Player Discussion Jeremy Swayman III- still nothing

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida
The 32 Thoughts podcast that was posted this morning has some interesting thoughts on the Swayman contract situation starting at about the 10 minute mark. No news really, but analysis into the way the Bruins have handled the situation. Friedman is about as careful, measured, and political as any reporter/insider, so you have to kind of read between the lines on what he is saying.

Bruins4Lifer

Jun 28, 2006
Regina, SK
The 32 Thoughts podcast that was posted this morning has some interesting thoughts on the Swayman contract situation starting at about the 10 minute mark. No news really, but analysis into the way the Bruins have handled the situation. Friedman is about as careful, measured, and political as any reporter/insider, so you have to kind of read between the lines on what he is saying.
Yeah, it's one of the things I hate about Friedman. He very often speaks to give off an allure that he knows some information but is holding it back, when it's also very likely he has no new information and is just giving his opinion, but trying not to make it look like it's an opinion.

It was a short segment but a waste of time today, unless you value his opinion that if the Bruins had a time machine they would have went back to the start of the summer and taken Swayman to arbitration at let him pick a 1 or 2 year deal.

Mad-Marcus

Apr 26, 2002
Seacoast, NH
What would ever make you think he will fold? He's been an underdog his whole life. He will thrive as the #1 goalie for the Boston Bruins for a long time.

Also why is he difficult? Do you walk into your bosses office and bend over when it's time for your raise or contract? But he should right?
Because the pressure in Boston is so much less than in Maine:D

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
I don't see a chance in hell Boston agrees with two. And getting to the number on a rising cap on an 8 year deal when Swayman's resume is limited sure seems hard. A four year deal takes Swayman to 29 where he won't be too old to demand an 8 year deal with a more established resume. By then, if the cap keeps going up 4 million or so a year, he could easily ask for 8x10.

So let's just say he does 4x6 now and 8x10 then to be conservative. That's 104m over 12 years. I don't see how he gets 104m over the next 12 years if he signs an 8x8ish year deal now. Just don't see how he banks on being able to make up that 40 million bucks at 33 years old.

I honestly think a four year deal between 6 and 7 is the smart move for both sides, which is why its so easy to find comps in that range for Swayman's age and experience level.

There is some logic here, but I actually think the incentive on both sides is to do an 8 year deal for just a slightly higher cap hit, like $7.5.

Swayman is the real deal. His lowest save percentage in his recorded playing history from the time he was 14 years old is .910 (and .914 for any season over 20 games). That is absolutely unheard of consistency. He was utterly dominant in the playoffs this year. While nothing is ever a sure bet in professional sports, Swayman is as good a bet as you will find for a goaltender to continue playing at his current level for a long time.

In short, the Bruins would be wise to lock him in for 8 years and get what is likely to be the best goaltender in the NHL over that time for a reasonable rate.

For Swayman, accepting $60million or so in guaranteed money is never a mistake, especially in a profession where injuries can derail any career.

Reactions: nORRis8

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Yeah, it's one of the things I hate about Friedman. He very often speaks to give off an allure that he knows some information but is holding it back, when it's also very likely he has no new information and is just giving his opinion, but trying not to make it look like it's an opinion.

It was a short segment but a waste of time today, unless you value his opinion that if the Bruins had a time machine they would have went back to the start of the summer and taken Swayman to arbitration at let him pick a 1 or 2 year deal.
I speak Friedman.

Simple translations:

“I’m told…” = first hand knowledge

“I believe…” = second hand rumor

“I wonder if…” = just his opinion

There are more subtleties but that covers most of it.

Mad-Marcus

Apr 26, 2002
Seacoast, NH
There has been no pressure of playing under a big money contract in his career. While I expect it shouldn't be a problem. No one knows. Not even you.
You assume a lot in most of your posts. I hope you're spot, I really do. But if you wrong, giving him what you insist he's worth, could cripple the franchise for years. Stuck with a big contract/slide in performance or injury. Then the expectation of paying future young high end players on the 2nd big contract.(I don't consider arbitration a good will agreed upon deal. One party is always butt hurt.)
He shouldn't need top 3 money to be happy at this point of his career. That just greed talking, through either himself or his agent.

Lets just get him signed, 7-8/yr is on the high side of history, but should be enough to keep him happy. The higher it goes, the less protections he should get. Considering there are rumblings about a another future strike/lockout. This is Bettman they're dealing with and if he is told, by the governors, the owners are not making their "nut", he will act in their best interests, not the players.

Last edited:

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022
There has been no pressure of playing under a big money contract in his career. While I expect it shouldn't be a problem. No one knows. Not even you.
You assume a lot in most of your posts. I hope you're spot, I really do. But if you wrong, giving him what you insist he's worth, could cripple the franchise for years. Stuck with a big contract/slide in performance or injury. Then the expectation of paying future young high end players on the 2nd big contract.(I don't consider arbitration a good will agreed upon deal. One party is always butt hurt.)
He shouldn't need top 3 money to be happy at this point of his career. That just greed talking, through either himself or his agent.

Lets just get him signed, 7-8/yr is on the high side of history, but should be enough to keep him happy. The higher it goes, the less protections he should get. Considering there are rumblings about a another future strike/lockout. This sis Bettman they're dealing with and if he is told, by the governors, the owners are not making their "nut", he will act in their best interests, not the players.
good stuff. I just don't feel he's a huge risk tbh. I get it though

Reactions: Carl Hungus

Mad-Marcus

Apr 26, 2002
Seacoast, NH
Respect dude. I hope for him and the team t works out. He's a stud. I'm just old enough to have seen bad contract given out in all 4 big sports.

I've believe we was the next great B's goalie from his time in Orono. 9-10M is rather selfish when you haven't won anything....yet.

If the B's insist on the contract being in the 6's, then this is on them.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018

Lets just get him signed, 7-8/yr is on the high side of history, but should be enough to keep him happy. The higher it goes, the less protections he should get. Considering there are rumblings about a another future strike/lockout. This sis Bettman they're dealing with and if he is told, by the governors, the owners are not making their "nut", he will act in their best interests, not the players.
I am not concerned about Swaymans, ability to do the job, or not being able to handle the pressure, I am more worried about the load he must handle, and always the injury possibility, which will always be there with an increased chance with the heavier load, and also carrying that heavier load into the playoffs. I do not believe most Bruins fans; do not believe he is not a talented young goaltender.

Reactions: Mad-Marcus

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
There is some logic here, but I actually think the incentive on both sides is to do an 8 year deal for just a slightly higher cap hit, like $7.5.

Swayman is the real deal. His lowest save percentage in his recorded playing history from the time he was 14 years old is .910 (and .914 for any season over 20 games). That is absolutely unheard of consistency. He was utterly dominant in the playoffs this year. While nothing is ever a sure bet in professional sports, Swayman is as good a bet as you will find for a goaltender to continue playing at his current level for a long time.

In short, the Bruins would be wise to lock him in for 8 years and get what is likely to be the best goaltender in the NHL over that time for a reasonable rate.

For Swayman, accepting $60million or so in guaranteed money is never a mistake, especially in a profession where injuries can derail any career.

Yeah it's the 8 year deal where you can see there being more contention.

Swayman would be *potentially* leaving a lot of money on the table if he went 8 years now. But, he also for sure gets a really big payday now. How to balance the potential lost salary against the risk mitigation is hard. If you are Swayman, you want your cake and to eat it, too, so you are going to ask for more than 7.5. But at that point you are really swinging the risk pendulum more and more towards Boston's side, and Boston is going to push back on this.

I would love if a 8x7.5 deal was announced. Fingers crossed.

I just think its a harder deal to make than the 4 year one where Swayman gets 25ish million bucks, the Bruins get an easy to contain cap hit, and Swayman has a chance to cash in again at 29 with UFA bargaining power and an assumed even stronger resume. There is just less risk and bets in a shorter term deal to have to negotiate thru.

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
Yeah it's the 8 year deal where you can see there being more contention.

Swayman would be *potentially* leaving a lot of money on the table if he went 8 years now. But, he also for sure gets a really big payday now. How to balance the potential lost salary against the risk mitigation is hard. If you are Swayman, you want your cake and to eat it, too, so you are going to ask for more than 7.5. But at that point you are really swinging the risk pendulum more and more towards Boston's side, and Boston is going to push back on this.

I would love if a 8x7.5 deal was announced. Fingers crossed.

I just think its a harder deal to make than the 4 year one where Swayman gets 25ish million bucks, the Bruins get an easy to contain cap hit, and Swayman has a chance to cash in again at 29 with UFA bargaining power and an assumed even stronger resume. There is just less risk and bets in a shorter term deal to have to negotiate thru.

I absolutely get your rationale here. Personally, for me, this would be a no-brainer - take the $60+ million to play hockey for 8 years rather than $25m and worrying about what happens over the next four years. But I recognize not everyone thinks alike and a lot of athletes seem to want to stretch for that last dollar.

Reactions: wintersej

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
For 4 mil, and 2 years, big difference than 9-10 mil for 8 years, maybe that should be taken into consideration.

Except oettingers contract is up after this year season and he will be looking for an $8m+ a year deal.

So he will be in the exact same boat as swayman in 8 months

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
Except oettingers contract is up after this year season and he will be looking for an $8m+ a year deal.

So he will be in the exact same boat as swayman in 8 months
Except that he has proven he can carry the load, and carried it into the playoffs.

Oettinger just put up a .905 season behind a good team. He's going to have to play out of his mind this year to even consider asking anything close to that much.
You conveniently left out his playoff stats.....but that's ok did not mean to upset the applecart

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad