Player Discussion Jeremy Swayman: VII - As featured in Episode 3 of Amazon's "FACEOFF: Inside the NHL

How does this saga end?

• Bridge deal

Votes: 54 20.4%
  • Long term deal

Votes: 73 27.5%
  • Trade

Votes: 138 52.1%

• Total voters

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
One could make the argument that we're beating a dead horse here.

So be it. Discuss, if you so choose. We'll keep all the Swayman talk contained to this thread.

If you have nothing meaningful to contribute to the conversation, move along.

We will not have this devolve into thread hijacking and flaming of other posters.

@Gee Wally

We have numerous deletions and more in here. We know tension and emotions are high.
But you folks must simply stop taking personal shots at each. Stay to topic.

If not we will be left with no choice other than adding thread bans.

Last edited:

LetsGoBruins97

May 17, 2022
Arlington, VA
Why do they need to increase the offer? Again?

I don't think they need to, so "best course of action" is too strong. I think 8x8 or 8x7.8m is more than fair. I would bump it a little bit higher and give a hard deadline to try to get this done, despite my reservations. My justification here is the $250,000-$500,000 increase per year is not going to kill us given the salary cap increases that are expected over the next 5 years. At this point, we are already overpaying him if he signs 8x8, which it sounds like he's not going to do.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
I don't think they need to, so "best course of action" is too strong. I think 8x8 or 8x7.8m is more than fair. I would bump it a little bit higher and give a hard deadline to try to get this done, despite my reservations. My justification here is the $250,000-$500,000 increase per year is not going to kill us given the salary cap increases that are expected over the next 5 years. At this point, we are already overpaying him if he signs 8x8, which it sounds like he's not going to do.
I'm with you here, just get it done, what's an extra 250-500k when it comes to making a core guy happy?

Reactions: Pia8988

Mathews28

Nov 24, 2008
Connecticut
There was no chicken or the egg. There were rumors and leaks from the media all summer. Swayman had his podcast interview whenever “doesn’t want to ruin the market”. More rumors in the media

First thing we heard from either party officially about money was the thin skinned bitch Neely (see how stupid that sounds?) spouting off 64 million. Then a day later Gross responds and leaks out the 62.5 or whatever.

That’s it. That’s the story
got it. You're saying that what you choose to believe is "the story." That's it.

So anyone saying none of us really know, or that Neely's comment (which i found unnecessary) might have been in response to events we're not privy to is off base...because...well...you know the extent of the real story.

Lot of ideas and opinions in here....don't discount them as plausible.

LetsGoBruins97

May 17, 2022
Arlington, VA
I'm with you here, just get it done, what's an extra 250-500k when it comes to making a core guy happy?
It sounds like, based on what Friedman and few others have been reporting over the past week, there's a good chance he won't even take that. It is asinine.

He can make the decision for himself whether he wants to go down as Jeremy "Kyrie Irving" Swayman in the eyes of Boston fans and have to settle for significantly less money somewhere else for a lesser team over his vendetta regarding an arbitration hearing that he initiated in the first place, and $500,000-$1m/year. In addition to leaving $66 million on the table.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022
@SwayHeyKid - i am curious what is you max amount you would give Swayman? Is there one?

you may have said in the 10,000 swayman threads but i can't find it.
Max 9 but I don't think it will take that. He started with McAvoy no way I give him his original ask My ideal contract for him has been 6/50 which is about 8.3. With the way the offers seem to be 8.25-8.5 has to get it done at this point. I am also on record saying the Bruins have tried harder recently to get a deal locked down then Gross has IMO. I have zero interest in a 4 year deal selfishly because I have no interest in giving him 8 years after. 8 years now locks up 25-33 which should be his prime years. My thing with players is I will never begrudge what they feel their worth is or value. It's not my fight. Also if he is at 9 say and firm you do what you need to do as an organization with him. I would cave but I respect their position not too as an 8/66 contract would be a new way to do business with the younger goalies.....the new Hellebuycks, Saros and Oettinger later would no longer have to sign a bridge deal. The better young defensemen and forwards skip that part and I think goalies should too.

This also has alot to do where I feel the team is. I truly believe with Swayman in house they are a legit SC contender. They have added guys and ready to role, I look at this as a new window, like 08-14 and then 15-23...the new core should be Pasta, Mac, Swayman and Carlo leading the way. Flanked with vets like Marchand, Elias, Coyle, Hampus and Zadorov is a perfect mix IMO. Add in guys like Poitras and Lohrei and honestly you're going to be good for a long time, which is why I put so much value on Swayman and what he means. I DO NOT want to be chasing goalies every year like LA or Colorado...

Mathews28

Nov 24, 2008
Connecticut
Maybe they'll go $8.3 x 8.... and maybe he'll take it, cuz "Sway doesn't want it to end."

I'd prefer only 6 years, but that makes no sense to JS.

JAD

Old School
Sponsor
Nov 19, 2009
Florida
How'd the season tracking for him to hit twenty goals go again? I can't recall. And I'll be happy to watch you guys all high five and pat yourselves on the back again when he's getting close, only to fall short. Again. And again.

At the end of the day? Still an overpaid bottom of the roster stiff. :naughty:

Swayman will be a bargain in 2 years to whatever team pays him. That's my prediction for how this one shakes out.
Sure a team could pay him what he wants now IF they have the cap space or are willing to dismantle their team this year. It wouldn't be the following years that are the problem so much.

The Bruins could pay him IF they wanted to be cap strapped and have to dismantle their team This year. The following years they have time to move things around plus kids have another year of experience. Timing is everything.

How would you feel if they moved McAvoy to make the room? They might figure the defense is deep enough to absorb the loss and they might get some cap space and acquire a defensive replacement and winger ce ter in the deal.

And just because I said they could, doesn't mean they should. I know I wouldn't, other then I feel he needs to prove himself over time, it sets a bad precedence for futures negotiations with other players both FAs and UFAs.

4ORRBRUIN

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2005
boston
Sure a team could pay him what he wants now IF they have the cap space or are willing to dismantle their team this year. It wouldn't be the following years that are the problem so much.

The Bruins could pay him IF they wanted to be cap strapped and have to dismantle their team This year. The following years they have time to move things around plus kids have another year of experience. Timing is everything.

How would you feel if they moved McAvoy to make the room? They might figure the defense is deep enough to absorb the loss and they might get some cap space and acquire a defensive replacement and winger ce ter in the deal.

And just because I said they could, doesn't mean they should. I know I wouldn't, other then I feel he needs to prove himself over time, it sets a bad precedence for futures negotiations with other players both FAs and UFAs.
Why would you trade your best all-around player and future captain to fit in an unproven Goalie? Insane to even bring up McAvoy. There's not another guy on the D that is half the player Charlie is.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

Scotto74

taking a break
Oct 7, 2005
Kingston, MA
Max 9 but I don't think it will take that. He started with McAvoy no way I give him his original ask My ideal contract for him has been 6/50 which is about 8.3. With the way the offers seem to be 8.25-8.5 has to get it done at this point. I am also on record saying the Bruins have tried harder recently to get a deal locked down then Gross has IMO. I have zero interest in a 4 year deal selfishly because I have no interest in giving him 8 years after. 8 years now locks up 25-33 which should be his prime years. My thing with players is I will never begrudge what they feel their worth is or value. It's not my fight. Also if he is at 9 say and firm you do what you need to do as an organization with him. I would cave but I respect their position not too as an 8/66 contract would be a new way to do business with the younger goalies.....the new Hellebuycks, Saros and Oettinger later would no longer have to sign a bridge deal. The better young defensemen and forwards skip that part and I think goalies should too.

This also has alot to do where I feel the team is. I truly believe with Swayman in house they are a legit SC contender. They have added guys and ready to role, I look at this as a new window, like 08-14 and then 15-23...the new core should be Pasta, Mac, Swayman and Carlo leading the way. Flanked with vets like Marchand, Elias, Coyle, Hampus and Zadorov is a perfect mix IMO. Add in guys like Poitras and Lohrei and honestly you're going to be good for a long time, which is why I put so much value on Swayman and what he means. I DO NOT want to be chasing goalies every year like LA or Colorado...
This is a great post. the best post i have seen you do so far. love how you lay out your feelings and your max you would pay or move on. as well as why you feel he is worth up to 9 max. while i disagree with that amount and what I would cave up to I can 100% respect your opinion on how you laid it out here. well done.

I honestly had the feeling you were willing to give him a max contract or pretty much whatever he wants no matter what based on your posts.

I am actually looking around and can't find it. what is the max contract amount this year? Anybody know?

JAD

Old School
Sponsor
Nov 19, 2009
Florida
Why would you trade your best all-around player and future captain to fit in an unproven Goalie? Insane to even bring up McAvoy. There's not another guy on the D that is half the player Charlie is.
I was just trying to make a point not advocating any of this

The question was how would you feel not if you should. But your response is correct - insane ... just like paying Swayman such a ridiculous overpayment.

Reactions: 4ORRBRUIN

dugg133

Jan 11, 2023
Maybe, or maybe it's just the nature of most fans who are pretty much in the "What have you done for me lately..." camp. Many fans are looking at this as 1) the player being greedy 2) the player being ungrateful and 3) the player hurting the team.

I think their reaction is more on themselves than it is the agent. That's not a criticism, but just the truth that fans can be fickle and in general love a player one moment and hate him the next. It's not a logical dispassionate existence.
I just think a lot of fans are gonna turn on him when we have to constantly read about how bad his feelings are hurt, and then meanwhile he has a 64mil contract ready and waiting for him. If he didn't want that to happen, him and Gross shouldn't have been negotiating through the media all summer.

Reactions: Bodit9

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Maybe, or maybe it's just the nature of most fans who are pretty much in the "What have you done for me lately..." camp. Many fans are looking at this as 1) the player being greedy 2) the player being ungrateful and 3) the player hurting the team.

I think their reaction is more on themselves than it is the agent. That's not a criticism, but just the truth that fans can be fickle and in general love a player one moment and hate him the next. It's not a logical dispassionate existence.
No doubts fans are never logical, especially on here, but I feel like a lot of the vitriol comes from the fact that we have a guy with a contract offer that most of us couldn't even dream of making in our lifetime, and him and his side seem to be trying to gain sympathy over it....tough to feel bad for the guy right now, even if you believe he should be paid more than they offer.

Like I'll tell you what - if I felt slighted at my job at my performance interview and they then offer to more than double my salary the following year? Wouldn't hear me bring it up again....

You'd think us working stiffs would be team player and not team company, but that's my 2 cents on why it's not that way

Last edited:

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
Not all of them are like that. Elliotte Friedman is probably the most respected journalist when it comes to this stuff, and I don't think he takes himself seriously at all.

Look at his hair.

Pierre LeBrun is good. I don't know if Bob McKenzie is still up and about, he's very good, or was.

The Spitting Chicklets crowd is garbage, IMHO, top to bottom.

Starting with flaming asshole and serial female employee harasser Portnoy, a millionaire who gets his jollies adjudging the quality of pizza joints, the better if he ruins reputations and businesses along the way. That is likely the point.

The idea that anyone would follow this fool in any capacity whatever is hilarious,

Last edited:

4ORRBRUIN

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2005
boston
I was just trying to make a point not advocating any of this

The question was how would you feel not if you should. But your response is correct - insane ... just like paying Swayman such a ridiculous overpayment.
Oh I 1000% agree with you

Scotto74

taking a break
Oct 7, 2005
Kingston, MA
Skaters = Auston Matthews @ $13.25M
Goalies = Carey Price @ $10.0M
thanks. i knew the highest paid players what i am looking for is what is the absolute most i can pay a single player this year. is there a limit? i thought there was a % of the total cap they couldn't go over but i can find anything on it. I believe max term is 8 years but can't find anything at all on if there is a hard cap for a single player.

Reactions: BruinsFanMike82

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA

Swayman and agent are doing it themselves. One week ago I imagine nearly every fan was Team Swayman and wondering what on earth Sweeney is doing.

Reactions: Bodit9

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
thanks. i knew the highest paid players what i am looking for is what is the absolute most i can pay a single player this year. is there a limit? i thought there was a % of the total cap they couldn't go over but i can find anything on it. I believe max term is 8 years but can't find anything at all on if there is a hard cap for a single player.
It’s around $17M

Reactions: Scotto74

LetsGoBruins97

May 17, 2022
Arlington, VA
Not all of them are like that. Elliott Friedman is probably the most respected journalist when it comes to this stuff, and I don't think he takes himself seriously at all.

Look at his hair.

Pierre LeBron is good. I don't know if Bob McKenzie is still up and about, he's very good, or was.

The Spitting Chicklets crowd is garbage, IMHO,

Chiclets is entertaining but their "scoops" should be taken with a grain of salt. They are tapped in with players, but it leads to extremely biased leaks and commentary. Their commentary around Swayman has been completely ridiculous.

Reactions: GordonHowe

BruinsFanMike82

Apr 15, 2009
MA
Yeah, after I posted, I had a thought that you may have been looking for the above.

Reactions: Scotto74

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA

I’ve already covered this straw man argument in this very thread. You don’t get into cap jail overpaying your top of the roster guys like Pasta, McAvoy, or Sway because those are longer term deals that end up saving you money later.

Where you get into cap issues is by taking on shitty contracts via trade like Peeke, or Korpisalo, and by overpaying bottom pairing defensemen like Zadorov.

That’s how you f*** your cap up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad