Player Discussion Jeremy Swayman -neither elect arbitration (page 16)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida
My prediction from months ago was $9M AAV. Reasoning that Tuuka’s big deal he signed around the same age and with around the same value would be $9.5M AAV at next season’s cap and that one worked out pretty well for both sides in my opinion.

Swayman is a stud. He has the athleticism, work ethic, all around good guy, god given talent etc. He is young enough that even a max length 8 year deal will mostly be his peak performance years (for a goalie).

Anything under $9M is team friendly in my view. The painful part is seeing Korpisalo eat up $3M in cap space for the next four seasons, but we already have a thread for that.

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
You asked HOW. I feel like you're very intent on having an argument with me I have not made! I'm just explaining why he does have leverage with the Bruins if he wants to use it. OBVIOUSLY, so obvious I didn't think it needed to be said explicitly, a team WOULD HAVE TO f***ING OFFER THAT.

f*** you are being pedantic.
I hear Dunkin has decaf now.

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida
Saros just got $7.74M for 8 years from Nashville. That's a high comp. He has a much longer track record as a starter.

Start from there and work down. I'd say that $7.5M for 8 years is a win-win contract.
Saros is 4 years older than Swayman. If Saros was 25 right now instead of 29, you can bet the AAV would be a few million higher. Saros agreed to the lower AAV because that deal brings him to age 36 through the whole last year. Plenty of regression years likely at the end of that contract. That’s how this works.

Bruins4Lifer

Jun 28, 2006
Regina, SK
He goes to a team that wants a young top 10 goalie and has a ton a cap space. Sweeney can say he won't trade him but when you are building a defense first team a rookie goalie and Korpisalo are not your best choices for a starter and your projected number 1 for the next 8 years in Swayman is demanding out you have two choices, pay up or trade.

Hopefully it does not come to this
I don't think it comes to that either. Unless Sweeney and the Bruins are being unreasonably cheap and stingy, a lengthy hold-out is unlikely. They don't often work for RFAs.

they'll come to a fair deal at some point.

Carl Hungus

Apr 20, 2022
They're going to pay him a LOT of money. And they should.

I'm still nervous about it though. Hope he doesn't fizzle out. Gotta roll the dice I guess

the negotiator

Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
I remain unworried about this getting taken care of before training camp.

I do think taking him to arbitration last year is going to cost them now.
Yup...a short term " win" for a long term " even -up" contract

given the cap situation last year and the cap increases going forward it was probably worth the extra costs and hopefully the reasoning was all explained to Sway

That said- just sign him and let's move on !

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be
There's 0 justification for over $9M at any term length. With two more RFA years until he could hit unrestricted free agency, his leverage is limited.

Lou - why do you think this is happening? What’s the definition of “penny pinching” here. No one knows anything.
I’m saying it makes no sense and is not going to happen. He’s going to get 8 plus easily

Reactions: Gordoff and Kalus

bruins cup

Jun 29, 2024
Let’s overpay for a 6 and the worst starting goalie in the NHL but penny pinch and play hardball with the franchise. Makes sense
Korps is by far not the worst and by the way he also has more playoff series wins the swayman

I’m saying it makes no sense and is not going to happen. He’s going to get 8 plus easily
Not a chance what do you think Sweeney is dumb the guys won one playoff series in his career and he's going to get paid more than 8 million no way

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida
I remain unworried about this getting taken care of before training camp.

I do think taking him to arbitration last year is going to cost them now.
The fact the team elected a 1 year ruling vs 2 hurts.

Korps is by far not the worst and by the way he also has more playoff series wins the swayman
You might want to check the stats on Korps. As far as the playoff wins, kasper daugavins has more playoff wins than bedard, too.

Reactions: Mr. Make-Believe

bruins cup

Jun 29, 2024

You might want to check the stats on Korps. As far as the playoff wins, kasper daugavins has more playoff wins than bedard, too.
He played on trash teams he will be fine in his role. Swayman is better yes but worth 8-9 mil?
No way he has won 1 playoff series and it took game 7 it to do it. With a banged up leafs team
6 is Max ID pay

• Haha
Reactions: PB37

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
I thought they would get lucky to get him for 8x8, figured it would be higher. Either way they have to sign him, if it's 9 or 10 then a player or players will have to be moved out.

This will help people who want to see Lysell make the team as well as guys like Brazeau. Players making 1m or less that can produce like Geekie have heightened value.
I am hoping for 7.5 and fine through 8.5. If it happens to be more I’m not going to sit around and commiserate. I’ll be grateful that he’s locked up. I’d hate to lose a guy like Geekie but you have to secure the core and on an 8 year deal I almost feel like it’s guaranteed to be a good value in the end barring unforeseen injury issues. That is the normal risk you take on a long term deal even when buying the prime of a career.

Reactions: Gordoff

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018

Two years would have been worse. Would cost him $3.5-$4M this year. Going one year was a show of good faith.

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida
He played on trash teams he will be fine in his role. Swayman is better yes but worth 8-9 mil?
No way he has won 1 playoff series and it took game 7 it to do it. With a banged up leafs team
6 is Max ID pay
Korps faced less high danger chances last season than ullmark/swayman

Anything less than $9M for Swayman is team friendly

Two years would have been worse. Would cost him $3.5-$4M this year. Going one year was a show of good faith.
If you are going to bring your future franchise goalie to arb and break the guy down in front of him, you better get a 2 year award.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Korps faced less high danger chances last season than ullmark/swayman

Anything less than $9M for Swayman is team friendly

If you are going to bring your future franchise goalie to arb and break the guy down in front of him, you better get a 2 year award.
And again…if they made it two years Swayman would have been 10x more pissed. I don’t agree with this angle at all.

analyser

Jan 7, 2014
6 is Max ID pay
I totally agree and people have got to look at the future overall not just Swayman's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad