Player Discussion Jeremy Swayman: VII- As featured in Episode 3 of Amazon's "FACEOFF: Inside the NHL

How does this saga end?

• Bridge deal

Votes: 53 20.9%
  • Long term deal

Votes: 69 27.3%
  • Trade

Votes: 131 51.8%

• Total voters

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
One could make the argument that we're beating a dead horse here.

So be it. Discuss, if you so choose. We'll keep all the Swayman talk contained to this thread.

If you have nothing meaningful to contribute to the conversation, move along.

We will not have this devolve into thread hijacking and flaming of other posters.

@Gee Wally

We have numerous deletions and more in here. We know tension and emotions are high.
But you folks must simply stop taking personal shots at each. Stay to topic.

If not we will be left with no choice other than adding thread bans.

Last edited:

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
But it's not really coming from a pro Sweeney stance. It's people just looking at the situation and seeing what they think is fair in their minds (right or wrong)
Guys like Buccigross and the nhl network show all being nice but they are ‘it’s a good fair deal and a good team’.

I think we should look at it if it was ‘would we take it’ would we offer it

If take it and I’d offer it

I probably would have wanted 6/50 at 8.3 and be FA at 30/31 but security purposes 8/66 I’d have been the ask …..but 8/64 would have reeled me in ~ I get their cap situation and 8/64 is very good ….good enough for Jack Hughes

Reactions: Bodit9

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Guys like Buccigross and the nhl network show all being nice but they are ‘it’s a good fair deal and a good team’.

I think we should look at it if it was ‘would we take it’ would we offer it

If take it and I’d offer it

I probably would have wanted 6/50 and been a FA at 8.3 and be FA at 30/31 but security purposes 8/66 I’d have been the ask …..but 8/64 would have reeled me in ~ I get their cap situation and 8/64 is very good ….good enough for Jack Hughes
Who’s worth more to their team though - Jack Hughes or Jeremy Swayman?

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
This is what it would look like if Swayman were to lose money from a year 1 $8M salary by signing later in the year and missing days from the start of the NHL season. For example, he would only be paid ~$62.9M in actual money (not $64M) over 8 years if he signed on Oct 30 from your table above.

Is that how you understand it as well?
Depends on how it is written up. There could be a large signing bonus with a low salary to make up the difference.

Reactions: GloveSave1

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Depends on how it is written up. There could be a large signing bonus with a low salary to make up the difference.
Dom - not getting too in the weeds. But if the contract proration goes up, is that in sync with the cap they would accrue (assuming they replace that salary with a minimum so minus that)? I’m hoping you get what I’m asking.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Dom - not getting too in the weeds. But if the contract proration goes up, is that in sync with the cap they would accrue (assuming they replace that salary with a minimum so minus that)? I’m hoping you get what I’m asking.
Wow. That's a good question and I haven't done the math on it. Give me a couple of minutes.

Ozzy Osbourne

Nov 14, 2023
Kastelic would have been over the glass and in the stands at MSG on December 23, 1979 had he been in that game
He sure seems like a great addition. I think there’s only a few of us who like the trade, but it was awesome. Kastelic was born to be a Bruin. Korpse was born to be our number 1 goaltender, apparently. I’m going to find it very east to get on the Korpisalo bandwagon.

Reactions: DKH

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
He sure seems like a great addition. I think there’s only a few of us who like the trade, but it was awesome. Kastelic was born to be a Bruin. Korpse was born to be our number 1 goaltender, apparently. I’m going to find it very east to get on the Korpisalo bandwagon.
Plenty of room on the bandwagon now, compliments of Swayman.

Reactions: Bodit9

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey

So, I know this doesn't exactly answer your question, but if they signed him tomorrow at 8 X 8, they would bank $6,727,802 for trade deadline day.

If they signed him Oct 30 to the same contract, they will only bank $4,806,921

That's assuming Bussi or Patera as a backup until he signs. No difference because it's the same salary for both.

Reactions: smithformeragent

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
So, I know this doesn't exactly answer your question, but if they signed him tomorrow at 8 X 8, they would bank $6,727,802 for trade deadline day.

That's assuming Bussi or Patera as a backup until he signs. No difference because it's the same salary for both.
So more punitive. Interesting. Sorry to get so arcane but always wondered if that was the math they used.

Reactions: DominicT

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Like I’ve pointed out plenty of times here, the cap issues come not from signing your best players to fair market deals, but from extending yourself on overpayments to bottom of the roster players. In this case, Korpisalo, Peeke, and Zadorov jump right to the top of the list.

I’m mean shit, would you rather overpay your starting goalie by a little bit or grossly overpay your bottom pairing dmen and your back up goalie? It’s foolhardy to be arguing over a small amount of money for an impact player when you’re paying your bottom pairing nearly $8 mill a year collectively.

Serious question:

Would you feel better about the Bruins if they traded Korpisalo, Zadorov and Peeke for draft picks and signed Swayman for $10 mil for 8 years? They would have Wotherspoon and perhaps Mitchell on D and Bussi as the backup goalie. And much more cap space.

Bruins4Lifer

Jun 28, 2006
Regina, SK
Right, but in the case where they were to add signing bonus money to "make him whole" to $64M in actual paid money over 8 years, then the cap hit in years 2-8 would be $8M, not less than that. Unless there's deferred salary like the Jarvis contract, the cap hit in years 2-8 will always be (total actual money paid)/8.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
I got Jack Hughes on my SIM team and I run it like it’s real lol….and I would laugh if offered Swayman for Hughes

They aren’t even in the same stratosphere in DKH universe
Fortunately, you are in this universe. You have a lot of company.

Not a GM in the league would take Swayman one for one for Hughes.

(Jeremy, if you are reading, I don’t mean that as a slight. Just reality. Please don’t put me on your list.)

BruinsFTW

Jun 26, 2007
Boston, MA
I really hope Boston and Jeremy get this done...8x8 is more than fair....hell give him 8.5 is max id go

Hilarious someone has a sign behind Korpi tonight in the Kings/Bruins game "Take 64 or go". Classic

Right, but in the case where they were to add signing bonus money to "make him whole" to $64M in actual paid money over 8 years, then the cap hit in years 2-8 would be $8M, not less than that. Unless there's deferred salary like the Jarvis contract, the cap hit in years 2-8 will always be (total actual money paid)/8.

Don't you have to be 35+ to add bonuses like that? I guess signing bonus is different than those bonuses

Last edited:

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH

I’m now more convinced than ever that the B’s front office staged this fake feud to circumvent the salary cap for both this year and future years.

“Yeah, we’ll sacrifice some games in Octobah and Novembah to keep Sway fresh fah the playoffs, plus save some cap space to add a wingah at the deadline.”

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
The actual money paid is not important to most fans, only the cap hit is.

Reactions: GloveSave1

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
IMG_2099.jpeg

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
I’m now more convinced than ever that the B’s front office staged this fake feud to circumvent the salary cap for both this year and future years.

“Yeah, we’ll sacrifice some games in Octobah and Novembah to keep Sway fresh fah the playoffs, plus save some cap space to add a wingah at the deadline.”
Except it's costing more this year by waiting.

I not worried about next year as they have 30 million in cap space minus what Swayman gets.

ranold26

Tuukka likes the post...
May 28, 2003
I think the problem might be that the Bruins and Swayman have different present values of a long contract and how it's structured over time.
If the Bruins think he's a ~6.5m guy now and worth ~11m in eight years(64m total), but Swayman thinks he's worth ~7.5m now and over the term it ramps up to ~12-13m/yr.... then we have a big variance in total value.
The cap is going up to ~92.5m, which is a ~5% increase..... now compound that over eight years and you see what could be a factor in this.

Reactions: Oates2Neely

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad