Player Discussion Jeremy Swayman: VII - As featured in Episode 3 of Amazon's "FACEOFF: Inside the NHL

How does this saga end?

• Bridge deal

Votes: 54 20.7%
  • Long term deal

Votes: 72 27.6%
  • Trade

Votes: 135 51.7%

• Total voters

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
One could make the argument that we're beating a dead horse here.

So be it. Discuss, if you so choose. We'll keep all the Swayman talk contained to this thread.

If you have nothing meaningful to contribute to the conversation, move along.

We will not have this devolve into thread hijacking and flaming of other posters.

@Gee Wally

We have numerous deletions and more in here. We know tension and emotions are high.
But you folks must simply stop taking personal shots at each. Stay to topic.

If not we will be left with no choice other than adding thread bans.

Last edited:

Greek_physique

Caron - Legit SNIPER
Jul 9, 2004
Toronto, Ont
I’ve been saying for many months that if it is long term, Sway will get $9M AAV. The Bruins bungled all this starting with allowing it to get to arbitration last year and yielded far too much leverage to Swayman then and since then (trading ullmark before locking down Swayman etc).

Think back to the run up to arbitration last year. They had a 24 year old goalie they drafted and carefully developed. Intangibles through the roof. Athletic and driven. They knew everything about the guy. Coming off a .920 season with 15GSAA. Yeah, he had only played 100 games or so and hadn’t yet been a sole #1.

Isn’t that the perfect recipe for a 4 year bridge deal? We’ll never know what Swayman would accept, but I bet 4 years $5M AAV gets it done. Other goalies in similar situations have taken a deal like that recently. He hadn’t had the big playoffs yet etc.
IMO, he'll never accept $5mill a year...

Reactions: Gordoff

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
Get this done yesterday. 8.25-8.5 obviously does it. I would have loved the deal a month ago without the the mudslinging, but now one of my most beloved players feels like an outsider. I hate it. I think for me it will subside pretty quickly. He didn't hurt a kitten, puppy or child. He's not a bad guy, just a little out of touch and in my opinion his side is not the only one being a little dumb. So here we go, sign the contract get your gear on and let's see how it feels.

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida
IMO, he'll never accept $5mill a year...
Last year, before arbitration. He hadn’t had the big year last season and playoffs yet. He hadn’t had his feelings hurt at arbitration yet. It is a lot more than he got in arbitration and had term. I bet he would have taken 4 years $5M at that point. Other top goalies recently took a deal like that. He would be 28 or 29 at expiry and ready to really cash in.

BTO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 20, 2019
The Big Smoke (unfortunately)
I’d just leave the 8x8 offer on the table and go about my business. I can’t imagine offering him a penny more.
I’d do $8.25. The most recent leaks are $7.8 and $8.5, but since Neely effectively offered $8, let them meet in the middle (finally!) in order to save face. Sway can effectively say “all” we wanted was 8.5 and we were able to find common ground. Then hire a PR firm and take out full-page adds in the Globe and Herald or something saying it was a difficult negotiation for all parties concerned, for myself, for management and for the fans, but I learned a lot about myself and about the passion of our fans (“our” fans being key) and am fully committed to the Boston Bruins, our fans and to skating the big, shiny Cup around the TD Garden. Or something. Unless he really does still want “low 9s” or “high 8s” then f*** him.

Greek_physique

Caron - Legit SNIPER
Jul 9, 2004
Toronto, Ont
Last year, before arbitration. He hadn’t had the big year last season and playoffs yet. He hadn’t had his feelings hurt at arbitration yet. It is a lot more than he got in arbitration and had term. I bet he would have taken 4 years $5M at that point. Other top goalies recently took a deal like that. He would be 28 or 29 at expiry and ready to really cash in.

Perhaps...but I don't think I would've been comfortable offering that after Ullmark had one of the best regular seasons...ever!

Sure, looking back on it now, probably worth it...but things don't always go according to plan.

Curious what happens in the next 48-72hrs

Reactions: Dennis Bonvie

Midship

Jan 7, 2016
I never liked the goalie hug, and that feeling only intensified after the biggest choke in the history of humanity/team sports in 2023. It became like the calling card of that team's failure to me. I was not the Swayman fan that many on this board are to begin with and after this whole saga he's become possibly my least favorite Bruin since I became a fan ~15 years ago. Get this soft ass baby out of my face today. Please, Donald. Trade his ass.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Besides the arbitration process, what have the Bruins done that Swayman doesn't like? Here's what the Bruins have done for him.

-They only chose a 1 year contract for arbitration instead of 2 getting him to a big contract earlier
-They traded their other quality goalie so they could make him their #1
-They didn't take him to arbitration this year
-They've offered to make him the 5th highest paid goalie (without taking on a full starter workload, winning a Vezina, or advancing far in the playoffs)

Seems like they've treated him very well.

This is why I laugh when people say that the Bruins have "disrespected" him. :eyeroll:

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
I’d do $8.25. The most recent leaks are $7.8 and $8.5, but since Neely effectively offered $8, let them meet in the middle (finally!) in order to save face. Sway can effectively say “all” we wanted was 8.5 and we were able to find common ground. Then hire a PR firm and take out full-page adds in the Globe and Herald or something saying it was a difficult negotiation for all parties concerned, for myself, for management and for the fans, but I learned a lot about myself and about the passion of our fans (“our” fans being key) and am fully committed to the Boston Bruins, our fans and to skating the big, shiny Cup around the TD Garden. Or something. Unless he really does still want “low 9s” or “high 8s” then f*** him.
I think 8 is way too much, but it was put out there so now it is a number, but he is in Boston this weekend, he signs by 6 pm Sunday, or the price goes down, and trade talks increase, and the possibility of sitting out the season becomes more and more realistic. I am like many weary of this whole situation, the season starts for real Tuesday, and it is what we are all have been waiting for and all this bullshit it is taking away from it.

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022
I never liked the goalie hug, and that feeling only intensified after the biggest choke in the history of humanity/team sports in 2023. It became like the calling card of that team's failure to me. I was not the Swayman fan that many on this board are to begin with and after this whole saga he's become possibly my least favorite Bruin since I became a fan ~15 years ago. Get this soft ass baby out of my face today. Please, Donald. Trade his ass.
Not popular at all but I agree with you about the goalie hug.

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
The first one seemed natural and awesome. The way it had to become a more exaggerated caricature moment made for tv. Yeah I came to despise it as well. It was cringey as the cool kids say. 😒

I couldn't agree less with the rest of your post.

BTO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 20, 2019
I think 8 is way too much, but it was put out there so now it is a number, but he is in Boston this weekend, he signs by 6 pm Sunday, or the price goes down, and trade talks increase, and the possibility of sitting out the season becomes more and more realistic. I am like many weary of this whole situation, the season starts for real Tuesday, and it is what we are all have been waiting for and all this bullshit it is taking away from it.
9 is way too much. 8 is fine, imo. And agreed, I just want it to end too lol. If 8.25 makes it go away then all good.

They can also squeeze 8.25 under the Cap, even if they want to pay TJ $1m (but it may be league minimum plus bonuses that will count for next year when there’s more room). But it’s way too close for comfort. But it does work.

They’re currently $7,861,667 under the cap, with 3 goalies, 7 D and 13 F. Take 2 goalies away, add Sway and TJ and we’re good. But 8 would be easier. But I’m not sweating 250k at this point. Also, $8.25 is perfectly fine for next year and for going fwd. but I could also be wrong cap wise. I’m no Dom!

Reactions: Bodit9

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
I think many people here are taking this entirely too personally. Swayman and Gross have what they believe to be a valid ask and haven't had a reason to move off of it. They believe Bruins management is going to cave, and are willing to sacrifice some paychecks under that belief. It's a strategy that's worked for Gross with others, and considering previous players have not fired Gross for these types of negotiations, they clearly don't have a problem with them.

lopey

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2009
Frozen Tundra Northern Ontario
Get this done yesterday. 8.25-8.5 obviously does it. I would have loved the deal a month ago without the the mudslinging, but now one of my most beloved players feels like an outsider. I hate it. I think for me it will subside pretty quickly. He didn't hurt a kitten, puppy or child. He's not a bad guy, just a little out of touch and in my opinion his side is not the only one being a little dumb. So here we go, sign the contract get your gear on and let's see how it feels.
Yeah he is young and sensitive. Both sides need each other. Just get it done

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
...have you ever HAD a view that was in the majority? :laugh:
At first? Nope. By the end, most reasonable folks come around and figure it out eventually. For example, I was calling for Bill Belichick to get fired after he torpedoed their Super Bowl vs the eagles out of spite. Most people disagreed but by last year, it was obvious to even them that he was the issue.

This will be the same. Sway will go on to be a very good to possibly great goalie in this league whether it’s here or elsewhere and Cam/Sweeney will get fired and when that happens people will acknowledge how bad those two clowns are.

And I’m fine waiting for those folks to catch up. :naughty:

Bmessy

Nov 25, 2007
East Boston, MA
I think everyone here would be fine with 8x 8.5. but if the B's offered that right away the Swayman camp doesn't seem to be budging. I think they need to wait till a couple weeks into the season to do it. If they are hard locked on 9.5 that's insanity. Let him rot if that's the case

lopey

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2009
Frozen Tundra Northern Ontario
At first? Nope. By the end, most reasonable folks come around and figure it out eventually. For example, I was calling for Bill Belichick to get fired after he torpedoed their Super Bowl vs the eagles out of spite. Most people disagreed but by last year, it was obvious to even them that he was the issue.

This will be the same. Sway will go on to be a very good to possibly great goalie in this league whether it’s here or elsewhere and Cam/Sweeney will get fired and when that happens people will acknowledge how bad those two clowns are.

And I’m fine waiting for those folks to catch up. :naughty:
Ah the future is known here lol.

• Haha

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Swayman seems to have taken the transcript of last years arbitration and glued it to all of the mirrors and his bedroom ceiling so that no matter where he goes, no matter the hour, as soon as he turns on the lights when he gets home or before he goes to bed and turns off the lights he reads all of the hurtful, morale shaking,
vicious nasty comments made by the Bruins and re-dedicates himself to getting his $9 pounds of flesh. His ego will not let him move on, and it's a shame. If he were my son, I would have a loooong talk with him.

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010
Even though I'm squarely on management's side regarding the Swayman situation I also think it's imperative that the Bruins get him resigned. I still think he reups for somewhere between 8.1-8.2 mil/year. I don't have a lot of faith in Korpisalo to lead the Bruins to the promised land. Fingers crossed thar things get ironed out shortly.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

BTO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 20, 2019
Swayman seems to have taken the transcript of last years arbitration and glued it to all of the mirrors and his bedroom ceiling so that no matter where he goes, no matter the hour, as soon as he turns on the lights when he gets home or before he goes to bed and turns off the lights he reads all of the hurtful, morale shaking,
vicious nasty comments made by the Bruins and re-dedicates himself to getting his $9 pounds of flesh. His ego will not let him move on, and it's a shame. If he were my son, I would have a loooong talk with him.
He should get a comfort animal. Like a bear.

Reactions: BMC

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
I think many people here are taking this entirely too personally. Swayman and Gross have what they believe to be a valid ask and haven't had a reason to move off of it. They believe Bruins management is going to cave, and are willing to sacrifice some paychecks under that belief. It's a strategy that's worked for Gross with others, and considering previous players have not fired Gross for these types of negotiations, they clearly don't have a problem with them.
Nylander is on record saying that his holdout completely detailed his season that year, and wished it was handled differently.

Training camp feels useless to a lot of use, but Swayman is at this point going to be 2 months behind from a conditioning, game.shspe mentality once this gets resolved.

Reactions: Bodit9 and BMC

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
9 is way too much. 8 is fine, imo. And agreed, I just want it to end too lol. If 8.25 makes it go away then all good.

They can also squeeze 8.25 under the Cap, even if they want to pay TJ $1m (but it may be league minimum plus bonuses that will count for next year when there’s more room). But it’s way too close for comfort. But it does work.

They’re currently $7,861,667 under the cap, with 3 goalies, 7 D and 13 F. Take 2 goalies away, add Sway and TJ and we’re good. But 8 would be easier. But I’m not sweating 250k at this point. Also, $8.25 is perfectly fine for next year and for going fwd. but I could also be wrong cap wise. I’m no Dom!
Only if he has no NTC/NMC. Sorry but the Bruins are taking all the risk with a long, huge $$ contract. He needs to take some of the risk knowing that if things turn south for him, the Bruins have some sort of "out" otherwise it's all on the Bruins.

Reactions: Bodit9

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad