Player Discussion Jeremy Swayman: VII- As featured in Episode 3 of Amazon's "FACEOFF: Inside the NHL

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

How does this saga end?

• Bridge deal

Votes: 53 21.3%
  • Long term deal

Votes: 67 26.9%
  • Trade

Votes: 129 51.8%

• Total voters

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
One could make the argument that we're beating a dead horse here.

So be it. Discuss, if you so choose. We'll keep all the Swayman talk contained to this thread.

If you have nothing meaningful to contribute to the conversation, move along.

We will not have this devolve into thread hijacking and flaming of other posters.

@Gee Wally

We have numerous deletions and more in here. We know tension and emotions are high.
But you folks must simply stop taking personal shots at each. Stay to topic.

If not we will be left with no choice other than adding thread bans.

Last edited:

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Swayman’s the customer that holds up a till at the supermarket for an hour because the pack of gum he’s trying to buy scanned 5 cents too high. And Neely’s the store owner that yells “just buy it or f*** off” while still wanting him to be a repeat customer.

I'm trying to use sarcasm less in general, so this is a good time for me to put that into practice and be more direct.

I think this is a very bad analogy for lots of reasons. It is not "super perfect" or "totally reasonable" and therefore you did not "totally nail it."

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
I'm trying to use sarcasm less in general, so this is a good time for me to put that into practice and be more direct.

I think this is a very bad analogy for lots of reasons. It is not "super perfect" or "totally reasonable" and therefore you did not "totally nail it."

Why do you hate yourself so to do this to you?

• Haha
Reactions: EverettMike

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
How do you know the arbitration numbers arent less than their original offers?
My thinking was that if the arbitration numbers were less, then Swayman would have accepted the deal they were offering

But now that I think more about it... that makes sense to do as a GM. So now I'm thinking you are right and it's likely that the arbitration numbers were lower, makes more strategic sense. Either Swayman takes your offer and the case isn't heard... or you get halfway between your low arbitration number and Sway's high arbitration number.

You are right

Reactions: BMC and NDiesel

DiggityDog

2 Minutes for Ruffing
Nov 2, 2019
They were offering him crap. Their arbitration numbers were ridiculous and that was better than the contract offered pre-hearing. So he had 2 choices: accept as much as Andrew Peake or go to arbitration.

Now go ahead and make the case the Swayman was less valuable and important to the Bruins last year than Andrew Peake, and do it with a straight face.
Holy hyperbole Batman

I feel like the horse is well past beaten, but again arbitration was not his only option. You almost make it seem like the Bruins held him at gunpoint and made him and his agent do it. It’s silly.

As far as Peake… what? No one thinks he is worth more than Swayman. I don’t think anyone even insinuated it. What does his contract have to do with anything? The Bruins didn’t even sign him to that contract.

Patdud

Sponsor
Mar 23, 2022
New Hampshire
As their only out to not accepting whatever offer was put in front of them. The team had time to reach a number before then, but probably tried to save every dollar for the deadline and Sway wasn't having it.
The bruins had literally $.10 of cap space last year.

nORRis8

The NHL, the stupidest League ever.
Sep 16, 2015
RedDeer, Alberta
Yes ,he is a baby. Your version of being a fing man is a different than mine.

Problem is he wants to get paid "like the fing man" when he hasn't proven he is.
Key word: proven.
He hasn't.

72900d58-47f9-4966-843f-d5ba611cdf1b_text.gif

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Holy hyperbole Batman

I feel like the horse is well past beaten, but again arbitration was not his only option. You almost make it seem like the Bruins held him at gunpoint and made him and his agent do it. It’s silly.

As far as Peake… what? No one thinks he is worth more than Swayman. I don’t think anyone even insinuated it. What does his contract have to do with anything? The Bruins didn’t even sign him to that contract.

Swayman got 3.4m in arbitration. His number was likely in the 4s. The B's was likely in the 2s... which is what Peake makes. So the Bruins thought (for 1year) that Swayman was worth about the same.

That's why one of their comps was Dan Vladar who makes..... in the 2s. That's what it has to do with it.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
The bruins had literally $.10 of cap space last year.
Literally could be 8.8m over the cap during the summer. Many versions of this thread ago I showed how they could have given Sway 4.5m without much trouble at all.

I get why they didn't want to: because they didn't have to.

But it was a choice they made.

I don’t understand what people are arguing about in this thread. Is $64M not a fair deal for a guy that’s never had a number one workload?
Is there a 64m contract on the table?

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Swayman got 3.4m in arbitration. His number was likely in the 4s. The B's was likely in the 2s... which is what Peake makes. So the Bruins thought (for 1year) that Swayman was worth about the same.

That's why one of their comps was Dan Vladar who makes..... in the 2s. That's what it has to do with it.
Or...the Bruins (apparently unlike Swayman and Gross) understand what happens 99% of the time in arbitration where the arbitrator splits the difference almost exactly down the middle. So they constructed their number accordingly.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Swayman’s the customer that holds up a till at the supermarket for an hour because the pack of gum he’s trying to buy scanned 5 cents too high. And Neely’s the store owner that yells “just buy it or f*** off” while still wanting him to be a repeat customer.
The first half at least is very accurate. Neely on the other hand just got frustrated and let something slip he probably shouldn't have said publicly. Otherwise the Bruins have been more than fair in their negotiations.

DiggityDog

2 Minutes for Ruffing
Nov 2, 2019

So a contract signed by another team, at that valuation, is a comp for a goaltender on a completely different team?

Reactions: Bodit9

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
I don’t understand what people are arguing about in this thread. Is $64M not a fair deal for a guy that’s never had a number one workload?

What's fair is basically irrelevant at this point. It's about how people feel about Swayman and the negotiations as a whole, and whether certain arguments used here are in good or bad faith.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
So a contract signed by another team, at that valuation, is a comp for a goaltender on a completely different team?

From what I understand they can't use contract numbers as comparisons in arbitration. They can make statistical comps... with the inference being: this is what his guy is worth.

At the same time, the player uses comps of players on completely different teams that have similar stats but make more money.

yes that's how arbitration works

• Haha
Reactions: DiggityDog

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
22 games is a lot of games in the playoffs, but I think the Bruins should pay him more than any goalie in the league, Because I think you need a good night's sleep, and take Sway kid with you, he has bags under his eyes.

So instead of keeping the discussion focused on the point you're trying to make, you rather just try and insult me?

Reactions: Dr Quincy

DiggityDog

2 Minutes for Ruffing
Nov 2, 2019
From what I understand they can't use contract numbers as comparisons in arbitration. They can make statistical comps... with the inference being: this is what his guy is worth.

At the same time, the player uses comps of players on completely different teams that have similar stats but make more money.

yes that's how arbitration works
Surely they play the same position though

Reactions: Bodit9

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad