Player Discussion Jeremy Swayman: VII- Swayman's agent basically calls Cam a liar

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

How does this saga end?

• Bridge deal

Votes: 45 23.0%
  • Long term deal

Votes: 56 28.6%
  • Trade

Votes: 95 48.5%

• Total voters

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
@Gee Wally

We have numerous deletions and more in here. We know tension and emotions are high.
But you folks must simply stop taking personal shots at each. Stay to topic.

If not we will be left with no choice other than adding thread bans.

BOSTON — Boston Bruins president Cam Neely suggested Monday that the team has made an eight-year offer to unsigned restricted free agent goaltender Jeremy Swayman at $8 million annually.

“I don’t want to get into the weeds with what his ask is,” Neely said at a news conference at TD Garden. “But I know that I have 64 million reasons why I’d be playing right now.”

Neely did not disclose what Swayman’s ask has been but said he was surprised by it.

So far, Swayman is holding firm to his demand. It aligns with his personality of not backing down, especially following his uncomfortable 2023 arbitration hearing. According to Neely, Swayman wants to set a new market for goalies, specifically ones under team control.

“What his ask is and what we believe his comp group is,” Neely said, “are two different things.”

General manager Don Sweeney said he remains in contact with Lewis Gross, Swayman’s agent. The Bruins are not interested in trading Swayman.

“Ultimately, we’re a better team, as I’ve said all along, if Jeremy is part of our hockey club,” Sweeney said. “That’s my intention. That’s my wish. I’ll continue to work to do that. I think Jeremy and the team are both hurt in this regard. That’s what I’ll do. I’ll continue to work hard to find a settling point.”

With only three preseason games left, it is likely Swayman will miss regular-season time, even if an agreement is pending. Coach Jim Montgomery designated Joonas Korpisalo as his goalie for the regular-season opener against the Florida Panthers on Oct. 8, regardless of Swayman’s situation. The Bruins have two full practices remaining in camp.

“Where we are in camp right now, with how well camp has gone and how well Korpisalo has done,” Montgomery said, “right now, he’s going to be our Game 1 starter.”

How good is the offer?​

Swayman would become the fifth-highest-paid goalie in the NHL under the Bruins’ offer, behind Sergei Bobrovsky, Andrei Vasilevskiy, Connor Hellebuyck and Ilya Sorokin. Only Vasilevskiy ($9.5 million average annual value) signed his contract as a pending restricted free agent. The others were due to become unrestricted.

It is a significant payday for Swayman, considering he has never been a regular-season No. 1 goalie.

Last edited:
Reactions: BMC

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022
Why should he have to say something again? He already said what he had to say. Gross is taking a few days.
If someone intimated I was lying about something I would address it, well unless I was lying. If he wasn’t he could say he was “misinformed”. Or he could say it’s the truth and stand behind it

• Haha
Reactions: Ladyfan

JAD

Old School
Sponsor
Nov 19, 2009
Florida
If he's worth 9 million there would have been a
Offer sheet for him or a realistic trade-offer
Nobody is going to pay him the bruins could be real stiff about it and pay him the league minimum for the next 2 years and make him sit out if he doesn't sign it he has no leverage
I don't care about the he said, she said debate ... it all posturing.
I have no problem with Swayman asking what ever he wants.
The truth is:
The Bruins have limited cap space.
The Bruins have made very fair - overly fair offers - even if true their opening of 6.4 was very fair market value.
The Bruins are taking all the risk - extreme risk with their cap space for the next 8 years.

I want Swayman to end up being a great goalie ( I am indulging in wishful thinking, which could be a fatal flaw), as the truth is - we just don't know.

The truth is if the Bruins cannot fit Swayman into their budget they will have to move on.

How that plays out? I have no idea.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
That was all well documented that miller hadn’t apologized.

At best it’s pure negligence at worst it’s a lie to save face.

He went on the claim they need to have a better vetting process though. However that would suggest the “new information” wasn’t new and it was out there if they vetted correctly.

New information probably means it's new information to him/them that they did not see before because of the lack of due diligence.

JAD

Old School
Sponsor
Nov 19, 2009
Florida
He will take a couple days to think about it he says. Gross is a savage.
That's fine ... think about, but don't take too long. Or we may hear the offer was pulled because they didn't respond. In real estate that is usually 24 hours. A counter offer is a response that negates the original offer.

Reactions: Scotto74

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
New information probably means it's new information to him/them that they did not see before because of the lack of due diligence.

Ok then it is pure negligence. Which negligence on neelys part could also be a factor in him thinking they offered $64 million.

BTO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 20, 2019
The Big Smoke (unfortunately)
Why wouldn't both sides just agree on 8/64? Sounds like the most logical numbers all along and - if the reports are true - would actually even be the middle ground between what the Bruins are offering and what Swayman is demanding. Seems like this whole case escalated for no reason. None of the two sides are looking good in this.

And why in gods name did Sweeney trade Ullmark without having an extension with Swayman in place?

The relationship can be mended, but maybe we are at a point in which neither side wants to give in to the other.
It also depends on where each started. If the Bruins did start at 6.2 or 6.5, and Swayman started at 9.5, and now they’re at 7.8 vs 8.5, then there’s no real need for all the acrimony. Just do 8/8 and be done with it.

But if the Bruins started at 6.2 or 6.5, and moved to 7.8, while Swayman won’t budge from 8.5, then that would explain why they’re pissed. Regardless, it’s 8 now so just do it.

Reactions: YukonCornelius

bruins cup

Jun 29, 2024
What irks me is he says every time he's interviewed how much he loves his teammates yet the guys that he's referring to all took hometown discounts to keep the team competitive and they have actually won Stanley cups been on Olympic teams All-Star game etc in the league for a long time so they actually deserved more money this kid has won nothing and done basically nothing and he's asking for the moon right away I just don't like that I like players that want to be here that are willing to do things like 63-46-33-37 etc to help the team win

BTO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 20, 2019
The entire hockey world dosen't think Neely was stupid at all, stop making this crap up. I watched TSN Overdrive last night, the #1 show in Canada. These guys are based in Toronto, 2 ex NHL players and the host ( Brian Hayes) is a huge Leafs fan. One of the ex players Jeff O'Reilly completely backed Bruins management, the other ex player leaned more towards Bruins management then Swayman, only the host thought that it was a mistake by Neely to err this publicly. Here in Ottawa I heard similar talk by the local sports guys. I strongly suspect that the " hockey world " you are referring to are people who hate the Bruins and/or are people/players who will never side with management.
Yeah, O’Neil was all over Swayman.

Reactions: SPLBRUIN

RustyBruins72

Jul 29, 2005
basketball-hoosiers.gif

Monte on October 8th

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
That was all well documented that miller hadn’t apologized.

At best it’s pure negligence at worst it’s a lie to save face.

He went on the claim they need to have a better vetting process though. However that would suggest the “new information” wasn’t new and it was out there if they vetted correctly.
Didn't he try to apologize multiple times but the kid's mom was so vindictive that she wouldn't accept it?

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
What irks me is he says every time he's interviewed how much he loves his teammates yet the guys that he's referring to all took hometown discounts to keep the team competitive and they have actually won Stanley cups been on Olympic teams All-Star game etc in the league for a long time so they actually deserved more money this kid has won nothing and done basically nothing and he's asking for the moon right away I just don't like that I like players that want to be here that are willing to do things like 63-46-33-37 etc to help the team win

I know you keep pointing that out. While I like when guys help out the team all the examples you use are guys that cashed in after their rfa years. In most cases many years after.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Yeah a link would’ve been nice:

If the Bruins went from $6.5 to $7.8 and Swayman hasn’t budged from $8.5 then no wonder they’re pissed. All he had to do is go from 8.5 to 8. But maybe Swayman started at 9.5 (maybe the “McAvoy-like deal” just meant 8 years?) Regardless, it’s 8/8 now. Maybe lol.

If all this is true and all these numbers are on 8yr deals, then the Bruins came out of the gate with a lowball offer. And if all this is true, then Swayman was never offered 8x8

BTO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 20, 2019
If the 7.8 per is true. Swaymans camp has every rite to be pissed. I know in the grand scheme of things, the difference isn't much but its still an exaggeration (to make Swayman out to be the bad guy, in public). Also, if I'm Mason Lohrei next year, do you trust the FO to not publicly lie about negotiations?
Thats if the 7.8 story is true.
Why? Cam just upped the offer from $7.8 to 8. If the Bruins started at 6.2/6.5 and moved to 7.8 and now 8, and Swayman hasn’t budged from 8.5 from the word go, then that’s why the Bruins are pissed.

I’d have to think that If Boston moved from 6.2/6.5 to 7.8/8, and in turn Swayman moved from 9.5 to 8.5, then they both would’ve been close enough to get the deal done without all the acrimony.

BTO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 20, 2019
If all this is true and all these numbers are on 8yr deals, then the Bruins came out of the gate with a lowball offer. And if all this is true, then Swayman was never offered 8x8
What did Swayman come out of the gate with? 8.5 or 9.5?

Edit: also, what if the Bruins initially offered 6.2/4? 6.2/4 to 7.8/ is a helluva lot of movement from the Bruins. And if Swayman started at 8.5/8 and hasn’t moved one iota then the Bruins a right to be pissed. However, all we really know is That Cam said 64. We still have no idea of the initial offer/ask not of the history of the negotiations. We’ll find out soon enough tho.

Last edited:

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
On August 1, 2023, the Bruins and Swayman agreed to a one-year, $3.475 million contract in arbitration. After the hearing, Swayman expressed his discontent with the process, saying it was something he "never wants to do again".

Swayman clearly holds a grudge about the team deliberately underrating and lowballing him during last year's proceedings. Now he's determined to get every last penny. Good for him. The Bruins' front office needs to be better.
How is it said in divorce court "sitting irreconcilable differences" time to part ways, it will always be there and just simmer, not a good situation

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
The fact that the Gross hasn't just come out and said " if there's a 64 million dollar offer, we accept it " to call Neely's bluff ( if that's what some people think ) leads me to believe that Gross isn't willing to drop their offer down. And that's the real issue here - Bruins have a worthy offer on the table, be it 7.8 or 8 and Swayman's camp want more.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad