• Long term deal

Votes: 87 29.8%
  • Trade

Votes: 147 50.3%

• Total voters

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
One could make the argument that we're beating a dead horse here.

So be it. Discuss, if you so choose. We'll keep all the Swayman talk contained to this thread.

If you have nothing meaningful to contribute to the conversation, move along.

We will not have this devolve into thread hijacking and flaming of other posters.

@Gee Wally

We have numerous deletions and more in here. We know tension and emotions are high.
But you folks must simply stop taking personal shots at each. Stay to topic.

If not we will be left with no choice other than adding thread bans.

Last edited:

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
There was no $64 million offer before the press conference.

So Neely saying during the press conference that swayman has 64 million reasons to be playing is implying there’s a $64 million offer on the table, but there wasn’t.

Which would be against the CBA

Neely pretty much nailed it. Time to move on

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
first:
i beleive it would not be vindictive in sending him to Anaheim, Utah, San Jose ... because they would have to find a team with cap space willing to take on the contract demand Swayman is asking. That aspect limits very much whom Boston could work a deal with. Not many teams could fit Swayman's cap hit.

Secondly: Players across the league may be watching out of curiosity. Probably more perplexed that Swayman's not already taken the 7.8 or 8 mil a year. FAs won't care because if Boston doesn't pay their asking price they can move on and negotiate with another team. Swayman is a RFA limited in his options. Trade tragets should not have a problem coming to Boston, because Boston's offer to Swayman was/is more than fair. If anything I think players (silently) are amazed Swayman hasn't signed the contact.
Most are probably wishing/hoping their teams offers them such a generous increase in pay when their contracts come due.
Yes. Good points about the cap space and who can afford to pick up the tab.

I still think they should be careful if they decide to deal Jeremy.

Free agents care about more than simply getting paid.

They care very much about the environment and culture of a given team, the quality of life, the market, etc.

I would hope they wouldn't be vindictive, anyway. I don't think that's how they operate regardless.

Reactions: JAD

JAD

Old School
Sponsor
Nov 19, 2009
Florida
Well yes because $64 million wasn’t offered before the press conference and as dom mentioned it’s a violation of the CBA and could cost Neely his job.

And there is certainly still speculation regarding that
Right or wrong for now, Neely is still there. But, if there was ever a vacancy, I would ask Bergeron first, and if not interested, then Chara.

Reactions: BMC and UncleRico

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017
It was on Elliotte freedman’s 32 podcast that $64 million wasn’t on the table at the time of the press conference. You are more than welcome to go listen yourself.
That means it's a violation of the CBA and could cost Neely his job? I doubt it. Post anything that supports that.

Reactions: Bodit9

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
There was no $64 million offer before the press conference.

So Neely saying during the press conference that swayman has 64 million reasons to be playing is implying there’s a $64 million offer on the table, but there wasn’t.

Which would be against the CBA

So you still can't find a quote where he said that it had been offered before that press conference? No?

Reactions: Bodit9

RedSlider

Mar 3, 2016
I thought this was heading towards a trade after the Neely presser but after how quiet it got afterwards I had a feeling a deal would be done. Time to do that hockey.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Right or wrong for now, Neely is still there. But, if there was ever a vacancy, I would ask Bergeron first, and if not interested, then Chara.

Personally I would prefer them to add someone outside of the organization for a front office role. Whether that’s neelys or Sweeney’s spot who knows. But an outside perspective would be nice eventually.

That means it's a violation of the CBA and could cost Neely his job? I doubt it. Post anything that supports that.

I just posted doms comments from the other day saying if it’s true it’s against the cba, scroll up or go back one page.

Reactions: KillerMillerTime

Cam Em All

Sep 19, 2024
I call bs. The wounded pride act was a negotiation tactic to justify a higher demand.

The tell is when the only way to fix the wounded pride is with money. Trading Ullmark and offering 8 years were more than sufficient to show how highly management thinks of Swayman.
Exactly , hard to feel wounded when you sign for 66 mil$

Reactions: BMC, BTO and Kegs

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017
Personally I would prefer them to add someone outside of the organization for a front office role. Whether that’s neelys or Sweeney’s spot who knows. But an outside perspective would be nice eventually.

I just posted doms comments from the other day saying if it’s true it’s against the cba, scroll up or go back one page.
0% chance that happens. You're just a hater.

JAD

Old School
Sponsor
Nov 19, 2009
Florida

To a very small degree they got that when they hired Montgomery. Besides, I'm sure you know how strong 'the boys club' is throughput the hockey world. If nothing else, Bergeron is a diplomat when speaking publicly.

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010
It was on Elliotte freedman’s 32 podcast that $64 million wasn’t on the table at the time of the press conference. You are more than welcome to go listen yourself.

Friedman is just passing on what Swayman's agent either told him or someone else, Gross is no more believable then Neely. Nothing more is going to come of this, people can believe whoever they want about who is stretching the truth, time to move on from this.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
To a very small degree they got that when they hired Montgomery. Besides, I'm sure you know how strong 'the boys club' is throughput the hockey world. If nothing else, Bergeron is a diplomat when speaking publicly.

I mean more in regards to making personnel decisions.

I honestly don’t really care who the coach is. They get recycled every few years anyways. Hell we’ve had 3 coaches under Sweeney in 9 years and by some of the commentary it sounds like a 4th might be coming in short order

JAD

Old School
Sponsor
Nov 19, 2009
Florida
I mean more in regards to making personnel decisions.

I honestly don’t really care who the coach is. They get recycled every few years anyways. Hell we’ve had 3 coaches under Sweeney in 9 years and by some of the commentary it sounds like a 4th might be coming in short order
I understood what you were referring to.

As far as the coach ...
( my last post here concerning tthis as I don't want to hijack the thread)
Montgomery was brought in as a player's coach for a certain element of the team at the time. Without discounting the team's record the past 2 years it will be interesting to see if Montgomery has learned from his previous mistakes, and if the team will show improvement in certain fundamental aspects of the game.
We can discuss this elsewhere if you wish?

Mad-Marcus

Apr 26, 2002
Seacoast, NH
Of course that means he was in the meeting, taking notes for his podcast. Pundits BS all the time, I trust no that is surfing for clicks:naughty:
Gullible's Travels

• Haha
Reactions: Pia8988

JAD

Old School
Sponsor
Nov 19, 2009
Florida
In fairness I'm giving Swayman until Thanksgiving to get up to speed (hopefully sooner) he'll be under enough pressure without having to be rushed. Then we can see if he can put together a 'Rask-like' run the rest of the way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad