Player Discussion Jeremy Swayman: VII- Swayman's agent basically calls Cam a liar

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

How does this saga end?

• Bridge deal

Votes: 44 21.8%
  • Long term deal

Votes: 57 28.2%
  • Trade

Votes: 101 50.0%

• Total voters

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
@Gee Wally

We have numerous deletions and more in here. We know tension and emotions are high.
But you folks must simply stop taking personal shots at each. Stay to topic.

If not we will be left with no choice other than adding thread bans.

BOSTON — Boston Bruins president Cam Neely suggested Monday that the team has made an eight-year offer to unsigned restricted free agent goaltender Jeremy Swayman at $8 million annually.

“I don’t want to get into the weeds with what his ask is,” Neely said at a news conference at TD Garden. “But I know that I have 64 million reasons why I’d be playing right now.”

Neely did not disclose what Swayman’s ask has been but said he was surprised by it.

So far, Swayman is holding firm to his demand. It aligns with his personality of not backing down, especially following his uncomfortable 2023 arbitration hearing. According to Neely, Swayman wants to set a new market for goalies, specifically ones under team control.

“What his ask is and what we believe his comp group is,” Neely said, “are two different things.”

General manager Don Sweeney said he remains in contact with Lewis Gross, Swayman’s agent. The Bruins are not interested in trading Swayman.

“Ultimately, we’re a better team, as I’ve said all along, if Jeremy is part of our hockey club,” Sweeney said. “That’s my intention. That’s my wish. I’ll continue to work to do that. I think Jeremy and the team are both hurt in this regard. That’s what I’ll do. I’ll continue to work hard to find a settling point.”

With only three preseason games left, it is likely Swayman will miss regular-season time, even if an agreement is pending. Coach Jim Montgomery designated Joonas Korpisalo as his goalie for the regular-season opener against the Florida Panthers on Oct. 8, regardless of Swayman’s situation. The Bruins have two full practices remaining in camp.

“Where we are in camp right now, with how well camp has gone and how well Korpisalo has done,” Montgomery said, “right now, he’s going to be our Game 1 starter.”

How good is the offer?​

Swayman would become the fifth-highest-paid goalie in the NHL under the Bruins’ offer, behind Sergei Bobrovsky, Andrei Vasilevskiy, Connor Hellebuyck and Ilya Sorokin. Only Vasilevskiy ($9.5 million average annual value) signed his contract as a pending restricted free agent. The others were due to become unrestricted.

It is a significant payday for Swayman, considering he has never been a regular-season No. 1 goalie.

Last edited:
Reactions: BMC

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Sweeney says it's an apples to oranges comparison and completely dismisses it. Just like everyone else on this thread. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Well if that is the case and Sweeney complete ignores being challenged on contracts he himself signed just because those are skaters and not goaltenders, then it probably helps explain why this contract negotiation has gone completely off the rails.

If you (and others) want to live in some fantasy land where business negotiations aren't totally ruthless and certain topics are off-limits in these negotiations, go right ahead. I prefer to live in the real world.

Reactions: KillerMillerTime

HHHH

Feb 15, 2010
I like Swayman a lot and would love to see him signed and play in Boston for the next for 8 seasons.

If the B's offered 8 x 8, I think that is a fair offer and shows that they have faith in Swayman and would not be a deal which would ruin the market for future goalies, especially for those who are still and RFA. The problem is that there are really no clear cut comps for RFA goalies who have a relatively shorter body of work at this point as well so this is particularly complicated.

I am hoping that a deal gets signed soon, because if things are done before the start of the season and #1 doesn't miss any regular season games, there will mostly be the positive feelings towards Swayman that there were at the end of last season.

But, once actual games are missed, I think a lot of the goodwill and support from he fanbase will be compromised and while he has been a fan favorite since his arrival in Boston, there will be segments of the fanbase that will turn on him the first time he has a bad game.

Reactions: Ladyfan and BMC

Bodit9

Sponsor
Oct 22, 2016
Upstate NY
Well if that is the case and Sweeney complete ignores being challenged on contracts he himself signed just because those are skaters and not goaltenders, then it probably helps explain why this contract negotiation has gone completely off the rails.

If you (and others) want to live in some fantasy land where business negotiations aren't totally ruthless and certain topics are off-limits in these negotiations, go right ahead. I prefer to live in the real world.
It's just a bogus argument. No one is buying it

danpantz

Mar 31, 2013
I could see Swayman signing. The statement seems like an attempt to salvage his reputation so he doesn't get boo'ed out of the building.

My thoughts exactly. An east way to save face for Swayman with how pissed the fans got after the offer was leaked.

“Oh of course we’d take that, we just never had that offer on the table”

Although having your agent call the team president a liar is a tough look.

Reactions: Bodit9

YukonCornelius

Apr 13, 2018
It’s not.

Not wanting to ruin the goalie market and wanting to reset the goalie market are two entirely different things
I mean it is, and if Swayman’s looking for $9mm/year+ then he’s 100% trying to set the market (regardless of how you want to interpret his statement).

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
It's just a bogus argument. No one is buying it

Then don't buy it. You or anyone else. I think it's naive and childish to think otherwise but whatever. Business is ruthless. Continue to believe that these negotiations are just two parties drumming up goalie comparables from the present and past if it makes you feel better.

After Gross's statement anyone who can't see by now how this ends, wasn't a Bruins fan back in the late 1990s/early 2000s.

I'm going to take my leave and head back to the real world. Enjoy your fantasy land with your Korpisalo/Bussi tandem.

goldenblack

Apr 15, 2024
Play it out between Neely lying and Gross lying. It makes NO SENSE for Neely to lie.

Because once you put 8x8 into the public eye, it means you'd do it. If you'd do it, you'd offer it. There is literally nothing gained lying there.

Gross is the one lying here. I think he's done inside 1-2 weeks. They saw the fanbase freak and they're in a panic.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad