Player Discussion Jeremy Swayman: VII- Swayman's agent basically calls Cam a liar

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

How does this saga end?

• Bridge deal

Votes: 48 22.6%
  • Long term deal

Votes: 58 27.4%
  • Trade

Votes: 106 50.0%

• Total voters

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
@Gee Wally

We have numerous deletions and more in here. We know tension and emotions are high.
But you folks must simply stop taking personal shots at each. Stay to topic.

If not we will be left with no choice other than adding thread bans.

BOSTON — Boston Bruins president Cam Neely suggested Monday that the team has made an eight-year offer to unsigned restricted free agent goaltender Jeremy Swayman at $8 million annually.

“I don’t want to get into the weeds with what his ask is,” Neely said at a news conference at TD Garden. “But I know that I have 64 million reasons why I’d be playing right now.”

Neely did not disclose what Swayman’s ask has been but said he was surprised by it.

So far, Swayman is holding firm to his demand. It aligns with his personality of not backing down, especially following his uncomfortable 2023 arbitration hearing. According to Neely, Swayman wants to set a new market for goalies, specifically ones under team control.

“What his ask is and what we believe his comp group is,” Neely said, “are two different things.”

General manager Don Sweeney said he remains in contact with Lewis Gross, Swayman’s agent. The Bruins are not interested in trading Swayman.

“Ultimately, we’re a better team, as I’ve said all along, if Jeremy is part of our hockey club,” Sweeney said. “That’s my intention. That’s my wish. I’ll continue to work to do that. I think Jeremy and the team are both hurt in this regard. That’s what I’ll do. I’ll continue to work hard to find a settling point.”

With only three preseason games left, it is likely Swayman will miss regular-season time, even if an agreement is pending. Coach Jim Montgomery designated Joonas Korpisalo as his goalie for the regular-season opener against the Florida Panthers on Oct. 8, regardless of Swayman’s situation. The Bruins have two full practices remaining in camp.

“Where we are in camp right now, with how well camp has gone and how well Korpisalo has done,” Montgomery said, “right now, he’s going to be our Game 1 starter.”

How good is the offer?​

Swayman would become the fifth-highest-paid goalie in the NHL under the Bruins’ offer, behind Sergei Bobrovsky, Andrei Vasilevskiy, Connor Hellebuyck and Ilya Sorokin. Only Vasilevskiy ($9.5 million average annual value) signed his contract as a pending restricted free agent. The others were due to become unrestricted.

It is a significant payday for Swayman, considering he has never been a regular-season No. 1 goalie.

Last edited:
Reactions: nORRis8 and BMC

Therewolf31

Jul 24, 2024
On August 1, 2023, the Bruins and Swayman agreed to a one-year, $3.475 million contract in arbitration. After the hearing, Swayman expressed his discontent with the process, saying it was something he "never wants to do aga

B's should have taken the two year option

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Bruins at 8x$7.8 and swaymans camp apparently wants 8x$8.5.

Swayman continues his little petty run a little more due to Neely lying in the press conference about the $64 million offer.

Once Swayman feelings stop being hurt they agree right down the middle at 8x$8.15
Not sure if it was my father, read it somewhere, or David Hasselhoff character Mitch Buchanan on Baywatch, but take 24 -48 hours when you are upset with a situation like this.

Swayman isn’t evil. The Bruins aren’t evil.

We’ve all I’m sure had people we love and respect say stuff that bothered us and what we consider unfair

I get it. They took you to arbitration and compared you to Dan Vladar. That’s why we have therapists

Sweeney & Neely are not rooting against you ~ there are 64….err, 62.4 M reasons say they aren’t

changing your life path by asking for a trade could be better or not - this needs a conclusion soon

I want to shift my attention to why Monty hates kids

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
The Kings or Avs.

They don't current have the cap without sending us a premium piece in return but I think they are a goalie away from being a serious contender. That or Utah has the cap now.
What would you like to see back from Utah ?

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
I say this without hope I don't piss off Bruins fans because we all cheer for the same team come next week:

We have a team assembled as of now who are a playoff team. Swayman makes us much better not knowing how Korpisalo will work. I love this team but there's not one player on the team that I love more than the team. If Swayman signs, welcome the f*** back, you're gonna have a huge year. If he doesn't, next man up and let's adapt and win and you can f*** yourself!
I could live with that

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Boston is a very attractive destination for free agents giving this money to a guy like Ehlers next summer could definitely happen. If Korpisalo can find his LA form the Bruins could use this to become a super team.

I doubt we get a haul in return for Sway. Ruining his career and making him sit for 2 seasons honestly would be fine with me. Hope he doesn’t plan on living in Boston during this time don’t think anyone will make him feel welcome and anytime he does out to eat wait staff will be hocking loogies in his burger.

If Korpisalo gets off to a hot start Neely should go on Spitting chicklets and say the offer has gone down lol.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Boston is a very attractive destination for free agents giving this money to a guy like Ehlers next summer could definitely happen. If Korpisalo can find his LA form the Bruins could use this to become a super team.

I doubt we get a haul in return for Sway. Ruining his career and making him sit for 2 seasons honestly would be fine with me. Hope he doesn’t plan on living in Boston during this time don’t think anyone will make him feel welcome and anytime he does out to eat wait staff will be hocking loogies in his burger.

If Korpisalo gets off to a hot start Neely should go on Spitting chicklets and say the offer has gone down lol.
IMG_3745.gif

Reactions: CDJ

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Chiclets reported $6.2 short term vs $9.5 long term and that the Bruins hadn't returned a call in 3 weeks.
If Gross said $9.5M long term and don't call unless you are willing to sign that deal (speculating here - I have no clue) then I would have let him sit staring at the phone wondering if it is still working. Shit, I'd let it sit "unrang" for three months right up to the December 1 deadline.

Seriously all this leaking to the media is a shitty way to get a deal done. Rather, it's a perfect way to make sure a deal doesn't get done.

Reactions: Bodit9 and Ladyfan

TheReal13Linseman

Now accepting BitCoin
Oct 26, 2005
Nation's Capital
Swayman playing victim at every turn makes me think he'll melt with that big contract and blame others if he struggles. Cut bait at this point instead of having a lemon 60 plus million deal
To quote Yogi Berra: “99% of the thing is half mental” (or words to that effect)

Goalies can be head cases (we saw that a bit with Tuukka). I am quite frightened giving long term contracts to players who aren’t bona fide superstars, let alone goalies who haven’t really proven themselves yet.

goldenblack

Apr 15, 2024
If Gross said $9.5M long term and don't call unless you are willing to sign that deal (speculating here - I have no clue) then I would have let him sit staring at the phone wondering if it is still working. Shit, I'd let it sit "unrang" for three months right up to the December 1 deadline.

Seriously all this leaking to the media is a shitty way to get a deal done. Rather, it's a perfect way to make sure a deal doesn't get done.

I don't believe that to be true. But let's see.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Hope he signs soon this team has a chance to be special this season IMO

Wow. Guess everything they are saying is accurate then.

He didn’t play victim in the Toronto series he just put them on his back and carried them to victory
Accurate can mean many things.

1) Accurate in the sense that they reported correctly what Gross said.

2) Accurate in the sense that what Gross said is a fair and unmanipulated truth.

If I'm at Vegas and trying the new "Accuracy Challenge" game -- I think the chances of hearing me say "let it ride on 2" are infinitesimally small.

We have sketchy agent behavior hinted at on Nylander, Krug, Gadreau, and now Swayman. If it smells bad -- sometimes it is bad.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Not sure if it was my father, read it somewhere, or David Hasselhoff character Mitch Buchanan on Baywatch, but take 24 -48 hours when you are upset with a situation like this.

Swayman isn’t evil. The Bruins aren’t evil.

We’ve all I’m sure had people we love and respect say stuff that bothered us and what we consider unfair

I get it. They took you to arbitration and compared you to Dan Vladar. That’s why we have therapists

Sweeney & Neely are not rooting against you ~ there are 64….err, 62.4 M reasons say they aren’t

changing your life path by asking for a trade could be better or not - this needs a conclusion soon

I want to shift my attention to why Monty hates kids
I suspect it was the Hoff - and I mean no disrespect to your Dad when I say that.

It's just that this is so Hoff-like it hurts.

Short, clear advice that is easy to implement - and shows a maturity that is instructive without sounding all judgy.

Hoff has slipped a bit of late but, man, in the early days he was Plato x 3. Just an extraordinary man.

Reactions: DKH

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Just opened my Boston Globe and got my Dunkin ice coffee and front page sports

Marchand believes goalie’s new deal is going to get done

Whew

Reactions: Ladyfan

goldenblack

Apr 15, 2024
Just opened my Boston Globe and got my Dunkin ice coffee and front page sports

Marchand believes goalie’s new deal is going to get done

Whew

This deal was never in doubt,. No matter the drama in here.

2024 is just not 2004. This is a new era of drama and player boldness. If you look at the workplace in other areas, it matches up.

Sway has never had leverage. He has very little pull to other teams (who also won't pay 9.5). And he's surrounded by vets who know how to cool it down.

It's getting done.

The only thing in doubt to me, is how he'll play under that big deal...

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
I suspect it was the Hoff - and I mean no disrespect to your Dad when I say that.

It's just that this is so Hoff-like it hurts.

Short, clear advice that is easy to implement - and shows a maturity that is instructive without sounding all judgy.

Hoff has slipped a bit of late but, man, in the early days he was Plato x 3. Just an extraordinary man.
He really was ahead of his time. If I was a young hockey player like a David Krejci back in the day who could not speak English coming over, and I was his billet family - I would tell him to watch Baywatch and pay particular attention to David Hasselhoff character (not that there’s anything wrong with that) to not only learn the language, but how to conduct yourself.

Hoping Sway & Donny can get this completed and we can move on to 20 pages of Monty threads

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
He really was ahead of his time. If I was a young hockey player like a David Krejci back in the day who could not speak English coming over, and I was his billet family - I would tell him to watch Baywatch and pay particular attention to David Hasselhoff character (not that there’s anything wrong with that) to not only learn the language, but how to conduct yourself.

Hoping Sway & Donny can get this completed and we can move on to 20 pages of Monty threads
Interesting. I would have steered him towards Jim Rockford myself. Now there's a man.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
This deal was never in doubt,. No matter the drama in here.

2024 is just not 2004. This is a new era of drama and player boldness. If you look at the workplace in other areas, it matches up.

Sway has never had leverage. He has very little pull to other teams (who also won't pay 9.5). And he's surrounded by vets who know how to cool it down.

It's getting done.

The only thing in doubt to me, is how he'll play under that big deal...
Once I heard the difference is so close it really seemed to be egos as the last hurdle

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Interesting. I would have steered him towards Jim Rockford myself. Now there's a man.
My mother would love you - thank God my mother was a Bruins & Red Sox fan otherwise CSI or a detective show every freakin night

Who was the hot lawyer on the Rockford Files~ Beth something

I bet @Gee Wally knows lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad