Player Discussion Jeremy Swayman III- still nothing

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
so 1.5-2mil more is a huge deal with a high salary cap but is Korpisalo's 3 mil is ok? I'm not sure I get your logic? You have decided he's not worth 10 mil aav? Why not? What if the bulk of the money is years 3-6? Use the Vasi deal as kind of a guide. You're worry about 5 to 6 years from now instead of today? What's the logic? If he's not worth it to you what do you do with him? Deal him? Go with what you have? Let him hold out? Why not let his years 27-30 be his high income years, that starts in 2026-27, surely a shrewd move now with a 25 year old top goalie in the league no?
Who cares when the cash is paid? It’s about AAV.

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022
Who cares when the cash is paid? It’s about AAV.
Agreed that was my point. 10 mil in 4 years is like 7 now. You make up the AAV on the back end when salaries continue to rise. 8mil 10mil AAV who cares get this guy in. He’s 25. No idea why the Bruins front office are looking for a “win” on this

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Agreed that was my point. 10 mil in 4 years is like 7 now. You make up the AAV on the back end when salaries continue to rise. 8mil 10mil AAV who cares get this guy in. He’s 25. No idea why the Bruins front office are looking for a “win” on this
That doesn’t really make much sense but ok.

I do care what we pay players. Every dollar given to Swayman reduces what we can pay others. Why would we possibly pay $10M per year?

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022
That doesn’t really make much sense but ok.

I do care what we pay players. Every dollar given to Swayman reduces what we can pay others. Why would we possibly pay $10M per year?
Every dollar you give him reduces fringe player salaries. You’re not losing a superstar when it comes down to it You pay your core pieces because they clearly never become available on the market. The 10 mil is hypothetical. He reportedly wanted McAvoy money, what’s the issue with that? Hypothetically they decline and come together say 2/3 years 8 mil AAV. He’s bent and leaves after as a 28 yo. Is it all worth it to play hard ball now is what I’m asking? I say no. His value is way closer to 9.5 per over 8 than 6.5

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Every dollar you give him reduces fringe player salaries. You’re not losing a superstar when it comes down to it You pay your core pieces because they clearly never become available on the market. The 10 mil is hypothetical. He reportedly wanted McAvoy money, what’s the issue with that? Hypothetically they decline and come together say 2/3 years 8 mil AAV. He’s bent and leaves after as a 28 yo. Is it all worth it to play hard ball now is what I’m asking? I say no. His value is way closer to 9.5 per over 8 than 6.5
How have you decided his value? $9.5 is an incredibly high number for a goaltender with his resume. How are you determining he’s worth that?

And you can’t just say every dollar reduces fringe player salaries - that’s too reductive. An extra $2M a year to spend is pretty significant, as we’ve seen recently.

Mad-Marcus

Apr 26, 2002
Seacoast, NH
His next contract is worth that money, not this one. He's great I love'm but he hasn't earned it yet.

By 28 you figure he's figured out where you play comfort wise vs the money evens out.
They just went through this with Pasta an guess what his 2nd contract wasn't top of market, his 3rd was.(relatively, lets not be pedantic)

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022
How have you decided his value? $9.5 is an incredibly high number for a goaltender with his resume. How are you determining he’s worth that?

And you can’t just say every dollar reduces fringe player salaries - that’s too reductive. An extra $2M a year to spend is pretty significant, as we’ve seen recently.
Their extra 2 mil this year is going to a bad goalie. I hear the Goalie Bob stuff, but wouldn't that mean Bussi would be a better option at sub 1 since he's such a great coach?

Reactions: BTO and Dr Quincy

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Maybe because of the limited Cap space?
Then they shouldn't have traded for Korpisalo. Strange that we are arguin about 1-2 million more for Swayman but just accepting the poop sandwich that is Korpisalo and his contract. It's odd that the line that we draw on salaries is arguably the most important asset in the organization.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Then they shouldn't have traded for Korpisalo. Strange that we are arguin about 1-2 million more for Swayman but just accepting the poop sandwich that is Korpisalo and his contract. It's odd that the line that we draw on salaries is arguably the most important asset in the organization.
So give him $9.5M then?

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut

What's this mean? Honestly don't get the point.

Send korpisalo down and letteri. 11 mil in space

Letteri?

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
McAvoy worked his way up to his contract, Sway thinks he should get a contract like McAvoy on promise that he will be worth it, sorry I am not from Missouri, but I am a show type guy. Who are those "FRINGE PLAYERS " you mentioned?

Reactions: YukonCornelius

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
When it comes to our best players I sort of don't give a shit about "saving" cap space, because it never seems to matter. I spent years watching this general manager abso-f***ing-lutley squander having the best line in hockey for at least 9 million less on the cap than he should have. (Credit to him for that!) Stars kept giving hometown discounts only to see the team, year after year after year, have giant holes in the lineup. What did Patrice Bergeron or Brad Marchand ever get from giving up money? Matt Beleskey? David Krejci not having a top 6 winger? Overpaid bottom pairing d-men signed for way too many years?

I love Swayman. He's a fantastic goalie entering his prime and I believe in him. I get the risks, truly, but if they "overpay" by a million or two it won't actually change anything, including the fallout if he doesn't play well.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
When it comes to our best players I sort of don't give a shit about "saving" cap space, because it never seems to matter. I spent years watching this general manager abso-f***ing-lutley squander having the best line in hockey for at least 9 million less on the cap than he should have. (Credit to him for that!) Stars kept giving hometown discounts only to see the team, year after year after year, have giant holes in the lineup. What did Patrice Bergeron or Brad Marchand ever get from giving up money? Matt Beleskey? David Krejci not having a top 6 winger? Overpaid bottom pairing d-men signed for way too many years?

I love Swayman. He's a fantastic goalie entering his prime and I believe in him. I get the risks, truly, but if they "overpay" by a million or two it won't actually change anything, including the fallout if he doesn't play well.
If they overpay Swayman by a mil, how are they going to be able to overpay the 6-7-8 defensemen for the next few years?

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022

Post of the year

McAvoy worked his way up to his contract, Sway thinks he should get a contract like McAvoy on promise that he will be worth it, sorry I am not from Missouri, but I am a show type guy. Who are those "FRINGE PLAYERS " you mentioned?
Your 6th defenseman, your back up goalie. Carrying 23 instead of 22

Reactions: EverettMike

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut

McAvoy's 3rd contract was his 8yr contract. He signed his 8yr deal the day before the 2021 season started and had 4 seasons under his belt. Swayman is now going to be on his 3rd contract and has 3 seasons under his belt (4 if you want to count his 10 games he played the year he signed).

yazmybaby

Sep 13, 2015
Brampton ON, Canada
If I am Swayman, I am starting the negotiations at 8.5M a year.
CH is making 8.5 and IS making 8.25M
CH is not a fair comp, since he has played over 500 games.
IS is a fair comp. They have the same SVPCT .919, Sway has a better GAA 2.34 vs 2.54.
Bruins are frugal and I bet they started at around 6.2M a year.
They seek common ground and settle for 7.35M a year, 4 year deal, that is my prediction.
With 8.6M left in cap space, we can afford this deal.
I think he is closer to signing than we all think.

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
7.5M I think is fair for both sides. I see zero reason to see him paid more than guys like Vasi, Hellebuyck or Sorokin. Those guys have at least won vezinas or been a vezina finalist and Swayman hasn't even had a full starters workload yet. 7.5M would still have him as the 6th highest paid goalie in the league. 5th if you take Price out of the equation.

Swayman is an awesome goalie and sure he has leverage over the team since they got rid of Ullmark but I just don't see how he can ask for more than those guys.

Beyonder

May 20, 2024
I figure, it will get done late in the process, but it will get done. The main reason being: neither side has many other or better options. The Bruins are committed to Swayman, it's not like they can pivot to somebody else without taking on a lot of risk this season. Swayman is not a UFA, he can either play for the best contract he can extract from Boston or he can sit home and not get paid. They'll battle and haggle and eventually wind up at a deal neither side fully loves, but that's often a decent outcome.

The chances that this ends up as a 2 year bridge deal seem high. If the concern is that Swayman doesn't have an extensive NHL resume, the shorter deal mitigates the risk with that. Of course, you're back at this again in 2 years and Swayman is probably in a stronger position. A bridge deal gets Swayman a big raise and he can ask for more, if things go right, in a few years.

I'd rather see him signed long term but I have to admit that it does give me pause to give him big money (to me, meaning $8M+) long term until we see him in action for a full season as the true #1. If he's serious about setting the market for goalies going forward, I'm not fully onboard that he's at that point in his career.

I primarily hope this doesn't eat into most of his training camp/preseason time - is it known whether Swayman would hold out? Don't need a Jordan Montgomery situation.

Reactions: WestCoastBruinsFan

NeelyDan

Spot-Picker
Sponsor
Jun 28, 2010
Dundas, Ontario
That wasn’t for you you’d give him $10M.

I wouldn’t give him anything with a 9 on it. I really wouldn’t go above $8.5M. And I wouldnt give that much without 6 years.

He wants 4 years then it’s no more than $7M.

Sembian wine; Cormyrian boar; Waterdhavian conversation. It's the little things you miss while on the road.

Reactions: MarchysNoseKnows
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad