Player Discussion Jeremy Swayman -V - all still silent

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
And then I dont know if this is a factor. Even a small one.

Igor Shesterkin, the star goaltender for the New York Rangers, has made it clear that contract negotiations must be finalized before the season opener on Oct. 9 or be postponed until next summer.

According to "two league sources familiar with the talks" between the goalie and the franchise, talking to The Athletic’s Arthur Staple and Peter Baugh on Monday, Shesterkin’s camp and the Rangers are “not remotely close” to a deal.

Shesterkin, who is entering the final season of his contract, is seeking a significant raise and wants to avoid distractions during the season. The authors noted negotiations "started months ago but has not progressed much."

The 28-year-old netminder said last week, “It’s work for my agent. I just want to be focused on my game, on practice every day.” He also left the door open to all possibilities, stating, "You never know what can happen."

While there’s no bad blood between Shesterkin and the Rangers, both parties are at odds over the terms of a new deal.

Shesterkin is aiming for a contract that could make him the highest-paid goalie in NHL history, potentially with an annual average value (AAV) of $12 million, as first reported by New York Post’s Mollie Walker in June and echoed once again on Monday.

Reactions: smithformeragent

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
So you think that Dan Vladar, who had played less games than Swayman with MUCH worse stats was a good comp for Swayman? You totally believe that was a 100% honest and fair comparison?

I have no idea who the Bruins used as a comp. I also don't know who Gross used as a comp to Swayman but I'll bet it was every bit as unrealistic as the Bruins' choice. Do you think Gross' choice was a 100% honest & fair comparison?

You know as well as I do that in arbitration the team tries to portray the player in the worst possible light & the agent tries to portray the player in the best possible light. The arbiter usually splits things down the middle so neither side can claim victory.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
Sway never should have gone to arbitration, his agent should have prepared him better for it or not taken the Bruins to arbitration, he should have understood his client better, the kid is obviously thin skinned, sensitive or too emotional for those type of proceedings. Say what you want about Sweeney and I have said many things about him and not often was I kind, but he did his job it is not his place to be pumping Sways, tires, that job should have been done by his agent. I feel the animosity is to strong and this will not be a good relationship going forward, and a suggest a trade is a must. I suggest Sway get a little tougher in the sensitivity department, and if is to be signed, he must take into account that his one time very solid popularity as shrunk and when he goes through the rough streaks, and they will happen, he will hear about it, the question then will be is he mentally tough enough to get through it, I would say after the past year with what we have seen how he has handled this whole process I would say probably not.

I will lay massive odds the Bruins offer pre arbitration was significantly less than what they got post. We've seen this with the cap crunch and Krug/Smith back in the day how Bruins treat RFAs in a tight cap.

I have no idea who the Bruins used as a comp. I also don't know who Gross used as a comp to Swayman but I'll bet it was every bit as unrealistic as the Bruins' choice. Do you think Gross' choice was a 100% honest & fair comparison?

You know as well as I do that in arbitration the team tries to portray the player in the worst possible light & the agent tries to portray the player in the best possible light. The arbiter usually splits things down the middle so neither side can claim victory.

And that is on the team for letting it degrade to that level. Swayman's only option besides arbitration was to just accept whatever Sweeney put in front of him. Should he have done that?

Reactions: Dr Quincy

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Those are part and parcel of arbitrations, though, so it is not the same thing to me. The issue was lowball in this current negotiation anyway and whether Swayman is still sore about it is irrelevant to the Bruins offer.
I don't see it that way at all. Swayman's arb offer IMO wasn't done in good faith and they apparently doubled down this time.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Sway never should have gone to arbitration, his agent should have prepared him better for it or not taken the Bruins to arbitration, he should have understood his client better, the kid is obviously thin skinned, sensitive or too emotional for those type of proceedings. Say what you want about Sweeney and I have said many things about him and not often was I kind, but he did his job it is not his place to be pumping Sways, tires, that job should have been done by his agent. I feel the animosity is to strong and this will not be a good relationship going forward, and a suggest a trade is a must. I suggest Sway get a little tougher in the sensitivity department, and if is to be signed, he must take into account that his one time very solid popularity as shrunk and when he goes through the rough streaks, and they will happen, he will hear about it, the question then will be is he mentally tough enough to get through it, I would say after the past year with what we have seen how he has handled this whole process I would say probably not.
Part of his job is to not create a hostile environment with his most important assets.
If that means "pumping tires" to keep things even keeled with a foundation if his team, he is a fool if he doesn't.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
I will lay massive odds the Bruins offer pre arbitration was significantly less than what they got post. We've seen this with the cap crunch and Krug/Smith back in the day how Bruins treat RFAs in a tight cap.

And that is on the team for letting it degrade to that level. Swayman's only option besides arbitration was to just accept whatever Sweeney put in front of him. Should he have done that?

He could have. He chose not to. Now he has to live with the consequences that have followed.

What you say is about Bruins management is true- they went all in to try to win in 2023 so they had no room under the cap. That's on them. If it had worked they'd be considered geniuses. It didn't so here's the fallout.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH

Igor Shesterkin, the star goaltender for the New York Rangers, has made it clear that contract negotiations must be finalized before the season opener on Oct. 9 or be postponed until next summer.

According to "two league sources familiar with the talks" between the goalie and the franchise, talking to The Athletic’s Arthur Staple and Peter Baugh on Monday, Shesterkin’s camp and the Rangers are “not remotely close” to a deal.

Shesterkin, who is entering the final season of his contract, is seeking a significant raise and wants to avoid distractions during the season. The authors noted negotiations "started months ago but has not progressed much."

The 28-year-old netminder said last week, “It’s work for my agent. I just want to be focused on my game, on practice every day.” He also left the door open to all possibilities, stating, "You never know what can happen."

While there’s no bad blood between Shesterkin and the Rangers, both parties are at odds over the terms of a new deal.

Shesterkin is aiming for a contract that could make him the highest-paid goalie in NHL history, potentially with an annual average value (AAV) of $12 million, as first reported by New York Post’s Mollie Walker in June and echoed once again on Monday.
I like that PuckPedia gives you the cap hit breakdown as well as what percentage of the cap each position makes up.

Shesterkin is under $6m this season and Quick makes peanuts.

The cap is going up, but if Shesterkin jumps up to $11-12m per season, that has ripple effects on the cap.

B’s have been stellar in net for the past few seasons. It wasn’t realistic to keep Ullmark. With Korpisalo coming in at $3, plus wherever Swayman lands in terms of AAV, it feels like a lateral move at best in terms of what you’re paying at the position against the cap.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
I asked this question about 10 pages ago and haven't gotten a response (maybe people don't like me). I'd love to see this list. Put it out there people. All the goalies playing in the NHL right now, who do you want most for 2024-2030?

Go ahead and name them, and then forget you ever listed any of them above Swayman once he signs and you like him again.
For me, there’s only one. Shesterkin.

I’d take Sway over literally every other goaltender in the league.

If $8.25M/yr (long-term) would work for Swayman’s camp, and Sweeney isn’t budging? I think (I won’t say he’s an idiot)… but I think he’s WRONG. I think Swayman is the kind of player you should be thankful you have and one you don’t let go of if you can help it. No different than Pastrnak or McAvoy.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
You've got billionaire owners and millionaire player squabbling like kindergartners. It's ridiculous. I'm at the point of a "pox on both their houses" They're wrecking sports for the fan.

Not that they give a flying f***.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
Part of his job is to not create a hostile environment with his most important assets.
If that means "pumping tires" to keep things even keeled with a foundation if his team, he is a fool if he doesn't.
When you are sitting in that room it is up the agent to build a case for the player.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
He could have. He chose not to. Now he has to live with the consequences that have followed.

What you say is about Bruins management is true- they went all in to try to win in 2023 so they had no room under the cap. That's on them. If it had worked they'd be considered geniuses. It didn't so here's the fallout.

So you’re saying Swayman should have just took whatever Sweeney offered?

That in it of itself is relationship damaging

ranold26

Tuukka likes the post...
May 28, 2003
All of the comparable contracts people have brought up have made me think goalies are dramatically underpaid in this league where bottom pairing defensemen constantly get outrageous deals.
I agree. Most 3rd pair guys play 15-18 minutes a game.
Goalies might play 30-70 games a year, but most play 60 minutes a game.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
All of the comparable contracts people have brought up have made me think goalies are dramatically underpaid in this league where bottom pairing defensemen constantly get outrageous deals.
They are, and there are bargains to be had in large part because there are only 64 jobs.

Ullmark ended up being a steal at $5m.

Great goaltending is no guarantee of success, but shitty goaltending will almost certainly sink your club.

nORRis8

The NHL, the stupidest League ever.
Sep 16, 2015
RedDeer, Alberta

Let him sit.
For the last 3 years he's been the Rags starter.
Decent goalie that's on a team with decent scoring.
Won a Vezina.
Big Whoop!

Chevalier du Clavier

Écrivain de ferrage
Jul 20, 2005
Alas, here we are.

Here:

IMG_3201.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad