Player Discussion Jeremy Swayman: VII - As featured in Episode 3 of Amazon's "FACEOFF: Inside the NHL

How does this saga end?

• Bridge deal

Votes: 54 20.4%
  • Long term deal

Votes: 73 27.5%
  • Trade

Votes: 138 52.1%

• Total voters

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
One could make the argument that we're beating a dead horse here.

So be it. Discuss, if you so choose. We'll keep all the Swayman talk contained to this thread.

If you have nothing meaningful to contribute to the conversation, move along.

We will not have this devolve into thread hijacking and flaming of other posters.

@Gee Wally

We have numerous deletions and more in here. We know tension and emotions are high.
But you folks must simply stop taking personal shots at each. Stay to topic.

If not we will be left with no choice other than adding thread bans.

Last edited:

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022
Yes Gross certainly was never never leaking stuff to the legacy media and chiclets thru out the whole process and is just a victim here.
Of course he was. So were the Bruins. I’m talking about leaking 7.8

Your version of this reality is pretty bizarre.
Ok so where am I wrong on that? Only an idiot would publicly humiliate someone he wants to sign for a long long long time.. I’m talking from that point on

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
here is a big issue for me. Gross would not have come out with anything or "leaked" anything if Neely kept his mouth shut. At what point do people here put some blame where it should do? the brass is obviously frustrated with Don yelling at poor Ty and then Neely spouting off. Do you not expect an agent to protect his client after something like that?
They are? Says who?

I personally have no issue with what Neely did. Clearly, they're frustrated with the situation both internally and the noise outside of the negotiations.

Dont like that he supposedly fudge the numbers- which we all believed at the time someone wasnt telling the truth once Gross combated them prior to the Seravalli report. We still dont know the whole story nor will we. But right now we are led to believe Neely was off by 1.6 in his "64 million reasons comment" which for sure was error on his part if so.

What I think we can safely say with certainty now though is 64 mil- whether it was on the table before, during, or after the conference- is on the table on the Bruins side. And it apparently still isnt enough.

As stated above, I still believe this comes down to Sway saying enough is enough (hoping thats what happen) and not a trade or trade request (really hope neither happens but I officially changed my answer to the poll cause it doesnt feel great).

Last edited:

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
FWIW, the guy at Top Shelf Hockey (YouTube) researched that in the past 10-15 years, 90% of players who went to arbitration were gone from the team two years later…
I did this exercise last week from 2013 onwards Player Discussion - Jeremy Swayman -VI President Cam Speaks: Monty, Donny, & Charlie too!

The number is closer to 50% if we look at players that went to arbitration and awarded more than $3M by an arbitrator or by reaching a deal beforehand (this changed in the CBA in recent years). These players ended up playing no more than 2 seasons with the team they signed with.

Reactions: Ned Bouhalassa

Mathews28

Nov 24, 2008
Connecticut
here is a big issue for me. Gross would not have come out with anything or "leaked" anything if Neely kept his mouth shut. At what point do people here put some blame where it should do? the brass is obviously frustrated with Don yelling at poor Ty and then Neely spouting off. Do you not expect an agent to protect his client after something like that?
chicken - egg? Who leaked something to Spittin' Garbage, I mean Chicklets?

Who made comments publicly indicating he became educated this time around (I guess so he wasn't to be taken advantage of by the big bad Front Office...and in doing so pretty much said UMaine business classes and maybe his agent were worthless to date since he had to go figure this sh*t out himself)?

Not saying Mgmt doesn't share some culpability, and I have long thought one of my fav players (#8) was a bit of a managerial baffoon, but this is how things go some time, the blame game is really hard to play when we DO NOT KNOW who said what, who offered what, who demanded what. I can speculate all day long that Ullmark was moved after Swayman pledged allegiance to the B and hinted at his cost, then reversed course when he and Gross thought leverage allowed them to do so. But I don't know for sure just as no one here really does.

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022
They are? Says who?

I personally have no issue with what Neely did. Clearly, they're frustrated with the situation both internally and the noise outside of the negotiations.

Dont like that he supposedly fudge the numbers- which we all believed at the time someone wasnt telling the truth once Gross combated them prior to the Seravalli report. We still dont know the whole story nor will we. But right now we are lead to believe Neely was off by 1.6 in his "64 million reasons comment" which for sure was error on his part if so.

What I think we can safely say with certainty now though is 64 mil- whether it was on the table before, during, or after the conference- is on the table on the Bruins side. And it apparently still isnt enough.

As stated above, I still believe this comes down to Sway saying enough is enough (hoping thats what happen) and not a trade or trade request (really hope neither happens but I officially changed my answer to the poll cause it doesnt feel great).
Right and I said Gross was a drama Queen about it in his response THAT HE ONLY MADE AFTER DIPSHIT said 64 million. He offered it for no reason. Wasn’t even the question. Shows how thinskinned he is, speaking of that term

DavidK

Jun 10, 2021
Swayman seems to have taken the transcript of last years arbitration and glued it to all of the mirrors and his bedroom ceiling so that no matter where he goes, no matter the hour, as soon as he turns on the lights when he gets home or before he goes to bed and turns off the lights he reads all of the hurtful, morale shaking,
vicious nasty comments made by the Bruins and re-dedicates himself to getting his $9 pounds of flesh. His ego will not let him move on, and it's a shame. If he were my son, I would have a loooong talk with him.

If he were my son, I'd be proud that he is holding management accountable for their lies during arbitration. Now, it's not that Swayman is asking for more than he thinks he's worth. He's just determined not to do the Bruins any favours after the nonsense he was put through. More power to him.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Of course he was. So were the Bruins. I’m talking about leaking 7.8

Ok so where am I wrong on that? Only an idiot would publicly humiliate someone he wants to sign for a long long long time.. I’m talking from that point on
The version where the Bruins leaked to Rich Keefe. That’s so over the top hilarious given Keefe’s history. He always throws shit out like he has inside info and is always wrong.

If he were my son, I'd be proud that he is holding management accountable for their lies during arbitration. Now, it's not that Swayman is asking for more than he thinks he's worth. He's just determined not to do the Bruins any favours after the nonsense he was put through. More power to him.
That nonsense he put himself through?

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022
chicken - egg? Who leaked something to Spittin' Garbage, I mean Chicklets?

Who made comments publicly indicating he became educated this time around (I guess so he wasn't to be taken advantage of by the big bad Front Office...and in doing so pretty much said UMaine business classes and maybe his agent were worthless to date since he had to go figure this sh*t out himself)?

Not saying Mgmt doesn't share some culpability, and I have long thought one of my fav players (#8) was a bit of a managerial baffoon, but this is how things go some time, the blame game is really hard to play when we DO NOT KNOW who said what, who offered what, who demanded what. I can speculate all day long that Ullmark was moved after Swayman pledged allegiance to the B and hinted at his cost, then reversed course when he and Gross thought leverage allowed them to do so. But I don't know for sure just as no one here really does.
There was no chicken or the egg. There were rumors and leaks from the media all summer. Swayman had his podcast interview whenever “doesn’t want to ruin the market”. More rumors in the media

First thing we heard from either party officially about money was the thin skinned bitch Neely (see how stupid that sounds?) spouting off 64 million. Then a day later Gross responds and leaks out the 62.5 or whatever.

That’s it. That’s the story

The version where the Bruins leaked to Rich Keefe. That’s so over the top hilarious given Keefe’s history. He always throws shit out like he has inside info and is always wrong.

That nonsense he put himself through?
Ok throw all the rumors and crap out. Which side threw out numbers in a public setting first in front of a shit ton of media?

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
FWIW, the guy at Top Shelf Hockey (YouTube) researched that in the past 10-15 years, 90% of players who went to arbitration were gone from the team two years later…
I watched that myself. I have been saying this for a while, even if he signs, the bitterness will never go away on both sides.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
There was no chicken or the egg. There were rumors and leaks from the media all summer. Swayman had his podcast interview whenever “doesn’t want to ruin the market”. More rumors in the media

First thing we heard from either party officially about money was the thin skinned bitch Neely (see how stupid that sounds?) spouting off 64 million. Then a day later Gross responds and leaks out the 62.5 or whatever.

I mean it's A story for sure

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018

Ok throw all the rumors and crap out. Which side threw out numbers in a public setting first in front of a shit ton of media?
Right. Who leaked contract info to the league’s most high profile media partner, calling the GM incompetent?

Bodit9

Sponsor
Oct 22, 2016
Upstate NY
They are? Says who?

Dont like that he supposedly fudge the numbers- which we all believed at the time someone wasnt telling the truth once Gross combated them prior to the Seravalli report. We still dont know the whole story nor will we. But right now we are led to believe Neely was off by 1.6 in his "64 million reasons comment" which for sure was error on his part if so.

"$62.8 million reasons" doesn't roll off the tongue like $64M

• Haha
Reactions: JCRO and Dizzay

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022
I mean it's A story for sure
The truth I’m sure doesn’t align with your black and gold view so again who mentioned numbers unsolicited in a huge public setting first to embarrass the other

Funny I don’t remember Gross coming out about the laughable 6.5 million dollar offer. Did he blurt it out at a new conference?

Right. Who leaked contract info to the league’s most high profile media partner, calling the GM incompetent?
Zzzzzz. Not the guy who leaked the 10 mil that I know.

Again, who made the actual numbers public because they couldn’t take the heat? The team President or the player agent?

analyser

Jan 7, 2014
I hope he falls flat on his face, he thinks he is worth a very big payday and management thinks otherwise. Somewhow your worth has to top out at a realistic amount.

• Haha
Reactions: Carbonated Puck

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
The truth I’m sure doesn’t align with your black and gold view so again who mentioned numbers unsolicited in a huge public setting first to embarrass the other

Funny I don’t remember Gross coming out about the laughable 6.5 million dollar offer. Did he blurt it out at a new conference?

Zzzzzz. Not the guy who leaked the 10 mil that I know.

Again, who made the actual numbers public because they couldn’t take the heat? The team President or the player agent?
Again, your version is bizarre.

Reactions: Sheppy and Bodit9

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown

Might be time for a step outside and a breath of fresh air - you're in a little deep in the rabbit hole.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Amazing this management can’t take the heat caused by leaks and rumors. GM yelling at a reporter for asking a question and team president releasing a contract offer to the media to save face. What a bunch of bitches
Man it really isn't that deep, both sides used the media to their advantage, I know you're a Sway fan but relax and let it run its course.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
This came up on my Twitter today. I'm not comparing Swayman to Brady, but it's insightful nonetheless. At some point the player just needs to step in and get it done.

And yet Brady signed a media deal worth more than his entire career earnings. Was also married to someone during his career that made more than him.

It's also a personal choice. Cherry picking players taking less and expecting that of them all, just asinine

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad