Player Discussion Jeremy Swayman: VII- Swayman's agent basically calls Cam a liar

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

How does this saga end?

• Bridge deal

Votes: 45 23.0%
  • Long term deal

Votes: 56 28.6%
  • Trade

Votes: 95 48.5%

• Total voters

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
@Gee Wally

We have numerous deletions and more in here. We know tension and emotions are high.
But you folks must simply stop taking personal shots at each. Stay to topic.

If not we will be left with no choice other than adding thread bans.

BOSTON — Boston Bruins president Cam Neely suggested Monday that the team has made an eight-year offer to unsigned restricted free agent goaltender Jeremy Swayman at $8 million annually.

“I don’t want to get into the weeds with what his ask is,” Neely said at a news conference at TD Garden. “But I know that I have 64 million reasons why I’d be playing right now.”

Neely did not disclose what Swayman’s ask has been but said he was surprised by it.

So far, Swayman is holding firm to his demand. It aligns with his personality of not backing down, especially following his uncomfortable 2023 arbitration hearing. According to Neely, Swayman wants to set a new market for goalies, specifically ones under team control.

“What his ask is and what we believe his comp group is,” Neely said, “are two different things.”

General manager Don Sweeney said he remains in contact with Lewis Gross, Swayman’s agent. The Bruins are not interested in trading Swayman.

“Ultimately, we’re a better team, as I’ve said all along, if Jeremy is part of our hockey club,” Sweeney said. “That’s my intention. That’s my wish. I’ll continue to work to do that. I think Jeremy and the team are both hurt in this regard. That’s what I’ll do. I’ll continue to work hard to find a settling point.”

With only three preseason games left, it is likely Swayman will miss regular-season time, even if an agreement is pending. Coach Jim Montgomery designated Joonas Korpisalo as his goalie for the regular-season opener against the Florida Panthers on Oct. 8, regardless of Swayman’s situation. The Bruins have two full practices remaining in camp.

“Where we are in camp right now, with how well camp has gone and how well Korpisalo has done,” Montgomery said, “right now, he’s going to be our Game 1 starter.”

How good is the offer?​

Swayman would become the fifth-highest-paid goalie in the NHL under the Bruins’ offer, behind Sergei Bobrovsky, Andrei Vasilevskiy, Connor Hellebuyck and Ilya Sorokin. Only Vasilevskiy ($9.5 million average annual value) signed his contract as a pending restricted free agent. The others were due to become unrestricted.

It is a significant payday for Swayman, considering he has never been a regular-season No. 1 goalie.

Last edited:
Reactions: BMC

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
What irks me is he says every time he's interviewed how much he loves his teammates yet the guys that he's referring to all took hometown discounts to keep the team competitive and they have actually won Stanley cups been on Olympic teams All-Star game etc in the league for a long time so they actually deserved more money this kid has won nothing and done basically nothing and he's asking for the moon right away I just don't like that I like players that want to be here that are willing to do things like 63-46-33-37 etc to help the team win
Oh boy. Wow. There's so much wrong with this post, I don't even know where to start. Pasta didn't take any hometown discount. McAvoy didn't take a hometown discount. So what players are you talking about? Out of the guys you mentioned above, only one guy is left playing and what did taking a discount get him? Certainly not more cups. It allowed Sweeney to overpay bottom of the roster depth guys, but that's about it.

And why is it on the player to take a home town discount? Shouldn't it be on management to you know, manage their cap enough to be able to sign their top players even if they're not willing to take less? If it's a business for Jacobs, why is it always a bad thing when a player views it the same way?

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
What I find interesting is that if you listen to podcasts from other markets , they are all pro Swayman.

Listening to Dom's podcast the fan base is almost unanimously pro management.
Many of us are not usually in that corner, this I just cannot justify the way Swayman team has managed these negotiations. I personally don't like the offer Cam suggested 8/8 and if that is signed, I will go back to being anti management.

Reactions: Bridges31

Beyonder

May 20, 2024
Trust me from a guy who's (I expect) seen more years than you.
I'm 63. Been following the Bruins since 1968. How about you? Maybe you're older and apparently wiser but at this advanced age, it's probably a moot point.

By your logic, no player has ever sat out due to a contract dispute because they're ultimately too afraid of losing money. Except that has happened, plenty of times. If you think it's not possible with Swayman... we can just agree to disagree.

I do expect him to get signed in the next few weeks but not because he caves and isn't willing to stick to his guns. It will take a compromise, which the sides will eventually probably find.

Walkenthewalk

Dec 10, 2008
Come on. Why would he? What's he going to do?

Cam, Gross says that this is news to him and that you offered only 62.5M to date.

"Uuh Uuh...... Did not. He's just a big fat smelly liar. I hate him"

Neely (Bruins) have Swayman pegged in the public with an 8x8. Most people will think that's pretty damn fair. Or should Neely tell Pierre that he'll go 8x8.1 now????

Negotiate against themselves, hmmm. It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it pays off for 'em.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy Quaider and Looch
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
There's at least some of this that sounds like speculative bullshit -- or at the very least a massive blind belief in whatever one side says and disbelief in what the other side says.

I've been with you in supporting Swayman in general. However, you are jumping the shark of late.

You really need to chill out.

8x8 is an excellent offer for a guy like Swayman. Real money and security that is appropriate for a guy with his talent, performance to date, and abilities.

If he takes it? All good. If not? Well, you may have to adjust your viewpoint.
excellent post

Reactions: nORRis8

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
The fact that the Gross hasn't just come out and said " if there's a 64 million dollar offer, we accept it " to call Neely's bluff ( if that's what some people think ) leads me to believe that Gross isn't willing to drop their offer down. And that's the real issue here - Bruins have a worthy offer on the table, be it 7.8 or 8 and Swayman's camp want more.
Because negotiating through the media is baaaad business

Reactions: LSCII

BTO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 20, 2019
The Big Smoke (unfortunately)
It could be as simple as the bruins offer was 8/7.8 per and Neely was generalizing. To me running Swayman over like that was stupid if you want him for eight years. If you want to trade him sure 👍
Why? Suppose Boston has gone from $6.2/4 to $7.8/8 and Swayman and Gross haven’t budged one iota from 8.5 and now they’re at a stalemate and the Bruins are frustrated that he’s still not in camp. Maybe they felt that going public was the only way to get it Swayman and Gross to move. Or, you know, not that at all lol.

whatsbruin

Feb 27, 2002
Central, NY
And Krug. The initial animosity seeds sprouted from there from an agent who's use to getting his way and from a team who's way of doing business hasn't changed all that much even though the purse strings are more untied.
Prior to this contract negotiation, what was the last time Sweeney and a player had an issue ?
There is probably one, but I cannot remember it.

Reactions: Ladyfan

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
As much as Im looking forward to this radio call...

The more this bad blood goes back and forth in public, the more Im leaning to changing my expected output to "Trade."

Remaining hopeful. But definitely cautious and not getting my hopes as up as they once were.

Last edited:

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022
Prior to this contract negotiation, what was the last time Sweeney and a player had an issue ?
There is probably one, but I cannot remember it.
I think there is a list of every RFA that missed the start of camp (was half a dozen players maybe?) but nothing like this.

I Hate Philadelphia

Aug 10, 2015
Orlando, Florida
Swayman was a 4th round draft pick, it's not like we gave up a bunch of assets for him. He's also never played close to the workload of a true #1.

Hold firm on the offer. Let him rot until December. Or for the whole year. Hell, even for the year after that too if he wants.

Good luck getting an 8x8 in 2026 after playing in Europe for 2 years.

JAD

Old School
Sponsor
Nov 19, 2009
Florida
Usually in contract negotiations one side makes an offer usually with a stated time for response. The party receiving the offer either accepts the offer as is, or makes changes and submits what is called a counter offer. The counter offer replaces the original offer, the original offer is now null and void. The party receiving the counter is now on the clock and can either accept as is or make changes and counter offer. This can go back and forth several times. Each time there is a counter offer, the counter offer negates the previous offer. The party that made the previous offer is no long bound to uphold and honor the terms of the previous offer because it is now null and void as at result of the counter offer (or specified time for response has elapsed).
Could this be something that happened in the Kurg situation?
This applies primarily to written contacts.
Verbal negotiations and offers are a bit more difficult to enforce and therefore are strongly encouraged to be put in writing. Nothing should be consider an accepted offer until in writing, signed by all parties and signed copies delivered to all parties within the specified time frames of the contract.

Bruins4Lifer

Jun 28, 2006
Regina, SK
It also depends on where each started. If the Bruins did start at 6.2 or 6.5, and Swayman started at 9.5, and now they’re at 7.8 vs 8.5, then there’s no real need for all the acrimony. Just do 8/8 and be done with it.

But if the Bruins started at 6.2 or 6.5, and moved to 7.8, while Swayman won’t budge from 8.5, then that would explain why they’re pissed. Regardless, it’s 8 now so just do it.
It all makes a lot more sense to me if you believe that Swayman was still stuck at $9.5M prior to yesterday. Swayman/Gross moved to $8.5M later yesterday after the Bruins presser (and Gross leaked the info to Seravalli), to immediately counter Neely's $64M figure and make themselves look like they're at a much more reasonable number compared to their previous $9.5M vs the Bruins at $7.8m or $8M.

Reactions: Bodit9 and BTO

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
As much as Im looking forward to this radio call...

The more this bad blood goes back and forth in public, the more Im leaning to changing my expected output "Trade."

Remaining hopeful. But definitely cautious and not getting my hopes as up as they once were.
Yeah, I had been of the mindset that they'll get something done eventually. After Neely's remark yesterday, I now feel like there may be no going back.

Reactions: JCRO

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022
Swayman was a 4th round draft pick, it's not like we gave up a bunch of assets for him. He's also never played close to the workload of a true #1.

Hold firm on the offer. Let him rot until December. Or for the whole year. Hell, even for the year after that too if he wants.

Good luck getting an 8x8 in 2026 after playing in Eurpoe for 2 years.
That's an odd take to have if you're goal is to win a Stanley Cup the next two seasons.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
I don't care how bad it gets, I don't trade Swayman right now. If they ever feel things are beyond repair, just shut 'er down and ride Korpisalo/Bussi for the season. Maybe Korps gets hot and they're able to go hog wild at the deadline. Can't see it working out very well, but it's not totally impossible.

That's an odd take to have if you're goal is to win a Stanley Cup the next two seasons.
I want him on the ice, badly. It's gotta be within reason though

Reactions: YukonCornelius

I Hate Philadelphia

Aug 10, 2015
Orlando, Florida
I don't care how bad it gets, I don't trade Swayman right now. If they ever feel things are beyond repair, just shut 'er down and ride Korpisalo/Bussi for the season. Maybe Korps gets hot and they're able to go hog wild at the deadline. Can't see it working out very well, but it's not totally impossible.

I want him on the ice, badly. It's gotta be within reason though
The Bruins hold the power to guarantee that Swayman makes $0 in the NHL for the next 2 years. With how Swayman and his agent are playing this, I kid of want the Bruins to exercise that power.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad