Player Discussion Jeremy Swayman: VII- Swayman's agent basically calls Cam a liar

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

How does this saga end?

• Bridge deal

Votes: 51 22.0%
  • Long term deal

Votes: 64 27.6%
  • Trade

Votes: 117 50.4%

• Total voters

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
@Gee Wally

We have numerous deletions and more in here. We know tension and emotions are high.
But you folks must simply stop taking personal shots at each. Stay to topic.

If not we will be left with no choice other than adding thread bans.

BOSTON — Boston Bruins president Cam Neely suggested Monday that the team has made an eight-year offer to unsigned restricted free agent goaltender Jeremy Swayman at $8 million annually.

“I don’t want to get into the weeds with what his ask is,” Neely said at a news conference at TD Garden. “But I know that I have 64 million reasons why I’d be playing right now.”

Neely did not disclose what Swayman’s ask has been but said he was surprised by it.

So far, Swayman is holding firm to his demand. It aligns with his personality of not backing down, especially following his uncomfortable 2023 arbitration hearing. According to Neely, Swayman wants to set a new market for goalies, specifically ones under team control.

“What his ask is and what we believe his comp group is,” Neely said, “are two different things.”

General manager Don Sweeney said he remains in contact with Lewis Gross, Swayman’s agent. The Bruins are not interested in trading Swayman.

“Ultimately, we’re a better team, as I’ve said all along, if Jeremy is part of our hockey club,” Sweeney said. “That’s my intention. That’s my wish. I’ll continue to work to do that. I think Jeremy and the team are both hurt in this regard. That’s what I’ll do. I’ll continue to work hard to find a settling point.”

With only three preseason games left, it is likely Swayman will miss regular-season time, even if an agreement is pending. Coach Jim Montgomery designated Joonas Korpisalo as his goalie for the regular-season opener against the Florida Panthers on Oct. 8, regardless of Swayman’s situation. The Bruins have two full practices remaining in camp.

“Where we are in camp right now, with how well camp has gone and how well Korpisalo has done,” Montgomery said, “right now, he’s going to be our Game 1 starter.”

How good is the offer?​

Swayman would become the fifth-highest-paid goalie in the NHL under the Bruins’ offer, behind Sergei Bobrovsky, Andrei Vasilevskiy, Connor Hellebuyck and Ilya Sorokin. Only Vasilevskiy ($9.5 million average annual value) signed his contract as a pending restricted free agent. The others were due to become unrestricted.

It is a significant payday for Swayman, considering he has never been a regular-season No. 1 goalie.

Last edited:

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
How's that?
Going from the best goaltending duo in the league to the worst. Hell, with so many suggesting we simply sit Swayman for the year, we’re not even entertaining the assets acquired in a trade - however limited those may be.

Principle over team success. Need to make a point over winning games. Maybe folks are too young to remember the Steve Shields days and the purgatory that ensued with crossed fingers manning our nets? Dunno. I’m not in that camp.

Grimey

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 4, 2017
There's a hi

There is the matter of low balling him in arb, you ignore that.
I was responding to a post about whether lowball offers should count as offers or not. The original post didn’t even mention arbitration lol but same thing applies with arbitration I guess

Babajingo

But at this point Oettinger has played 193 games to Swayman’s 132
Oh I agree. There is an experience difference.
I'm just saying that next year Jake is an RFA goalie. I'm sure that whatever Swayman ends up with, will be used during his negotiations as a close comp. If he agreed to 7.5 or lowered the term then i imagine the union would be pissed because the Stars would use that as comparables for Jake. After all, its the unions job to maximize what the player is getting, so the other members can eventually benefit during their negotiations. I think. :confused:

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Like I said, I think they loved him at a certain value, liked him at a little more than that, and are fine moving on from him once he crosses a threshold they don't want to pay. Nothing more, nothing less. Just business. And on the flip side. I think Sway is viewing it the same.

Then Donnie Harvard is even dumber than I thought, letting his personal feelings get in the way of what's best for the team.
Yeah I mean that's just negotiations - you love every guy in the league at some price. But theres always some leeway - you'd have to think one side isn't budging much though at this point for it to go on this long. I have a tough time believing they are even close right now, otherwise I think one side would cave over a couple 100k.

Just to add to the last post I think if they thought they needed a plan B for this situation they would have just kept Ullmark and let it play out this offseason - which is why I think the main reason Korpi came over was to get that 1st, and a backup as a much lesser reason.

Reactions: LSCII

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
By not accepting 8x8, if that’s a real possibility, and spending a year on the couch, it might not ruin the goalie market but it certainly clouds the hell out of it.

Reactions: BMC

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
I say let him sit out the season and see if you can trade him next summer. I don't want him back.

The Bruins could do a lot with $9m in cap space. They could trade with teams and not have to send money back, that significantly lowers the acquisition price on players.
If he sits , and trading him next summer, his trade value is a lot less than it is today, but it is a two-way street his FA time does not start for two more years, and his contract value will take a hit in opinion.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
Going from the best goaltending duo in the league to the worst. Hell, with so many suggesting we simply sit Swayman for the year, we’re not even entertaining the assets acquired in a trade - however limited those may be.

Principle over team success. Need to make a point over winning games. Maybe folks are too young to remember the Steve Shields days and the purgatory that ensued with crossed fingers manning our nets? Dunno. I’m not in that camp.

Devolved into spite for daring to question the Bruin front office.

Sevendust

Jan 11, 2010
Munich, Germany
How is it 2024 and people still don't understand that contracts are paying for future expected performance?

Absolutely and I hate this development but this is how the league is trending. Recent contracts are the Brock Faber and Dylan Guenther ones. I was especially shocked about the Faber one.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Surprised at the number of people on here rooting for our goaltending to get flushed down the shitter.
Are you really that surprised though lol

I think they are getting into overpay territory real quick here, but I'm not one to nitpick paying homegrown talent, just get it done at this point and if there's still some lingering animosity hope he plays well and you can move him at the end of the year

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Every player in any arbitration gets low balled and shit on. Even if mcdavid himself went to arbitration, the management would highlight all of his flaws. It’s the cost of doing business in any negotiation.
How stupid do you have to be to deliberately antagonize your important assets?
You have to sit on your brains to operate like that.

Reactions: SwayHeyKid

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Sway`s agent has a MO, I`m not all in on Cam being the Prez but I don`t believe he`s lying on this one, I think this is the case of an agent who over reached and a client who has remained bitter of an arb case a year or two ago and can`t let it go

Love the potential of Sway but guy has played less than 150 NHL tilts, even without Sway, the D as currently constructed will be able to drastically cut down Prime chances from opponents

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
I think the bigger part of it is not f***ing up the salary cap down the line. We’ve lived through these big contract in the past with players like Backes and Belesky and its an area I’m sure the management does not want to get stuck in.
Florida won the Cup with Bob making $10M.

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022
Imagine if you will, a company going out of their way to publicly humiliate one of their top assets by spouting off with a COMPLETE LIE of an offer that never existed at that point. Clown shoes. A "coordinated" effort at that. Can't wait to see the Behind the B on this one. Should rival the Idiots of the Roundtable making the Seguin decision.

Swayman can't be "butthurt" by arbitration hearings but it's ok for the Bruins brass to be butthurt by a podcast. No wonder the teams they build falls apart under pressure when it matters.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad