Player Discussion Jeremy Swayman: VII- Swayman's agent basically calls Cam a liar

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

How does this saga end?

• Bridge deal

Votes: 44 21.8%
  • Long term deal

Votes: 57 28.2%
  • Trade

Votes: 101 50.0%

• Total voters

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
@Gee Wally

We have numerous deletions and more in here. We know tension and emotions are high.
But you folks must simply stop taking personal shots at each. Stay to topic.

If not we will be left with no choice other than adding thread bans.

BOSTON — Boston Bruins president Cam Neely suggested Monday that the team has made an eight-year offer to unsigned restricted free agent goaltender Jeremy Swayman at $8 million annually.

“I don’t want to get into the weeds with what his ask is,” Neely said at a news conference at TD Garden. “But I know that I have 64 million reasons why I’d be playing right now.”

Neely did not disclose what Swayman’s ask has been but said he was surprised by it.

So far, Swayman is holding firm to his demand. It aligns with his personality of not backing down, especially following his uncomfortable 2023 arbitration hearing. According to Neely, Swayman wants to set a new market for goalies, specifically ones under team control.

“What his ask is and what we believe his comp group is,” Neely said, “are two different things.”

General manager Don Sweeney said he remains in contact with Lewis Gross, Swayman’s agent. The Bruins are not interested in trading Swayman.

“Ultimately, we’re a better team, as I’ve said all along, if Jeremy is part of our hockey club,” Sweeney said. “That’s my intention. That’s my wish. I’ll continue to work to do that. I think Jeremy and the team are both hurt in this regard. That’s what I’ll do. I’ll continue to work hard to find a settling point.”

With only three preseason games left, it is likely Swayman will miss regular-season time, even if an agreement is pending. Coach Jim Montgomery designated Joonas Korpisalo as his goalie for the regular-season opener against the Florida Panthers on Oct. 8, regardless of Swayman’s situation. The Bruins have two full practices remaining in camp.

“Where we are in camp right now, with how well camp has gone and how well Korpisalo has done,” Montgomery said, “right now, he’s going to be our Game 1 starter.”

How good is the offer?​

Swayman would become the fifth-highest-paid goalie in the NHL under the Bruins’ offer, behind Sergei Bobrovsky, Andrei Vasilevskiy, Connor Hellebuyck and Ilya Sorokin. Only Vasilevskiy ($9.5 million average annual value) signed his contract as a pending restricted free agent. The others were due to become unrestricted.

It is a significant payday for Swayman, considering he has never been a regular-season No. 1 goalie.

Last edited:
Reactions: BMC

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
I know how radios work.

I’m listening because Neely is suppose to speak. I’m asking if anyone knows when Neely is on.

Do you know when Neely is on or not?
Greg Bedard is on until 4pm they aren’t talking hockey with him there. Didn’t someone mention Neely was spotted in NYC this morning at the board of governors meeting?

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
i'm only 26 pages in but a lot of people in this thread talking about trade returns

i gotta say, as a fan of another team, this guy has major negative value. i wouldn't trade a cap dump for him. swayman is on record saying he wants to set the market, the biggest scumbag agent in the game, and you want me to give up positive assets just to watch them drag my front office through mud? no thank you

So few teams including Detroit are desperate for passable goaltending. He has plentiful value.

BiteThisBurrows

Feb 11, 2022
Okay, a lot of people are up in arms (siding one way or the other) over "who lied" but I doubt that there actually is any real "lying:".

My guess is that Neely's just not good at math. He's Cam Neely. Hockey legend, But does anybody actually think of him as an overly smart and calculating mind? In hockey maybe, but not in math. I suspect the number was 7.8 and Cam, having had enough of this, decided to blurt it out. In his brain he's like what's 8x7.8? I can't do that in my head, round it up, close enough, 64 million reasons. No malice intended, just sloppy math skills.

The reality (away from the rhetoric) is likely simple. Bruins started at 6.2 and 4 years. Swayman's agent held firm at 8 years and 8.5. Several reports have said he hasn't budged and the Bruins have slowly come up towards it but I think he was set on the number starting with an 8 and Bruins wanted it below 8 (even marginally) and that was the line.

So now because of the sloppy math Swayman's like hey I would have taken 8, we weren't offered 8 wtf, and everybody's in a tizzy because Neely can't multiply with decimals.

So, Swayman really wants to be a Bruin he will sit down with them and they will go 8x8 and it'll be done and forgotten. Swayman wants to act like he's got hurt feelings or he's been "betrayed" or some other bs, then he's a greedy bastard and we have to ship him out of Boston sooner than later. That's just it. The rest is bs.

I hope he signs. I will survive if he doesn't.

Midship

Jan 7, 2016
Ready thy popcorn.

Felger teases Swayman talk next.
yes-sit.gif

• Haha
Reactions: TD Charlie

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
How would you feel if I told you a certain other Bruins goalie who signed an 8 yr deal starting their age 26 season had a career high games played of 45 (39 starts), and 1 more career start (126 vs 125) and the cap hit % they signed for would be $9.6M with this year's salary cap?
The guy who carried them to the cup finals?

Reactions: PlayMakers

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
F&M - essentially no real difference between 7.8 per or 8. Neely got it wrong and rounded up. The value is still more than worth. Agent has always been a pain. Overreacting.
Neely bit of a weasel move but more than fair. Big baby goalie……..

They think with how pissed off the Bruins are, there's no way the difference is only 600k and that the Frank Serv. report is wrong with what Swayman is asking for, probably straight from the agent.

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
With Skinner specifically, i wouldn't want him at all, even at a very low cost.

He's entering the decline in terms of offensive production. He plays zero defense, and when I say that I really mean it. I saw more than one Buffalo game where the puck went into the Sabres own zone and he came back late, then literally stopped at the blue line and just stood there. Didn't help out deep, didn't even take a high zone to cover, just straddled the blue line.

The Sabres are trying to compete this year and are taking a cap hit to to buy him out. Lindy Ruff came back in and basically must have said..yeah, I'd rather pay him not to play.

Brindamour took over in carolina and within a year wanted a young Jeff Skinner out of there. In Buffalo, Ralph Krueger was making him a healthy scratch, Ruff wanted no part of him. He MIGHT have a decently productive scoring year playing with McDavid and Draisatl in Edmonton simply as a function of having SOME offensive talent and playing with them, but at this point in his career he is NOT a player that helps a team like Boston, or most other teams, win in the regular season or playoffs.
I'm not advocating for any particular player, including Jeff Skinner (I knew someone was gonna turn this into a Jeff Skinner conversation, and that was not my intention). I was advocating that having Ullmark and the extra $3mil, could have gotten you an additional player. I used Skinner as an example because he signed for $3mil.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad