Player Discussion Jeremy Swayman III- still nothing

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
You are trying to make a legitimate point, but you failed to mention Pasta and McAvoy and, I do not hear any complaints coming from E. Lindholm. Look I, am not anti Swayman, I am just the opposite, I would love to see him playing for the Bruins this year. I need to ask does anyone believe that there is not some lingering bitterness left over from last year's negotiations. Dom has mentioned Sways agent and he could be right, did he not prepare his agent and make sure that he understood the proceedings. Swayman might be a little sensitive and cannot get over what was said. Agent also has had tough talks in the past with the Bruins with the Krug contracts. Maybe Swayman, should question his agent about that............
This is such a one sided point. Most people in management positions know that the people in their workforce are humans with emotions. Most people in management get professional training on how to manage staff. Maybe Jacobs should've prepared Sweeney for being a GM by making him take some of those courses, so he'd learn that maybe it's more important to make sure your most vital employees are happy, than some new guy joining the company all of a sudden. Simple management 101, surprised Harvard doesn't teach it.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
This is such a one sided point. Most people in management positions know that the people in their workforce are humans with emotions. Most people in management get professional training on how to manage staff. Maybe Jacobs should've prepared Sweeney for being a GM by making him take some of those courses, so he'd learn that maybe it's more important to make sure your most vital employees are happy, than some new guy joining the company all of a sudden. Simple management 101, surprised Harvard doesn't teach it.
Would Yzerman and Nill need to join that same class? Is it virtual or do they have to go in person?

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Pastrnak and McAvoy had much more NHL experience when they signed their big contract. Maybe some teams will put out the big money with limited experience but that is not in the Bruins DNA.
Right, Bruins DNA is to overpay for a guy who already gave his best years to another organization and then sign him for too long. I guess that's smarter than locking up a young franchise player.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
We have the cap room for him I think if the organization doesn't want to cave on AAV they should just give Swayman the term he wants. Do a 2 year deal and negotiate next summer again. RFA vs UFA means a lot in this case but guys get paid at Swaymans age especially on bad teams like Anaheim or Ottawa. If you're not giving him the 8 year deal he wants do a 1-2 year one. He was lights out in the playoffs and is in his peak prime already its not like he's still developing.

Reactions: gerrycheeversmask

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I mean all the comps of young elite goalies coming in at less than that are more recent than the Rask comp.

Under 7 for 4 years
Under 8 for 6 years
Under 9 for 8 years.
Which comps? You’re picking the ones you find favorable and his team is picking vastly different comps. Which is why they’re dumb. It’s on the team to negotiate and I can tell you he’s getting more than 7. If they were only 500k Or so apart, he’d have signed by now.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

PLYMOUTH — Bruins past and present gathered Thursday for the annual Boston Bruins Foundation golf tournament at Pinehills Golf Club, though the organization’s most talked-about player these days did not tee it up.

Restricted free agent Jeremy Swayman remains unsigned, as the team and the goaltender have yet to find common ground on a new contract.

Bruins captain Brad Marchand acknowledged that Swayman’s status is the most frequent question he has fielded this summer.

“It’s a big topic of conversation with the fans and the media, and this is part of the business, and we all are really looking forward to when it does get done and the process is over and he is back with the group,” said Marchand.
“But that’s obviously out of our hands and we don’t get involved in any of that. So it’ll be great when everything gets kind of squared away.”

Swayman, who has been a regular at Warrior Arena this summer and participated in a pair of captain’s practices last week, played for $3.475 million last season after going through salary arbitration. The 25-year-old goalie did not elect to go that route this season.

Coach Jim Montgomery declined to comment on Swayman’s contract status, deferring to general manager Don Sweeney.

“That’s not my area of expertise,” he said. “It’s Don’s.”

With the Bruins set to open training camp Wednesday, Montgomery said Swayman’s status will not affect how he will go about divvying up playing time.

“Not really, because we have really two more exhibition games,” the coach said, noting that the Bruins usually play their veterans in the last preseason games. “We have the [Black and Gold] scrimmage, where we’ll get to see almost every goalie in camp, and then we have the extra exhibition game [against the Kings in Quebec City Oct. 3], so I think we’re going to get enough opportunity for every goalie to show us what he can do as a Bruin.”

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Which comps? You’re picking the ones you find favorable and his team is picking vastly different comps. Which is why they’re dumb. It’s on the team to negotiate and I can tell you he’s getting more than 7. If they were only 500k Or so apart, he’d have signed by now.

Helly, Shesterkin, Saros, Demko

I mean those are the comps for 25 year old ish young potential elite goalies that got a new deal. It's not about cherry picking, that's the list of guys signed under similar circumstances to Swayman in the last 10 years. Vasi was much much more proven (had started 65 games, a Vezina and multiple top 3 finishes, etc) when he got his deal. Sorokin was a rookie at 25 so he was much less proven when he took a 3x4 deal. Similarly, Oettinger was less proven when he took 3x4.

All those other guys took deals between 4 and 6 years and between 5 and 7 million (in todays cap dollars).

None of those comps could come to term on an 8 year deal for all the reasons it's hard to do with Swayman. Instead, they all signed deals where they could cash in again at 29ish years old when they had more of a completed resume.

Last edited:

Eddie Munson

This year is my year. I can feel it. ‘86 baby!
Jul 11, 2008
The comps are kind of all over the place on this one. Saros to me is the most comparable. Their starts and stats from years 23-25 are very similar. Both received Vezina votes in their age 25 years. Both were platooned over that time frame. Saros took a 4x$5m extension and then went on the be the de facto starter eventually inking that $7.74AAV deal this summer.

Hellebuyck is another interesting comparable. His age 25 year he was on a one year deal worth $2.25m. That year he went on to start 78% of their games putting up great numbers and was #2 in Vezina votes. As an RFA he then signed a 6 year $6.17m deal (~$6.8m in todays AAV).

I could see Boston pointing to these two deals for their range of possible offers.

My completely uneducated guess as to how this has all gone down so far..... I think Swayman probably wants 8 years and $7m++ and Boston probably is leery knowing he has never started 50% or more of games in a season. I could see Boston saying they're be more comfortable at that number for 4 years. I think Swayman's camp comes back and says if you want less years then we'll just take 2 years walking him to free agency giving him all the control in the next negotiations, something I assume Sweeney is trying to avoid doing again so soon.

Reactions: PB37

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut

PLYMOUTH — Bruins past and present gathered Thursday for the annual Boston Bruins Foundation golf tournament at Pinehills Golf Club, though the organization’s most talked-about player these days did not tee it up.

Restricted free agent Jeremy Swayman remains unsigned, as the team and the goaltender have yet to find common ground on a new contract.

Bruins captain Brad Marchand acknowledged that Swayman’s status is the most frequent question he has fielded this summer.

“It’s a big topic of conversation with the fans and the media, and this is part of the business, and we all are really looking forward to when it does get done and the process is over and he is back with the group,” said Marchand.
“But that’s obviously out of our hands and we don’t get involved in any of that. So it’ll be great when everything gets kind of squared away.”

Swayman, who has been a regular at Warrior Arena this summer and participated in a pair of captain’s practices last week, played for $3.475 million last season after going through salary arbitration. The 25-year-old goalie did not elect to go that route this season.

Coach Jim Montgomery declined to comment on Swayman’s contract status, deferring to general manager Don Sweeney.

“That’s not my area of expertise,” he said. “It’s Don’s.”

With the Bruins set to open training camp Wednesday, Montgomery said Swayman’s status will not affect how he will go about divvying up playing time.

“Not really, because we have really two more exhibition games,” the coach said, noting that the Bruins usually play their veterans in the last preseason games. “We have the [Black and Gold] scrimmage, where we’ll get to see almost every goalie in camp, and then we have the extra exhibition game [against the Kings in Quebec City Oct. 3], so I think we’re going to get enough opportunity for every goalie to show us what he can do as a Bruin.”

Its kind of funny when you look at it....

Swayman - "I know that it will take care of itself with time and all I can do is control how I'm going to be a better goalie for the Boston Bruins this year,"

Sweeney - "It’s a priority now and it will continue to be a priority until we get that across the finish line, He’s a big part of our current team and the run he went on in the playoffs, and our future."

Teammates - "we all are really looking forward to when it does get done and the process is over and he is back with the group"

Media & Bruins Fan.....

giphy.gif

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
The comps are kind of all over the place on this one. Saros to me is the most comparable. Their starts and stats from years 23-25 are very similar. Both received Vezina votes in their age 25 years. Both were platooned over that time frame. Saros took a 4x$5m extension and then went on the be the de facto starter eventually inking that $7.74AAV deal this summer.

Hellebuyck is another interesting comparable. His age 25 year he was on a one year deal worth $2.25m. That year he went on to start 78% of their games putting up great numbers and was #2 in Vezina votes. As an RFA he then signed a 6 year $6.17m deal (~$6.8m in todays AAV).

I could see Boston pointing to these two deals for their range of possible offers.

My completely uneducated guess as to how this has all gone down so far..... I think Swayman probably wants 8 years and $7m++ and Boston probably is leery knowing he has never started 50% or more of games in a season. I could see Boston saying they're be more comfortable at that number for 4 years. I think Swayman's camp comes back and says if you want less years then we'll just take 2 years walking him to free agency giving him all the control in the next negotiations, something I assume Sweeney is trying to avoid doing again so soon.

I don't see a chance in hell Boston agrees with two. And getting to the number on a rising cap on an 8 year deal when Swayman's resume is limited sure seems hard. A four year deal takes Swayman to 29 where he won't be too old to demand an 8 year deal with a more established resume. By then, if the cap keeps going up 4 million or so a year, he could easily ask for 8x10.

So let's just say he does 4x6 now and 8x10 then to be conservative. That's 104m over 12 years. I don't see how he gets 104m over the next 12 years if he signs an 8x8ish year deal now. Just don't see how he banks on being able to make up that 40 million bucks at 33 years old.

I honestly think a four year deal between 6 and 7 is the smart move for both sides, which is why its so easy to find comps in that range for Swayman's age and experience level.

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022
Seems like an an incredibly difficult player and once he gets his deal wonder if he fold under the pressure of a max deal
What would ever make you think he will fold? He's been an underdog his whole life. He will thrive as the #1 goalie for the Boston Bruins for a long time.

Also why is he difficult? Do you walk into your bosses office and bend over when it's time for your raise or contract? But he should right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad