Player Discussion Jeremy Swayman: VII- Swayman's agent basically calls Cam a liar

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

How does this saga end?

• Bridge deal

Votes: 44 21.6%
  • Long term deal

Votes: 57 27.9%
  • Trade

Votes: 103 50.5%

• Total voters

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
@Gee Wally

We have numerous deletions and more in here. We know tension and emotions are high.
But you folks must simply stop taking personal shots at each. Stay to topic.

If not we will be left with no choice other than adding thread bans.

BOSTON — Boston Bruins president Cam Neely suggested Monday that the team has made an eight-year offer to unsigned restricted free agent goaltender Jeremy Swayman at $8 million annually.

“I don’t want to get into the weeds with what his ask is,” Neely said at a news conference at TD Garden. “But I know that I have 64 million reasons why I’d be playing right now.”

Neely did not disclose what Swayman’s ask has been but said he was surprised by it.

So far, Swayman is holding firm to his demand. It aligns with his personality of not backing down, especially following his uncomfortable 2023 arbitration hearing. According to Neely, Swayman wants to set a new market for goalies, specifically ones under team control.

“What his ask is and what we believe his comp group is,” Neely said, “are two different things.”

General manager Don Sweeney said he remains in contact with Lewis Gross, Swayman’s agent. The Bruins are not interested in trading Swayman.

“Ultimately, we’re a better team, as I’ve said all along, if Jeremy is part of our hockey club,” Sweeney said. “That’s my intention. That’s my wish. I’ll continue to work to do that. I think Jeremy and the team are both hurt in this regard. That’s what I’ll do. I’ll continue to work hard to find a settling point.”

With only three preseason games left, it is likely Swayman will miss regular-season time, even if an agreement is pending. Coach Jim Montgomery designated Joonas Korpisalo as his goalie for the regular-season opener against the Florida Panthers on Oct. 8, regardless of Swayman’s situation. The Bruins have two full practices remaining in camp.

“Where we are in camp right now, with how well camp has gone and how well Korpisalo has done,” Montgomery said, “right now, he’s going to be our Game 1 starter.”

How good is the offer?​

Swayman would become the fifth-highest-paid goalie in the NHL under the Bruins’ offer, behind Sergei Bobrovsky, Andrei Vasilevskiy, Connor Hellebuyck and Ilya Sorokin. Only Vasilevskiy ($9.5 million average annual value) signed his contract as a pending restricted free agent. The others were due to become unrestricted.

It is a significant payday for Swayman, considering he has never been a regular-season No. 1 goalie.

Last edited:
Reactions: nORRis8 and BMC

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
Felger not liking the Gen Z vibes or the " I took business classes in Maine " peacocking by Swayman

The actual tone Swayman has in that interview was massively cringe worthy. I had not heard it until Felger played it and even without what happened yesterday, majorly concerning.

The multiple "I" statements and tone of it just did not sell "leader" or "team".

Again there is fair value for both parties. Expecting every player to take a discount is unrealistic. Mcavoy and Pastrnak did not but they did accept a fair offer.

This debacle is headed south and quick where Swayman and especially agent may have bit off far more than they can handle.

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
What drives me nuts is when people say that Swayman should've known that arbitration was just business and that the team, who he thought was invested in him and wanted him to succeed, talked badly about him. That he should be more professional and unemotional, and just business.

And now this year he's treating it like a business and doing what people do in business negotiations.... play hardball.

And guess what, the same people are killing him. "Why can't he show loyalty to the team that took a chance on him!! Why is he treating this just like a business??"

That's the shit that drives me nuts.

Swayman is taking this beyond business.

Business is calculated and fact driven.

Swayman has yet to start 45 games in a season and demands allegedly $9.5 million. That is not wise business.

He should have been demanding the 8x8 from the start which is a very valid demand.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
The actual tone Swayman has in that interview was massively cringe worthy. I had not heard it until Felger played it and even without what happened yesterday, majorly concerning.

The multiple "I" statements and tone of it just did not sell "leader" or "team".

Again there is fair value for both parties. Expecting every player to take a discount is unrealistic. Mcavoy and Pastrnak did not but they did accept a fair offer.

This debacle is headed south and quick where Swayman and especially agent may have bit off far more than they can handle.
And that podcast didn’t cover themselves in glory with their tweets afterwards. 100x more cringey - and Swayman was hugely cringe.

LiseL

Sponsor
Sep 25, 2023
I have been wondering myself how that would work for the team trading for Sway, do you sign him first and then trade him. I am sure the team trading for him would need to let the Bruins know what they would pay for a contract. I know he has NTC until he is 27, so that would not hold up a deal. Now please I do not know all of these contract's work, I am just putting my commonsense hat on.
Yes, they could sign him for what he's asking them promptly trade him. That's what happened with Hossa/Sens back in the day when they traded him to Altanta for Heatley right after he signed his RFA contract. I remember as he was my favorite player but was happy for him for success in Chicago.

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
What drives me nuts is when people say that Swayman should've known that arbitration was just business and that the team, who he thought was invested in him and wanted him to succeed, talked badly about him. That he should be more professional and unemotional, and just business.

And now this year he's treating it like a business and doing what people do in business negotiations.... play hardball.

And guess what, the same people are killing him. "Why can't he show loyalty to the team that took a chance on him!! Why is he treating this just like a business??"

That's the shit that drives me nuts.
The bolded is complete hyperbole. Most in here are suggesting he isn’t worth 9.5 to 10m per. Nothing about “loyalty”. You’re inserting that to help your narrative

LiseL

Sponsor
Sep 25, 2023
Best place for him lol

But gone sideways

Heading over Cliff but still time to hit the brakes

Nylander resolved Nylander issues I believe how ended - so maybe Swayman going to have to put his future in his own hands not leave to agent
Yeah, but Nylander didn't change agents after that so was it spin to save face? We'll never know.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
The bolded is complete hyperbole. Most in here are suggesting he isn’t worth 9.5 to 10m per. Nothing about “loyalty”. You’re inserting that to help your narrative
The line about showing loyalty to the team that took a chance on him was something said in this thread somewhere.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
I wonder how many people wouldn't fight for worth in their negotiations. But that's just being greedy

LiseL

Sponsor
Sep 25, 2023
They all hate the Bruins, that’s why.
Not all fans of other clubs. Sens fan here who thinks management is being more than fair. Fans of other clubs are being a little short-sighted because if the salaries go up at a crazy pace, then it will affect their team at some point. Also, the team of some of these fans is in the same division/conference and hope Boston takes a step back.

As many have already stated, goalies don't make as much as forwards because their position is wonky. Very few goalies play well year in year out, and then do it again in the playoffs.

Case in point: Shesterkin. His record in the playoffs wasn't much better than Skinner, the NYR lost to Florida in 6. Meanwhile Oilers lost to Florida by one goal in game 7. No guarantees even if you have one of the top 5 starters in the league.

LiseL

Sponsor
Sep 25, 2023
I actually saw something that said Pasta pushed them further than they wanted to go
Maybe the difference is because Pasta was UFA, Swayman is RFA. They had no choice if they wanted to keep him otherwise he would've went to market.

From an outsider looking in, I think they're frustrated because they don't want to break the bank on goaltending or give in to RFA demands as they're already dealing with expensive UFA signings (IMO).

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
Not all fans of other clubs. Sens fan here who thinks management is being more than fair. Fans of other clubs are being a little short-sighted because if the salaries go up at a crazy pace, then it will affect their team at some point. Also, the team of some of these fans is in the same division/conference and hope Boston takes a step back.

As many have already stated, goalies don't make as much as forwards because their position is wonky. Very few goalies play well year in year out, and then do it again in the playoffs.

Case in point: Shesterkin. His record in the playoffs wasn't much better than Skinner, the NYR lost to Florida in 6. Meanwhile Oilers lost to Florida by one goal in game 7. No guarantees even if you have one of the top 5 starters in the league.

Yet the cup winning goalie cost more than all of them, significantly so

Dizzay

Jul 8, 2004
Halifax
I say this without hope I don't piss off Bruins fans because we all cheer for the same team come next week:

We have a team assembled as of now who are a playoff team. Swayman makes us much better not knowing how Korpisalo will work. I love this team but there's not one player on the team that I love more than the team. If Swayman signs, welcome the f*** back, you're gonna have a huge year. If he doesn't, next man up and let's adapt and win and you can f*** yourself!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad