Player Discussion Jeremy Swayman: VII- Swayman's agent basically calls Cam a liar

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

How does this saga end?

• Bridge deal

Votes: 44 21.6%
  • Long term deal

Votes: 57 27.9%
  • Trade

Votes: 103 50.5%

• Total voters

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
@Gee Wally

We have numerous deletions and more in here. We know tension and emotions are high.
But you folks must simply stop taking personal shots at each. Stay to topic.

If not we will be left with no choice other than adding thread bans.

BOSTON — Boston Bruins president Cam Neely suggested Monday that the team has made an eight-year offer to unsigned restricted free agent goaltender Jeremy Swayman at $8 million annually.

“I don’t want to get into the weeds with what his ask is,” Neely said at a news conference at TD Garden. “But I know that I have 64 million reasons why I’d be playing right now.”

Neely did not disclose what Swayman’s ask has been but said he was surprised by it.

So far, Swayman is holding firm to his demand. It aligns with his personality of not backing down, especially following his uncomfortable 2023 arbitration hearing. According to Neely, Swayman wants to set a new market for goalies, specifically ones under team control.

“What his ask is and what we believe his comp group is,” Neely said, “are two different things.”

General manager Don Sweeney said he remains in contact with Lewis Gross, Swayman’s agent. The Bruins are not interested in trading Swayman.

“Ultimately, we’re a better team, as I’ve said all along, if Jeremy is part of our hockey club,” Sweeney said. “That’s my intention. That’s my wish. I’ll continue to work to do that. I think Jeremy and the team are both hurt in this regard. That’s what I’ll do. I’ll continue to work hard to find a settling point.”

With only three preseason games left, it is likely Swayman will miss regular-season time, even if an agreement is pending. Coach Jim Montgomery designated Joonas Korpisalo as his goalie for the regular-season opener against the Florida Panthers on Oct. 8, regardless of Swayman’s situation. The Bruins have two full practices remaining in camp.

“Where we are in camp right now, with how well camp has gone and how well Korpisalo has done,” Montgomery said, “right now, he’s going to be our Game 1 starter.”

How good is the offer?​

Swayman would become the fifth-highest-paid goalie in the NHL under the Bruins’ offer, behind Sergei Bobrovsky, Andrei Vasilevskiy, Connor Hellebuyck and Ilya Sorokin. Only Vasilevskiy ($9.5 million average annual value) signed his contract as a pending restricted free agent. The others were due to become unrestricted.

It is a significant payday for Swayman, considering he has never been a regular-season No. 1 goalie.

Last edited:
Reactions: nORRis8 and BMC

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Idk after the Cam 8 million per announcement thing its all on Sway. If he isn't signed by Monday he's not a team guy and doesn't deserve to wear the B any longer. 8 mil a year is extremely generous for a guy that hasn't played a full load as a starter.
I think he takes it

Players seem to be on board

I need to get back bitching about Lysell getting sent down

AlwaysSunnyInDetroit

Oct 1, 2021
Assuming an 8 year deal gets done, it's just short term pain for long term gain as he looks like a top 5 goalie and all-star.

Unless you prefer "more compliant" goaltenders like these guys.

View attachment 911380
i'd rather just wait a season for my homegrown guy to take the starters role and keep my assets

please educate me. which teams have the assets to give up, the cap space to accommodate sway's insane ask, are close enough to contention to make it all worth it and who's final missing piece is a starting goalie?

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
What drives me nuts is when people say that Swayman should've known that arbitration was just business and that the team, who he thought was invested in him and wanted him to succeed, talked badly about him. That he should be more professional and unemotional, and just business.

And now this year he's treating it like a business and doing what people do in business negotiations.... play hardball.

And guess what, the same people are killing him. "Why can't he show loyalty to the team that took a chance on him!! Why is he treating this just like a business??"

That's the shit that drives me nuts.
If he actually treated it like a buisness a deal would have been done.

I'm not asking for loyalty. Just some reality.

Oh, and that he spare us all the bellyaching BS.

Skelen

Jan 5, 2015
i'd rather just wait a season for my homegrown guy to take the starters role and keep my assets

please educate me. which teams have the assets to give up, the cap space to accommodate sway's insane ask, are close enough to contention to make it all worth it and who's final missing piece is a starting goalie?

The Kings or Avs.

They don't current have the cap without sending us a premium piece in return but I think they are a goalie away from being a serious contender. That or Utah has the cap now.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
the thing is if bruins dont get a very good trade they just let him miss
a season ….

Definitely a possibility, but I doubt the bruins want that distraction and would much rather get some form of return for him to play this year.

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
The Bruins failed this entire process. They should have sat swayman down and negotiated the one year cap crunch and then the extension. He went to arbitration because the Bruins were doing their typical take this or leave it deal
Depending on how this situation goes, the biggest failure on management is trading Ullmark away without signing Swayman first. Swayman told management he wants to be here, and they should have signed him first before dealing Ullmark away.

The issue with Swayman being involved in negotiations is just that, he's not, his agent is. This is back from May 2023: Jeremy Swayman gives crucial update on future in Boston
“I would like to be playing hockey, and ideally in a Bruins sweater,” Swayman said. “Again, I’m just taking it day by day and letting my agent be involved and take control. I have no doubt it will be a fun contract and good things will happen.”

He also said that he leaves the negotiation process up to those who are better equipped to handle it - his agent.

“No, I leave that up to the agents and the guys that are good at that. I’m excited for sure, I absolutely love it here and it’s going to be a fun process,” Swayman replied.

• Haha
Reactions: bruinsfan1968

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
So why would Cam say $64 mil? Can't multiply? Or was he misinformed by Dono? Or did he misremember?

Seems very strange.
He rounded up

and he was likely approved for 8/64 but Sweens trying to save a few hundred thousand being up against cap

7.8 is basically 8 to me

Glad this gets done and soon

Swayman - Korpi is high end

Reactions: Bodit9

What The Puck

Future GM
Feb 12, 2014
Northeast
My opinion and perspective:
The Bruins had a goalie tandem where both wanted to make bank in their contract years.
You cannot have a goalie tandem both making bank, so one of them had to go. Boston kept the younger one.
As soon as Linus left, Sway thought he had the team over a barrel. Started going on about his business acumen and wanting to set the market for the good of every goalie in the league. Probably agonized every night over getting the best deal for all those poor goalies out there starving in the NHL. This was his chance to make it right.

Eight times $8 million not good enough for a guy who has never been the workhorse, never won a Vezina nor a cup. Because he has that business training. The guy basically has his MBA.

My guess is, Sway gets traded to Anaheim, especially with Gibson out. I'm over it, can't wait till he leaves. Hope we get something good for him, and he can teach finance in his new locker room.

Lord Ahriman

Oct 21, 2009
According Puckpedia they have $7.8M. Let's say Brown/Lettieri to AHL, Bussi waived and Johnson/Lysell in. That would give them ~ $9.2M to sign Swayman and cap space for any call up. Not good, but not terrible either. That being said, imo, the "$8M sand line" shouldn't be crossed.

Reactions: BiteThisBurrows

BiteThisBurrows

Feb 11, 2022
The Kings or Avs.

They don't current have the cap without sending us a premium piece in return but I think they are a goalie away from being a serious contender. That or Utah has the cap now.
If you send a top 6 forward back to the Bruins in any Swayman deal you probably open up enough cap to include a lot of other teams in that list.

LiseL

Sponsor
Sep 25, 2023
My late brother was an NCAA D1 goalie recruited by Northeastern during his 1968-69
HS season and he was absolutely insane.

Is Gross still Nylanders agent?
Yep. According to what I read, in his recent contract negotiation, Gross told Treliving Nylander wanted $92 million or he'd test the UFA market. Treliving caved. I guess Nylander wasn't upset with his agent back in 2018, maybe that was just spin to save face. We'll never know.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad