Player Discussion Jeremy Swayman: VII- Swayman's agent basically calls Cam a liar

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

How does this saga end?

• Bridge deal

Votes: 44 21.7%
  • Long term deal

Votes: 57 28.1%
  • Trade

Votes: 102 50.2%

• Total voters

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
@Gee Wally

We have numerous deletions and more in here. We know tension and emotions are high.
But you folks must simply stop taking personal shots at each. Stay to topic.

If not we will be left with no choice other than adding thread bans.

BOSTON — Boston Bruins president Cam Neely suggested Monday that the team has made an eight-year offer to unsigned restricted free agent goaltender Jeremy Swayman at $8 million annually.

“I don’t want to get into the weeds with what his ask is,” Neely said at a news conference at TD Garden. “But I know that I have 64 million reasons why I’d be playing right now.”

Neely did not disclose what Swayman’s ask has been but said he was surprised by it.

So far, Swayman is holding firm to his demand. It aligns with his personality of not backing down, especially following his uncomfortable 2023 arbitration hearing. According to Neely, Swayman wants to set a new market for goalies, specifically ones under team control.

“What his ask is and what we believe his comp group is,” Neely said, “are two different things.”

General manager Don Sweeney said he remains in contact with Lewis Gross, Swayman’s agent. The Bruins are not interested in trading Swayman.

“Ultimately, we’re a better team, as I’ve said all along, if Jeremy is part of our hockey club,” Sweeney said. “That’s my intention. That’s my wish. I’ll continue to work to do that. I think Jeremy and the team are both hurt in this regard. That’s what I’ll do. I’ll continue to work hard to find a settling point.”

With only three preseason games left, it is likely Swayman will miss regular-season time, even if an agreement is pending. Coach Jim Montgomery designated Joonas Korpisalo as his goalie for the regular-season opener against the Florida Panthers on Oct. 8, regardless of Swayman’s situation. The Bruins have two full practices remaining in camp.

“Where we are in camp right now, with how well camp has gone and how well Korpisalo has done,” Montgomery said, “right now, he’s going to be our Game 1 starter.”

How good is the offer?​

Swayman would become the fifth-highest-paid goalie in the NHL under the Bruins’ offer, behind Sergei Bobrovsky, Andrei Vasilevskiy, Connor Hellebuyck and Ilya Sorokin. Only Vasilevskiy ($9.5 million average annual value) signed his contract as a pending restricted free agent. The others were due to become unrestricted.

It is a significant payday for Swayman, considering he has never been a regular-season No. 1 goalie.

Last edited:
Reactions: BMC

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022
He has overpriced himself. 62.5 mill or 64 million is max he going to get
Agree it settles there. If the Bruins are willing to give him that you don’t think other teams would give assets for that? If not why are the Bruins wanting to pay him that much

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
So few teams including Detroit are desperate for passable goaltending. He has plentiful value.

It's not that he has no value, but it would have to be to a team that is willing to pony up the ask long term, as well as give assets for the right to do it. They know the deal- that it's going to take more than 8x8 to get it done. I bet you find very few, if any, takers there.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Mazz had a good theory.

He basically said that the Bruins started at $6.2 on a short term deal and Swayman started at $9.5, as reported by Whitney.

The "middle" of those two asks is $7.8. He believes the Bruins have said, "alright we'll meet you in the middle..." but the Swayman camp hasn't moved or barely moved off $9.5.
It makes sense, but it's also pointless. Where you started doesn't really matter all that much if the offer isnt sincere. With this theory, Sweeney offers 3mil, hey that's decent money. Alright we meet half way and call 6 and change

Reactions: JOKER 192

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
It makes sense, but it's also pointless. Where you started doesn't really matter all that much if neither offer is sincere. With this theory, Sweeny offers 3mil, hey that's decent money. Alright we meet half way and call 6 and change

The theory is that Sweeney started at 6.2m though, not 3. It's a negotiation starting point. If Swayman had said yes to 6.2, I bet the offer was sincere enough that Sweeney would have taken it. Same the other way, so I don't really get the sincerity part here.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
It makes sense, but it's also pointless. Where you started doesn't really matter all that much if the offer isnt sincere. With this theory, Sweeney offers 3mil, hey that's decent money. Alright we meet half way and call 6 and change
Why do you assume the offer wasn't sincere? $6.2m on short term deal is what every other goalie in Swayman's situation signed for, with the exception of Vasilevsky who had been a starter for 3 years and won a Vezina.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
The theory is that Sweeney started at 6.2m though, not 3. It's a negotiation starting point. If Swayman had said yes to 6.2, I bet the offer was sincere enough that Sweeney would have taken it. Same the other way, so I don't really get the sincerity part here.
I'm only saying "meet in the middle" doesn't always make sense.

Reactions: JOKER 192

BTO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 20, 2019
The Big Smoke (unfortunately)
Mazz had a good theory.

He basically said that the Bruins started at $6.2 on a short term deal and Swayman started at $9.5, as reported by Whitney.

The "middle" of those two asks is $7.8. He believes the Bruins have said, "alright we'll meet you in the middle..." but the Swayman camp hasn't moved or barely moved off $9.5.
Right. But now there’s the alleged ”Swayman wants 8.5” leak. Which is probably just that - a leak to make it look like they’re not asking for 9.5.

The point tho that the 8/8 is now out there. So either he takes it (or like 8.15/8.25 to “meet in the middle”) or he either sits out or goes bye bye. I’m fine with all 3.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Why do you assume the offer wasn't sincere? $6.2m on short term deal is what every other goalie in Swayman's situation signed for, with the exception of Vasilevsky who had been a starter for 3 years and won a Vezina.
That isn't what I said at all. 6 and change is a fine starting point, but the idea of "meeting half way" doesn't always make sense.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I'm only saying "meet in the middle" doesn't always make sense.
Fair enough, but if Swayman started at 9.5 and hasn't budged much if at all, I don't think that is what expected when you go into a negotiation. Or maybe it never was an actual negotiation. Maybe the offer was here is what we'll take and no arguments about it. :dunno:

Reactions: BTO

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
That isn't what I said at all. 6 and change is a fine starting point, but the idea of "meeting half way" doesn't always make sense.
Yes it does if both sides are being reasonable in their original ask. In your example you use 3 mil, which isn't even a reasonable number to start with.

BTO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 20, 2019
The Big Smoke (unfortunately)
So I'm just reading the reactions here, but it sounds like Neely has 0 reason to join the show today. If the media is gonna do his bidding, why take the risk of saying something stupid? Just let the media do the cooking
Yup, if the media is carrying the water for him, and for us, let them. Swayman has to know what way the wind’s blowing at this point. Either he takes the 8, or 8.15 or 8.25, or he sits or goes bye bye. Up to him at this point cause he’s sure not getting 9.5. Or we’ll take a 1st (or two 1sts if someone’s really stupid) a 2nd and a 3rd if someone (read no one) wants to pay him that.

Reactions: BMC

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
It's not that he has no value, but it would have to be to a team that is willing to pony up the ask long term, as well as give assets for the right to do it. They know the deal- that it's going to take more than 8x8 to get it done. I bet you find very few, if any, takers there.
Any team is open to try to negotiate with Swayman now since he is a free agent. Whether for purposes of an offer sheet or to facilitate a trade. Obviously Swayman doesn’t need to say yes to negotiating with them. But teams don’t need the Bruins permission to do so, though it’s rare that this actually happens.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Yes it does if both sides are being reasonable in their original ask. In your example you use 3 mil, which isn't even a reasonable number to start with.
Which is why I said when the starting point isn’t sincere

At this point i think I’d rather go back to the “he said he wants to reset the goalie market!” Talk

Yup, if the media is carrying the water for him, and for us, let them. Swayman has to know what way the wind’s blowing at this point. Either he takes the 8, or 8.15 or 8.25, or he sits or goes bye bye. Up to him at this point cause he’s sure not getting 9.5. Or we’ll take a 1st (or two 1sts if someone’s really stupid) a 2nd and a 3rd if someone (read no one) wants to pay him that.
The 8, or 8.15, or 8.25 has to be tabled first. God only knows if it has.

I’d like to think they’ve pushed across an offer of 8x8, but this whole thing is a mess, might as well add one more blunder to the list

• Haha
Reactions: BTO and NDiesel

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad