Player Discussion Jeremy Swayman: VII- Swayman's agent basically calls Cam a liar

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

How does this saga end?

• Bridge deal

Votes: 46 22.0%
  • Long term deal

Votes: 58 27.8%
  • Trade

Votes: 105 50.2%

• Total voters

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
@Gee Wally

We have numerous deletions and more in here. We know tension and emotions are high.
But you folks must simply stop taking personal shots at each. Stay to topic.

If not we will be left with no choice other than adding thread bans.

BOSTON — Boston Bruins president Cam Neely suggested Monday that the team has made an eight-year offer to unsigned restricted free agent goaltender Jeremy Swayman at $8 million annually.

“I don’t want to get into the weeds with what his ask is,” Neely said at a news conference at TD Garden. “But I know that I have 64 million reasons why I’d be playing right now.”

Neely did not disclose what Swayman’s ask has been but said he was surprised by it.

So far, Swayman is holding firm to his demand. It aligns with his personality of not backing down, especially following his uncomfortable 2023 arbitration hearing. According to Neely, Swayman wants to set a new market for goalies, specifically ones under team control.

“What his ask is and what we believe his comp group is,” Neely said, “are two different things.”

General manager Don Sweeney said he remains in contact with Lewis Gross, Swayman’s agent. The Bruins are not interested in trading Swayman.

“Ultimately, we’re a better team, as I’ve said all along, if Jeremy is part of our hockey club,” Sweeney said. “That’s my intention. That’s my wish. I’ll continue to work to do that. I think Jeremy and the team are both hurt in this regard. That’s what I’ll do. I’ll continue to work hard to find a settling point.”

With only three preseason games left, it is likely Swayman will miss regular-season time, even if an agreement is pending. Coach Jim Montgomery designated Joonas Korpisalo as his goalie for the regular-season opener against the Florida Panthers on Oct. 8, regardless of Swayman’s situation. The Bruins have two full practices remaining in camp.

“Where we are in camp right now, with how well camp has gone and how well Korpisalo has done,” Montgomery said, “right now, he’s going to be our Game 1 starter.”

How good is the offer?​

Swayman would become the fifth-highest-paid goalie in the NHL under the Bruins’ offer, behind Sergei Bobrovsky, Andrei Vasilevskiy, Connor Hellebuyck and Ilya Sorokin. Only Vasilevskiy ($9.5 million average annual value) signed his contract as a pending restricted free agent. The others were due to become unrestricted.

It is a significant payday for Swayman, considering he has never been a regular-season No. 1 goalie.

Last edited:
Reactions: nORRis8 and BMC

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Lol what are “Gen Z vibes”?

Sounds like a coded way to apply ageism, while we’re discussing ethics in the work place.

felger became full hack sometime after the bruins won the cup because he realized his bruins suck shtick didn’t work anymore, once upon a time the guy was a genuine hockey and bruins fan albeit a jaded one, and instead just went full blown Alex Jones with his media personality. Let’s not pretend the dude is some sage now

That said, if I’m swayman I’m signing yesterday 8 for 8

His words, not mine. He explained that he doesn't like the entitlement without having really earned it.

Boston Bruno

Mostly not serious input..
Nov 2, 2002
Calgary
I was damn good myself.

A basement and street hockey hero.

It's true.
If you lay me sideways in net, none shall pass. :)

God, I want Swayman gone.
I am not sure if its a majority thought, but this has gone so badly compared to so many other players that I cant help but think its going to cause grief in the locker room.

LiseL

Sponsor
Sep 25, 2023
or former goalies and card carrying members of their fraternity, like Weekes.
Was the other ex-player on that Overdrive episode Noodles (Jamie Maclellan)? He's one of the regulars and a former goalie. If yes, then it would seem that not even all former goalies agree with Swayman. If not, then my comment isn't relevant so please ignore.

LiseL

Sponsor
Sep 25, 2023
I don't think that's true. Another team can send an offer sheet to Swayman - but it would have to be a team prepared to pony up and the Bruins would probably be compensated more than they would on the trade market for him IMO.
If the offer is between $6.87 to $9.16 million, it's a 1st, 2nd and 3rd. If it's over $9.16, it's two 1sts, a 2nd and a 3rd. It has to be a team's own picks so some teams wouldn't be in a position to do it. The only teams I could see doing this would be a rebuilding team that has a lot of cap space and prospects already in the pipeline. Also, Swayman would have to sign the offer sheet. If he's open to playing anywhere, then I guess a team like Anaheim, Chicago, Columbus or Calgary could be an option.

LiseL

Sponsor
Sep 25, 2023
I think that this is what the Bruins' brass wants the narrative to be.

However, by locking in at 8 years for that cap hit, Swayman likely leaves millions on the table during his prime years.

If I'm Swayman, give me the $8m per, but times 2 years and I want another bite at the apple when I can lock in at $10m AAV.

If I'm the club, I say the $8m per is only good if you go long term. If you want 2 years instead, it's at $6.5m.
And round and round it goes.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
If the offer is between $6.87 to $9.16 million, it's a 1st, 2nd and 3rd. If it's over $9.16, it's two 1sts, a 2nd and a 3rd. It has to be a team's own picks so some teams wouldn't be in a position to do it. The only teams I could see doing this would be a rebuilding team that has a lot of cap space and prospects already in the pipeline. Also, Swayman would have to sign the offer sheet. If he's open to playing anywhere, then I guess a team like Anaheim, Chicago, Columbus or Calgary could be an option.
But if it’s more than 5 years you divide the total by 5. So you can’t really sheet him for 7 without it costing 4 firsts.

LiseL

Sponsor
Sep 25, 2023
exactly sign him to a bridge deal and then if he proves he can continue what he has done so far and you feel he will never sign with you long term flip him at the trade deadline for a kings ransom.
Wishful thinking there. Look at the Ullmark trade, fair if Ullmark doesn't re-sign with Ottawa but no so great for the Bruins if he does stay in Ottawa. It's already known by the league now the kind of money Swayman is looking for so a king's ransom is highly unlikely. Goalie trades rarely return good value.

UConn126

Bass Player.
Sponsor
Jun 12, 2010
Somerville, MA
I wonder how many people wouldn't fight for worth in their negotiations. But that's just being greedy
I'd take a paycheck over sitting at home refusing to work until my salary demands are met, but that's just me, though I'd probably think differently if I were a millionaire in my early 20s lol.

I've successfully negotiated higher salary and more PTO before but I've never gone back on an offer and tried to reset the market for my role. There's a difference between fighting for your worth and what Swayman is doing.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Lol what are “Gen Z vibes”?

Sounds like a coded way to apply ageism, while we’re discussing ethics in the work place.

felger became full hack sometime after the bruins won the cup because he realized his bruins suck shtick didn’t work anymore, once upon a time the guy was a genuine hockey and bruins fan albeit a jaded one, and instead just went full blown Alex Jones with his media personality. Let’s not pretend the dude is some sage now

That said, if I’m swayman I’m signing yesterday 8 for 8
Felger has a Gen Z and msybe two of them lol

LiseL

Sponsor
Sep 25, 2023
I forget which GM it was who recently said there was no way they would deal a mid to early first round pick for Ullmark because goalies in general are just too unstable year to year to be worth it
Which is why I think Ottawa was the only team interested in giving a 1st and they had to accept Korpi as it was the only way Ottawa could fit Ullmark under their cap. Most GMs just don't value goalies as much as forwards and Dmen. Will be interesting to see what happens with the Rangers and Shesterkin, although the Rangers are known to overspend for stars so probably not a good barometer on to how the rest of the league will react going forward.

Reactions: Dennis Bonvie

LiseL

Sponsor
Sep 25, 2023
Felger not liking the Gen Z vibes or the " I took business classes in Maine " peacocking by Swayman
Another common theme we hear lately from some players is the cap is going up so they expect to get paid.

What I'd like to say to them: "True, but it's going up by $4 million, not $20 million. That has to be shared with the entire roster, not eaten all up by you. You're not the only player who needs to be signed or get a raise."

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
At this point I go out of my way to not draft or sign players represented by Gross. He's a toxic agent that doesnt negotiate in good faith. This is probably the 4th/5th high profile case of his antics.
I only paid attention to Nylander because it was Toronto and I know he’s Pastrnak buddy and was hoping he’d go to FA

But Gross brought the chaos lol

I think they've already tried this approach with that supposed 4 year 26 mil offer that the Spitting Chiclets clowns lambasted them over as a "low ball".

You don't get to earn 8+ mil and become UFA in 3/4 years. If that's your desired path, you make less for short term ability to rest the market quicker.
Gross had ties as an agent to Spittin Chicklets hosts so I would hope they are getting dirt on Donny lol

LiseL

Sponsor
Sep 25, 2023
And it doesn't in this case given that 6.2 was for a short term offer and 9.5 is for a longer term. The center is not where it would seem.
Did anybody report that 6.2 at 4 years was actually offered or was it the starting point for the 8 year term? Every insider (Lebrun, Dreger) said both sides wanted a long term deal. The only mentions of bridge deals I've seen are those posted here but maybe I missed something.

LiseL

Sponsor
Sep 25, 2023
Yet the cup winning goalie cost more than all of them, significantly so
My point is that both Shesterkin and Swayman want as much or more than what Bob got. Neither one beat him this year, did they? They were both eliminated after 6 games. Even Edmonton, with their average goalie and so so D, got it to game 7 and lost by one goal.

I don't think Swayman has yet reached the level Bob was at when he got that contract as a UFA. Bob also struggled at first with Florida when they were playing run and gun hockey. It wasn't until Zito came in and made some changes to the roster and coaches that they started making some noise in the playoffs and eventually winning it. Bob was really good in last year's playoffs, he was good enough this year but it's not like Bob took the team on has back to win the cup. Zito really had a nose for finding players underrated by other teams where they took off in Florida.

There's a reason other teams haven't followed suit with those big contracts for goalies after Price and Bob. It seems that Shesterkin and Swayman want to change that. All I can say is good luck with that. They may individually be successful but I don't see it becoming a thing throughout the NHL.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
My point is that both Shesterkin and Swayman want as much or more than what Bob got. Neither one beat him this year, did they? They were both eliminated after 6 games. Even Edmonton, with their average goalie and so so D, got it to game 7 and lost by one goal.

I don't think Swayman has yet reached the level Bob was at when he got that contract as a UFA. Bob also struggled at first with Florida when they were playing run and gun hockey. It wasn't until Zito came in and made some changes to the roster and coaches that they started making some noise in the playoffs and eventually winning it. Bob was really good in last year's playoffs, he was good enough this year but it's not like Bob took the team on has back to win the cup. Zito really had a nose for finding players underrated by other teams where they took off in Florida.

There's a reason other teams haven't followed suit with those big contracts for goalies after Price and Bob. It seems that Shesterkin and Swayman want to change that. All I can say is good luck with that. They may individually be successful but I don't see it becoming a thing throughout the NHL.

No one as reported Swayman for asking for more than 10

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad