Player Discussion Jeremy Swayman: VII- Swayman's agent basically calls Cam a liar

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

How does this saga end?

• Bridge deal

Votes: 51 22.0%
  • Long term deal

Votes: 64 27.6%
  • Trade

Votes: 117 50.4%

• Total voters

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
@Gee Wally

We have numerous deletions and more in here. We know tension and emotions are high.
But you folks must simply stop taking personal shots at each. Stay to topic.

If not we will be left with no choice other than adding thread bans.

BOSTON — Boston Bruins president Cam Neely suggested Monday that the team has made an eight-year offer to unsigned restricted free agent goaltender Jeremy Swayman at $8 million annually.

“I don’t want to get into the weeds with what his ask is,” Neely said at a news conference at TD Garden. “But I know that I have 64 million reasons why I’d be playing right now.”

Neely did not disclose what Swayman’s ask has been but said he was surprised by it.

So far, Swayman is holding firm to his demand. It aligns with his personality of not backing down, especially following his uncomfortable 2023 arbitration hearing. According to Neely, Swayman wants to set a new market for goalies, specifically ones under team control.

“What his ask is and what we believe his comp group is,” Neely said, “are two different things.”

General manager Don Sweeney said he remains in contact with Lewis Gross, Swayman’s agent. The Bruins are not interested in trading Swayman.

“Ultimately, we’re a better team, as I’ve said all along, if Jeremy is part of our hockey club,” Sweeney said. “That’s my intention. That’s my wish. I’ll continue to work to do that. I think Jeremy and the team are both hurt in this regard. That’s what I’ll do. I’ll continue to work hard to find a settling point.”

With only three preseason games left, it is likely Swayman will miss regular-season time, even if an agreement is pending. Coach Jim Montgomery designated Joonas Korpisalo as his goalie for the regular-season opener against the Florida Panthers on Oct. 8, regardless of Swayman’s situation. The Bruins have two full practices remaining in camp.

“Where we are in camp right now, with how well camp has gone and how well Korpisalo has done,” Montgomery said, “right now, he’s going to be our Game 1 starter.”

How good is the offer?​

Swayman would become the fifth-highest-paid goalie in the NHL under the Bruins’ offer, behind Sergei Bobrovsky, Andrei Vasilevskiy, Connor Hellebuyck and Ilya Sorokin. Only Vasilevskiy ($9.5 million average annual value) signed his contract as a pending restricted free agent. The others were due to become unrestricted.

It is a significant payday for Swayman, considering he has never been a regular-season No. 1 goalie.

Last edited:

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
LOL that’s a good one but I consider myself in the middle. Both parties need to get over themselves and work towards putting an end to this ridiculous soap opera already.
I don't consider you a management ball washer, I was just having fun because you set it up so perfectly. LOL

Reactions: Grimey

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
How is it 2024 and people still don't understand that contracts are paying for future expected performance?
It's ironic how teams will say they don't pay for past performances, but then the fans turn around and refuse to accept that the player is being paid for what they'll do in the future.

TobanWest

Jan 28, 2020
So is the new goalie acquired off of waivers from the Canucks any good? Does it mean they are one step closer to trading Sway?

Chevalier du Clavier

Écrivain de ferrage
Jul 20, 2005
So is the new goalie acquired off of waivers from the Canucks any good? Does it mean they are one step closer to trading Sway?
... a .907 SV% through 85 appearances, and his brief NHL action with Vegas was fine – a .902 mark with a 3.57 GAA through seven starts and one relief appearance over the past two years.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
So what is your fair market deal for Swayman?
I think 8x8 8x8.5 is where I expected it to end up. The issue is how this negotiation has gone now that Cam started playing media games because he's sensitive to PR.

Like I said earlier, if I'm Swayman and the team comes out and makes an "offer" in a press conference that they never extended to you, and insinuates you're being unreasonable because you didn't sign it, I want zero part of that organization.

Bridges31

Sweep the leg!
Oct 7, 2007
NH
How is it 2024 and people still don't understand that contracts are paying for future expected performance?
I think the bigger part of it is not f***ing up the salary cap down the line. We’ve lived through these big contract in the past with players like Backes and Belesky and its an area I’m sure the management does not want to get stuck in.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
You really don't think GMs hedge their bets? I mean, shit. I get why you'd say that with Sweeney given he was caught off guard twice when DK and PB retired and he hadn't addressed that possibility. but I'll give him full credit in this case. He took Korpisalo back for a reason, no question.
Of course they do. I think it's been pretty well established they got Korpi back as a way to get into the 1st round, I'm sure hedging for a situation like this was a secondary reason as well.

I'm talking about the fact you think they moved to plan B because Sway decided to "treat it like a business." No other player prior to him treated negotiations like a business?

I'm sure your entire being is fighting saying anything that isnt negative about management but a part of you has to know that Sway and his agent are playing just as much a part in the breakdown in negotiations here.

8 x 8.5 mil and let's all just move and be happy(ish) again

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
Serious question, why do goalies have no trade value? And if so should that not be a factor when determining their contract value?

They have always held minimal value in the eyes of many, I hope Swayman doesn't want to set the goalie trade market.
We won’t get near as much in a trade as some people think, that’s for sure.

The money a club commits to a player is directly proportional to the value that player holds for that team. To me, Swayman holds value to the Bruins like Marchand, McAvoy, Pastrnak. Perhaps that wouldn’t have been the case before trading Ullmark, but it’s what it is now.

Or… well maybe not anymore. So many fans have made up their minds about Swayman now - so much so that they’re willing to take a massive L just to never see him in a Bruins uniform again.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4ORRBRUIN and LSCII

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
There's a hi
That’s my point - it’s a starting point, same with Swayman’s original ask. I’m not saying he should sign for that low (or that the Bruins should immediately cave to Swayman’s demand). The starting points are a crucial step in the negotiation process so they obviously do count.
There is the matter of low balling him in arb, you ignore that.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
You really don't think GMs hedge their bets? I mean, shit. I get why you'd say that with Sweeney given he was caught off guard twice when DK and PB retired and he hadn't addressed that possibility. but I'll give him full credit in this case. He took Korpisalo back for a reason, no question.

I think that reason is Lewis Gross. He & Sweeney must have butted heads when Gross represented Torey Krug.

Reactions: Ladyfan and Bodit9

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Of course they do. I think it's been pretty well established they got Korpi back as a way to get into the 1st round, I'm sure hedging for a situation like this was a secondary reason as well.

I'm talking about the fact you think they moved to plan B because Sway decided to "treat it like a business." No other player prior to him treated negotiations like a business?

I'm sure your entire being is fighting saying anything that isnt negative about management but a part of you has to know that Sway and his agent are playing just as much a part in the breakdown in negotiations here
Like I said, I think they loved him at a certain value, liked him at a little more than that, and are fine moving on from him once he crosses a threshold they don't want to pay. Nothing more, nothing less. Just business. And on the flip side. I think Sway is viewing it the same.

I think that reason is Lewis Gross. He & Sweeney must have butted heads when Gross represented Torey Krug.
Then Donnie Harvard is even dumber than I thought, letting his personal feelings get in the way of what's best for the team.

Reactions: Mr. Make-Believe

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad