Player Discussion Jeremy Swayman III- still nothing

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
"I would never pay big money for any goaltender" is a legit point of view, but I spent way too much of my Bruins fandom watching goalies who couldn't get the job done to ever feel that way. I also grew up watching Patrick Roy and Marty Brodeur winning Cups all the time and think you have more chances to break through with a great goaltender than without, so I'd rather play the odds.

It's like in the NFL, sometimes you can win a Super Bowl with Trent Dilfer or Jeff Hostetler, but does that mean you wouldn't rather a Drew Brees or Aaron Rodgers even if they also only got one each? Which pair gives you more opportunities during their career and which pair requires literally everything else to go right for a single season?

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
"I would never pay big money for any goaltender" is a legit point of view, but I spent way too much of my Bruins fandom watching goalies who couldn't get the job done to ever feel that way. I also grew up watching Patrick Roy and Marty Brodeur winning Cups all the time and think you have more chances to break through with a great goaltender than without, so I'd rather play the odds.

It's like in the NFL, sometimes you can win a Super Bowl with Trent Dilfer or Jeff Hostetler, but does that mean you wouldn't rather a Drew Brees or Aaron Rodgers even if they also only got one each? Which pair gives you more opportunities during their career and which pair requires literally everything else to go right for a single season?

Bingo. Hard pass on ever reliving the days of the Tallas, Grahame, Carey, Potvin, Toivonen merry-go-round of trash with the only 2 blips of hope being the 2 seasons where Dafoe and Raycroft went nuts out of nowhere

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Bingo. Hard pass on ever reliving the days of the Tallas, Grahame, Carey, Potvin, Toivonen merry-go-round of trash with the only 2 blips of hope being the 2 seasons where Dafoe and Raycroft went nuts out of nowhere
Yeah all respect to the guys who have done it before, but give me the young star goaltender every time.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Yeah, all you need is 2 of the 3 best players in the world to pull it off...it's soooo easy to get a Makar/MacKinnon, Crosby/Malkin, Kane/Toews/Keith.

And Binnington has a cup because ROR went God mode and destroyed Bergeron/Marchand/Pastrnak in games 4-7 with 5 goals, 7 points, +7 vs a combined 2 goals, 4 points and -5 for the Perfection Line

Are you trying to make my point for me? If so, thanks!

More than one way to win a Cup. Whichever way it's done, it ain't easy. Especially with a Cap.

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL

Fair enough. If we are gonna use NFL analogies though, I'd equate Goaltending to being the Special Teams of hockey. Not the QB.

They can bail you out when your Offense/Defense shit the bed, and they can even steal the odd game for you with a clutch kick/kick return.

• Haha
Reactions: Pia8988

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Fair enough. If we are gonna use NFL analogies though, I'd equate Goaltending to being the Special Teams of hockey. Not the QB.

They can bail you out when your Offense/Defense shit the bed, and they can even steal the odd game for you with a clutch kick/kick return.
Wow.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO

Very well said. We have been spoiled with goalies this past decade...I'd like to continue being spoiled rather than wondering "what if" because our goalies blew it again.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
I don't really want to be that guy, but my hand has been forced.

I've lived through shitty goalies and some of you clearly have not. It hurts. A lot.

It is not a luxury to have a good goalie. It's a necessity.

It's a luxury to have TWO good goalies.

He'll get signed because both sides need it. But in the meantime, please, spare me the "we don't need him" and "trade his ass to the moon" bullshit. It's silly.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com

I sort of think this is an insane comparison, but that's also why I enjoy it so much.

Reactions: RoccoF14

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022
When Boston can match Vegas, Florida and Colorado with their 1-18 then call me about not needing a great goalie. Boston is built on the goalie saving their asses.

Very well said. We have been spoiled with goalies this past decade...I'd like to continue being spoiled rather than wondering "what if" because our goalies blew it again.
Kind of like the Packers in football. They probably should have won more but going favre to Rodgers to Love is kinda like going Thomas to Rask to Swayman

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Just get the deal done its not like we can use that cap space elsewhere. Go down to 3 years if the AAV is too far apart.

With the Zadorov add Swayman basically has one hand on the Vezina already unless he misses games/camp.

Guelph Bruin

Sponsor
Mar 2, 2015
I think we all want Swayman back to see if he can continue to be the promised netminder of the future, all statistical accounts say he can ....sounds like he might have a bit of an ego (likely fed by his agent) but I'd rather have my goalie not be passive mentally. He's a risk worth taking, get it done within the constraints of the cap room we have left and I'll be a happy man. Do not give him a no trade clause.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
I think we all want Swayman back to see if he can continue to be the promised netminder of the future, all statistical accounts say he can ....sounds like he might have a bit of an ego (likely fed by his agent) but I'd rather have my goalie not be passive mentally. He's a risk worth taking, get it done within the constraints of the cap room we have left and I'll be a happy man. Do not give him a no trade clause.
Find me any contract over 2 years and $4M per year with zero trade protection. Find me any over $6M without significant trade protection.

Guelph Bruin

Sponsor
Mar 2, 2015
Find me any contract over 2 years and $4M per year with zero trade protection. Find me any over $6M without significant trade protection.
I won't but if Sway wants to set the bar for goalies in salary bridging RFA to UFA years and the term is 4+ years then I say Bruins Management set the bar by saying we'll pay you but no trade protection. Shared risk.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
I honestly do not believe it is a ego thing, but you are right about the agent, he is feeding Sway, something but a mystery what that might be. I do believe some of this might be personal, carried over from last year, and just a hunch if Sway signs it might never go away. The no trade clause might be a smart move, but I, seriously doubt that would something that would ever get in a contract.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Swayman behind this defense led by Jay Leach will be historic

I’m thinking of Bernie Parent 74-75 Flyers

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022
Gross doesn’t sound like the miserable human some here have portrayed him to be

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Latest posts