Player Discussion Jeremy Swayman III- still nothing

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
He’s young - you’re paying for future years. What has Quinton Byfield done? Or Brock Faber? You’re paying for their prime years instead of paying UFAs at 30 for their decline. Plus we have an accelerating cap.

It’s not $9.5 (Gross trying a sleight of hand to make a Swayman comp be a position player isn’t going to work) but it’s not $6M either.

bruinsfan1968

Make America United Again! Save our Democracy!
May 6, 2019
He’s young - you’re paying for future years. What has Quinton Byfield done? Or Brock Faber? You’re paying for their prime years instead of paying UFAs at 30 for their decline. Plus we have an accelerating cap.

It’s not $9.5 (Gross trying a sleight of hand to make a Swayman comp be a position player isn’t going to work) but it’s not $6M either.
There is no guarantee that the cap will accelerate as you call it, many things can happen!.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household

There are those who have a basic strategy of not valuing the goaltender position. Personally, I think that’s nuts. I never want to go through a stretch with bad goaltending that we went through 25-30 years ago. There are teams built like shit brickhouses that flop come playoff time solely because of flaky goaltending. And vice versa.

But that’s those peoples’ opinion. And a big contract for Swayman will never fly with them because the very idea conflicts with their ideal.

For everybody else? I don’t understand why what you stated is such a foreign and offensive concept. It happens all the time.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017

Exactly.

I don’t think people understand that the bruins could pay swayman 8x$8.5m a year and in 3-4 years that’s probably an 8-12 range goalie salary. The second half of that contract in swaymans late 20s / early 30s would be a massive bargain

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
Exactly.

I don’t think people understand that the bruins could pay swayman 8x$8.5m a year and in 3-4 years that’s probably an 8-12 range goalie salary. The second half of that contract in swaymans late 20s / early 30s would be a massive bargain

And calling him the X highest paid goalie when there are multiple also coming up for new deals.

8m is top 6 now and can very easily be out of the top 10 before the deal ends

Reactions: UncleRico

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Exactly.

But on the other hand $9.5M is crazy given comps etc. $8.5M is certainly a player friendly number.

BiteThisBurrows

Feb 11, 2022
Exactly.

Sure, but the other side to the equation is what if he's good but not great? How will we compete in a few years if all that money is tied up in an average NHL goalie?

I still think he deserves Sauros money on the belief that he can carry a full season and can be that good consistently but I really don't think he should get more. I'll throw out one divisional comparison (that I'm sure will draw some ire) but Swayman's save percentage was only marginally better than Ukko Pekka Luukonen from the Sabres who played on a bad defensive team but played more games than Swayman and is one year younger. Buffalo signed him for 5 years at 4.75 per. You could argue that Swayman doesn't really deserve much more with his body of work and if, down the road, those two guys are relatively equal, then the Bruins (assuming they pay Swayman the 8-9 some people want) will end up being the team in cap trouble and have trouble getting better all over and competing with that young team (if they ever get it right).

point is I don't see anything over 7 being a good deal for the team.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
Sure, but the other side to the equation is what if he's good but not great? How will we compete in a few years if all that money is tied up in an average NHL goalie?

I still think he deserves Sauros money on the belief that he can carry a full season and can be that good consistently but I really don't think he should get more. I'll throw out one divisional comparison (that I'm sure will draw some ire) but Swayman's save percentage was only marginally better than Ukko Pekka Luukonen from the Sabres who played on a bad defensive team but played more games than Swayman and is one year younger. Buffalo signed him for 5 years at 4.75 per. You could argue that Swayman doesn't really deserve much more with his body of work and if, down the road, those two guys are relatively equal, then the Bruins (assuming they pay Swayman the 8-9 some people want) will end up being the team in cap trouble and have trouble getting better all over and competing with that young team (if they ever get it right).

That's every single long term contract.

Hasn't stopped all the other mistakes. Swayman's entering his prime and has been consistent in his play.

Reactions: Roll 4 Lines

BiteThisBurrows

Feb 11, 2022
That's every single long term contract.

Hasn't stopped all the other mistakes. Swayman's entering his prime and has been consistent in his play.
but the sample size isn't that large and he has never been a heavy workload number one, he's always had a partner to take half the load. We think he can handle 60 games and playoffs, but it's still unknown.

Reactions: BBruins

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
but the sample size isn't that large and he has never been a heavy workload number one, he's always had a partner to take half the load. We think he can handle 60 games and playoffs, but it's still unknown.

And in 4 years that number may be in the 12s and not hte 8s. That also is a risk. I've seen enough of Swayman to believe he's an elite goalie. If they wanted to see him play a full starter's load, they should have f***ing done it this last year.

albator71

Jan 12, 2010
CANADA
There are those who have a basic strategy of not valuing the goaltender position. Personally, I think that’s nuts. I never want to go through a stretch with bad goaltending that we went through 25-30 years ago. There are teams built like shit brickhouses that flop come playoff time solely because of flaky goaltending. And vice versa.
As a Sens fan I couldn't agree more, here in Ottawa we had shitty goaltending since Anderson left and it's been 7 years without making the playoffs. It doesn't matter how strong a team you have except maybe Edmonton where they have the two best player in the world you can't win if you don't have solid goaltending night in night out.

BiteThisBurrows

Feb 11, 2022
As a Sens fan I couldn't agree more, here in Ottawa we had shitty goaltending since Anderson left and it's been 7 years without making the playoffs. It doesn't matter how strong a team you have except maybe Edmonton where they have the two best player in the world you can't win if you don't have solid goaltending night in night out.
Vegas won the cup with 3rd string goaltending. I agree you need a good goalie, just not sure how good he has to be. Winnipeg has had one of the best goalies in the league for years and they haven't won anything.
It's a team game, and you spend too much money on ANY position and that guy better deliver or you are done.

nORRis8

The NHL, the stupidest League ever.
Sep 16, 2015
RedDeer, Alberta
Vegas won the cup with 3rd string goaltending. I agree you need a good goalie, just not sure how good he has to be. Winnipeg has had one of the best goalies in the league for years and they haven't won anything.
It's a team game, and you spend too much money on ANY position and that guy better deliver or you are done.
We had Tuukka and won squat.
What?:sarcasm:

Reactions: BMC

UncleRico

May 8, 2017

Well I doubt he’s going to be just good considering what he’s already put out over the past few years.

However let’s say he’s just good. Then in 3-4 years his contract will probably be in the 8-12 range among goalies which is what a good goaltender will be getting.

If you give him 7 right now, that’s already going to put him as the 7th highest paid goalie. Next year shesterkin and oettinger gets paid and that would move swayman to the 9th in the league.

In 3-4 years At $7m (half way through his contract) his contract swayman would be getting paid as a league average goalie.

Reactions: BiteThisBurrows

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut

Avs won a Cup with Darcy Kuemper. Pens with Matt Murray. Blackhawks with Coery Crawford.

Let's not forget Jordan Billington.

Therewolf31

Jul 24, 2024
To be clear, I knew Swayman had a chance to be a franchise goalie when they drafted him out of Maine. Followed him there and got a sense of what a battler he is.
I want the player, for his entire career. The expectation of early money, hell I see this in my industry
Aerospace/Defense. Kids come out of college and expect to be paid like they have 10 years on the job.
Boomer screaming get off my lawn, maybe, I just was brought up differently and believe I understand what "earning " something really means. Totally lost concept in pro sports.
Right on!

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Unless and until Goalie Bob can pull a rabbit out of his ass, the short answer is:

Better than Korpisalo. A lot better.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Avs won a Cup with Darcy Kuemper. Pens with Matt Murray. Blackhawks with Coery Crawford.

Let's not forget Jordan Billington.

Yeah, all you need is 2 of the 3 best players in the world to pull it off...it's soooo easy to get a Makar/MacKinnon, Crosby/Malkin, Kane/Toews/Keith.

And Binnington has a cup because ROR went God mode and destroyed Bergeron/Marchand/Pastrnak in games 4-7 with 5 goals, 7 points, +7 vs a combined 2 goals, 4 points and -5 for the Perfection Line

Reactions: Dr Quincy

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
Yeah, all you need is 2 of the 3 best players in the world to pull it off...it's soooo easy to get a Makar/MacKinnon, Crosby/Malkin, Kane/Toews/Keith.

And Binnington has a cup because ROR went God mode and destroyed Bergeron/Marchand/Pastrnak in games 4-7 with 5 goals, 7 points, +7 vs a combined 2 goals, 4 points and -5 for the Perfection Line
Adin Hill?

Reactions: PlayMakers

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
Exactly. Bobrovsky won a cup this year, and you know what? He was average in net (.906 SV%). We made him look good, because we were an offensive shit-show in the Florida series. Hellebuyck? He was atrocious this post season (.870). These are 2 of the highest paid goalies in the league.

You don't need elite goaltending to win a cup. BAD Goaltending can cost you a cup, but you don't need elite goaltending to win one. All you need is a guy who can consistently stop the shots he's supposed to stop, and basically not suck. The difference between a top 5 goalie and a middle of the pack goalie is about 1 less goal every 6-7 games they play in.

How many Cups did Henrik Lundqvist win?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad