Player Discussion Jeremy Swayman: VII- Management Speaks

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

How does this saga end?

• Bridge deal

Votes: 27 26.7%
  • Long term deal

Votes: 30 29.7%
  • Trade

Votes: 44 43.6%

• Total voters

Bodit9

Sponsor
Oct 22, 2016
Upstate NY
It really does

Swayman very well could have such animosity towards Bruins over arbitration

He’s so good a team out west would make sense

You shouldn’t work where you are not happy if you have Swayman’s options and skillset

My guess this agent pounded home they F’d you they don’t respect you

I’m not sure we would see the happy upbeat guy even if he signed tomorrow
Dumbass agent poisoned his client.

Caper Bruins fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
Fair to say Neely is not happy, and is more annoyed about this than Sweeney. Cut in on Don when he started to give the usual GM political answer to make his feelings known.

But feelings change quickly in the pro sports world, it's cut and thrust and everyone knows this, and Cam has to know that Sway is still the best and simplest long-term option for the Bruins in net. Drafting high quality goaltenders is even more of a lottery than regular skaters. So if you find real gold, you do all you can to keep it. If the Bruins and Sway can eventually sort this all out, I still think it's more likely than not that Sway stays long-term and Neely has no problem with it. I would perhaps concede though that I'm slightly less confident about that than I was say a month or so ago. But still lots to play out yet as to where this all ends up in the years to come.
Like the rest of us Neely wants playoff success, if Swayman can provide that he will be a Bruin for life .

Reactions: Aussie Bruin

lopey

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2009
Frozen Tundra Northern Ontario
I think 8x8 was offered two weeks ago when the media was going wild he was about to sign. Someone in the organization got a little happy and leaked it.

8x8.5 get it done.

Both sides need to take Brad marchands advice and deal with contract negotiations privately instead of acting like a bunch of babies and talking through the media.

Don’t care who started it or who said something most recently just figure it the hell out because it’s ridiculous.
Nicely put. Just get it ✅

Reactions: UncleRico

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Ok. Just checking since you failed to mention it along with the hardware he didn’t win that year but won shortly after.

Maybe it’s just me but maybe having been in the running for the Vezina in 18 and then winning in 19 with 90% of the vote a month before signing that contract could have something to do with his contract figures?
Plus Vasilevsky is a proven playoff goalie. Swayman won and dominated a series against a leafs team that is historically impotent in the playoffs but outside of that…he’s been fine. Definitely nothing special against Florida and Carolina. So no hardware, 1 playoff series win, 44 games as a career high. You’re just not resetting the market with that resume.

If he doesn’t do 8 x 8 I’d trade him.

Reactions: BMC and Bodit9

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
I would of expected a long term deal initially, but now with everything, I'm thinking bridge for now, then long term after.
I think it is a trade, sit a year or overseas some where........and to be honest, Swayman and his agent has until has until Thursday, take the 8 and 8(and I would not have offered him that) after Thursday it goes to 7 and 8 until opening day, after that it goes to 6 and 8 until December 1st or it goes to my opening OVERSEAS!!

Maybe the answer isn't a bridge deal or a max term deal, but something in between.

5 years, 45 million. 9 million AAV. Brings the AAV up, but the commitment is down.

Swayman gets paid close to the goaltenders he feels he's comparable to right now. Paid in the same stratosphere as McAvoy over that timeframe. 5 years from now he's 30, the cap is 100 million.

If he wants to reset the goalie market then, he can fill his boots, even if it is someplace else.
9 mil , f*** that.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I understand you said internal position players and your example was vasilevskiy yet when he signed that giant contract not a single article was written about how it compared to the position players on his team. Everything was written about how it changed the Goalie market, how his contract comparied to other goalie contracts.

the reason for that was Goalies are compared to other goalies in negotiations. Comps.

that is also the reason Swayman said he could ruin the Goalie market.

I know when he signs his new contract it will be compared to other goalies and help set the market for other goalies. I don't think it will have anything to do with Marchand and Don talking about his next contract.

obviously this is getting no where so I am done.

I don't even see the relevance of these articles in the discussion. If you don't think hockey players (or pro athletes in general) care about what their perceived value to the team is relative to their own teammates (regardless of position) then fine, believe whatever you want. I think it's bizarre that a player negotiating a contract with Don Sweeney can't compare himself to other contracts also signed by Don Sweeney because of the position they play.

Plus Vasilevsky is a proven playoff goalie.
He wasn't when he signed that contract.

Reactions: Pia8988

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
Swayman needs to be real careful here. If they eventually give him what he wants the fans will be ruthless for any bad games or ruts he goes into. Is it fair? No. Will it happen? Absolutely
You are so right on, it is funny I have been thinking the same way, have you ever seen anyone lose his fan base as fast as his guy, just a little over a month ago his supporters were putting him in the Hall of Fame.........

Reactions: BMC

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
I think it is a trade, sit a year or overseas some where........and to be honest, Swayman and his agent has until has until Thursday, take the 8 and 8(and I would not have offered him that) after Thursday it goes to 7 and 8 until opening day, after that it goes to 6 and 8 until December 1st or it goes to my opening OVERSEAS!!

9 mil , f*** that.

I remember when folks thought Jake DeBrusk was asking for 9 million.

Meanwhile it wasn't that at all 🤣

I love Sway, but 9 million? I cannot do that. 8 is more than fair

Reactions: BMC

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Neeley's comments are pure Bruin's bullshit spin designed to win support from fans. They play this type of game too frequently and it's never actually accurate. It's real easy to say that they offered him X amount of money over X number of years. Without seeing the terms, it's really hard to determine if this was a legit offer. Remember, this is the same organization that played semantics games with previous free agents by saying vague shit like they offered to pay a guy more, but he chose to go elsewhere. And then you hear it was a slightly higher AAV over half the term, so the "offer" wasn't really an offer.

Until I hear the terms, I call bullshit in a big way. It's called Bruins. Where winning a PR battle is more important than winning a cup.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I remember when folks thought Jake DeBrusk was asking for 9 million.

Meanwhile it wasn't that at all 🤣

I love Sway, but 9 million? I cannot do that. 8 is more than fair

You do realize that it's just 1.14% more against the salary cap today (8 million vs 9). And a smaller % as time goes on.

I like the good old pre-salary cap days. When we didn't care what our favorite players signed for, as long as they were signed.

Reactions: CDJ and Mione134

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
You do realize that it's just 1.14% more against the salary cap today (8 million vs 9). And a smaller % as time goes on.

I like the good old pre-salary cap days. When we didn't care what our favorite players signed for, as long as they were signed.
I realize. But I don't think Sway is worth 9 million right now.

8x8 is more than fair

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
You are so right on, it is funny I have been thinking the same way, have you ever seen anyone lose his fan base as fast as his guy, just a little over a month ago his supporters were putting him in the Hall of Fame.........
I continue to be a supporter. I wish he had been more quiet on negotiations. I also don't think the Bruins should have gone public.

I will definitely be rooting for the Bruins next year
and beyond. I hope Swayman will continue to play for the Bruins for a long time.

Reactions: SwayHeyKid

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
What other team is going to give Swayman 9 or more?

Utah?
The kings will be in town in a couple of weeks maybe he could be on their plane flying out of Boston, or he could listen to a Dionne Warwick song "do you know the way to San Jose ", but yes Utah would be sweet, and Anaheim still looms out there. Bottom line is his Bruins days are numbered

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017

Sure about that?

1727732838448.jpeg

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
I continue to be a supporter. I wish he had been more quiet on negotiations. I also don't think the Bruins should have gone public.

I will definitely be rooting for the Bruins next year
and beyond. I hope Swayman will continue to play for the Bruins for a long time.
Not someone who generally supports management, but I think have really kept a lid n it until today, Swayman has been pissing and moaning for about a year. I think Neely has had enough.

Reactions: BMC and Bodit9

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I don't even see the relevance of these articles in the discussion. If you don't think hockey players (or pro athletes in general) care about what their perceived value to the team is relative to their own teammates (regardless of position) then fine, believe whatever you want. I think it's bizarre that a player negotiating a contract with Don Sweeney can't compare himself to other contracts also signed by Don Sweeney because of the position they play.

He wasn't when he signed that contract.
He had certainly accomplished more in the playoffs than Swayman had!

Reactions: Bodit9

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby

Back when we had a reason to call Jacobs a cheapskate

Reactions: BruinDust

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
Neeley's comments are pure Bruin's bullshit spin designed to win support from fans. They play this type of game too frequently and it's never actually accurate. It's real easy to say that they offered him X amount of money over X number of years. Without seeing the terms, it's really hard to determine if this was a legit offer. Remember, this is the same organization that played semantics games with previous free agents by saying vague shit like they offered to pay a guy more, but he chose to go elsewhere. And then you hear it was a slightly higher AAV over half the term, so the "offer" wasn't really an offer.

Until I hear the terms, I call bullshit in a big way. It's called Bruins. Where winning a PR battle is more important than winning a cup.
I think your post might come under the bullshit category, but notice I said I think, I did not say it was....

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Dumbass agent poisoned his client.
Hopefully not

Lot of things to look at when he signs

Will he be the upbeat guy
Teammates reception - only he will know (what he wants could cause a player to be moved)
Will fans be on him
And most importantly is he very good

Lots of pressure

Not sure if agent read the room or part of Swayman was a means to an end when it comes to dealing with Donny

• Wow
Reactions: Bodit9

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad