Player Discussion Jeremy Swayman IV - even more nothing

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

LiseL

Sep 25, 2023
His agent Gross has been holding a grudge against Donny so what a surprise he takes an L and tells Sway he got hosed

The rumors are all Gross - that’s the issue that’s what Sweeney brought up

He’s probably signed shortly

Swayman has told people privately he’s good with Sweeney and vice versa ~ they want him here he wants to be here

This is just a little dust up with Sweeney having his say

Gross pulls this BS and it probably cost Krug a lifelong Bruins

I’m team Sway but today was really interesting
Sens fan here. Shane Pinto has the same agent. I remember before Steve Staois signed him to his bridge deal this summer, Gross was shopping Pinto for an offer sheet. I believe SS went for a bridge deal due to cap constraints. I also think Pinto wanted to stay with the Sens so that worked in our favor. Wish you luck with this as Swayman is a beast.

I'll also be curious to see how Korpi does under Boston's D system play and goalie coach Bob. I expect his numbers to be much better than last year in Ottawa as they only started focusing on defensive play after Jacques Martin became the new coach. It was a vicious cycle: team play affected the goalies confidence, goalies play affected the players confidence (and round and round it went).

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
Bussi vs Diepetro. Anything is possible.

Swayman and his agent have absolutely no leverage in this negotiation. Other than Swayman sitting out the year.
I would say Swayman has no leverage unless the goalies struggle. If they struggle there will be a lot of pressure on Sweeney to sign Sway. Conversely, if Bussi and/or Korpisalo do well Swayman is in trouble.

Hopefully it doesn't come to that and we see a deal before the games start.

Last edited:

AlpineLager

The way she *** goes
Jul 4, 2007
New Brunswick
Feeling conflicted. Wish we knew wtf was going on. On one side feels like a massive failure on the Bruins part.

On the other hand if Jeremy wants 9 million + aav after playing a few half seasons maybe he should watch from the press box.

Probably a bit of both. Embarrassing.

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022
I would say Swayman has no leverage unless the goalies struggle. If they struggle there will be a lot of pressure on Sweeney to sign Sway. Conversely, if Bussi and/or Korpisalo do well Swayman is in trouble.

No leverage other than the fact he’s light years better than Korpisalo and Bussi and if they have any aspirations of being successful they should get him in asap

Reactions: EverettMike

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
I'm guessing we won't see Donny make a guest appearance on Spittin' Chiclets anytime soon. :biglaugh:
"My kid is a big fan" is some great shade

Sitting out and hoping the team struggles in your absence ain't a great look. Folks in Boston and around the league would remember it.

Fenian24

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Sinden would have traded Thornton....no question.
Would he have got a better return? maybe.
Would he have signed Chara and Savard, with the freed up cap space? Doubt it.
This is one of the many bits of revisionist history from the Thornton trade that management (Sinden and MOC) have always sold. There was no cap when Thornton was dealt, the return was awful because O'Connell never should have been GM and was horribly out of his league.

Signing Chara and Savard had nothing to do with Thornton, it had to do with a half empty building, declining interest in the team and beer sales struggling.

Aussie Bruin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus

I don't really like Biz but he's a dangerous enemy. If he gets any sense that a player is being screwed over he'll go hard after the allegedly offending party. And that podcast as a whole doesn't muck around in defending their reputation and accuracy, such as it may be. I'd say the chances of Sweeney appearing on it are barely above zero, but clearly they're not going to let this go either way. Watch this space I suppose.

Eddie Munson

This year is my year. I can feel it. ‘86 baby!
Jul 11, 2008
I don't really like Biz but he's a dangerous enemy. If he gets any sense that a player is being screwed over he'll go hard after the allegedly offending party. And that podcast as a whole doesn't muck around in defending their reputation and accuracy, such as it may be. I'd say the chances of Sweeney appearing on it are barely above zero, but clearly they're not going to let this go either way. Watch this space I suppose.

I like Biz and Whit but they’re entertainers not journalists or insiders. If I’m Sweeney I don’t give them the time of day or you risk sending the message that they’re a legit trusted source.

Nothing wrong with their podcast, but they should stick with interviewing former and current players versus trying to break stories.

Aussie Bruin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
I like Biz and Whit but they’re entertainers not journalists or insiders. If I’m Sweeney I don’t give them the time of day or you risk sending the message that they’re a legit trusted source.

Nothing wrong with their podcast, but they should stick with interviewing former and current players versus trying to break stories.

Agreed. Trouble is breaking stories, or even just putting tasty rumours out there, is understandably hard to resist as it's good for business. And those guys are well connected so they often have stuff to work with. I think the Babcock incident, while very different to this, also showed they have real power in the hockey world.

So far, no real harm done. A claim was made, it's been refuted. A little heat in it but nothing too nasty. Sweens can sit tight for the moment. Ball's in the Chiclets' court now to substantiate their allegations.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
No chance Sweeney will give the Chiclets podcast even a response to their offer. Nor should he. I’m critical of Sweeney but there’s no reason for him to concern himself with those guys. Not worth it.

Clode

Aug 2, 2012
Derry, NH

Tbf they did break the Babcock story and Biz was calling Berube to the Leafs like a month before it happened so they aren't completely clueless

Reactions: Pia8988

Dhockey16

Jun 23, 2011
Erie, Pennsylvania

5 years ago, sure, they were just former players shooting the shit. At this point they're all three of those things - primarily entertainers, but also journalists and insiders. Whitney had an awards ballot this year - I think that qualifies him as a journalist. There's no way they double down if they're not sure of things here, it would materially hurt their reputation much more than Sweeney denying a report would hurt his. Really dumb of him to go after those guys, even dumber to issue a flat denial.

No chance Sweeney will give the Chiclets podcast even a response to their offer. Nor should he. I’m critical of Sweeney but there’s no reason for him to concern himself with those guys. Not worth it.
He probably shouldn't have commented on the report at all. Seems like he pretty clearly mismanaged this

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Tbf they did break the Babcock story and Biz was calling Berube to the Leafs like a month before it happened so they aren't completely clueless
Yes but first and foremost they are entertainers. Very good at what they do but it’s all sensationalist in nature. Can’t fault them for jumping all over this story but nobody is listening to them for their integrity. They’re just a fun listen and have a knack for getting their interviewees to really let loose
He probably shouldn't have commented on the report at all. Seems like he pretty clearly mismanaged this
Agree completely.

Reactions: Dhockey16

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
Don sweeney holding firm and not budging. Love it
Ignorant Habs fan coming in peace... wth is up with this holdout? Like who in their right mind is gonna hold the Bruins [org] at ransom? This a 100yo organization, with elite talent (consistently) signing for team friendly deals to maintain competitiveness.
You shipped Jumbo Joe, marooned Seguin.. they didn't fit the MO, and I loved it! The minute an org caves (leafs) is the minute the message (to all players) is established; its just a business... but it's not... i am blown away at the greed and pure insanity Swayman is pulling..
$10M ?? Even Price killed the Habs with his pathetic contract.. what don't players understand? Boggling.

I really hope Sweeny holds tight.. ef u Swayman, go to Utah and get your money. Ive gotten to and age now, where the O6 deserves more. We built this league, us, our rivalries and bloodshed produced the greatest "live" sport in the world.
Eff all of them..

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Ignorant Habs fan coming in peace... wth is up with this holdout? Like who in their right mind is gonna hold the Bruins [org] at ransom? This a 100yo organization, with elite talent (consistently) signing for team friendly deals to maintain competitiveness.
You shipped Jumbo Joe, marooned Seguin.. they didn't fit the MO, and I loved it! The minute an org caves (leafs) is the minute the message (to all players) is established; its just a business... but it's not... i am blown away at the greed and pure insanity Swayman is pulling..
$10M ?? Even Price killed the Habs with his pathetic contract.. what don't players understand? Boggling.

I really hope Sweeny holds tight.. ef u Swayman, go to Utah and get your money. Ive gotten to and age now, where the O6 deserves more. We built this league, us, our rivalries and bloodshed produced the greatest "live" sport in the world.
Eff all of them..
No thank you

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
Regardless, pretty clear that Gross plays hard ball, is seemingly not afraid to play a bit dirty too, highly likely he is not Don's favourite agent to deal with. But he is not there to win friends, he's there to get the best deal for his client, by whatever means necessary. What the client has to hope is his own career is not damaged in the process.
This comes with a caveat. A good businessman knows how to be fair, typically playing the long game... small wins on each transaction add up, and without any animosity, it helps for future deals.

If Im a GM picking in the top 10, Ill be avoiding whichever player has Gross as his agent.. this could be very costly for players to consider him..

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON

With the Bruins defense, most goalies are going to look very good.. .915sv%.. how much more does a .925sv% cost?

Reactions: PlayMakers

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad