Player Discussion Jeremy Swayman: VII- Swayman's agent basically calls Cam a liar

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

How does this saga end?

• Bridge deal

Votes: 44 22.2%
  • Long term deal

Votes: 57 28.8%
  • Trade

Votes: 97 49.0%

• Total voters

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
@Gee Wally

We have numerous deletions and more in here. We know tension and emotions are high.
But you folks must simply stop taking personal shots at each. Stay to topic.

If not we will be left with no choice other than adding thread bans.

BOSTON — Boston Bruins president Cam Neely suggested Monday that the team has made an eight-year offer to unsigned restricted free agent goaltender Jeremy Swayman at $8 million annually.

“I don’t want to get into the weeds with what his ask is,” Neely said at a news conference at TD Garden. “But I know that I have 64 million reasons why I’d be playing right now.”

Neely did not disclose what Swayman’s ask has been but said he was surprised by it.

So far, Swayman is holding firm to his demand. It aligns with his personality of not backing down, especially following his uncomfortable 2023 arbitration hearing. According to Neely, Swayman wants to set a new market for goalies, specifically ones under team control.

“What his ask is and what we believe his comp group is,” Neely said, “are two different things.”

General manager Don Sweeney said he remains in contact with Lewis Gross, Swayman’s agent. The Bruins are not interested in trading Swayman.

“Ultimately, we’re a better team, as I’ve said all along, if Jeremy is part of our hockey club,” Sweeney said. “That’s my intention. That’s my wish. I’ll continue to work to do that. I think Jeremy and the team are both hurt in this regard. That’s what I’ll do. I’ll continue to work hard to find a settling point.”

With only three preseason games left, it is likely Swayman will miss regular-season time, even if an agreement is pending. Coach Jim Montgomery designated Joonas Korpisalo as his goalie for the regular-season opener against the Florida Panthers on Oct. 8, regardless of Swayman’s situation. The Bruins have two full practices remaining in camp.

“Where we are in camp right now, with how well camp has gone and how well Korpisalo has done,” Montgomery said, “right now, he’s going to be our Game 1 starter.”

How good is the offer?​

Swayman would become the fifth-highest-paid goalie in the NHL under the Bruins’ offer, behind Sergei Bobrovsky, Andrei Vasilevskiy, Connor Hellebuyck and Ilya Sorokin. Only Vasilevskiy ($9.5 million average annual value) signed his contract as a pending restricted free agent. The others were due to become unrestricted.

It is a significant payday for Swayman, considering he has never been a regular-season No. 1 goalie.

Last edited:
Reactions: BMC

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Its hilarious its the same band members trying to pretend like Neely made it up.

Explain how him making up an offer makes any sense.

Talk about coming with a pre-conceived notion and then bending reality to fit your opinion. Yikes.

That’s exactly what you’re doing in the other direction lol

Unless you have some inside knowledge there’s no difference

Fingertools

May 29, 2019
Why did Neely only mention the $64M offer? Wasn't it said that multiple offers were made, presumably ones with different terms, conditions and duration? Why didn't he mention the other offers Swayman turned down? They might have both theoretically wanted long term deals but obviously Swayman in that scenario wanted more than $8M.

Swayman then may have been open or even preferred a shorter term so he can cash in when he has more leverage as a player with more of a track record but maybe the Bruins were only interested in a long term deal and shorter ones were lowballed (maybe)?

In any case, since Neely was so open about disclosing the long term deal, I'd be interested in any of the other offers declined. Interesting that Neely only picked that one.

goldenblack

Apr 15, 2024
I’m not saying it is the case, but if your hypothetical is true…

There is a massive difference between an actual written up contract that is ready to sign and a verbal commitment.

Bro. The moment you offer 64M verbally, meetings are scheduled and it gets done. Come on now.

They're acting like 64M was never on the table.

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
1727739175240.png

NGL, I am very surprised by this so far.

Reactions: Mad Dr Pepper

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022
Its hilarious its the same band members trying to pretend like Neely made it up.

Explain how him making up an offer makes any sense.

Talk about coming with a pre-conceived notion and then bending reality to fit your opinion. Yikes.
Maybe it was an offer internally just never conveyed to Swayman's team? Who knows. Maybe Gross is flat out lying. We will see.

He is not lying. Why would he do that? It doesn't make sense.
any chance he and Sweeney talked about making the offer and it never was formally made?

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
Trade him for stuff! I think hes really good and deserves to be paid but too much of a headache for this regime. I believe that the bruins will get adaquate goaltending from their current group and if you can get either a big time prospect or current young player thats good i think its worth doing

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017
Maybe it was an offer internally just never conveyed to Swayman's team? Who knows. Maybe Gross is flat out lying. We will see.

any chance he and Sweeney talked about making the offer and it never was formally made?
Maybe? Does it matter in the scheme of things? If Swayman turned down $64 million talks are off if Im Sweeney. Make him sweat and trade him.

Reactions: Bodit9

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Btw for the "Neely is lying" group, present motive. What's the motive? If you lie there you risk destroying the negotiation forever and losing the goalie. That's the plan?

Gross lying on the other hand, makes total sense if you're holding out for 9-10M, and you see all of Boston lose their minds that 8x8 wasn't enough

If swayman is holding out for 9 or 10 million then this isn’t even a convo because you wouldn’t need to lie you would just say we aren’t interested in that deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad