Player Discussion Jeremy Swayman -VI .. *crickets*

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Yep, very possible Sweeney misread Swayman's camp's plans.

Perhaps Swayman didn't think this was going to be the outcome of it all, either.
Sweeney to me knew this was coming and why he wanted Korpi ~ Gross is his foil and he saw the Nylander deal and had the issues with Krug, and the arbitration with Swayman. I could be wrong (or right) but I don’t think he was surprised at all. I believe Goalie Bob gave him thumbs up on Korpi and they got contract at 3 M for 27 expected games (or more)

If you read Monty yesterday on Korpisalo he’s getting a Valentines Day card. It as Claude discussing Stephane Yelle level.

Swayman is perfect for the Bruins and vice versa

I think it would be a colossal mistake on both sides to blow it up - the Bruins know this

However, as much as I like Swayman the highest he’s getting is 8.3 M for 6

If he’s so hellbent on money then maybe go 2 and let him gamble he can find money, fame, and fortune somewhere else

And this grudge over arbitration- seriously get over it

If I can get over my parents not buying me a red Firebird (I was willing to even get my own 8 track put in) when I turned 17 I think Swayman needs to as well get over arbitration

Last edited:

Fenian24

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Without a doubt in my mind it’s Gross and Sweeney holding this up. One is butthurt with Krug and one has the ego to “beat” Gross after the Nylander stuff. If the both are long term is true it’s about AAV and I see Sweeney being the one holding the fort

Could be wrong but it’s just stupid he’s not here. Sound like a 7 vs 9 AAV issue and both of them being dicks about it. Sweeney could and should do the right thing here
Oh my, but does that sound like in his prime Harry Sinden. Screw Boston, the players, the fans, everybody but JJ and the owners. Wonder where they are hiding Harry? In the super marker downstairs?

Reactions: SwayHeyKid

Grimey

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 4, 2017
This could be one of the most disingenuous posts I've ever seen here, which is saying something. One playoff series vs Toronto has shit to do with what Swayman is viewed as. He's a top 5 goalie in the league because he's been top 5 in SV% 2 out of the last 3 seasons, and was 6th in the league the 1 year he wasn't in the top 5. And he's still super young and can easily get better. He's already a top 5 goalie so stop pretending.

Some of you here are acting like it's your f***ing money that he's asking for. Get a grip, FFS. He's not signing some 6mill super team friendly deal because he's worth a lot more than that.
Nailed my prediction of you getting annoyed and saying FFS very early into the new thread lol

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
I do wonder if this has gone on as long as it has because goaltending may be seen as less important to spend money on than other positions.

Kinda like RBs in the NFL. Sure it’s nice to have a good one. But a mediocre one might be able to do the same and cost less.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
I do wonder if this has gone on as long as it has because goaltending may be seen as less important to spend money on than other positions.

Kinda like RBs in the NFL. Sure it’s nice to have a good one. But a mediocre one might be able to do the same and cost less.

Kochetkov had 2 less wins than sway last year with a better GAA and has a great contract. Good team sure but Carolina isn't breaking the bank with that production. If the Bruins are going to spend huge money get a dynamic forward

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
What is Jeremy Swayman worth?

Is it worth finishing lower in the standings because not having him in the fold costs you points early in the season? Worth finishing 3rd or as a WC instead of 1st or 2nd? What if Detroit or Buffalo figure it out and you're in a dogfight for a playoff berth because you left points on the table in October and November and dug yourself a hole?

Is this club a Cup contender? Kind of a Cup contender?

Then is it worth it over a million bucks? Over 1.5 million?

Or does playing hardball and saving that $1-2m per season allow you to be a better club going forward and keep the window to contend open that much longer?

Reactions: Sevendust and LSCII

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Why is it only Swayman to blame? Maybe Donny overplayed his hand. In fact it more points to Swayman just not buying into the 'Bruin Way'. Gotta overpay UFAs, RFAs don't deserve it!

All this slinging about how Swayman is greedy, or his agent is to blame.

Dude, you are reading something into this that is not there. I get that you are firmly in camp Swayman on this, but can we not have a discussion where we aren't talking about blame and just what may be going on?

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
Kochetkov had 2 less wins than sway last year with a better GAA and has a great contract. Good team sure but Carolina isn't breaking the bank with that production. If the Bruins are going to spend huge money get a dynamic forward

A contract kochetkov signed after 7 NHL games. Can you imagine giving a goalie that much for 7 starts?!.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
An internal deadline?

What does that mean? Sit him for the season and not drag it out until December? Why limit your time?

Trade him if no contract by opening night?

I don't buy it. I think that comment is to put pressure on Gross to bend more.

As posters say above, smells more like a threat.

My guess is they are still preparing as if Swayman will sign the contract and start the season as the #1 guy.

If it doesn't happen by Opening Night, they're probably prepared to move on without him and focus on what they have internally and let the Swayman Camp figure out if they're signing the final offer or sitting the year out.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
Dude, you are reading something into this that is not there. I get that you are firmly in camp Swayman on this, but can we not have a discussion where we aren't talking about blame and just what may be going on?

You first point is saying Swayman is negotiating in bad faith, but sure. That’s totally not what you meant I bet

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
It’s a funny dynamic for a goalie.

At the highest of the high ends he might play 2/3rds of the games. So right away if I’m a gm my first thought is how much are those games worth. And then I start taking a third of the price off of each one and go from there.

The goalie on the other side is obviously doing the opposite.

Funny thing is from season to season they could find times where both guys would be right in how much the goaltending was key to winning.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
You first point is saying Swayman is negotiating in bad faith, but sure. That’s totally not what you meant I bet

I posited a possibility, because unlike you, apparently, I don't think Sweeney is a complete idiot who is just being cheap. Do I think Swayman really did a bad faith thing? Maybe. It happens. Did Don miscalculate what he thought Swayman would accept? Maybe. That also happens. But if you want to just argue about blame, I'm not your huckleberry.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
I posited a possibility, because unlike you, apparently, I don't think Sweeney is a complete idiot who is just being cheap. Do I think Swayman really did a bad faith thing? Maybe. It happens. Did Don miscalculate what he thought Swayman would accept? Maybe. That also happens. But if you want to just argue about blame, I'm not your huckleberry.

I think it's as simple as the typical Bruins RFA hardball and Swayman not budging. So here we're waiting to see who blinks first, while people attack Swayman for being greedy, lying, or negotiating in bad faith.

Kazcram

May 13, 2012
Shakespeare Ontario
Getting him for cash is better than giving up assets we did not have at the deadline. I personaly think this is a great signing. But he is what his is at this point, an intimidating mean player that will have no issues protecting his goalie.

Lets use our eyeballs more often, " models " dont always tell the truth.

we have been missing this for a while now and i for one am glad hes here

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I think it's as simple as the typical Bruins RFA hardball and Swayman not budging. So here we're waiting to see who blinks first, while people attack Swayman for being greedy, lying, or negotiating in bad faith.

Not sure why you see raising a possiblity as attacking him. It could have been a bad faith move on his part for all you or I or probably anyone here knows. It could be Don overplaying his hand. I have no idea. but until we know, if we ever know, the truth of things, anything is possible, and I think it's okay to point out the different things that might be going on.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Comparing the two is not favorable to your post. FWIW, they money they should have spent for a dynamic forward instead went to the backup goalie and the bottom paring defensemen. Had they not taken on Korpi's money, Peeke's money, and given Zadorov that overpayment, they'd have been able to sign Swayman and bring in a top 6 forward.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
For the vast majority of the last two years, we weren't even sure if Swayman was the best goalie on his own team. The other guy did win a Vezina.

Then Sway goes on a (short) heater in the playoffs, and he's definitely a top 5 goalie in the league?

That's recency bias, and news to me. Consistency in this league at the top is real hard. He hasn't done that yet.

There's no question Swayman was outstanding during the playoffs. However he had the benefit of a lighter regular season load so he was definitely fresher than someone who played 60+ games. IMO that must be taken into consideration when trying to decide how much to pay him on this deal. IIRC he's never played more than 45 regular season games at the #1 spot. No it isn't his fault the Bruins went with a tandem system but the fact remains he doesn't have enough games played at #1 that other #1 goaltenders do such as Sheshterkin & Hellebucyk who are absolute workhorses for their teams.

I think he's got the potential to be a truly elite goaltender but I want to see him play the full, #1 goaltender workload before handing him $ 8 million a year.

Reactions: AngryMilkcrates

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
What is Jeremy Swayman worth?

Is it worth finishing lower in the standings because not having him in the fold costs you points early in the season? Worth finishing 3rd or as a WC instead of 1st or 2nd? What if Detroit or Buffalo figure it out and you're in a dogfight for a playoff berth because you left points on the table in October and November and dug yourself a hole?

Is this club a Cup contender? Kind of a Cup contender?

Then is it worth it over a million bucks? Over 1.5 million?

Or does playing hardball and saving that $1-2m per season allow you to be a better club going forward and keep the window to contend open that much longer?
4/30
6/50
8/64

Pick one

You don’t like it
2/12

Be a UFA

• Wow
Reactions: Bodit9

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
You keep saying this DK - why would you give him two years? That would be the best possible scenario for him. No chance anyone sane would do that.

Perhaps it could be all they are going to get him to agree to at this point, so it's either that or Sway sits? We have no idea how much bad blood is being created through this process. If you were Sweeney and the final option was a 2 year deal, would you do it to have him in the lineup this season and hope whatever has gone wrong will get ironed out in a couple of years?

Reactions: BigGoalBrad

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad