp group is,” Neely said, “are two different things.”

General manager Don Sweeney said he remains in contact with Lewis Gross, Swayman’s agent. The Bruins are not interested in trading Swayman.

“Ultimately, we’re a better team, as I’ve said all along, if Jeremy is part of our hockey club,” Sweeney said. “That’s my intention. That’s my wish. I’ll continue to work to do that. I think Jeremy and the team are both hurt in this regard. That’s what I’ll do. I’ll continue to work hard to find a settling point.”

With only three preseason games left, it is likely Swayman will miss regular-season time, even if an agreement is pending. Coach Jim Montgomery designated Joonas Korpisalo as his goalie for the regular-season opener against the Florida Panthers on Oct. 8, regardless of Swayman’s situation. The Bruins have two full practices remaining in camp.

“Where we are in camp right now, with how well camp has gone and how well Korpisalo has done,” Montgomery said, “right now, he’s going to be our Game 1 starter.”

How good is the offer?​

Swayman would become the fifth-highest-paid goalie in the NHL under the Bruins’ offer, behind Sergei Bobrovsky, Andrei Vasilevskiy, Connor Hellebuyck and Ilya Sorokin. Only Vasilevskiy ($9.5 million average annual value) signed his contract as a pending restricted free agent. The others were due to become unrestricted.

It is a significant payday for Swayman, considering he has never been a regular-season No. 1 goalie.

Last edited:

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022
Liar liar pants on fire.........and if that's the way he wants his agent to deal with this it's saying to me that being a Bruin isn't as important to him as he claimed it was. In fact, he might have been bitter from arbitration and he lied from the outset to the Bruins (which is why they believed him and traded Ullmark). So ultimately it's all bs and none of it matters.

Swayman had a simple choice here. With Neely putting the 64 million number out there Swayman could easily have just said, 64 million? Get me a pen, I'm there tomorrow. But he chose to let his agent make this ugly so I don't think he ever really cared about being a Bruin or not. 64 million is a generous overpay and if he doesn't want it, end this now. Goodbye Jeremy, enjoy being a Duck (or whatever)

Trade him for a top 6 winger.
after that stunt? I'm sure he is thinking if he even wants to play with them after their "coordinated effort" to embarrass him.

Also, the offers if true were at 7.5 per up until Neely's lie of 8 which was 2 days ago. So he shouldhave signed for 7.5?

Reactions: Dr Quincy

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Neither Am I but the cap and players have limitations. Does that cap hit make the Bruins a cup contending for the next 8 years if that's his ask?

Answer is nobody knows but Im willing to bet the real answer will be no. Never bet on a goalie being nothing better than good to average over an Eight year period.
The real cap question you should be asking isn't if slightly overpaying a top tier goalie in the short term is a problem. You should be asking why the team is paying nearly $8 mill for their 3rd pairing of defensemen. That's a far bigger issue in terms of the cap ramifications. Not overpaying a good player early, since the contract will be a bargain in a couple of years.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
Liar liar pants on fire.........and if that's the way he wants his agent to deal with this it's saying to me that being a Bruin isn't as important to him as he claimed it was. In fact, he might have been bitter from arbitration and he lied from the outset to the Bruins (which is why they believed him and traded Ullmark). So ultimately it's all bs and none of it matters.

Swayman had a simple choice here. With Neely putting the 64 million number out there Swayman could easily have just said, 64 million? Get me a pen, I'm there tomorrow. But he chose to let his agent make this ugly so I don't think he ever really cared about being a Bruin or not. 64 million is a generous overpay and if he doesn't want it, end this now. Goodbye Jeremy, enjoy being a Duck (or whatever)

How the hell are they getting a top six winger for a malcontent ego maniac with no resume who is demanding $10M/yr to play a worthless position?

You’re dreaming.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA

The trade value for goalies is notoriously low and always has been. This is one of the many reasons why his value is greater to the Bruins than it is to other teams.

Reactions: Roll 4 Lines

4ORRBRUIN

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2005
boston
That cap hit isn’t the only consideration in whether or not the Bruins are Cup contenders.

Going with Korpisalo and Bussi (or Patera now I guess) however? That ensures you won’t be sniffing a Cup.
You answer the question is a round about way. Swayman can turn out to be just like those guys. 8 years is a longtime

So we will stink wo Swayman is your position.

I don't agree.

I Hate Philadelphia

Aug 10, 2015
Orlando, Florida
An elite goalie doesn't guarantee a cup. Nothing does. But it guarantees you're a contender.

A bad goalie means you're in the lottery, period

This is flat out wrong.

The Vezina winner last season was on a team that lost in the first round.

Oilers made the finals with some of the worst goaltending in the league.

Where did you get this one from lol.

CheerstoBeers

Jan 28, 2008
How many olive branches do they need to give up, If we believe the reports the Bruins have made dramatic upward movement in their offers, which Sway has seemed to stay rather fixed. And if he turns down 8.25 do they need an olive branch at 8.5?

Swayman is going to lose 600+ K on October 15, and then moving forward. So each paycheck he would miss is basically the equivalent of losing 80K per year on the long term deal
Anything reported on offers and what Swaymans starting ask was is basically speculation. We don't know how much Swayman moved, maybe he started at 10 and he's down to 9, the Bruins starting at 6.5 and coming up from that certainly isn't an olive branch, everyone and their dog knows the number wasn't gonna be anywhere near 6.5.. I'd say basically Bruins came up a million, Swayman came down a million but their still pretty much a million apart. The olive branch is basically to mend the fences for Neely going public and embarrassing Swayman, even if we the fans thought it was great, Swayman certainly wouldn't have appreciated it. Doubtful Swayman takes 8 x 8 after that presser cause then it looks like he caved to the Bruins strong arming him . Come up a bit and let him think he won and admit going public was a mistake and move the f*** on for the benefit of everyone including the rest of the team and the fans.

4ORRBRUIN

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2005
boston
The real cap question you should be asking isn't if slightly overpaying a top tier goalie in the short term is a problem. You should be asking why the team is paying nearly $8 mill for their 3rd pairing of defensemen. That's a far bigger issue in terms of the cap ramifications. Not overpaying a good player early, since the contract will be a bargain in a couple of years.
Why will it be a bargain? because we will have more money to spend if and when the cap goes up? One has nothing to do with the other in my view.

A players worth is a players worth. As far as over paying for defenseman Im ok with that. The goalies don't mind either because it helps them look better than they really are.

I will go on record and predict Korpo will look underpaid this season.

Reactions: Bodit9 and lopey

The Murph

Feb 25, 2018
Eh, I'm offering up a counter point to the folks that were saying how Cam and Don don't negotiate via the media earlier this week, and blaming the leaks on Gross without any actual proof. Only to then use Cam's media driven "offer" as proof the team was making a real concerted effort to sign the guy without seeing the irony of it all.

If you don't like it, don't read it and don't respond to it. Either way, it's f***ing hilarious to me to point out the hypocrisy.

That last line is a head slapper.

You're talking about hypocrisy, but before that you say, "If you don't like it, don't read it and don't respond to it."

Well...if you don't like things....then maybe you shouldn't read things...and you shouldn't respond to things. Although, that's all you do.

Otherwise, fine with counter points, yours is just extreme.

But whatever, enjoy your attention...

DaBroons

Aug 2, 2005
Bruins GM made the blunder not accepting that 2nd year in arbitration.

If it's true that Sway was offered $6.5M for 8 years (almost $10M less over the first 7 years than what they gave Elias Lindholm), I would say that is a blatant slap in the face and reason enough to feel angry and no doubt started negotiations on the wrong foot.

$6.5M for 8 years is an insult and IMO not a very credible act of good faith.

I don't care if it was a "first offer" or not, Neely said in the presser that one of the things he likes about Sweeney is that "Donny doesn't lowball".
Respectfully disagree.

$6.5 would put Sway above Gibson but below Saros, and make him the 7th highest paid goalie in the league.

Swayman's ask would put him above not only Saros, but also Sorokin and then Hellebuyck into 4th highest. IMO, he doesn't have the track record to be above Saros and Hellebuyck.

Reactions: JAD and Bodit9

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
You answer the question is a round about way. Swayman can turn out to be just like those guys. 8 years is a longtime

So we will stink wo Swayman is your position.

I don't agree.
You can say that about any contract. That the guy could stink in a few years.

Korpisalo stinks today. And they don’t have a backup with any NHL experience whatsoever. From the catbird seat to a laughingstock at the goaltending position. The rest of the team may be okay (may not be - we’re not sure). But I promise the Bruins have no chance if Korpisalo X Bussi is the result of this nonsense. None.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
This is flat out wrong.

The Vezina winner last season was on a team that lost in the first round.

Oilers made the finals with some of the worst goaltending in the league.

Where did you get this one from lol.

Edmonton had volatile goaltending. Not one of the worst. One of the worst got spanked in round one and now plays in Boston

Reactions: LSCII

Beyonder

May 20, 2024
I'm going with: This is all just business and it'll evaporate into thin air once it's over. It's a fight over money. One side wants to keep more of it, one side wants to get more of it. That's all it is.

danpantz

Mar 31, 2013
Why would swayman be embarrassed by the Bruins saying they offered him 64 million if he wasn’t ever going to accept it anyways? Was embarrassed by the offer being to low?

I do know Sweeney and Cam were embarrassed a few times by Gross leaking stuff to Chiclets about the negotiation though.

Reactions: Bodit9 and lopey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad