Player Discussion Jeremy Swayman -neither elect arbitration (page 16)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Scary numbers. I love the guy, but yikes. 9-10M is crazy high for any goalie, especially one who's career-high GP is 44 in a season.

I have my pitchfork at the ready, Donny. Don't f*** this up.

I believe the Bruins don't even have 9-10M to spend under the cap. So the writer didn't put much research into those bullshit numbers.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
There's 0 justification for over $9M at any term length. With two more RFA years until he could hit unrestricted free agency, his leverage is limited.

I mean, in addition to signing a huge offer sheet he can always demand a trade and say he's played his last game as a Bruin. He's not really that limited if he doesn't want to be.

JAD

Old School
Sponsor
Nov 19, 2009
Florida
Stumbling blocks could be money, could be term, could also be lockout protection, other incentives ...NMC/NTC. Eventually, it will all get worked out.

Reactions: HustleB

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Swayman getting even 8 is ridiculous

I’d probably do it if Donny Hockey but not happy

Ideally he’s 8/58-60 M

I still think it’s going to jump start camp

Hopefully I will know more August 10th if he’s already signed and waiting

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Deal is done. Hold off announcement and leverage publicity. Free marketing for bruins. Powerful tool. I say 5 year deal at $7.
I think if I’m Donny I’d like to have him sign September 17 or whenever camp opens up

8/62 NMC

Reactions: Blowfish

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
The fans suffer the most. Take a family to a game? I’ve worked with many players and know them well,I feel no sorrow for them.

Very few people can imagine themselves as the owner of a sports team. Many people can & have imagined themselves as professional athletes. Plus professional athletes come from all walks of life- rich, middle class, poor etc. where owners not so much. It's a lot easier to get on the athletes than the owners because for the most part they (the players) come from ordinary backgrounds that fans can understand.

Reactions: Gordoff

Bruins4Lifer

Jun 28, 2006
Regina, SK
a) Another team offers him that

b) he tells the Bruins he's pissed about arbitration and that's their price, otherwise they can trade him.

Again, he has leverage if he wants to use it. Which was my point.
And what makes you think he would be able to find that kind of offer from another team? Offer sheets are incredibly rare as it is for even skaters. No goaltender in the cap-era has ever signed one, it would be unprecedented. Which teams need a $9M+ goalie, and has the cap space, and the ability and willingness to give up a minimum of a 1st, 2nd and 3rd (or 2 1sts, a 2nd, 3rd) draft picks?

analyser

Jan 7, 2014
a) Another team offers him that

b) he tells the Bruins he's pissed about arbitration and that's their price, otherwise they can trade him.

Again, he has leverage if he wants to use it. Which was my
Do not let JS dictate how the upcoming years of Cap increase will be used. You cannot give all the money to one out of character individual who thinks he is worth whatever amount. Give him 6.5 to 7 mil per year final offer.

The world does not come to an end without JS.

EverettMike

Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
And what makes you think he would be able to find that kind of offer from another team? Offer sheets are incredibly rare as it is for even skaters. No goaltender in the cap-era has ever signed one, it would be unprecedented. Which teams need a $9M+ goalie, and has the cap space, and the ability and willingness to give up a minimum of a 1st, 2nd and 3rd (or 2 1sts, a 2nd, 3rd) draft picks?

You asked HOW. I feel like you're very intent on having an argument with me I have not made! I'm just explaining why he does have leverage with the Bruins if he wants to use it. OBVIOUSLY, so obvious I didn't think it needed to be said explicitly, a team WOULD HAVE TO f***ING OFFER THAT.

f*** you are being pedantic.

Do not let JS dictate how the upcoming years of Cap increase will be used. You cannot give all the money to one out of character individual who thinks he is worth whatever amount. Give him 6.5 to 7 mil per year final offer.

The world does not come to an end without JS.

Sweeney should read him this post. I think it will convince Swayman. Maybe he'll sign for league minimum.

Fenian24

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
I thought they would get lucky to get him for 8x8, figured it would be higher. Either way they have to sign him, if it's 9 or 10 then a player or players will have to be moved out.

This will help people who want to see Lysell make the team as well as guys like Brazeau. Players making 1m or less that can produce like Geekie have heightened value.

Bruins4Lifer

Jun 28, 2006
Regina, SK
You asked HOW. I feel like you're very intent on having an argument with me I have not made! I'm just explaining why he does have leverage with the Bruins if he wants to use it. OBVIOUSLY, so obvious I didn't think it needed to be said explicitly, a team WOULD HAVE TO f***ING OFFER THAT.

Okay. Just to clear it up - I said his leverage was limited. I'm not sure why you responded to that statement with bringing up the possibility of offer sheets if you didn't actually think it was realistic (and would actually give him some leverage).

Fenian24

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
How does that increase his value to over $9M?
He goes to a team that wants a young top 10 goalie and has a ton a cap space. Sweeney can say he won't trade him but when you are building a defense first team a rookie goalie and Korpisalo are not your best choices for a starter and your projected number 1 for the next 8 years in Swayman is demanding out you have two choices, pay up or trade.

Hopefully it does not come to this

Reactions: Gordoff and BBruins

analyser

Jan 7, 2014

Sweeney should read him this post. I think it will convince Swayman. Maybe he'll sign for league minimum.
Well you can put him on a pedestal and give him 9-12 mil but he does not deserve it based on experience. His stats have been complied within a very limited time frame. He is not God and will not win the Cup without a lot of help. Money needs to be reserved for the other hired help.

Reactions: Gordoff and BBruins

EverettMike

Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Okay. Just to clear it up - I said his leverage was limited. I'm not sure why you responded to that statement with bringing up the possibility of offer sheets if you didn't actually think it was realistic (and would actually give him some leverage).

And I'm saying it's not that limited. I gave examples why.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Why am I getting flashbacks to the times Pastrnak wasn't signed on the very first day of eligibility? (And we all know what happened to the "sky is falling" posters those times, right?)

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
at this point we may need to go through another Grahame/Toivonen/Potvin/Shields merry-go-round. i feel like younger fans are too spoiled with elite netminders and need to see how the other half lives to appreciate them.

Reactions: wintersej and Kalus

analyser

Jan 7, 2014
I believe he should come in at around Shetsterkin to Graham's salary range.

Be realistic and get JS's salary down to a manageable level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad