Player Discussion Jeremy Swayman: VII- Swayman's agent basically calls Cam a liar

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

How does this saga end?

• Bridge deal

Votes: 45 23.0%
  • Long term deal

Votes: 56 28.6%
  • Trade

Votes: 95 48.5%

• Total voters

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
@Gee Wally

We have numerous deletions and more in here. We know tension and emotions are high.
But you folks must simply stop taking personal shots at each. Stay to topic.

If not we will be left with no choice other than adding thread bans.

BOSTON — Boston Bruins president Cam Neely suggested Monday that the team has made an eight-year offer to unsigned restricted free agent goaltender Jeremy Swayman at $8 million annually.

“I don’t want to get into the weeds with what his ask is,” Neely said at a news conference at TD Garden. “But I know that I have 64 million reasons why I’d be playing right now.”

Neely did not disclose what Swayman’s ask has been but said he was surprised by it.

So far, Swayman is holding firm to his demand. It aligns with his personality of not backing down, especially following his uncomfortable 2023 arbitration hearing. According to Neely, Swayman wants to set a new market for goalies, specifically ones under team control.

“What his ask is and what we believe his comp group is,” Neely said, “are two different things.”

General manager Don Sweeney said he remains in contact with Lewis Gross, Swayman’s agent. The Bruins are not interested in trading Swayman.

“Ultimately, we’re a better team, as I’ve said all along, if Jeremy is part of our hockey club,” Sweeney said. “That’s my intention. That’s my wish. I’ll continue to work to do that. I think Jeremy and the team are both hurt in this regard. That’s what I’ll do. I’ll continue to work hard to find a settling point.”

With only three preseason games left, it is likely Swayman will miss regular-season time, even if an agreement is pending. Coach Jim Montgomery designated Joonas Korpisalo as his goalie for the regular-season opener against the Florida Panthers on Oct. 8, regardless of Swayman’s situation. The Bruins have two full practices remaining in camp.

“Where we are in camp right now, with how well camp has gone and how well Korpisalo has done,” Montgomery said, “right now, he’s going to be our Game 1 starter.”

How good is the offer?​

Swayman would become the fifth-highest-paid goalie in the NHL under the Bruins’ offer, behind Sergei Bobrovsky, Andrei Vasilevskiy, Connor Hellebuyck and Ilya Sorokin. Only Vasilevskiy ($9.5 million average annual value) signed his contract as a pending restricted free agent. The others were due to become unrestricted.

It is a significant payday for Swayman, considering he has never been a regular-season No. 1 goalie.

Last edited:
Reactions: BMC

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
They lied or misrepresented about Mitchell "apologizing" to the other kid. I don't think we can definititively say it was a lie because there is some wiggle room on that part.

They said that there was "new information" that had come out about the situation (That the bullying was ongoing, longer lasting and that a judge had commented on Miller's continued lack or remorse or responsibility). But that information was a year old and had been published in the Athletic. You can say maybe that info was "new to them", but I find it hard to believe that they spent a year debating the signing (which they said they did) and had no idea of the article.
Got you. I think they misjudged a tremendous amount on that and it was a total swing and miss beginning to end.

However, as you say, maybe not room to "definitively" call Neely a liar. That's a strong word and some here are already saying "he lied once, so he would definitely do it again".

I pay attention to the details on these things because like everyone else here, I never ever ever tell anything but the total unvarnished uncompromised truth no matter how idiotic I look for the things I previously did, assumed, or said.

I wouldn't lie to you on this Dr. Q. I promise.

Really.

And I do mean it. I am like lily white virgin snow.

I promise.
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Weren’t there reports of the family being upset and reporting that Mitchell hadn’t apologized etc? I mean do you know there wasn’t new information? You’re speculating.

Not to suggest the Bruins front office didn’t completely botch that situation, they totally did. But “lying”? That’s a strong accusation and neither of you have presented any evidence. Now we have plenty of past behavior to view that Gross has been sketchy and difficult in the past (Gaudreau/ Nylander)

And Krug. The initial animosity seeds sprouted from there from an agent who's use to getting his way and from a team who's way of doing business hasn't changed all that much even though the purse strings are more untied.

Reactions: Oates2Neely

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022
Also true

I feel like I’m stuck in glass box of emotion
It could be as simple as the bruins offer was 8/7.8 per and Neely was generalizing. To me running Swayman over like that was stupid if you want him for eight years. If you want to trade him sure 👍

• Haha
Reactions: Ladyfan

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Weren’t there reports of the family being upset and reporting that Mitchell hadn’t apologized etc? I mean do you know there wasn’t new information? You’re speculating.

Not to suggest the Bruins front office didn’t completely botch that situation, they totally did. But “lying”? That’s a strong accusation and neither of you have presented any evidence. Now we have plenty of past behavior to view that Gross has been sketchy and difficult in the past (Gaudreau/ Nylander)

That was all well documented that miller hadn’t apologized.

At best it’s pure negligence at worst it’s a lie to save face.

He went on the claim they need to have a better vetting process though. However that would suggest the “new information” wasn’t new and it was out there if they vetted correctly.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
I can't say I had Korpisalo as the Bruins opening day starter on my bingo card.

I feel like I've been walking down the street only to have a Pigeon buzz by and take a shit on my ear.
I had Korpisalo as opening day starter on my bingo card. And it also said that pigeon was going to shit on you. Should have given you a heads up. Sorry.

By the way, that same bingo card says I win the lottery tonight. Happy days!:laugh:

BamBamCam

Apr 12, 2011
Crowsnest Pass AB
Where did you read this? Which contract was that for and which team?
If it was the Flames contract, he couldn't have been too upset since he kept Gross on to handle his UFA contract with CBJ, and by all accounts that contract negotiation went swimmingly.

I'm not doubting you but I do want to read the info about Gaudreau and Gross myself.
Calgary Flames: Where Is Johnny Gaudreau’s Contract?
A Timeline of Johnny Gaudreau's Contract Situation - The Hockey Writers Calgary Flames Latest News, Analysis & More

Elliotte Friedman
October 2, 2016, 1:29 PM
The agent for unsigned Calgary forward Johnny Gaudreau broke his silence on Sunday, indicating his client is not asking for a trade from the Flames.
“No,” Lewis Gross answered, when asked if Gaudreau wants to follow the path of another unsigned free agent, Winnipeg’s Jacob Trouba.

Could we see a point where that changes?
“We have no intention of asking for a trade at this time,” he replied. “He wants to stay in Calgary.”
What Gross did say is he’d like the pace of negotiations to pick up.
“Our last conversation with the Flames was on Sept. 9,” he said. “We were told we’d get a call in two days. It hasn’t happened. Next Friday will be a month.”
Reached by phone, Calgary GM Brad Treliving refused to get into a war of words.
“We’re not going to negotiate this publicly. We’ve said several times that we are optimistic this is going to get done. We want Johnny here.”
In August, Gross told Calgary there would be no contract discussions during the World Cup, as Gaudreau played for Team North America. The tournament concluded last Thursday. Wednesday will be two weeks since Gaudreau’s final game.
The day before the Sept. 9 conversation, The Calgary Sun’s Eric Francis reported Gaudreau asked for a contract “in the $8-million range,” while the Flames wanted him somewhere between Sean Monahan ($6.375-million annual average value) and Mark Giordano ($6.75-million AAV).

Executives and agents not directly involved in this situation believe the biggest complication to getting a deal is that Gaudreau does not have arbitration or offer-sheet eligibility. It is one of the places in the CBA where a team holds a huge hammer over a player, even one as talented as Gaudreau. Teams fight to protect that advantage.
Now we wait to see if this moves the needle in any direction.

Last edited:

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Get real.

"new information" could be Willy O'Ree saying he's livid.

"new information" could be Bruins fans showing decisively that they would NOT support this.

"new information" could have been the League saying we are going to distance ourselves from Mitchell AND you on this, the water is too hot.

"new information" could be that the room is not going to accept this guy and it will screw up a team chemistry that most teams envy.

Saying someone "lied" is a strong accusation. Based on what you laid out above, I'd not call publicly call Neely a liar based on that. Or if you do, pray no one takes you to court. If that happened, YOU are going to be the one paying whatever judgement comes down. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

I would consider that lying.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
24hrs after putting Swayman on blast, Cam has nothing to say
Come on. Why would he? What's he going to do?

Cam, Gross says that this is news to him and that you offered only 62.5M to date.

"Uuh Uuh...... Did not. He's just a big fat smelly liar. I hate him"

Neely (Bruins) have Swayman pegged in the public with an 8x8. Most people will think that's pretty damn fair. Or should Neely tell Pierre that he'll go 8x8.1 now????

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
If Puckpedia is correct they currently sit with 7.8 in space with a full roster. If you waive Bussi to sign Sway that gives you 8.5 max.
But that problem with that is you never want to start at the max. You need at oeast 500k to 700k of wiggle room.
So someone else needs to go and be replaced with another player that leaves at least that much space.

Damned if I know what to do.
You put the numbers down perfectly. I have been saying this all along, someone is going to have to go and is that the way we want to go, I don't, as it is a RW is needed and or a goal scorer. I am ready to take a ride with what they have.

Reactions: YukonCornelius

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
I would consider that lying.
You are going to be disappointed in just about everything in life then.

Boss, are there going to be layoffs?
Politician, can I trust you to follow through on your campaign promises?
Doctor, am I going to live through the surgery?
Realtor, is the traffic on this street busy/noisy during commute times?
Redemption center guy, does all of the plastic I religiously sort and recycle actually get recycled?
Priest, I'm afraid to die. Is there really a heaven?

Shit. I could do this all day. :laugh:

BTO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 20, 2019
The Big Smoke (unfortunately)
I haven’t seen this seravelli report anywhere yet
Yeah a link would’ve been nice:

If the Bruins went from $6.5 to $7.8 and Swayman hasn’t budged from $8.5 then no wonder they’re pissed. All he had to do is go from 8.5 to 8. But maybe Swayman started at 9.5 (maybe the “McAvoy-like deal” just meant 8 years?) Regardless, it’s 8/8 now. Maybe lol.

Reactions: YukonCornelius

Mathews28

Nov 24, 2008
Connecticut
That seems plausible as it sounds very similar to what happened with Nylander who ended up talking directly with Dubas to get that contract at the last minute.
Could be part of the plan. Good cop bad cop. In the end the $ are the $.

I’m of the mind that both parties know exactly what was on the table, that it was about $64m, but $64m figure wasn’t ever expressly stated. More like that was the midpoint of their respective positions and management said meet us near the middle and we have a deal. Feel like it was likely inferred and neither party is “wrong” in terms lying. But neither party is being fully accurate either.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad