Player Discussion Jeremy Swayman: VII- Swayman's agent basically calls Cam a liar

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

How does this saga end?

• Bridge deal

Votes: 48 22.7%
  • Long term deal

Votes: 58 27.5%
  • Trade

Votes: 105 49.8%

• Total voters

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
@Gee Wally

We have numerous deletions and more in here. We know tension and emotions are high.
But you folks must simply stop taking personal shots at each. Stay to topic.

If not we will be left with no choice other than adding thread bans.

BOSTON — Boston Bruins president Cam Neely suggested Monday that the team has made an eight-year offer to unsigned restricted free agent goaltender Jeremy Swayman at $8 million annually.

“I don’t want to get into the weeds with what his ask is,” Neely said at a news conference at TD Garden. “But I know that I have 64 million reasons why I’d be playing right now.”

Neely did not disclose what Swayman’s ask has been but said he was surprised by it.

So far, Swayman is holding firm to his demand. It aligns with his personality of not backing down, especially following his uncomfortable 2023 arbitration hearing. According to Neely, Swayman wants to set a new market for goalies, specifically ones under team control.

“What his ask is and what we believe his comp group is,” Neely said, “are two different things.”

General manager Don Sweeney said he remains in contact with Lewis Gross, Swayman’s agent. The Bruins are not interested in trading Swayman.

“Ultimately, we’re a better team, as I’ve said all along, if Jeremy is part of our hockey club,” Sweeney said. “That’s my intention. That’s my wish. I’ll continue to work to do that. I think Jeremy and the team are both hurt in this regard. That’s what I’ll do. I’ll continue to work hard to find a settling point.”

With only three preseason games left, it is likely Swayman will miss regular-season time, even if an agreement is pending. Coach Jim Montgomery designated Joonas Korpisalo as his goalie for the regular-season opener against the Florida Panthers on Oct. 8, regardless of Swayman’s situation. The Bruins have two full practices remaining in camp.

“Where we are in camp right now, with how well camp has gone and how well Korpisalo has done,” Montgomery said, “right now, he’s going to be our Game 1 starter.”

How good is the offer?​

Swayman would become the fifth-highest-paid goalie in the NHL under the Bruins’ offer, behind Sergei Bobrovsky, Andrei Vasilevskiy, Connor Hellebuyck and Ilya Sorokin. Only Vasilevskiy ($9.5 million average annual value) signed his contract as a pending restricted free agent. The others were due to become unrestricted.

It is a significant payday for Swayman, considering he has never been a regular-season No. 1 goalie.

Last edited:
Reactions: nORRis8 and BMC

LiseL

Sponsor
Sep 25, 2023
how bad did Stuzle get smashed?
Don't know yet, we'll find out tomorrow. Stutzle, Brady and Chabot all left the game with injuries. Hopefully it's minor and they're just being cautious as it's only the pre-season.

But if it’s more than 5 years you divide the total by 5. So you can’t really sheet him for 7 without it costing 4 firsts.
Thx for the clarification, I had forgotten about the 5 year aspect.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
Did anybody report that 6.2 at 4 years was actually offered or was it the starting point for the 8 year term? Every insider (Lebrun, Dreger) said both sides wanted a long term deal. The only mentions of bridge deals I've seen are those posted here but maybe I missed something.
Chiclets reported $6.2 short term vs $9.5 long term and that the Bruins hadn't returned a call in 3 weeks.

LiseL

Sponsor
Sep 25, 2023
No one as reported Swayman for asking for more than 10
My bad. Shesterkin is the one looking at $11 million +, I think Swayman's original ask was $9.5 million.

My main point is that RFA goalies usually don't get offered top 5 money as their resume isn't very long, especially if you've been in a tandem. But if the $64 million offer is to be believed, that is what he would be getting if he accepts it. Isn't that the point of signing RFAs long-term? Team takes the risk of your not playing well the full term but gets cost certainty, player takes a little less for the guaranteed money regardless of their play or health?

I'm a fan of another team but I feel bad for you guys. I truly sympathize and believe no one saw this coming. Hopefully it gets resolved quickly and everyone can move forward with no hard feelings, team and fans alike.

Lots of drama with this contract negotiation, that's for sure.

Last edited:

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
i think he signs soon swayman jersey in the mail
I hope he does too, because its a more than fair offer IMHO. Most of you know my thoughts on paying for goaltending.

The next move I hope he makes is that he shit-cans his agent. Gross overplayed his hand and he got outmaneuvered. All that does is put unnecessary pressure on his client (Swayman). If he puts up a similar performance as last year, for $4.5mil more, people are going to start asking questions....and they won't be directed at Sweeney.

I'll still blame him for trading Ullmark before locking up Swayman, however. That was a colossal f***up. Probably cost them at least $1mi/yr in AAV. Possibly more.

Reactions: Oates2Neely

Zalos

Berktwad
Feb 2, 2009
Quebec
My bad. Shesterkin is the one looking at $11 million +, I think Swayman's original ask was $9.5 million.

My main point is that RFA goalies usually don't get offered top 5 money as their resume isn't very long, especially if you've been in a tandem. But if the $64 million offer is to be believed, that is what he would be getting if he accepts it. Isn't that the point of signing RFAs long-term? Team takes the risk of your not playing well the full term but gets cost certainty, player takes a little less for the guaranteed money regardless of their play or health?

I'm a fan of another team but I feel bad for you guys. I truly sympathize and believe no one saw this coming. Hopefully it gets resolved quickly and everyone can move forward with no hard feelings, team and fans alike.

Lots of drama with this contract negotiation, that's for sure.
Honestly, I don't really get Swayman's side. The guy has yet to be a #1 for a full calendar year and he hasn't won anything. His club traded away his competition and is offering him 8x8. Why is he not on the ice already? Just sounds insane to me.

Jorgolyte

Jun 9, 2024
Honestly, I don't really get Swayman's side. The guy has yet to be a #1 for a full calendar year and he hasn't won anything. His club traded away his competition and is offering him 8x8. Why is he not on the ice already? Just sounds insane to me.
Honest to god, if the B' s hadn't gotten past the Leafs last year he'd be in the 5-6 mil range for a couple years. It's puzzling that most of the fan base are pretty happy with that big contract. I understand the cap is going up and SOME other teams overpay their goalies but I just don't see it with JS. Puzzling

Reactions: YukonCornelius

jonu

Dec 11, 2014
Moon
To be fair, Rask got a 11% of the cap contract (7M AAV / 64.3M cap) at the same age, with around the same amount of games on record. Rask followed up with a Vezina right after signing that contract and some people still held that contract against him on the back end of the deal, so with the contract talks already converted to a shitshow, Swayman is going to have even more pressure to perform if he is to sign over 9M.

Big contract comes with a big responsibility, here is what Pekka Rinne said about his big payday later in his career: “To me, when I signed that long-term deal, it was a huge burden on me,” Rinne said. “I was so scared if I'm ever going to be worth it. You put a lot of everything on one player, and I wasn't sure if I was ready for that.”

Eddie Munson

This year is my year. I can feel it. ‘86 baby!
Jul 11, 2008
If this continues I see this ending in a trade.

To me, 8x8 is more than fair. The Bruins have operated in good faith with Swayman trading away Ullmark to signal that Swayman is their guy & not taking him to arbitration again. It seems Gross is not operating in good faith and he and Swayman are now trying to inflate their value based on things the Bruins have already conceded. The leaks to Spittin Chiclets and others really seemed to get to Sweeney and Neely. Now Gross refuting what Neely stated about the 64m offer. If Gross has been lying threw statements and leaks, this may be difficult to come back from. Hence why I think this ends in a trade if it continues.

I also found it interesting that Jim Montgomery was asked on 98.5 yesterday about talks of him being extended and stated something along the lines of "extension talks have been had but details should stay between him and the Bruins and not be public."

Again, the Bruins have a way of doing things. They've built a culture since they signed Chara. This whole process from Gross and Swayman is so antithetical to how the Bruins operate.

Reactions: bruinsfan1968

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
I'd take a paycheck over sitting at home refusing to work until my salary demands are met, but that's just me, though I'd probably think differently if I were a millionaire in my early 20s lol.

I've successfully negotiated higher salary and more PTO before but I've never gone back on an offer and tried to reset the market for my role. There's a difference between fighting for your worth and what Swayman is doing.
Explain "gone back on an offer".

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Bruins at 8x$7.8 and swaymans camp apparently wants 8x$8.5.

Swayman continues his little petty run a little more due to Neely lying in the press conference about the $64 million offer.

Once Swayman feelings stop being hurt they agree right down the middle at 8x$8.15

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Swayman playing victim at every turn makes me think he'll melt with that big contract and blame others if he struggles. Cut bait at this point instead of having a lemon 60 plus million deal

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022
Hope he signs soon this team has a chance to be special this season IMO

He is the agent for one of them.

look it up! 🤔
Wow. Guess everything they are saying is accurate then.

Swayman playing victim at every turn makes me think he'll melt with that big contract and blame others if he struggles. Cut bait at this point instead of having a lemon 60 plus million deal
He didn’t play victim in the Toronto series he just put them on his back and carried them to victory

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Hope he signs soon this team has a chance to be special this season IMO

Wow. Guess everything they are saying is accurate then.

He didn’t play victim in the Toronto series he just put them on his back and carried them to victory

You can hang that victory next to the colts afc banner if you like. Just a reminder winning a rd isn't going to impress outside of swaymans reality

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad