Player Discussion Jeremy Swayman: VII - As featured in Episode 3 of Amazon's "FACEOFF: Inside the NHL

How does this saga end?

• Bridge deal

Votes: 58 20.8%
  • Long term deal

Votes: 77 27.6%
  • Trade

Votes: 144 51.6%

• Total voters

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
One could make the argument that we're beating a dead horse here.

So be it. Discuss, if you so choose. We'll keep all the Swayman talk contained to this thread.

If you have nothing meaningful to contribute to the conversation, move along.

We will not have this devolve into thread hijacking and flaming of other posters.

@Gee Wally

We have numerous deletions and more in here. We know tension and emotions are high.
But you folks must simply stop taking personal shots at each. Stay to topic.

If not we will be left with no choice other than adding thread bans.

Last edited:

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Tomorrow’s Globe Hockey Notes:

One constant in the developing story line around Jeremy Swayman’s, shall we say, sticky contract talks has been stories of his lingering resentment over his experience in last year’s salary arbitration with the Bruins. It sounds like, at age 24, he was ill prepared for an exercise that amounts to scuba diving in a septic tank. Once the lid is popped, the process stinks to high heaven, and no one should expect to surface without being covered in muck. Greater players in Boston, including Ray Bourque, went through it. The Hall of Fame icon didn’t like it either, but quickly reset, thanks to the advice of his agent, Steve Freyer. When the deal gets gone — I’m still a believer he’ll sign — Swayman would be best to give that summer of ‘23 arbitration process the same head space that he might attach to giving up a bad goal in late February. Yep, we’re Boston, the city that makes an art form out of holding grudges. For all the good that does anybody.

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022
He is using his business acumen.

He knows the Bruins can go as high as $10.2 million for him and a 13th forward, depending on how the Bruins play the roster.
Nice to see someone mention something about Swayman's possible thoughts on this subject without all the name calling. Thank you Dom

Mad-Marcus

Apr 26, 2002
Seacoast, NH

One constant in the developing story line around Jeremy Swayman’s, shall we say, sticky contract talks has been stories of his lingering resentment over his experience in last year’s salary arbitration with the Bruins. It sounds like, at age 24, he was ill prepared for an exercise that amounts to scuba diving in a septic tank. Once the lid is popped, the process stinks to high heaven, and no one should expect to surface without being covered in muck. Greater players in Boston, including Ray Bourque, went through it. The Hall of Fame icon didn’t like it either, but quickly reset, thanks to the advice of his agent, Steve Freyer. When the deal gets gone — I’m still a believer he’ll sign — Swayman would be best to give that summer of ‘23 arbitration process the same head space that he might attach to giving up a bad goal in late February. Yep, we’re Boston, the city that makes an art form out of holding grudges. For all the good that does anybody.

Great take, but if he is still butt hurt of the last arbitration, then he always will be. IMHO he's the type that will never let it go, even if he gets what he wants.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Did you hear sway has a Netflix appearance about arbitration and sings a song I heard jim murray saying. Wonder what his teammates thoughts are who are trying to get ready for the season. Is sway prioritizing his brand over team? Neely is a bull in a chinasshop sure but what's he supposed to say to this

It was an Amazon series......and Pastrnak was in it too

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
How high can the Bruins go? $10.2 million for Swayman and a 13th forward.

Bruins Cap.PNG

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
How high can the Bruins go? $10.2 million for Swayman and a 13th forward.

View attachment 912700
Maybe I am reading this wrong, but don't you have to deduct whatever Johnson gets from the 10.2? So more like they can go 9.4-ish for Swayman and a 13th forward?

And in the bigger picture, if Swayman is thinking like a business person, then he has to realize that the team is not going to go that tight up against the cap so that no deadline space accrues, or there is no room to call up a slightly more expensive forward if, say, Johnson at league minimum doesn't work out.

Reactions: Bruins4Lifer

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
...with no room for the contingencies of a full season.(TDL adds)
Well, that doesn't matter, Swayman gets his selfish package, he will be good with it, I must admit I have turned on a player as fast as I have on this guy, and unfortunately it is brought about more by his attitude.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Bulldog on the ice, Cupcake off the ice.
The rest of the team took the SC camps to 7 games after being down 3-1. Getting pounded every game. I think our definition of toughness are different.

I’d rather bulldogs on the ice and cupcakes off the ice than cupcakes on the ice and bulldogs off the ice

Reactions: KillerMillerTime

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Maybe I am reading this wrong, but don't you have to deduct whatever Johnson gets from the 10.2? So more like they can go 9.4-ish for Swayman and a 13th forward?

And in the bigger picture, if Swayman is thinking like a business person, then he has to realize that the team is not going to go that tight up against the cap so that no deadline space accrues, or there is no room to call up a slightly more expensive forward if, say, Johnson at league minimum doesn't work out.
10.2 for Swayman and a 13th forward. In the example I provided, Johnson is the 13th forward. You can however, put anyone in his place, Tufte, Koepke, Viel all at $775,000

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Well, that doesn't matter, Swayman gets his selfish package, he will be good with it, I must admit I have turned on a player as fast as I have on this guy, and unfortunately it is brought about more by his attitude.

Rather than do that, I think what Dom is pointing out is that Swayman can ask a certain amount and hold out for it and the Bruins can make it happen. That's not the same as Swayman actually asking for that much. Even he in his insistence on getting what he feels he is worth would know that they arent going to go that close to the cap edge.

10.2 for Swayman and a 13th forward. In the example I provided, Johnson is the 13th forward. You can however, put anyone in his place, Tufte, Koepke, Viel all at $775,000
Ahh got it, so that was a combined salary between them. I misunderstood thinking you meant Swayman could get as much as 10.2. Damn coffee should have kicked in by now.

Reactions: DominicT

8thRoundPick

Sep 19, 2007
Sudbury

In Dom's inforgraphic, he has TJ as that 13th forward. My expectation is he'll be under 1M, leaving ~9.2M for $wayman and any wiggle room for injuries.

Off topic, but MY LORD this website is garbage. Constantly locking up my browser, and I keep getting errors regarding some tappx.com API. Here's hoping it's being worked on because this is a horrendous experience. And that's not even getting into toxic trolls who seem to know just enough on how not to get banned around here, even after warnings being pinned.

Reactions: Dr Hook

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
Rather than do that, I think what Dom is pointing out is that Swayman can ask a certain amount and hold out for it and the Bruins can make it happen. That's not the same as Swayman actually asking for that much. Even he in his insistence on getting what he feels he is worth would know that they arent going to go that close to the cap edge.

Ahh got it, so that was a combined salary between them. I misunderstood thinking you meant Swayman could get as much as 10.2. Damn coffee should have kicked in by now.
I would think that you would be right in not that close to the cap edge, but suggest that they can go to 10.2 and still have 13th forward, I know it was not said that they will go that way, but it is put out there and I am, sure their will be someone who will think that is the solution.

Reactions: Dr Hook

Number8

Oct 31, 2007

This sums things up nicely in my book.

Ray Bourque was already an undeniably great defenseman when he was pushed into the arbitration grist mill. He was arguably already a HHOF player when it happened.

Criticizing a player of that caliber and importance to Boston fans (the very nature of arbitration at some point) takes some gonads.

Jeremy Swayman??? He was a kid with potential. Literally not much more.

Ego check time Jeremy. You are losing the room, and fast.

Reactions: Ladyfan

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
Can someone explain to me how signing Swayman later in the season "hurts" the Bruins against the cap?

If he signs for $8m on November 1st, doesn't he just get $8m pro-rated? i.e. $8m minus 3 weeks of his pay. And isn't the cap hit an equal fraction of $8m the first year?

Mad-Marcus

Apr 26, 2002
Seacoast, NH
When was that?
Sir I stand corrected. I was thinking 2023 1st round and it wasn't 3-1. Apologies and contrition.
Still the B's have been beat up by FLA and the Blues in recent years. Their expenditure on the likes of Little Z, Katelic, Jones, Koepke, Toefte, may no show in the regular season, but in the playoffs.....

Wrong thread for this, but you got me and I stand corrected.

Reactions: Dennis Bonvie

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
I wish there was a video of Don Sweeney's face when Neely said $64 million.

I bet it was a WTF moment we've never seen before from Donny.

I don't know how true it is, (big) but, Charlie authorized Sweeney to go to $64 million the day before the press conference.

If there is any truth to that, Neely has to go. Not to mention that it was 100 percent against the CBA.

Neely should leave the running of the team to Sweeney and Gold.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Can someone explain to me how signing Swayman later in the season "hurts" the Bruins against the cap?

If he signs for $8m on November 1st, doesn't he just get $8m pro-rated? i.e. $8m minus 3 weeks of his pay. And isn't the cap hit an equal fraction of $8m the first year?
On a one year deal yes. Anything more it is calculated on the value of the contract

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad