Player Discussion Jeremy Swayman -VI .. *crickets*

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

JAD

Old School
Sponsor
Nov 19, 2009
Florida
Never said he wasn't.

Just not $9 mil good.
Not $9 mil - yet. The truth is , we just don't know. Too small of a sample size.
Hence , why I think negotiations are dragging out.
Swayman's camp want him to be paid for what they believe he will be. Boston's camp wants to error on the side of caution, because there is no sustained proof that he should be paid that much and they don't want to be burned if he flames out.

Reactions: wintersej

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Yep Again it’s the bruins mismanagement of the cap that has led to this. Guessing Swayman would have been more up for a 4 year extension last summer before the arbitration hearing and stellar first round. Oh and also before they traded their insurance policy

Yeah Sway probably would have been happy to sign a 4 year 5 mil per season bridge contract last year. Obviously the Bruins Couldn't do this, but what does that matter

• Haha
Reactions: pearljamvs5

analyser

Jan 7, 2014
Those days are done. long time ago with a dead cap. I'll argue a 25 year old Swayman and a 26 year old Rask thank you. No way on earth he should be signing a 4 year deal when all these young forwards and defensemen who have accomplished much less are all cashing lottery tickets. Goalies are now due. Hellebuyck was 6/6plus a long time ago. I'll take 8/8+ with the cap going straight up
He is not worth it. Just because the cap is going up does not mean you have to spend a large portion on a player with a very limited resume.

Give him 6.5 max or realize he is not going to sign what is still a lucrative contract.

DS do what you have to do and concentrate on the team you already have in place.

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
There’s absolutely nothing to indicate that he would have wanted to sign that last year.
He might not have. Who know it would have been a very fair bridge offer, and would have left him as a UFA at age 28. That would have been a very good deal for him, but given his agent, he still might have pushed him into arbitration instead

My point is it is kind or irrelevant as the bruins couldn't make that type of deal unless they were willing to pay someone a #1 to take a player off their roster. Maybe Sway would have wanted more, I doubt it would have been less, either way it wasn't a realistic option for Boston

Last edited:

Scotto74

taking a break
Oct 7, 2005
Kingston, MA
All this is absolutely false. They said all years they were going to rotate that goalies every game regardless of results and planned to do that in the playoffs as well until Ullmark lost and they realized how stupid that was.

The fact is they knew Ullmark was never playing a game for them and kept up the rotation. If he was so good why didn't he start more games? Why didn't he start game 1?

They were comfortably in the playoffs. You commit to Swayman as the future. You try to deal Ullmark. So why are you not using this time to see if Swayman can play 2 more game and increase his work?

Incompetence is why.
So i post actual stats and your response is this is all false. How about backing that up with some facts? Or does your opinion mean more then actual stats: i love a good debate but when I bring actual facts and you bring nothing but opinion the conversation is over before it even started.

Again the team wants to win every year. Even if swayman is considered the future he was not playing well after the trade deadline and that is back up by stats and facts. If you feel differently show me the facts to back that opinion.

Bottom line is swayman has not proven he can carry the workload yet wants to be top two paid goalie in the league. I like him and want him signed but he has not earned top two pay and not a single stat i have seen supports him being top 2.

Bring some facts to support your argument or let’s just call it your unsupported opinion and move on.

Team has to do their best to win every single year. If they think a player will be traded in the offseason and stop playing them that is ridiculous. So basically what your saying is every team that has a UFA at the end of the season should sit them and see what their rookies can do because that are the future of the team. That is the craziest take I have ever heard

Last edited:

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
So i post actual stats and your response is this is all false. How about backing that uo with some facts? Or does your opinion mean more then actual stats: i love a good debate but when I bring actual facts and you bring nothing but opinion the conversation is over before it even started.

No. You posted stats thinking they mattered. There was no 'be the starter' option for Swayman. They limited his starts by design. I'm saying that was asinine if they're trying to pull the 'we don't know if he can handle it' horseshit. They controlled that. They knew negotiations were coming, so why didn't they see if they could. Did they intentionally limit Swayman's starts to tank his value in a contract year? Just as believable as Swayman is a greedy punk angle. Donny and crew manipulated his playing time to sign him to a lesser deal

Now let's get into actual facts

Why does every single f***ing good Bruin RFA take till after training came to get a deal?

List of Bruin RFA's that missed camp to get a deal done. Krug and Smith were forced into 1 year bridge deals just like Swayman because the Bruin's mismanged the Cap. Now Chia was the GM for Krug and Smith. But Donny and Cam were both key players in the front office and the Bruins operate the same way they did then. Can't blame Gross for all these, I'm sure some will just blame all agents.

Pastrnak
McAvoy
Carlo
Smith
Krug
Swayman

Another stance is how ass backwards the NHL treats UFAs vs RFAs. Sure UFAs have leverage, people over pay. But UFA contracts constantly come back to haunt teams while star RFAs overperform their deals. You're seeing a shift where young RFAs are putting up with that and teams are investing in them, and honestly good. Quit throwing bad money at players that are going to be on the downswing.

Last edited:

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022
There’s absolutely nothing to indicate that he would have wanted to sign that last year.
Well he did ask for a little less than 5 in arbitration. Makes no sense why he would have turned something like that down at that point in time.

Maybe we can have a Swayman battery night and fans can let him know what we think of him.
Going to be a rough eight years for you when he does sign.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Well he did ask for a little less than 5 in arbitration. Makes no sense why he would have turned something like that down at that point in time.

Going to be a rough eight years for you when he does sign.
Right. A two year deal at most. With two years left of RFA. Absolutely a great tell on what he would have committed to long term. And no way he was getting four years and buying out one UFA year on a bridge.

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022
No. You posted stats thinking they mattered. There was no 'be the starter' option for Swayman. They limited his starts by design. I'm saying that was asinine if they're trying to pull the 'we don't know if he can handle it' horseshit. They controlled that. They knew negotiations were coming, so why didn't they see if they could. Did they intentionally limit Swayman's starts to tank his value in a contract year? Just as believable as Swayman is a greedy punk angle. Donny and crew manipulated his playing time to sign him to a lesser deal

Now let's get into actual facts

Why does every single f***ing good Bruin RFA take till after training came to get a deal?

List of Bruin RFA's that missed camp to get a deal done. Krug and Smith were forced into 1 year bridge deals just like Swayman because the Bruin's mismanged the Cap. Now Chia was the GM for Krug and Smith. But Donny and Cam were both key players in the front office and the Bruins operate the same way they did then. Can't blame Gross for all these, I'm sure some will just blame all agents.

Pastrnak
McAvoy
Carlo
Smith
Krug
Swayman

Another stance is how ass backwards the NHL treats UFAs vs RFAs. Sure UFAs have leverage, people over pay. But UFA contracts constantly come back to haunt teams while star RFAs overperform their deals. You're seeing a shift where young RFAs are putting up with that and teams are investing in them, and honestly good. Quit throwing bad money at players that are going to be on the downswing.

Right. A two year deal at most. With two years left of RFA. Absolutely a great tell on what he would have committed to long term. And no way he was getting four years and buying out one UFA year on a bridge.
Why not? Ullmark was coming off a Vezina and he didn’t have his great playoffs yet? Four year deal made a lot of sense for both teams last summer. He would have traded one year of UFA for 15 mil over his three remaining RFA deals

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
Not $9 mil - yet. The truth is , we just don't know. Too small of a sample size.
Hence , why I think negotiations are dragging out.
Swayman's camp want him to be paid for what they believe he will be. Boston's camp wants to error on the side of caution, because there is no sustained proof that he should be paid that much and they don't want to be burned if he flames out.
I really do get both sides. Likely, if the deal is 8 years, anything (within reason) will be a good deal for both sides as long as he continues to produce at an elite level. His potential needs to be factored into a deal when he's had several elite seasons at just 25 years old, which is incredibly young for a goalie.

But, he hasn't yet proven he can do it on his own, and he's had a Vezina winner at his side for his entire tenure here. Also needs to be taken into consideration because it is a risk. A risk I'm happy taking, and one the front office almost certainly is as well.

Sweeney and Swayman's agent are doing their jobs. Worst case scenario for both sides is that he misses significant time. They're very likely close and I'm pretty confident this will be over by opening night.

Reactions: JAD

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad