Player Discussion Jeremy Swayman IV - even more nothing

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ranold26

Tuukka likes the post...
May 28, 2003
This is one of the many bits of revisionist history from the Thornton trade that management (Sinden and MOC) have always sold. There was no cap when Thornton was dealt, the return was awful because O'Connell never should have been GM and was horribly out of his league.

Signing Chara and Savard had nothing to do with Thornton, it had to do with a half empty building, declining interest in the team and beer sales struggling.
Uh Joe Thornton was traded to San Jose on November 30th 2005….which was during the first salary cap season of 2005-2006.
They traded him and had cap room at season’s end to sign Chara and Savard on July 1st 2006.
There is no revisionism.

Scotto74

taking a break
Oct 7, 2005
Kingston, MA
Everyone wants swayman signed but he's overplayed his hand contract wise thinking he should be payed as one of the leagues top goalies with little resume
I agree. was just scanning the NHL goalies cap hits.

You have to go down to #30 on the list of cap hits to find a goalie that has played as few games as Swayman and thats Adain Hill for Vegas with a $4.9M hit.

the only other guy with under 50 games in a season on the list was Ullmark at 49 games played in a season as his highest with a $5.M cap hit.

unless i overlooked someone on that list how can Swayman think he has the resume to be one of the top 3-5 paid goalies never playing more then 44 games in a season and only being the starter for 2 playoff series. winning 1 and losing 1.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Everyone wants swayman signed but he's overplayed his hand contract wise thinking he should be payed as one of the leagues top goalies with little resume
Guys are getting paid at his age or far younger it’s his third contract and we have the cap room.

But that being said if Korpisalo and Bussi play well he’s screwed and his agent is going to need to find a trade.

I Hate Philadelphia

Aug 10, 2015
Orlando, Florida
Uh Joe Thornton was traded to San Jose on November 30th 2005….which was during the first salary cap season of 2005-2006.
They traded him and had cap room at season’s end to sign Chara and Savard on July 1st 2006.
There is no revisionism.

This is literally the opening scene of the 2011 Stanley Cup DVD lol. No Thornton trade = no 2011 cup.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
This is literally the opening scene of the 2011 Stanley Cup DVD lol. No Thornton trade = no 2011 cup.
Thornton was the best player on the planet by some margin at the time of his trade. Pre lockout Bruins could have contended through 2011 and won multiple Cups.

Cap was very low after Jeremy killed the Union and Chara and Savard took up a huge percentage maybe 30% so there would not have been room for all 3.

Scotto74

taking a break
Oct 7, 2005
Kingston, MA
Guys are getting paid at his age or far younger it’s his third contract and we have the cap room.

But that being said if Korpisalo and Bussi play well he’s screwed and his agent is going to need to find a trade.
not goalies.

Swayman is 25 right

goalies at age 25 or under there is one making $9.5M and that is Vasilevskiy for Tampa bay with a MUCH bigger resume then Sway. Next highest is Gibson for the Ducks at $6.4 who has an 11 year resume playing 60 games as a high.

Swayman if asking for close to $10M is way over what goalies are being paid at his age or any age.

Last edited:

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022
All these young guys are overpaid. Why is Faber paid only 500k less than Cale Makar?

not goalies.

Swayman is 25 right

goalies at age 25 or under there is one making $9.5M and that is Vasilevskiy for Tampa bay with a MUCH bigger resume then Sway. Net highest is Gibson for the Ducks at $6.4 how has an 11 year resume playing 60 games as a high.

Swayman if asking for close to $10M is way over what goalies are being paid at his age or any age.
Gibson got that deal five years ago and hasn’t played a playoff game since. 8x8.5 is the way to go. If you can get him to 8 do it

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
If Swayman cried about us being mean in arbitration what is going to happen if he caves and takes our offer or close to it?

The fanbase won’t have any sympathy if he pouts about making 6 mil vs 10. He should just take a 1 year deal and earn a bigger contract next year. We have the cap room and won’t give it to him take a hint bro.

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022
I think Sway, and his agent have overplayed their hand, Sway who had support from the fans originally is starting to lose support. Remember the fans all have their favorite players, but bottom line they are hockey fans and that means watching and supporting their " TEAM" first.
No fan should be rooting for management to play hard ball with one of their core pieces. This isn’t a Jake DeBrusk you’re talking about it’s the future netminder you think will get you a cup. If the Bruins shit the bed will you give the brass a standing ovation and and be thankful they held firm?

Team has the cap room, absolutely zero talent coming up that will require a big day and stars don’t come up in UFA, only guys you need to overpay like Lindholm, Zadorov, Stephenson, Compher etc

If Swayman cried about us being mean in arbitration what is going to happen if he caves and takes our offer or close to it?

The fanbase won’t have any sympathy if he pouts about making 6 mil vs 10. He should just take a 1 year deal and earn a bigger contract next year. We have the cap room and won’t give it to him take a hint bro.
So trade him. Give him 2 years so he can be a UFA then. What’s that? Brass doesn’t have the balls?

NeelyDan

Spot-Picker
Sponsor
Jun 28, 2010
Dundas, Ontario
A lot of you seem to be under the impression that this is self-serving (solely) by Sway, when the reality is (whether you buy it or not) he may feel he’s doing something bigger picture for his goaltender colleagues - if that’s the case, your qualm is with altruism and not Jeremy

• Love
Reactions: SwayHeyKid

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
A lot of you seem to be under the impression that this is self-serving (solely) by Sway, when the reality is (whether you buy it or not) he may feel he’s doing something bigger picture for his goaltender colleagues - if that’s the case, your qualm is with altruism and not Jeremy
So he is putting his goaltender colleagues ahead of his teammates, so mini poll do you side with colleague argument or the teammate side of the argument........I am on the teammate side.

Scotto74

taking a break
Oct 7, 2005
Kingston, MA
All these young guys are overpaid. Why is Faber paid only 500k less than Cale Makar?

Gibson got that deal five years ago and hasn’t played a playoff game since. 8x8.5 is the way to go. If you can get him to 8 do it
I would be okay at $8M for sure. I understand Gibson got that a while ago i was just responding to the statement that players his age or younger were getting big paydays. That is not the case with goalies and the fact Gibson is the second highest on the list and got that payday 5 years ago and no other young goalie since has been given more supports that even more then pure numbers.

Reactions: SwayHeyKid

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022
So he is putting his goaltender colleagues ahead of his teammates, so mini poll do you side with colleague argument or the teammate side of the argument........I am on the teammate side.
Not one of his teammates care about that. They respect his right to get paid and players in all sports separate business from sport, unlike the fans.

Bruins fanbase must have a load of business owners within it to be so anti-labor. Impressive.

No horton trade and no 2011 cup as well.

Reactions: barriers

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010
First time weighing in on this, usually I side with the players but this time it is trickier. If Swayman is shooting for the moon Sweeney has to take a stand. As much as we all like Swayman he hasn't yet proven he can handle a heavier workload and shouldn't be paid as high as guys like Hellebuck Saros, etc who have proven year after year that they can successfully handle the high workloads.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
I also want to know why I haven't seen one person call Elias Lindholm or Nikita Zadorov selfish. Why is an overpriced free agent deal not some sort of personal failing worthy of scorn but Jeremy Swayman is a selfish dickhead? Why didn't Lindholm or Zadorov sign for a lot less? Why didn't they take team friendly deals? What teh f*** have they ever done for the Boston Bruins? Jeremy Swayman has done a shit ton, but he's the bad guy and they're swell fellas?

"Well, they were free agents and he's restricted."

If they cared about winning they wouldn't have handicapped the Bs with these high-priced deals, right? Or does that only go one (s)way when we want to shit all over a talented homegrown kid who has never given us a reason to root against him?

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Listening to NHL network radio this morning, and they mentioned that Sweeney likely rehearsed his comments regarding Bissonette in advance.

I find it really interesting that he threw out December 1st as well.

Say what you will about Sweeney, but he’s a very talented spin doctor. Nothing he says is by accident. He’s no dummy.

There’s definitely a game of chicken being played, and it will be interesting to see how this plays out.

This organization will never overcome the cheap label in our lifetimes, but they are a cap team ever since the cap went into effect.

How they allocate their cap space precedence they set with guys that are restricted are another matter entirely.

I definitely felt that the Dec 1st line was a subtle shot at the agent, to let him know they're prepared to wait that long if needed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad