Player Discussion Jeremy Swayman: VII- Management Speaks

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

How does this saga end?

• Bridge deal

Votes: 18 29.5%
  • Long term deal

Votes: 19 31.1%
  • Trade

Votes: 24 39.3%

• Total voters

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
I would of expected a long term deal initially, but now with everything, I'm thinking bridge for now, then long term after.
That walks Sway right out of RFA eligibility which would be noooo good for the Bruins next time around.

Need to lock this up now.

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
I also wouldn’t be surprised if the club says something along the lines that the $8aav only applies at max term and the value on a bridge deal is closer yo$6.5-7m.

Can’t have your cake and eat it too.

A bridge contract should not be $8, no question. That is fair of the Bruins.

8 million for 8 years is more than an honor as a goalie and plenty for generations. He will likely never play over 60 games and cannot demand the same as a skater.

Chevalier du Clavier

Écrivain de ferrage
Jul 20, 2005
Here's the thing though.....Swayman really hasn't said anything about negotiations. If you're referring to his podcast appearance, he didn't divulge anything of detail. It was more about how he was more prepared for negotiations this time.
You've seen the same comments by Swayman that I have. Have you seen any of the people I previously listed discuss their negotiations? Therein lies the difference.

Reactions: Bodit9

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
You've seen the same comments by Swayman that I have. Have you seen any of the people I previously listed discuss their negotiations? Therein lies the difference.

He didn't say anything about the actual negotiations though lol. No numbers thrown out, not comments about what the B's are telling him and his agent. A giant nothing burger

Reactions: Horton Hears A Woo

analyser

Jan 7, 2014
DS trade him as he will not even sign 8 yrs at 8 mil. Very lucrative contract and if he will not budge, move on.

Not the ideal situation but what can you do.

Reactions: Bodit9

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Maybe the answer isn't a bridge deal or a max term deal, but something in between.

5 years, 45 million. 9 million AAV. Brings the AAV up, but the commitment is down.

Swayman gets paid close to the goaltenders he feels he's comparable to right now. Paid in the same stratosphere as McAvoy over that timeframe. 5 years from now he's 30, the cap is 100 million.

If he wants to reset the goalie market then, he can fill his boots, even if it is someplace else.

Aussie Bruin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
I’m going with a bridge. Somewhere 2 to 3 years. Still no more than 8M AAV.
Allows for cool down and each side to show why they think they are nearer to their value.

Yeah fully agree. I don't think Sway has yet proven he's worth any more than 8x8. That's a fair offer in the current circumstances. I believe quite strongly he's going to be a genuine all-star goalie and ultimately worth 9+ p.a., especially with the cap only likely to increase. But he just hasn't done enough to earn that yet, IMO.

So if Sway is sticking to wanting more, and the Bruins are likewise set on their position, a bridge of 2-3 years at good money is probably the best outcome for both parties. Keeps the risk down for the Bruins, and gives Sway a chance to really show what he can do before going for a serious long-term deal. Might mean that Boston risk losing him at that time, but I think they just have to wear that. By the sounds of it, what Jez is seeking right now is just too much to be comfortable with at this point.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Maybe the answer isn't a bridge deal or a max term deal, but something in between.

5 years, 45 million. 9 million AAV. Brings the AAV up, but the commitment is down.

Swayman gets paid close to the goaltenders he feels he's comparable to right now. Paid in the same stratosphere as McAvoy over that timeframe. 5 years from now he's 30, the cap is 100 million.

If he wants to reset the goalie market then, he can fill his boots, even if it is someplace else.
Why would they pay him $1M more and lose 3 years?

Why would they pay him $9M period?

wintersej

Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I’m going with a bridge. Somewhere 2 to 3 years. Still no more than 8M AAV.
Allows for cool down and each side to show why they think they are nearer to their value.

But if its a 2-3 year bridge taking all or all most all RFA years... he can pound f***ing sand when it comes to 8AAV when way more proven guys like Helly ended up with way less even with giving up more UFA years and accounting for the cap going up.

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA

That is the concept with the Matthew's last contract.

However Matthews had leverage and statistics.

$9 for any years is a win only for Swayman. Not the Bruins. Definitely a pass for myself. Insulting in fact if that were Swayman's mindset to win on years and salary.

Reactions: Walkenthewalk

YukonCornelius

Apr 13, 2018

There is no universe Swayman deserves $9mm/year at this stage, especially on a shorter term deal.

Chevalier du Clavier

Écrivain de ferrage
Jul 20, 2005
So what specific comments did he make about negotiations with the Bruins?
Again, they're well-documented. You've referenced them several times in multiple threads. We're going around in circles. Simply put, follow Marchand's advice, don't talk about your contract.

Reactions: Alicat

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad