Player Discussion Jeremy Swayman: VII- Swayman's agent basically calls Cam a liar

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

How does this saga end?

• Bridge deal

Votes: 44 21.6%
  • Long term deal

Votes: 57 27.9%
  • Trade

Votes: 103 50.5%

• Total voters

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
@Gee Wally

We have numerous deletions and more in here. We know tension and emotions are high.
But you folks must simply stop taking personal shots at each. Stay to topic.

If not we will be left with no choice other than adding thread bans.

BOSTON — Boston Bruins president Cam Neely suggested Monday that the team has made an eight-year offer to unsigned restricted free agent goaltender Jeremy Swayman at $8 million annually.

“I don’t want to get into the weeds with what his ask is,” Neely said at a news conference at TD Garden. “But I know that I have 64 million reasons why I’d be playing right now.”

Neely did not disclose what Swayman’s ask has been but said he was surprised by it.

So far, Swayman is holding firm to his demand. It aligns with his personality of not backing down, especially following his uncomfortable 2023 arbitration hearing. According to Neely, Swayman wants to set a new market for goalies, specifically ones under team control.

“What his ask is and what we believe his comp group is,” Neely said, “are two different things.”

General manager Don Sweeney said he remains in contact with Lewis Gross, Swayman’s agent. The Bruins are not interested in trading Swayman.

“Ultimately, we’re a better team, as I’ve said all along, if Jeremy is part of our hockey club,” Sweeney said. “That’s my intention. That’s my wish. I’ll continue to work to do that. I think Jeremy and the team are both hurt in this regard. That’s what I’ll do. I’ll continue to work hard to find a settling point.”

With only three preseason games left, it is likely Swayman will miss regular-season time, even if an agreement is pending. Coach Jim Montgomery designated Joonas Korpisalo as his goalie for the regular-season opener against the Florida Panthers on Oct. 8, regardless of Swayman’s situation. The Bruins have two full practices remaining in camp.

“Where we are in camp right now, with how well camp has gone and how well Korpisalo has done,” Montgomery said, “right now, he’s going to be our Game 1 starter.”

How good is the offer?​

Swayman would become the fifth-highest-paid goalie in the NHL under the Bruins’ offer, behind Sergei Bobrovsky, Andrei Vasilevskiy, Connor Hellebuyck and Ilya Sorokin. Only Vasilevskiy ($9.5 million average annual value) signed his contract as a pending restricted free agent. The others were due to become unrestricted.

It is a significant payday for Swayman, considering he has never been a regular-season No. 1 goalie.

Last edited:
Reactions: BMC

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Any team is open to try to negotiate with Swayman now since he is a free agent. Whether for purposes of an offer sheet or to facilitate a trade. Obviously Swayman doesn’t need to say yes to negotiating with them. But teams don’t need the Bruins permission to do so, though it’s rare that this actually happens.

EDITED as I educated myself. Okay, true, but the Bruins as I read it would then be entitled to match or receive compensation. So, an offer sheet, basically. I think the draft pick cost at the size of the contract ask is prohibitive.

Last edited:

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Got you. I think they misjudged a tremendous amount on that and it was a total swing and miss beginning to end.

However, as you say, maybe not room to "definitively" call Neely a liar. That's a strong word and some here are already saying "he lied once, so he would definitely do it again".

I pay attention to the details on these things because like everyone else here, I never ever ever tell anything but the total unvarnished uncompromised truth no matter how idiotic I look for the things I previously did, assumed, or said.

I wouldn't lie to you on this Dr. Q. I promise.

Really.

And I do mean it. I am like lily white virgin snow.

I promise.
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:
I don't think there's a way you PROVE that they knew what most fans knew, but if you ask me were they completely ignorant or lying, I'd have to go with lying.

I could say a lot more about it but i don't want to derail this thread more.

Reactions: Number8

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022
Mazz had a good theory.

He basically said that the Bruins started at $6.2 on a short term deal and Swayman started at $9.5, as reported by Whitney.

The "middle" of those two asks is $7.8. He believes the Bruins have said, "alright we'll meet you in the middle..." but the Swayman camp hasn't moved or barely moved off $9.5.
this would make the most sense. I have said the Bruins seem to be making more of an effort. Swayman seems convinced he is worth or can get 9.5

Felger not liking the Gen Z vibes or the " I took business classes in Maine " peacocking by Swayman
Is this the same Felger nobody here likes?

Reactions: lopey and Dr Quincy

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
EDITED as I educated myself. Okay, true, but the Bruins as I read it would then be entitled to match or receive compensation. So, an offer sheet, basically. I think the draft pick cost at the size of the contract ask is prohibitive.
100% prohibitive. Especially because the sheet would need to be 4 years to keep it out of four firsts territory. And that’s probably not something Swayman signs without it being a huge overpay.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
i'm only 26 pages in but a lot of people in this thread talking about trade returns

i gotta say, as a fan of another team, this guy has major negative value. i wouldn't trade a cap dump for him. swayman is on record saying he wants to set the market, the biggest scumbag agent in the game, and you want me to give up positive assets just to watch them drag my front office through mud? no thank you
What about Clam chowder and Swayman for Trey Augustine, Nate Danielson, and for the Red Sox that guy Tarik Skrubal.

Swayman certainly isn't gaining many fans here.
He gets 1/3 back when signs
He gets 1/3 playing well regular season
He gets 1/3 winning 2 playoff rounds

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
100% prohibitive. Especially because the sheet would need to be 4 years to keep it out of four firsts territory. And that’s probably not something Swayman signs without it being a huge overpay.

Not only that but also:

“That rules several teams out already from signing high-profile RFAs unless they were to work to reacquire their picks before submitting the contract. An offer sheet’s average annual value is also calculated slightly differently than a standard contract; if the contract is of a length greater than five years, the total salary is still divided by five to determine the AAV.

That would mean a seven-year contract worth $8MM per season would carry an AAV of $11.2MM for the purposes of offer sheet compensation.”

@DominicT keeps reminding me of this.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
alright, fine. but as part of the deal boston also has to take kid rock

f*** that.
IMG_0763.gif

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Not only that but also:

“That rules several teams out already from signing high-profile RFAs unless they were to work to reacquire their picks before submitting the contract. An offer sheet’s average annual value is also calculated slightly differently than a standard contract; if the contract is of a length greater than five years, the total salary is still divided by five to determine the AAV.

That would mean a seven-year contract worth $8MM per season would carry an AAV of $11.2MM for the purposes of offer sheet compensation.”

@DominicT keeps reminding me of this.
Yeah that’s what j was saying but more clumsily.

Reactions: Gee Wally

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
“martyrdom, get over it. You werent the first person that went to arbitration’.”.
This is the shit that drives me nuts about this.

1) you opted for arbitration not the Bruins

2) how did you not know what was coming in arbitration when every poster on HF boards does. But you don't. BS.

3) How did your agent not prepare you for what was coming. He seemed more intent on preparing you to cry than anything else.

4) those buisness classes you took don't appear to have been worth the time.
A good buisness man is good at assessing the value of things. You have been offered a more than fair offer but again your agent is preparing you for some more butt hurt BS. If you had learned anything a buisness school you wouldn't have the agent you have.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
The Bruins failed this entire process. They should have sat swayman down and negotiated the one year cap crunch and then the extension. He went to arbitration because the Bruins were doing their typical take this or leave it deal

Reactions: Dr Quincy and LSCII

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
This is the shit that drives me nuts about this.

1) you opted for arbitration not the Bruins

2) how did you not know what was coming in arbitration when every poster on HF boards does. But you don't. BS.

3) How did your agent not prepare you for what was coming. He seemed more intent on preparing you to cry than anything else.

4) those buisness classes you took don't appear to have been worth the time.
A good buisness man is good at assessing the value of things. You have been offered a more than fair offer but again your agent is preparing you for some more butt hurt BS. If you had learned anything a buisness school you wouldn't have the agent you have.
What drives me nuts is when people say that Swayman should've known that arbitration was just business and that the team, who he thought was invested in him and wanted him to succeed, talked badly about him. That he should be more professional and unemotional, and just business.

And now this year he's treating it like a business and doing what people do in business negotiations.... play hardball.

And guess what, the same people are killing him. "Why can't he show loyalty to the team that took a chance on him!! Why is he treating this just like a business??"

That's the shit that drives me nuts.

• Haha
Reactions: PB37 and LSCII

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
The Bruins failed this entire process. They should have sat swayman down and negotiated the one year cap crunch and then the extension. He went to arbitration because the Bruins were doing their typical take this or leave it deal
Bruins failed because Sweeney probably had Sway at 7.8 M until Cam negotiated up to 8 M costing Donny 200K for moves

8/64 still a win win for everyone

Greek_physique

Caron - Legit SNIPER
Jul 9, 2004
Toronto, Ont
What drives me nuts is when people say that Swayman should've known that arbitration was just business and that the team, who he thought was invested in him and wanted him to succeed, talked badly about him. That he should be more professional and unemotional, and just business.

And now this year he's treating it like a business and doing what people do in business negotiations.... play hardball.

And guess what, the same people are killing him. "Why can't he show loyalty to the team that took a chance on him!! Why is he treating this just like a business??"

That's the shit that drives me nuts.
1727819630270.jpeg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad