Player Discussion Jeremy Swayman: VII- Swayman's agent basically calls Cam a liar

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

How does this saga end?

• Bridge deal

Votes: 44 22.2%
  • Long term deal

Votes: 56 28.3%
  • Trade

Votes: 98 49.5%

• Total voters

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
@Gee Wally

We have numerous deletions and more in here. We know tension and emotions are high.
But you folks must simply stop taking personal shots at each. Stay to topic.

If not we will be left with no choice other than adding thread bans.

BOSTON — Boston Bruins president Cam Neely suggested Monday that the team has made an eight-year offer to unsigned restricted free agent goaltender Jeremy Swayman at $8 million annually.

“I don’t want to get into the weeds with what his ask is,” Neely said at a news conference at TD Garden. “But I know that I have 64 million reasons why I’d be playing right now.”

Neely did not disclose what Swayman’s ask has been but said he was surprised by it.

So far, Swayman is holding firm to his demand. It aligns with his personality of not backing down, especially following his uncomfortable 2023 arbitration hearing. According to Neely, Swayman wants to set a new market for goalies, specifically ones under team control.

“What his ask is and what we believe his comp group is,” Neely said, “are two different things.”

General manager Don Sweeney said he remains in contact with Lewis Gross, Swayman’s agent. The Bruins are not interested in trading Swayman.

“Ultimately, we’re a better team, as I’ve said all along, if Jeremy is part of our hockey club,” Sweeney said. “That’s my intention. That’s my wish. I’ll continue to work to do that. I think Jeremy and the team are both hurt in this regard. That’s what I’ll do. I’ll continue to work hard to find a settling point.”

With only three preseason games left, it is likely Swayman will miss regular-season time, even if an agreement is pending. Coach Jim Montgomery designated Joonas Korpisalo as his goalie for the regular-season opener against the Florida Panthers on Oct. 8, regardless of Swayman’s situation. The Bruins have two full practices remaining in camp.

“Where we are in camp right now, with how well camp has gone and how well Korpisalo has done,” Montgomery said, “right now, he’s going to be our Game 1 starter.”

How good is the offer?​

Swayman would become the fifth-highest-paid goalie in the NHL under the Bruins’ offer, behind Sergei Bobrovsky, Andrei Vasilevskiy, Connor Hellebuyck and Ilya Sorokin. Only Vasilevskiy ($9.5 million average annual value) signed his contract as a pending restricted free agent. The others were due to become unrestricted.

It is a significant payday for Swayman, considering he has never been a regular-season No. 1 goalie.

Last edited:
Reactions: BMC

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Prior to this contract negotiation, what was the last time Sweeney and a player had an issue ?
There is probably one, but I cannot remember it.

There was apparently an offer from the Bruins that the Krug camp accepted but then the agent came back and requested for more. Bruins then pulled the offer entirely off the table and I don't think there was ever a counter. I think that might be where the bad blood between agent and management started. But I don't think it was a player issue, unless it was Krug who requested it and not Gross.

Other than that, I can't think of any. Maybe DeBrusk?

Reactions: Bodit9

Greek_physique

Caron - Legit SNIPER
Jul 9, 2004
Toronto, Ont
When was the last time Boston had a solid win-win trade for a player that wanted to leave and was an RFA?

Allison and Eloranta for Muzz and Stumpel (close 2nd)
Carter for Billy G (this has my vote)

BTO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 20, 2019
The Big Smoke (unfortunately)
It all makes a lot more sense to me if you believe that Swayman was still stuck at $9.5M prior to yesterday. Swayman/Gross moved to $8.5M later yesterday after the Bruins presser (and Gross leaked the info to Seravalli), to immediately counter Neely's $64M figure and make themselves look like they're at a much more reasonable number compared to their previous $9.5M vs the Bruins at $7.8m or $8M.
Yeah that’s possible. Maybe they got offered $7.8 and they were stuck at $9.5. So then Gross is technically correct that 64 was never offered, and then leaked 8.5 to make themselves look less greedy. Again, still too much we don’t know.

Reactions: TD Charlie

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
The Bruins hold the power to guarantee that Swayman makes $0 in the NHL for the next 2 years. With how Swayman and his agent are playing this, I kid of want the Bruins to exercise that power.

I don't think that's true. Another team can send an offer sheet to Swayman - but it would have to be a team prepared to pony up and the Bruins would probably be compensated more than they would on the trade market for him IMO.

Reactions: TD Charlie

bp14

Mar 17, 2022
Oh boy. Wow. There's so much wrong with this post, I don't even know where to start. Pasta didn't take any hometown discount. McAvoy didn't take a hometown discount. So what players are you talking about? Out of the guys you mentioned above, only one guy is left playing and what did taking a discount get him? Certainly not more cups. It allowed Sweeney to overpay bottom of the roster depth guys, but that's about it.

And why is it on the player to take a home town discount? Shouldn't it be on management to you know, manage their cap enough to be able to sign their top players even if they're not willing to take less? If it's a business for Jacobs, why is it always a bad thing when a player views it the same way?
I agree with you entirely.

And I still don’t see why we are looking at this from a player vs. management lens. I don’t begrudge either side here.

Boils down to this to me:

Whomever decided it was safe to move on from Ullmark was dead wrong.

Reactions: JOKER 192 and LSCII

JAD

Old School
Sponsor
Nov 19, 2009
Florida
I'm 63. Been following the Bruins since 1968. How about you? Maybe you're older and apparently wiser but at this advanced age, it's probably a moot point.

By your logic, no player has ever sat out due to a contract dispute because they're ultimately too afraid of losing money. Except that has happened, plenty of times. If you think it's not possible with Swayman... we can just agree to disagree.

I do expect him to get signed in the next few weeks but not because he caves and isn't willing to stick to his guns. It will take a compromise, which the sides will eventually probably find.
We are the same age. And I too have been following the Bruins since 68.
I agree with your statement.
I hope things workout, Swayman signs and everbody's happy.
But one never knows with this younger generation, you just never know.

Reactions: JOKER 192

Scotto74

taking a break
Oct 7, 2005
Kingston, MA
I don't care how bad it gets, I don't trade Swayman right now. If they ever feel things are beyond repair, just shut 'er down and ride Korpisalo/Bussi for the season. Maybe Korps gets hot and they're able to go hog wild at the deadline. Can't see it working out very well, but it's not totally impossible.
agree. when is the last time the Bruins had a bad goalie? Ullmark, Rask, Halak, Khudobin, Thomas, Raycroft (rookie year) we had Thomas the year he was traded after winning rookie of the year.

you have to go back almost 20 years. at what point do you start wondering do the Bruins just always get lucky and turn guys that were not elite into Vezina running goalies or do the Bruins play a system that helps goalies get to that level?

Obviously the goalie has to be good but I don't feel the goalie has to be elite on his own to excel in the Bruins system. I am very curious to see what Ullmarks numbers do without the Bruins system, I am very curious to see what Korpisalo's numbers look like in the Bruins system. Do his numbers and Ullmarks swap places this year due to the team they play on?

If the Swayman saga doesn't get worked out and he is stilling it out, this will be very interesting to watch and will really hurt Sway if Korpisalo's numbers go up and Ullmarks go down.

Reactions: BMC and nORRis8

nORRis8

The NHL, the stupidest League ever.
Sep 16, 2015
RedDeer, Alberta
Good luck getting an 8x8 in 2026 after playing in Europe for 2 years.
yodel-hey-jodel.gif

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
agree. when is the last time the Bruins had a bad goalie? Ullmark, Rask, Halak, Khudobin, Thomas, Raycroft (rookie year) we had Thomas the year he was traded after winning rookie of the year.

you have to go back almost 20 years. at what point do you start wondering do the Bruins just always get lucky and turn guys that were not elite into Vezina running goalies or do the Bruins play a system that helps goalies get to that level?

Obviously the goalie has to be good but I don't feel the goalie has to be elite on his own to excel in the Bruins system. I am very curious to see what Ullmarks numbers do without the Bruins system, I am very curious to see what Korpisalo's numbers look like in the Bruins system. Do his numbers and Ullmarks swap places this year due to the team they play on?

If the Swayman saga doesn't get worked out and he is stilling it out, this will be very interesting to watch and will really hurt Sway if Korpisalo's numbers go up and Ullmarks go down.
Last year, B's were 30th in goals against, but 15th in expected goals against.

Ullmark and Swayman have saved a lot of high danger attempts the last few seasons.

The defense has been leakier lately than in years past.

Scotto74

taking a break
Oct 7, 2005
Kingston, MA
Last year, B's were 30th in goals against, but 15th in expected goals against.

Ullmark and Swayman have saved a lot of high danger attempts the last few seasons.

The defense has been leakier lately than in years past.

fair enough but the question still stands. 20 years is either a very lucky streak or the Bruins are really good at evaluating goalie talent. your remark leans more towards the ability to evaluate goalie talent which means they might actually know what Sways ceiling is as well as Korpisalo's better than any of us armchair gms.

when is the last time a goalie left the bruins system and got better?

Bruins4Lifer

Jun 28, 2006
Regina, SK
Yeah that’s possible. Maybe they got offered $7.8 and they were stuck at $9.5. So then Gross is technically correct that 64 was never offered, and then leaked 8.5 to make themselves look less greedy. Again, still too much we don’t know.
In my opinion, pretty much all of these rumored offer or ask $ figures that have been leaked are true. It's just about piecing together when the offer or ask was made, because both sides and particularly Gross will try and mislead on that important point to make them look more favorable.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007

korpisalo likely puts up decent numbers here. I think he will be serviceable, but I’m obviously concerned about his ability to be the guy long term, or through a playoff run. Stranger things have happened too. The most important thing for me is that he’s actually here and ready to go

I’ve gone back and forth on where i would be comfortable with Swaymans contract. Usually i land somewhere around the low 8s. Anything starting with a 7, Sweeney has probably done ok. Anything 9+ and I get uneasy. To me, 8x8 feels ok. It’s high for a goalie, and Boston assumes some real risk, but with what we’ve seen of Swayman I think he assumes some million dollar risk as well. He’s got every chance to outplay 8mil as he does to shit the bed

Between 8-9 is a massive gray area imo. I almost wish it would be under 8 or over 9, that way I don’t have to convince myself one way or the other any more. Yes that’s great. f*** that’s too much money. Very black n white

Reactions: nORRis8

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022
not if your trying to manage the salary cap to put the best possible Team on the ice and not just the best possible Goalie.
then skimp around the Korpisalo's and Peeke's of the world. They don't seem to mind that much about having Mike Reilly's 1.3 mil on the cap this year. Neither are close to being as important to the success of this team as Swayman. This is what I don't get. He is one of the top three most important players on the team (4 if you count Marchand) and people are acting like he's Jake Debrusk. 9.5-10 mil yeah take some offers but 8.5 or whatever come on.

Scotto74

taking a break
Oct 7, 2005
Kingston, MA
korpisalo likely puts up decent numbers here. I think he will be serviceable, but I’m obviously concerned about his ability to be the guy long term, or through a playoff run. Stranger things have happened too. The most important thing for me is that he’s actually here and ready to go

I’ve gone back and forth on where i would be comfortable with Swaymans contract. Usually i land somewhere around the low 8s. Anything starting with a 7, Sweeney has probably done ok. Anything 9+ and I get uneasy. To me, 8x8 feels ok. It’s high for a goalie, and Boston assumes some real risk, but with what we’ve seen of Swayman I think he assumes some million dollar risk as well. He’s got every chance to outplay 8mil as he does to shit the bed

Between 8-9 is a massive gray area imo. I almost wish it would be under 8 or over 9, that way I don’t have to convince myself one way or the other any more. Yes that’s great. f*** that’s too much money. Very black n white
haha you and I are on the same page there. I like $7-$7.5 anything $8-$9 seems to high for me but i would be able to accept $8. $9-$10 is an easy that's too much money for me based on his resume.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad