Player Discussion Jeremy Swayman: VII- Swayman's agent basically calls Cam a liar

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

How does this saga end?

• Bridge deal

Votes: 45 23.2%
  • Long term deal

Votes: 54 27.8%
  • Trade

Votes: 95 49.0%

• Total voters

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
@Gee Wally

We have numerous deletions and more in here. We know tension and emotions are high.
But you folks must simply stop taking personal shots at each. Stay to topic.

If not we will be left with no choice other than adding thread bans.

BOSTON — Boston Bruins president Cam Neely suggested Monday that the team has made an eight-year offer to unsigned restricted free agent goaltender Jeremy Swayman at $8 million annually.

“I don’t want to get into the weeds with what his ask is,” Neely said at a news conference at TD Garden. “But I know that I have 64 million reasons why I’d be playing right now.”

Neely did not disclose what Swayman’s ask has been but said he was surprised by it.

So far, Swayman is holding firm to his demand. It aligns with his personality of not backing down, especially following his uncomfortable 2023 arbitration hearing. According to Neely, Swayman wants to set a new market for goalies, specifically ones under team control.

“What his ask is and what we believe his comp group is,” Neely said, “are two different things.”

General manager Don Sweeney said he remains in contact with Lewis Gross, Swayman’s agent. The Bruins are not interested in trading Swayman.

“Ultimately, we’re a better team, as I’ve said all along, if Jeremy is part of our hockey club,” Sweeney said. “That’s my intention. That’s my wish. I’ll continue to work to do that. I think Jeremy and the team are both hurt in this regard. That’s what I’ll do. I’ll continue to work hard to find a settling point.”

With only three preseason games left, it is likely Swayman will miss regular-season time, even if an agreement is pending. Coach Jim Montgomery designated Joonas Korpisalo as his goalie for the regular-season opener against the Florida Panthers on Oct. 8, regardless of Swayman’s situation. The Bruins have two full practices remaining in camp.

“Where we are in camp right now, with how well camp has gone and how well Korpisalo has done,” Montgomery said, “right now, he’s going to be our Game 1 starter.”

How good is the offer?​

Swayman would become the fifth-highest-paid goalie in the NHL under the Bruins’ offer, behind Sergei Bobrovsky, Andrei Vasilevskiy, Connor Hellebuyck and Ilya Sorokin. Only Vasilevskiy ($9.5 million average annual value) signed his contract as a pending restricted free agent. The others were due to become unrestricted.

It is a significant payday for Swayman, considering he has never been a regular-season No. 1 goalie.

Last edited:
Reactions: BMC

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

When was he a star player?

But it's a good example of why you prioritize guys like Swayman and not guys like Elias Lindholm or Nikita Zadorov.

PAY YOUR STARS! If that means one less middle six forward or one less bottom 4 D-man, so be it.

It's stomach turning really to see this franchise commit 7 years to a 29-year old Lindholm after 2 down seasons but draw a hard line in the sand with a 25-year old Swayman.

Neely wants to talk comps? Where was the comps for journeyman Zadorov and his 6-year, 5 million dollar deal? Reality is, there were none. I guess comps don't matter to skaters, only to goalies.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
I think they are ruthless regardless.
#tuukkasfault

But yeah, it will be ugly real fast.

Its funny you put #TuukkasFault because I was just thinking that goalies seem to be such a lightning rod with Bruins fans. I mean if part of the fan base doesn't hate you are you really a #1 goalie for the Bruins?

Guelph Bruin

Sponsor
Mar 2, 2015
so if 8x$8M guaranteed is on the table then how is Jeremy going to feed his family? ...I'd hold out ...not.....you'd think as soon as that offer was on the table he'd snatch it up or say "damn we're close lets hammer this out ...maybe give me lifetime business courses on top"

Reactions: shelbysdad

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022
so if 8x$8M guaranteed is on the table then how is Jeremy going to feed his family? ...I'd hold out ...not.....you'd think as soon as that offer was on the table he'd snatch it up or say "damn we're close lets hammer this out ...maybe give me lifetime business courses on top"
Maybe he wants a 4 year deal from 25 to 29 then cash in on a deal 29-37?

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
The kings will be in town in a couple of weeks maybe he could be on their plane flying out of Boston, or he could listen to a Dionne Warwick song "do you know the way to San Jose ", but yes Utah would be sweet, and Anaheim still looms out there. Bottom line is his Bruins days are numbered
SJ just traded for Askarov, doubt they'd commit the term to Swayman.

LA doesn't have the cap space. But any team that is trading for Swayman is dealing cap back, and not necessarily in a star or even really good player.

Would probably be a goalie and either middle 6 F + pick/prospect or just a goalie and picks & prospects.

CBJ, ANA and UTA maybe could be landing spots.

Bodit9

Sponsor
Oct 22, 2016
Upstate NY
When was he a star player?

But it's a good example of why you prioritize guys like Swayman and not guys like Elias Lindholm or Nikita Zadorov.

PAY YOUR STARS! If that means one less middle six forward or one less bottom 4 D-man, so be it.

It's stomach turning really to see this franchise commit 7 years to a 29-year old Lindholm after 2 down seasons but draw a hard line in the sand with a 25-year old Swayman.

Neely wants to talk comps? Where was the comps for journeyman Zadorov and his 6-year, 5 million dollar deal? Reality is, there were none. I guess comps don't matter to skaters, only to goalies.
So you want the Bruins to copy the Leafs model? Bizarre....

Reactions: lopey

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Most of the hockey community: "That was pretty dumb on Neely's part"

Bruins fans: "Kick his ass Sea Bass"

If you want to play the " what others are thinking " game, you should take a look at other fan base responses. Most agree with the Bruins. Considering how much the Bruins are despised by the fans of other teams, that says a lot.

Bodit9

Sponsor
Oct 22, 2016
Upstate NY
Hopefully not

Lot of things to look at when he signs

Will he be the upbeat guy
Teammates reception - only he will know (what he wants could cause a player to be moved)
Will fans be on him
And most importantly is he very good

Lots of pressure

Not sure if agent read the room or part of Swayman was a means to an end when it comes to dealing with Donny
I don't think forcing Sweeney to trade players to fit in his salary is a good strategy. If he likes Boston and wants to stay here, he should take the guaranteed $64M. Make money on the side with endorsements. Set for generations.

Reactions: UConn126

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Not someone who generally supports management, but I think have really kept a lid n it until today, Swayman has been pissing and moaning for about a year. I think Neely has had enough.

Ehh I guess that all depends where you think the rumors of swayman signing two weeks ago came from.

Personally I think that’s where the bruins offered the 8x8 and someone in the organization leaked it thinking they had swayman or as a way to start getting the media on their side.

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022
If you want to play the " what others are thinking " game, you should take a look at other fan base responses. Most agree with the Bruins.
Most would love Sway as their goalie too I would imagine. What Neely did was stupid and if you can't see that I'm not sure what to say,

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
So you want the Bruins to copy the Leafs model? Bizarre....

Leafs model doesn't work because they spent it all on forwards.

Imagine if the Leafs had Matthews and Nylander, and then spent the other 20 million on a legit No.1 D-man and a legit star No.1 goaltender.

Seems like what fans around here want is an expansion Vegas or Seattle model, where they have no stars just 18 mediocre skaters making roughly the same amount and 2 average goalies.

When you get star players, you keep them. Something this franchise often takes issue with.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Lewis Gross is the problem here. He is a garbage agent and a greedy idiot. Swayman needs to fire him.

Quite the contrary. He’s an outstanding agent for players and quite often gets them paid almost exactly what they are looking for.

Fanbases only hate him because he’s really good at his job and fans know they aren’t getting a hometown discount when Gross is the agent.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad