Player Discussion Jeremy Swayman: VII- Swayman's agent basically calls Cam a liar

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

How does this saga end?

• Bridge deal

Votes: 45 23.0%
  • Long term deal

Votes: 56 28.6%
  • Trade

Votes: 95 48.5%

• Total voters

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
@Gee Wally

We have numerous deletions and more in here. We know tension and emotions are high.
But you folks must simply stop taking personal shots at each. Stay to topic.

If not we will be left with no choice other than adding thread bans.

BOSTON — Boston Bruins president Cam Neely suggested Monday that the team has made an eight-year offer to unsigned restricted free agent goaltender Jeremy Swayman at $8 million annually.

“I don’t want to get into the weeds with what his ask is,” Neely said at a news conference at TD Garden. “But I know that I have 64 million reasons why I’d be playing right now.”

Neely did not disclose what Swayman’s ask has been but said he was surprised by it.

So far, Swayman is holding firm to his demand. It aligns with his personality of not backing down, especially following his uncomfortable 2023 arbitration hearing. According to Neely, Swayman wants to set a new market for goalies, specifically ones under team control.

“What his ask is and what we believe his comp group is,” Neely said, “are two different things.”

General manager Don Sweeney said he remains in contact with Lewis Gross, Swayman’s agent. The Bruins are not interested in trading Swayman.

“Ultimately, we’re a better team, as I’ve said all along, if Jeremy is part of our hockey club,” Sweeney said. “That’s my intention. That’s my wish. I’ll continue to work to do that. I think Jeremy and the team are both hurt in this regard. That’s what I’ll do. I’ll continue to work hard to find a settling point.”

With only three preseason games left, it is likely Swayman will miss regular-season time, even if an agreement is pending. Coach Jim Montgomery designated Joonas Korpisalo as his goalie for the regular-season opener against the Florida Panthers on Oct. 8, regardless of Swayman’s situation. The Bruins have two full practices remaining in camp.

“Where we are in camp right now, with how well camp has gone and how well Korpisalo has done,” Montgomery said, “right now, he’s going to be our Game 1 starter.”

How good is the offer?​

Swayman would become the fifth-highest-paid goalie in the NHL under the Bruins’ offer, behind Sergei Bobrovsky, Andrei Vasilevskiy, Connor Hellebuyck and Ilya Sorokin. Only Vasilevskiy ($9.5 million average annual value) signed his contract as a pending restricted free agent. The others were due to become unrestricted.

It is a significant payday for Swayman, considering he has never been a regular-season No. 1 goalie.

Last edited:
Reactions: BMC

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
The entire hockey world dosen't think Neely was stupid at all, stop making this crap up. I watched TSN Overdrive last night, the #1 show in Canada. These guys are based in Toronto, 2 ex NHL players and the host ( Brian Hayes) is a huge Leafs fan. One of the ex players Jeff O'Reilly completely backed Bruins management, the other ex player leaned more towards Bruins management then Swayman, only the host thought that it was a mistake by Neely to err this publicly. Here in Ottawa I heard similar talk by the local sports guys. I strongly suspect that the " hockey world " you are referring to are people who hate the Bruins and/or are people/players who will never side with management.

or former goalies and card carrying members of their fraternity, like Weekes.

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022
the entire hockey world does not agree. get over it - swayman has some egg on his face over this, as do the Bruins.
The professionals in the hockey world I stand corrected. Have we heard from Swayman yet? Sweeney set the record straight on the offer? Back up the 64 mil yet?

Reactions: Dr Quincy

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Look this is a nasty negotiation between two parties who are type A and known to let things get a bit heated.

There is just too much nuance and posturing to believe any party's take 100%. I believe that is naive.
Hence why my issue was with statements like Clown Shoes and Amateur Hour.

On the other note (I'm assuming the Mitchell situation) remind me of the "lies" that Neely made that have somehow tarnished him into a guy with a rep that he could "def do it again". And I mean lies -- not interpretations. Honest question by the way. The Mitchell thing was a mess, but I don't recall any "lies". That actual word is strong indeed.
They lied or misrepresented about Mitchell "apologizing" to the other kid. I don't think we can definititively say it was a lie because there is some wiggle room on that part.

They said that there was "new information" that had come out about the situation (That the bullying was ongoing, longer lasting and that a judge had commented on Miller's continued lack or remorse or responsibility). But that information was a year old and had been published in the Athletic. You can say maybe that info was "new to them", but I find it hard to believe that they spent a year debating the signing (which they said they did) and had no idea of the article.

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022
Sure, but there comes a time when someone over asks and or over estimates their worth ... and their ask is simply not in the company's budget and they can replace you with somebody making less. Happens all the time both ways
If the 8.5 is true that doesn’t seem nuts to me

The entire hockey world dosen't think Neely was stupid at all, stop making this crap up. I watched TSN Overdrive last night, the #1 show in Canada. These guys are based in Toronto, 2 ex NHL players and the host ( Brian Hayes) is a huge Leafs fan. One of the ex players Jeff O'Reilly completely backed Bruins management, the other ex player leaned more towards Bruins management then Swayman, only the host thought that it was a mistake by Neely to err this publicly. Here in Ottawa I heard similar talk by the local sports guys. I strongly suspect that the " hockey world " you are referring to are people who hate the Bruins and/or are people/players who will never side with management.
No I should have been more clear. The professionals

Reactions: SPLBRUIN

Midship

Jan 7, 2016
giphy.webp

Reactions: StonedZboril

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I agree, last night I posted that I think Swayman signs for $8.1 or 8.2 mil, this way Swayman saves face. I think he realizes that as upset/stubborn as he may be right now he knows that he won't have to worry about contracts for 8 years. Playing in Boston is a pretty good thing, they are almost always competitive and they play goalie friendly responsible hockey. The alternative is the possibility of being traded to a shit show team, I doubt he wants that, even if he is paid more.

Swayman's been to business school. He knows it's all about maximizing profits. He doesn't mind (at the moment) worrying about contracts.

At 25, just about everyone thinks they know more than they really do.

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022
@Gee Wally

We have numerous deletions and more in here. We know tension and emotions are high.
But you folks must simply stop taking personal shots at each. Stay to topic.

If not we will be left with no choice other than adding thread bans.

BOSTON — Boston Bruins president Cam Neely suggested Monday that the team has made an eight-year offer to unsigned restricted free agent goaltender Jeremy Swayman at $8 million annually.

“I don’t want to get into the weeds with what his ask is,” Neely said at a news conference at TD Garden. “But I know that I have 64 million reasons why I’d be playing right now.”

Neely did not disclose what Swayman’s ask has been but said he was surprised by it.

So far, Swayman is holding firm to his demand. It aligns with his personality of not backing down, especially following his uncomfortable 2023 arbitration hearing. According to Neely, Swayman wants to set a new market for goalies, specifically ones under team control.

“What his ask is and what we believe his comp group is,” Neely said, “are two different things.”

General manager Don Sweeney said he remains in contact with Lewis Gross, Swayman’s agent. The Bruins are not interested in trading Swayman.

“Ultimately, we’re a better team, as I’ve said all along, if Jeremy is part of our hockey club,” Sweeney said. “That’s my intention. That’s my wish. I’ll continue to work to do that. I think Jeremy and the team are both hurt in this regard. That’s what I’ll do. I’ll continue to work hard to find a settling point.”

With only three preseason games left, it is likely Swayman will miss regular-season time, even if an agreement is pending. Coach Jim Montgomery designated Joonas Korpisalo as his goalie for the regular-season opener against the Florida Panthers on Oct. 8, regardless of Swayman’s situation. The Bruins have two full practices remaining in camp.

“Where we are in camp right now, with how well camp has gone and how well Korpisalo has done,” Montgomery said, “right now, he’s going to be our Game 1 starter.”

How good is the offer?​

Swayman would become the fifth-highest-paid goalie in the NHL under the Bruins’ offer, behind Sergei Bobrovsky, Andrei Vasilevskiy, Connor Hellebuyck and Ilya Sorokin. Only Vasilevskiy ($9.5 million average annual value) signed his contract as a pending restricted free agent. The others were due to become unrestricted.

It is a significant payday for Swayman, considering he has never been a regular-season No. 1 goalie.

Sweeney chime in yet to rebuff the Lewis Gross claim that amount was new to them?

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
The professionals in the hockey world I stand corrected. Have we heard from Swayman yet? Sweeney set the record straight on the offer? Back up the 64 mil yet?

There's plenty of professionals in the hockey world that stand with the Bruins as well. Your approach on this seems to be too much as a fan of Swayman rather than that of someone being objective to really see this clearly.

Last edited:

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Team president Cam Neely said in a statement the Bruins thought Miller’s bullying of Isaiah Meyer-Crothers was an isolated incident and reversed course “based on new information.”

“We owe it to our fans, players, staff, partners and community to make sure that our practices and protocols are in keeping with the ethos that we demand from ourselves and as an organization,” Neely said. “As such, we will be reevaluating our internal processes for vetting individuals who wish to earn the privilege of playing in the National Hockey League for the Boston Bruins.”

You mean when Neely said they reversed course based off “new information”. However there was no new information.

It was all very well documented old information. Neely just tried saving face because they were taking a beating in the media.
Get real.

"new information" could be Willy O'Ree saying he's livid.

"new information" could be Bruins fans showing decisively that they would NOT support this.

"new information" could have been the League saying we are going to distance ourselves from Mitchell AND you on this, the water is too hot.

"new information" could be that the room is not going to accept this guy and it will screw up a team chemistry that most teams envy.

Saying someone "lied" is a strong accusation. Based on what you laid out above, I'd not call publicly call Neely a liar based on that. Or if you do, pray no one takes you to court. If that happened, YOU are going to be the one paying whatever judgement comes down. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
Team president Cam Neely said in a statement the Bruins thought Miller’s bullying of Isaiah Meyer-Crothers was an isolated incident and reversed course “based on new information.”

“We owe it to our fans, players, staff, partners and community to make sure that our practices and protocols are in keeping with the ethos that we demand from ourselves and as an organization,” Neely said. “As such, we will be reevaluating our internal processes for vetting individuals who wish to earn the privilege of playing in the National Hockey League for the Boston Bruins.”

You mean when Neely said they reversed course based off “new information”. However there was no new information.

It was all very well documented old information. Neely just tried saving face because they were taking a beating in the media.
Weren’t there reports of the family being upset and reporting that Mitchell hadn’t apologized etc? I mean do you know there wasn’t new information? You’re speculating.

Not to suggest the Bruins front office didn’t completely botch that situation, they totally did. But “lying”? That’s a strong accusation and neither of you have presented any evidence. Now we have plenty of past behavior to view that Gross has been sketchy and difficult in the past (Gaudreau/ Nylander)

Reactions: Ladyfan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad