Player Discussion Jeremy Swayman: VII- As featured in Episode 3 of Amazon's "FACEOFF: Inside the NHL

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

How does this saga end?

• Bridge deal

Votes: 53 21.4%
  • Long term deal

Votes: 67 27.0%
  • Trade

Votes: 128 51.6%

• Total voters

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
One could make the argument that we're beating a dead horse here.

So be it. Discuss, if you so choose. We'll keep all the Swayman talk contained to this thread.

If you have nothing meaningful to contribute to the conversation, move along.

We will not have this devolve into thread hijacking and flaming of other posters.

@Gee Wally

We have numerous deletions and more in here. We know tension and emotions are high.
But you folks must simply stop taking personal shots at each. Stay to topic.

If not we will be left with no choice other than adding thread bans.

Last edited:

RedSlider

Mar 3, 2016
Holding 2022 Carolina against Swayman is stupid, he went 3-2 & gave them a chance to win which is all you can ask for.

2023 Florida I get, he was ice cold heading into it which puts into context his numbers but he was still overall ass in that game. The whole team was bad really, David Krejci was the only reason the Bruins were even in position to win that game.

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Waiting for some of this anger to be placed on the GM who thought it was a good idea to trade Ullmark before any of this was figured out. Thankfully our prospect pool will now rise from 29 to 28 in Pronman's annual rankings at least. Like seriously when do people say "WTF was he thinking"? I'm assuming never.

So where do you think we would be today if he didn't trade Ullmark?

Do you suddenly think Sway would have taken less cash because Ullmark was still here? Instead we'd have gotten into September likely looking to deal Sway because they couldn't keep both and Ullmark wouldn't have gone anywhere

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Huge baby. He’s literally spouting off to the media wearing a binky at this point. Grow a pair kid. It was arbitration. A year later he’s still sour about and still making it public. Absolutely f****** soft
What's the point of personalizing the arb hearing with the we don't trust you enough yet crap?

You mean to tell me they couldn't have just kept the arb hearing to comps without the side swipe?

Seems so stupid to low ball him, denigrate him and then low ball him again after he
was by far the reason you advanced a round in the PO. Just so ####ing stupid.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
Leaking to the media is a tried-and-true negotiating tactic long employed by both management and agents. I don't love it, but I get it. It puts pressure on the other side and it can actually be productive if it gets things moving. Diamonds/pressure/etc.

The reason teams and players do it that way, though, is so there's plausible deniability. "Reports" are not declarative statements. It gives both sides the chance to deny, ignore, or brush off.

What Neely did was not that. It was done out of anger and frustration because he didn't like the PR they were getting. It was done to make Swayman look bad and it worked. It f***ing worked, much to the huge detriment of the entire organization (for many years to come I fear).

Imagine Cam having to put up with the negotiation posturing that happens in the NBA or NFL. Guy would end up being committed since he can't handle this.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
Friendly reminder Swayman and his representation elected for Arbitration.

While I can certainly understand the criticism being hard to hear, it 100% did not have to go that way.

As their only out to not accepting whatever offer was put in front of them. The team had time to reach a number before then, but probably tried to save every dollar for the deadline and Sway wasn't having it.

Reactions: Dr Quincy

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
What's the point of personalizing the arb hearing with the we don't trust you enough yet crap?

You mean to tell me they couldn't have just kept the arb hearing to comps without the side swipe?

Seems so stupid to low ball him, denigrate him and then low ball him again after he
was by far the reason you advanced a round in the PO. Just so ####ing stupid.
Idk maybe they were being blunt in saying they didn’t trust him enough yet to be the starter??? Those are Swayman’s words nobody here knows what was said. And after witnessing how sensitive this kid is I totally could believe that he over exaggerated some of the criticisms.

8x8 doesn’t seem like a lowball to me.

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
People seem to be missing the opportunity cost side of this. No one's going to feel bad for Swayman making $8M instead of $9M, but if you and your advisors believe you're worth $X and your employer is only offering 80-90% of that, you're going to be annoyed no matter what the actual dollars are.

Reactions: HustleB

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
People seem to be missing the opportunity cost side of this. No one's going to feel bad for Swayman making $8M instead of $9M, but if you and your advisors believe you're worth $X and your employer is only offering 80-90% of that, you're going to be annoyed no matter what the actual dollars are.

This only happens to delusional kids who haven't earned their place in the world. The 'Me generation' hard at work!

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Well I guess instead of overpaying Swayman, they take some of that money and get some offense.

Or maybe those guy they pay to produce could.....you know produce. Weird how no one is upset that we're paying Pastrnak $11.2 million and he popped 1 goal vs Florida. We pay McAvoy $9.5 million and he managed 1G vs FLA. Marchand's getting $6.1 million and popped 0 goals. So between our 3 highest paid players last season, they contributed all of 2 goals again FLA.

Reactions: PepeBostones

DiggityDog

2 Minutes for Ruffing
Nov 2, 2019
As their only out to not accepting whatever offer was put in front of them. The team had time to reach a number before then, but probably tried to save every dollar for the deadline and Sway wasn't having it.
Or they could’ve just kept negotiating without arbitration. It isn’t mandatory. The decision to do so was his and his representation.

His agent could’ve said “hey we can do this, but you’re going to hear some stuff that is really difficult. This is a really tough process for everyone involved”, instead they went full steam ahead and now he can’t get over it.

I genuinely don’t understand why you can’t see that.

Reactions: BMC and Bodit9

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
Based on Swayman's comments ...
What happens should management give him everything he wants now? What becomes of that emotional fire that drove him to prove his distractors wrong? Will he be able to sustain his high level of play without the hatred to motivate him? Or will he become complacent without an external force to motivate him, feeling he has accomished what he set out to do? What will be his new driving focre?

Be weary of heaping to much reward success upon a young athlete too soon. I would rather he stay slightly pissed feeling he still has something to prove. If management has to play the bad guys by not giving in to his full demands, then so be it, as long as it drives him to be the best that he can be. It's called dangling the carrot in front of the horse.
This thread is making me wary. :sarcasm:

I have seen this much drama since the days of Carl "Art Ross" Soderberg.

Reactions: JAD

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
Or they could’ve just kept negotiating without arbitration. It isn’t mandatory. The decision to do so was his and his representation.

His agent could’ve said “hey we can do this, but you’re going to hear some stuff that is really difficult. This is a really tough process for everyone involved”, instead they went full steam ahead and now he can’t get over it.

I genuinely don’t understand why you can’t see that.

This is the result of not going to arbitration. They could have met beforehand, and there is blame on both sides. The Bruins probably dug in their heels on their offer and Gross/Swayman inversely did the same.

However, there is a reason no sane GM takes their star players to arbitration, and this is it. It's even better the Bruins thought they could do it again and act like Swayman would bow to them and are crying it isn't happening.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
the "he hasn't proven he can do it for XX number of games" argument is a really interesting look considering this team is paying Nikita Zadorov 5 million a year based off like 6 weeks of play and not many are upset with that.

Don’t forget the “swayman has never proven he can be a true #1 goalie”

Especially considering that same crowd is very willing to move forward with korpisalo who has 1 season with 40+ games and it was a pure disaster. Nevermind his history of hip/lower body issues.

BTO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 20, 2019
The Big Smoke (unfortunately)
I'd like to point out once again that Jeremy Swayman responded to an arbitration hearing that personally upset him by performing as a world-class professional. It didn't impact his play. It actually motivated him to play the best hockey of his career.

Isn't that what the best athletes always do? They use people questioning them as motivation to prove them wrong rather than wallow?

Even if someone thinks he's being a "baby" about arbitration on the ice he responded like a f***ing man.
True enough. But then shut-up about it maybe.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad