Player Discussion Jeremy Swayman -neither elect arbitration (page 16)

Status
Not open for further replies.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
2.5 to me is that 1-year, take it or leave it, sorry its all the cap space we have, type-of deal. Which is potentially how it will play out.

No way does he take 2.5 with term.

And I think if they have traded Ullmark and it’s 2.5x1 to prove it before he gets his big long term deal, I think Swayman would have NO issues betting on himself to get a better than his common comparables deal rather than one that is worse like he would get today.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
And I think if they have traded Ullmark and it’s 2.5x1 to prove it before he gets his big long term deal, I think Swayman would have NO issues betting on himself to get a better than his common comparables deal rather than one that is worse like he would get today.

If they move Ullmark, I think they then try to get Swayman signed to a longer deal. I only think he gets the 1-year lowball if Ullmark is still around.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be
Can't see Swayman taking short money and short years if Ullmark is still around. I could see him going 1/3.2 say if he's the #1 for this season and extending next summer. If he is the back up no chance he short changes himself IMO. He does not have a lot of options though. You would think his arbitration number comes in starting with a 4.

Reactions: wintersej

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
Can't see Swayman taking short money and short years if Ullmark is still around. I could see him going 1/3.2 say if he's the #1 for this season and extending next summer. If he is the back up no chance he short changes himself IMO. He does not have a lot of options though. You would think his arbitration number comes in starting with a 4.
It's a bit more complicated with arbitration.

First, you've got the one season aspect, or two seasons if the team wants that. They probably would, but who knows.

Next, one of his main comps, Oettinger, only makes $2.4m in the first year of his contract (this season past). Oettinger played 48 games the season prior to making that $2.4m.

So, the arbitrator would look at that, Knight's deal with a team incapable of being fiscally responsible with goaltenders and every other mid-20s contract signed prior. It's not often the arbitration ruling comes back at the highest dollar value contract signed among the player's peers.

So, while Swayman may come in above $4m, I'd say it's safer and likely more accurate to say it'll come in around $4m. And Oettinger's $2.4m, backloaded deal may be huge.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
It's a bit more complicated with arbitration.

First, you've got the one season aspect, or two seasons if the team wants that. They probably would, but who knows.

Next, one of his main comps, Oettinger, only makes $2.4m in the first year of his contract (this season past). Oettinger played 48 games the season prior to making that $2.4m.

So, the arbitrator would look at that, Knight's deal with a team incapable of being fiscally responsible with goaltenders and every other mid-20s contract signed prior. It's not often the arbitration ruling comes back at the highest dollar value contract signed among the player's peers.

So, while Swayman may come in above $4m, I'd say it's safer and likely more accurate to say it'll come in around $4m. And Oettinger's $2.4m, backloaded deal may be huge.

A goalie playing in 60% of the games vs 45% of the games is a big difference. Fair or not, starters get paid more. In addition to noting that Oettinger is only getting 2.4 in the first year of his deal, if I was the Bruins I would argue that Samsonov, Kahkonen, Korpisalo contracts that came in between 2 and 3 AAV are just as valid as a comparable as Oettinger for Swayman since they were in backup roles. No perfect comparable. But I think there is enough of a case to be made, if it got that far, to not assume we are talking about "around" 4aav.

But, I can't imagine it will get to arbitration.

Either Ullmark is gone and Swayman takes a 1 year "prove it" deal as the starter to set himself up for a bigger payday, or the Bruins have to pay him close to Oettinger price on a longer term deal wether Ullmark is still here or not.

I don't think Swayman coming back at a backup rate to sit behind Ullmark is an option if his agent is even slightly competent unless its via arbitration.

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
A goalie playing in 60% of the games vs 45% of the games is a big difference. Fair or not, starters get paid more. In addition to noting that Oettinger is only getting 2.4 in the first year of his deal, if I was the Bruins I would argue that Samsonov, Kahkonen, Korpisalo contracts that came in between 2 and 3 AAV are just as valid as a comparable as Oettinger for Swayman since they were in backup roles. No perfect comparable. But I think there is enough of a case to be made, if it got that far, to not assume we are talking about "around" 4aav.

Either Ullmark is gone and Swayman takes a 1 year "prove it" deal as the starter to set himself up for a bigger payday, or the Bruins have to pay him close to Oettinger price on a longer term deal wether Ullmark is still here or not.

I don't think Swayman coming back at a backup rate to sit behind Ullmark is an option if his agent is even slightly competent unless its via arbitration.
If the club believes as you do that he'd receive nothing close to $4m in arbitration, I'd say there's a very real scenario he returns at a backup rate to sit behind Ullmark. The team can elect for arbitration just as the player can.

Reactions: wintersej

Dicky113

Oct 30, 2007
i'd want to know a lot more about whatever was up with the Jets locker room before i committed anything to any of those guys
The jets leadership group is toxic, including wheeler and sheiffle. They are so bad it caused the best coach in the nhl to walk out on the team. That’s not even really an unknown secret anymore.

Reactions: Oates2Neely

duffy

Feb 12, 2006

I'm hoping DS can keep both goaltenders because they are the sole reason our mostly AHL quality Dmen passed for NHLers! I'm hoping that Sweeney guts the D but he seems anamored with Carlo
and Gryzz so I don't see that happening. If he trades away one of our goalies and keeps this D group he better hope the remaining tender can play 60 plus games, because that's what it will take to nail down a wildcard spot.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
I think Swayman takes a 1 year deal this summer…waits for the cap to increase and bruins to have more room to get a better long term deal

23-24 Ullmark-Swayman

Bruins trade Ullmark summer of 24 with only 1 year left on his deal and him being due for a big raise

Sign Swayman long term

24-25 Swayman Bussi
I wonder if they would consider flipping Ullmark at the deadline this year...deadline prices are usually higher and the acquiring team gets him for two playoff runs.

Reactions: 13Hockey
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad